Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:41:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZKit1/2 output transformer selection info request (Read 10644 times)
itseattlewa
Verified Member

ZKit1/2 output transformer selection info request
10/20/16 at 11:09:36

This is a technical question for the ZKit1/ZKit2. Looking at the specifications the ZKit is 20hz to 20khz. However, the recommended output transformer in the parts list is the Edcor GXSE10-6-8K. The technical specification for the GXSE10-8K (6ohm output) is 40hz to 18K hz.

Does the ZKit1/2 really have 20-20 range or is the true range limited by the output transformer which is 40hz to 18Khz?

Also, based on information I gathered from multiple Decware sources (video, schematics) the output transformer used for the Zen amp (SE84C/CS/ZS) appears to be 15W/10K/6Ohm. Would the Edcor 10W/10K/6ohm or 15W/10K/6ohm be a better match than the Edcor 10W/8K/6ohm?

Is the output transformer requirements different for the ZKit1/2 than the Zen amp (SE84C) given the solid state rectifier circuit instead of the tube rectifier?

The ZKit1/2 just offers the circuit board so the builder must choose the parts. Are there reasonably priced alternatives to the Edcor for output transformers?

Any technical information on the output transformer selection would be helpful.

Regards

IP Logged
Smoke_Tester
Verified Member

Re: ZKit1/2 output transformer selection info request
Reply #1 - 10/22/16 at 21:21:18

Great questions I'm mulling over as well. Thinking heavy iron is better but puzzled over specs being a variable considering speaker rating. I'm solving for 95db speaks that are 8 ohm. I've looked at the input/output impedance as a math melt-down!

(1) Would the higher input 10K vs 8K (recommended) spec affect the 6 ohm (recommended) output when used with 8 ohm speaks?

(2) Would the higher wattage OPT's be a bonus? Suggesting big iron 15 Watters produce better bass then a 10W? That is with a 2W amp? I never caught Decware Zen OPT's ship at 15W. Hmmmm?

(3) For my application (8 ohm speaks), would a dedicated 8 ohm output be preferred over the recommended 6 ohm? Then which input 8K or 10K?

Seems it's safe to go with 8K/6ohm, maybe 15W? But I want the max output for known 8 ohm speakers. When looking at the relation between input impedance and output load matching it gets into a dark science for beginners (me). It's good that Edcor is well received from build reviews where we can lock in on their products and forget the spendy super OPT's. Just getting the magic spec the first time is the trick!

IP Logged
itseattlewa
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/22/16 at 23:34:46

The ZKit1 v2 (2011) schematic shows two 9800 ohm EM406 Decware output transformers. The Decware 12 part construction video (on youtube) shows the pt-to-pt assembly of a Zen amp (SE84C or later) and mentions in the video the OPT being 15 Watts.

That is where I got the impression that Zen amps use 15W-10K-6ohm OPTs. That might not be correct.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/26/16 at 22:50:32

I have tried to answer the output transformer question in the ZKIT forums a few times in the past.
This link: https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1419973563

....is my build. And there are a couple others in that same forum area.
I can try and answer any specific question you might have.

IP Logged
Smoke_Tester
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 10/29/16 at 19:17:00

Seatlle > Interesting that Dec may have shipped those 15W buggers. Not to Hi-jack your thread with the imp stuff, but got excited with is bigger better in wattage? I'm posting a new transformer question with the matching voo-doo over on "KIT1".  

Here > https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1477772591

Core > Wow, excellent pair of beasts! Looks like they're the GXSE10-6-8K 10W babies. Kinda looking for guys with 15W iron.

IP Logged
ReggiNason
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 03/29/19 at 19:25:32

Hi...I am required to select a transformer for a control panel. This control Panel consist of 10 MCBs for 10A each for 110 VAC supply.
The incoming power is 220VAC and I need a step down transformer for 110VAC. Could someone someone guide me for the VA ratings for this tranformer. I am considering a 10KVA transformer, is this going to be too much?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print