Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 04:08:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
EDCOR transformer non-stock (Read 36945 times)
Core32
Seasoned Member

EDCOR transformer non-stock
12/30/14 at 21:06:03

The recommended EDCOR transformers are custom order only it seems after contacting them.
Did everyone building one of these kits wait 6-8 weeks for these or is there a second source or replacement more readily available?
All the other components were in shopping carts ready to order and this fact made me think twice about the wait.

IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Re: EDCOR transformer non-stock
Reply #1 - 01/02/15 at 15:54:08

Mine only took a few weeks to come from Edcor.
You can spend your time getting all the other items together and take your time building it. Good luck and post some pics

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/02/15 at 19:27:01

Thanks for the reply.
Dang! I waste so much time deciding on what I want to do then wait some more!  :(
So "few weeks" was what for you? Online they say 6-8 weeks....

IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #3 - 01/05/15 at 13:52:41

Core32,
  I just checked my notes and it took 4 weeks for the transformers to arrive. I spent most of that time thinking thru how to build the amp. Not all the part from Mouser shipped at the same time also.
While you are waiting you can layout and make the case. Think of any other options you want to include. I added a stand by switch to my amp. I can keep power to the tube heaters while not having the whole amp on.
 See my post "First time build" to see what I did. This was the first thing I ever built. Also there are parts needed that are not listed to complete the amp.

JPV

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/09/15 at 01:54:42

Thanks jpv.
Now I have a new problem   Shocked
I want to go with tube rectification instead of the SS version shown in the kit schematic.
However, when I look at the recommended Edcor transformer I notice it does not include the second secondary winding for the 5U4G I want to use.
Is the Hammond 272FX (or similar) a suitable replacement for the Edcor? And is it similar to what is used in the Super Zen for tube rectification?

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/09/15 at 21:10:53

Edcor output transformers ordered.
I'm going to use a Hammond power transformer to get a head start on the build while I wait on the Edcors.
Mouser keeps several mA level selections in stock to choose from even in the 2 secondary model.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/28/15 at 18:36:09

Low and behold Edcor shipped my output transformers today.  :)
Only 19 days after placing the order.
Much faster than expected.
Now I need to speed up the process of putting together the other pieces since I thought I had planty of time...

IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #7 - 01/29/15 at 13:38:47

WOW! 19 days is fantastic, Take your time bulding this. It is fustrating making a mistake and having to correct it. I made a few while building mine. Post some pics while you go along we love to see pics.
Good luck

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/04/15 at 15:33:51

Transformers arrived and look nice.
Now just need to get the top panel in...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/28/15 at 01:34:21

So I just completed a p-to-p prototype build on a piece of composite board for a test run and beauty fit check.
Testing voltages and such to see if my 5U4G-B rectifier circuit was designed properly.
Voltages are a bit high, I believe, due to the loads being less than what I planned for.
Anyone have a method for estimating (or actual measurement of) the current requirements for the ZKIT design?
I decided to load up all the tubes for a test run and...............Holy Cow!
What an unbelievable sound from 2W or less!
Zero burn in time so I expect it to only get better  :)
My grounding scheme just to get this running quickly is, at best, very weak, but I have to say I hear zero hum until I turn the volume up to near 95% with no input.
I have a question. My DAC can be configured as Fixed output or variable.
What is the best method for controlling volume with the Zen? Turn it up high and use the DAC variable out? Or fix the DAC output and use the Zen volume control?
Holly Cole is singing in my room right now but it sounds like she is up on stage and further back than my walls would allow  ;)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 02/28/15 at 01:38:57

Congrats on the build and the great sound.

I would try the volume control both ways, and in fact play around to see where you prefer the amp set at. . .in one system I like my amp about 3/4 volume and control the source volume. . . the amp sounds a bit better at 3/4 volume than all the way up in some systems. There's no right way, the right way is the way you like the best. . . !

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/28/15 at 03:06:27

Thanks Lon.
It's going to take some will power to tear this apart now and get it into the real chassis...   Sad
Just enjoying the image I get and it's only 5 hours old Smiley
With this crappy grounding I will likely go with keeping the Zen at a constant no-hum volume and adjust the input from the DAC.
You are correct of course that once I have the build solidified, whatever sounds best is the way to go.
I am using SV83s so I will be experimenting with the Hazen grid mod tomorrow.
I'll have to read some more to get the opinions on that as far as effect.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/28/15 at 03:52:47

A picture of the work in progress....

