03/19/24 at 11:18:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Who has a ZTPRE? (Read 25084 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Who has a ZTPRE?
04/14/16 at 18:01:12

And what have you connected it to and how have you connected it?

I'm assuming this item is already in production and has been shipped.

If it hasn't, well, oops!!

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Re: Who has a ZTPRE?
Reply #1 - 04/14/16 at 22:38:40

Mine has not arrived yet.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Bill
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/14/16 at 23:28:00

ILance, let us know what you think of it once you get it good and broke in...

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/15/16 at 02:15:17

Will do Bill. Hoping it comes soon.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 04/22/16 at 03:35:33

The ZTPRE's are coming up on the build sheet soon.  Looks like they'll be underway in the next two weeks.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/25/16 at 22:36:53

Wow, sounds like a long wait to someone that's ordered one.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/24/16 at 17:59:39

Still waiting on stuff?  Don't you hate that?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 05/26/16 at 04:36:32

Indeed, in the instant gratification world we live in the wait is rude. We have 64 people on the build sheet and it's been holding at that number for months putting the turn-around time at 10 - 12 weeks. With the ZTPRE's the testing and QC process is tripled over normal since it is a new product. The first one shipped out this week after waiting in the shipping department for at least a week. The second one is on my final QC bench now.  The third one is in testing and the fourth one has just been built.

If I had my phone out here I could upload some pictures of these units.  Sadly some idiots decided it would be a great idea to make a phone into a camera, computer, etc., etc., so we now have this dilemma.  If I would have used a camera we'd be looking at pictures right now instead of excuses.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
DB2

Reply #8 - 05/26/16 at 19:25:16

How do we find out where we are in the queue?

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/26/16 at 22:58:33

We're all acustomed to instant gratification these days but for a quality product that may well be a keeper for life it's worth the wait for me. My ZMA is a keeper for sure and the ZT pre will be as well. I consider Decware products custom made, hand made, by Americans and who stands behind their products better? Yea, I'll wait.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 05/26/16 at 23:02:00

ILance,

Damn right! Each Decware product I have is valued so highly. The wait is hard. . .but it's worth it.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

DECWARE Waiting List
Reply #11 - 05/28/16 at 05:08:45

As of today there are presently 65 people on the list putting the current turn around time at 10~12 weeks. Once we pull parts for your order, you will get automated emails from the list letting you know the status. Below is an example of the email notification you will get, complete with a link to the real time build sheet.

Hi <%=Name%>,

Just a note to let you know the status of your <%=Model%> order has been updated to: <%=Status%>

If you ordered electronics from us, we have a real-time status list that can be found here:

http://creatorexport.zoho.com/decwarehighfidelity/decware/pdf/Amplifier_Waiting_...

The link above is only for Electronics.  Cables and other misc products are not listed.

NOTE: It takes this link a minute to open because it is downloading a pdf file of the list to your browser so it will open as soon as it has completely downloaded.  

STATUS KEY

Spot Secured in Build Que - Means the order is on the build sheet so that your place in line is secured.
Parts Pulled - Means all the parts required to build your order have been pulled so that it's ready when it's time to go on the bench for construction.
Waiting on Part - Means all the parts required to build your order were pulled and at least one is on backorder from the parts supplier.
On Bench - Means your order is now being built.
Testing/QC - Means your order is now built, and being tested.
Packed - Means your order has passed QC and has been packed.
Shipped - Means your order has shipped.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #12 - 06/04/16 at 03:10:49

The owner's manual is now available at the following link:

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ztpreowner.pdf

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/04/16 at 10:40:51

Steve Deckert wrote on 06/04/16 at 03:10:49:
The owner's manual is now available at the following link:

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ztpreowner.pdf

Steve

Most of the text doesn't show for me.  I can see the green circles and lines indicating that there should be a description of some sort, but there is nothing as far as text is concerned.  I don't know if it's a problem with my browser (using Microsoft Edge in Windows 10).  Will try and install Adobe Reader to see if it comes up in that, but I haven't had any problems reading any other PDF's directly in the browser.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 06/04/16 at 11:26:43

Have you tried another browser? I'm using a completely different system, Safari on a MacBook and can see all text.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #15 - 06/06/16 at 18:49:34

opens right up in Windows 7 or 10 using Chrome.  You could always download and try Adobe directly......

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 06/07/16 at 22:25:57

Yes, it was my Edge Browser, it works fine in Adobe Reader.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 06/10/16 at 22:43:34

The ZTpre arrived today. I don't know what it is but I go through changes to my system in waves. This makes critical listening for differences almost impossible because of too many variables. Ah, but this is the life of a obsessive compulsive audio fanatic.

It started this morning, I put the final coat of shellac on the 75" long slab of maple. I then moved some diffusers around now that I don't have an audio rack in the middle. I had already put new KT66 tubes in the ZMA so they're not burned in yet and of course the new ZTpre will need some break-in time. Oh, I almost forgot, I got new Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme XLR cables and they are very good. So too many changes at once. I'm crazy, I know better.