Zen_Core1small.jpg
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/17/15 at 11:39:11

Well the Edcor power transformers finally shipped so I can now finish both builds and replace the weaker Hammond power transformer.
I decided to build two identical amps so that I can build the first one while continuing to enjoy the prototype.
The majority of the parts for the second amp will come from the prototype.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/27/15 at 00:38:02

Slow progress but I'm still at it.
First of 2 is in the wiring stages. Mechanical assembly is complete.

Zen_BRW.jpg
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/27/15 at 00:40:23

And a different angle.

Zen_BRW2.jpg
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 07/08/15 at 20:44:56

Both complete now and running as bridged mono-blocks.
First pic...

Dual_Billy_Zen1_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 07/08/15 at 20:48:39

And the last pic for this project.
Very happy with the sound from these now, including the updated components used over the kit level.

Dual_Billy_Zen2_001.JPG
  IP Logged
BRN
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 10/07/15 at 22:26:32

Core32,

What power transformer did you use for your beautiful build?

I built the kit using the circuit board and was thinking of building another kit with tube rectification.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 10/07/15 at 22:31:02

BRN,
Welcome to the forum!
This one: https://edcorusa.com/xpwr178
Edcor, XPWR178 in case the link doesn't work.

IP Logged
BRN
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 10/08/15 at 17:12:52

Thank you.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 11/20/15 at 22:33:56

Nice build!

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 11/21/15 at 01:17:52

:)  Thanks!

They probably sound better to me than anyone else since there is a lot of B,S&T in there.  ;)

IP Logged
Falconer
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #23 - 04/04/16 at 20:09:33

Core32, what meter did you install on your amp? Catalog number?

HDT Alt Tuning, ZMC1, ZDSD, ZSB, REL Subwoofer, Audio Electronic AE-3 Preamp, Audio Electronic PH-1 Phono Preamp, Audio Electronic SE-811 Amp, (2)Otari MX-5050Bii-2, Otari MTR-10, (2)Otari MTR-12, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Krystal MC cartridge
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 04/04/16 at 20:47:45

From a thread where I am helping Martin a bit:

Quote:
I used this one:
http://www.partsconnexion.com/CONNEX-75111.html

They also have a square flanged one of the same reading if you like that look better. Round fit my top panel better.

IP Logged
Falconer
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #25 - 04/05/16 at 14:33:33

Thanks Core32, sort of a toss up between round/square. If I add one I might just have to flip a coin Wink

HDT Alt Tuning, ZMC1, ZDSD, ZSB, REL Subwoofer, Audio Electronic AE-3 Preamp, Audio Electronic PH-1 Phono Preamp, Audio Electronic SE-811 Amp, (2)Otari MX-5050Bii-2, Otari MTR-10, (2)Otari MTR-12, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Krystal MC cartridge
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 04/05/16 at 15:01:40

I used the round because I was running out of panel space.
I don't know if it would be any better on the square flange but the mounting screw holes on the round one are VERY close to breaking through the large opening for the meter body. It worked out ok but was worrisome.
But then again I am not that handy with hole-saws and such so you may not have any issue.

IP Logged
Falconer
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 04/14/16 at 20:44:40

Hey Core32,

What size case did you use for the amp? Would you make it larger if you did it over?

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 04/14/16 at 20:58:18

I used this Hammond case:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/177/HWCHAS1310AL-61733.pdf

I would not use any significantly larger one because using two amps in mono-block form would just be too much, but due to working space inside and my older hands I also would not want to try it any smaller.
If you look at my pictures you will see the top panel is pretty full.
It may appear there is empty space but inside there are components and wiring between every externally visible part.
Bigger would make it easier to work on but it also adds unnecessary length to all the signal paths, especially for p2p wiring.

IP Logged
Falconer
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 04/15/16 at 12:47:05

Thanks Core32

IP Logged
claudio
Verified Member

Reply #30 - 12/15/17 at 21:42:56

really nice build core, ill start to build mine next month and ill copy your meter lol, im curious about tube rectifier, do u think i can upgrade my board with that?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print