It's really too early to give a good description of what the ZTpre is doing but it has already solved an issue I had with the amount of power my ZMA was providing to my Janszen zA2.1 speakers. As good as they sounded I had no headroom to speak of. Man has that changed. The ZTpre might look like a V6 motor but there must be a turbo charger under the hood.

Right out of the gate im very impressed with the sound so let's give it a few hours. I've got to read the manual, can't get the remote to work, still futzing with stuff.

Lance

image_036.jpg

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 06/10/16 at 23:27:13

ILance,
There is no such thing as a "Final coat of shellac".
I keep slapping it on until the local Lowe's runs out of the stuff!
I'm a shellac junky!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #19 - 06/11/16 at 13:24:00

Awesome Ilance. Look forward to reading more. I don't need one....but I want one. Sure, it opens up Pandora's box for V6 NOS Plat tube rolling. I welcome the fun!

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 06/11/16 at 13:27:39

Congrats! I bet you are going to learn to love it.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 06/11/16 at 14:36:59

I am already loving it. Without full break-in, I am already realizing a bigger sound stage and dynamics galore. Still playing with dialing in the ZTpre. After 100 hours or so l will put my NOS tubes back into the ZMA. Oh boy, tube rolling is going to be a little more expensive having to use 6 identical tubes but hey what am I gonna do, take it with me when I'm gone?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 06/11/16 at 15:12:16

Exactly. You can't take it with you. I guess I won't try. . . Wink

If I had balanced inputs on my amp I'd probably go this route and use the balanced outputs on the DirectStream. . . but that would also mean new cables, and there's no room on my rack for this full chassis preamp. So I'll just have to leave things as is. . . which is great because as it is is wonderful!

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 06/11/16 at 15:12:47

I have been listening to a lot of jazz, big band and acoustic guitar lately. I am now compelled to listen to a lot more rock and fusion. There is a lot of slam, crunching bass. The room sounds great, it just wants to rock.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 06/11/16 at 15:27:34

Cool. I can only take so much rock and fusion, no matter the slam and crunch. Smiley The new DS firmware is supplying some of that here too.

I don't prefer my DS with the CSP2+ so I'm not sure I would with the ZTPre. And the ZP3 loves the CSP2+ it's like Goldilock's porridge.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 06/11/16 at 15:40:21

I listened to the ZMA without a preamp for a long time but I could really never turn it up with these speakers without clipping. So now i have the headroom I crave. I have gone back and forth with the CSP3. The CSP3 resides in another system currently in my living room with the ERRx speakers. I am loving the ZTpre. If it sounds this good now I can't wait for the caps to settle in. I invite any of the Decware family to come by for a visit and listen to the new ZTpre if your anywhere close to Maryland.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 06/11/16 at 15:50:16

Cool, having that headroom really is a good thing. I have that without a preamp in my system, so I'm lucky as I think the DirectStream works very well as a preamp and doesn't need the "additional" and "amped up" sound from the CSP2+. . . which makes me think I probably wouldn't be into the balanced/ZBit sound either. But who knows. Maybe one day I'll discover. But for me I'm going to somehow try to get the new PS Audio transport shortly after it's available, that's my next goal (as I think that's going to improve my hi-res playback) and probably the only thing I can afford--and by selling things I have--for the next few years.

As happy as you are now, I think when the ZTPre is broken in you're going to be very happy!

IP Logged
DB2

Reply #27 - 06/11/16 at 23:25:50

ILance, did you ever use the ZMA with other preamps?

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 06/11/16 at 23:57:49

I still have my CSP3 and have used it on and off with the ZMA. It now resides in a second system. Before that I had an Audible Illusions MB3. The AI was a good preamp but left me still looking for more. The best thing about the AI was the John Curl designed phono stage, it was awesome but still a single ended unit.

After burn-in I can put the CSP3 up against the ZT pre to hear the differences.

The ZT allows me to use the balanced out from my DS DAC and into the Balanced inputs of my ZMA. Holy cow, that's a lot of voltage. I'm hearing more weight and dynamics. Lots of meat on the bones.

Where are the other ZMA owners? I have #6. I would love to hear other impressions.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #29 - 06/12/16 at 23:00:10

Plus note that you needed the new Pre to get the headroom you were lacking for your JanZens. I have no such problem with my CSP3 and the liquidity and slam of my KS6063's let through.

Enjoy.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 06/15/16 at 20:45:10

ILance, so, how is the ZTPRE doing?

Have you had a chance to do an A/B comparison between the CSP3 and the ZTPRE?   I have an original CSP and I've thought about upgrading but I'm not sure to which one of these units.

What can you share at this point?

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 06/15/16 at 22:21:08

Matchstikman,

I have continued in the ZTPre support forum

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1465006766

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 06/21/16 at 21:48:09

I don't think anyone is looking in the ZTPRE support forum especially since almost no one has one, yet.  I don't have one so I can't really offer anything in the support forum.

Anyone else besides ILance have one of these with thoughts to share?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print