Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Van Alstine
02/17/16 at 23:57:29

I've been jones-ing to try AVA forever.

1) they are 5 miles from me and make great stuff
2) I do want to try the Synergy 450 against my ZMA
3) running my Adagio's will be fun too...... .

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0912/audio_by_van_alstine_synerg...

http://avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=165&Itemid=2...

Anyone have any experience with Van Alstine?
I would run my CSP3 in to it of course.

PS = ZMA stays put = masterpiece.

My ZMA can drive my modified Adagio's.....borrowing the words of a Reviewer: "with slutty voluptuousness. ....For brilliant Van Gogh colors, verdant textures, or riotous debauchery."

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD!

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
(NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Input Tube~NOS Platinum Ediswan Cryogenic 6922's for Output Tubes & 5U4G-C Rectifier)
10 of 10 for Input tube & *9* of 10 voltage for Output tubes
Volume adjustment usage at 25% to 55% from 0

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *60* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 positions~Cryoset 6H23N-EB's for Inverter Tubes~JAN Sylvania 0A3's & New Quad of Tube Depot Stealth/Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 10%, 15% to 25% max, from 0

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8ohm Taps

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/*122*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

PS: NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 /Inputs = ZMA are breathtaking.............. .

*Also: Cryoset 6H23N-EB's, rotated in and out of Inputs/ZMA*
(Way different internal guts/halo/getter...they are NOT 6N23P-EV's)

NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Input Tube/CSP3 ~ not taken for granted neither......... .

NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 /PRE Outputs of CSP3, running  into ZMA Inputs with Ediswan's = revelatory!

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Re: Van Alstine
Reply #1 - 02/18/16 at 01:43:31

Stone,

I am using the Fet Valve 400R Amplifier for the front 2 Channels of my home theater/2 channel rig. It's the best class D amp ive heard but not in the same league with my ZMA, although I am impressed with the bass it brings out of my Janszen zA2.1 speakers. After testing thoughly in my 2 channel room, it was sent to do home theater duty.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
JazztoGo

Reply #2 - 02/18/16 at 04:34:24

I used to own a whole van alstine setup...Synergy amp HT ---Fet vavle preamp--Fet valve dac.  I loved the combo very musical and clear...someone once described it like seeing thru glass into the music and for me it was like that.  at the timeI was using Vapor audio Breeze speakers and it was a great match.  I got rid of them and went the all tube route and high efficient speakers instead.  I still debate to get another  van alstine setup just because I loved it that much.  Also Frank is great to deal with and top notch customer service.  Its really nice that there are sooo many gereat companies to deal with.

Sadly I did not have my MKIV torri when I had the van alstine so no direct comparison.  Also one more thing, I had the van alstine vision dac in my system the longest and the only thing that made me get rid of it was the ZDSD dac,  that just made the vision dac sound thin and before that I never felt it was thin sounding at all.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 02/18/16 at 14:03:57

Thanks ILance & Jazz to Go. I'm going to pine over it a little more..... .

But, ultimately, I think, at this stage, I'm just going to stick with Tube Rolling.

You know, I know, our Decware Systems can't be beat. Ultimate involvement!

ZMA is in a whole other league as you stated ILance and Jazz to Go - the ZDSD is pretty damn special with the Output Transformer's. IT DOES, make many a DAC sound thin by comparison. Believe me, since the summer of 2013....I've had a few in here. Adding the Shunyata Alpha digital powercord.....has really taken the ZDSD to its ultimate.

Cheers, enjoy!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #4 - 02/21/16 at 21:45:41

I have worked for Frank Van Alstine, part time, for the past couple years.  I own a Synergy 450, a FetValve 400R, an ABX comparator, and can borrow just about anything they make.  The real gem that has come out of there in the past few years is the phono preamp that supports both moving magnet and moving coil phono cartridges.  For $500 its a steal and sounds amazing.

Stone - if you want to try something, I'd be glad to make it happen.

Dan

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #5 - 02/21/16 at 22:37:38

Oh, and by the way, the FetValve 400R is NOT a class D amp.  AVA does not make any class D amps.  The FetValve 400R is class A-B with a push pull complimentary mosfet output stage biased into class A.

Dan

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 02/22/16 at 15:33:04

Thanks Dan, very much appreciated. I will follow up with you over the next month. I would like to try the Synergy 450.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 02/26/16 at 17:06:02

Dan, how awesome; you take part in making Van Alstine sound great.

I want to possibly replace my Emotiva XPA-2 that drives my Polk SDA SRS 1.2's. Is the 450 a common ground Amp? I don't want to assume it is. Most one chassis Amps are common ground....mono-blocks (no) of course unless modified.

I need common ground to run the Stereo Dimensional Array function in my Polk's.

For 2 ohm loads and up....and a rock solid 225 watts per...she should be a nice fit.

http://polksda.com/pdfs/SDASRS1-2.pdf

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #8 - 03/03/16 at 23:12:00

Stone

The Synergy 450 and FetValve 400/600 are all common ground.  The new 1000w FetValve monoblocks, which will be released shortly - Frank will be using a pair at the upcoming Axpona audio show in Chicago in April, are the only amps AVA makes that are not common ground.

Those speakers look awesome

Dan

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 03/04/16 at 14:09:03

Thanks Dan!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/07/16 at 02:52:53

Hello guys.  I am an owner of an original Torii.  I blew out a tube and right now I'm not in the mood to replace, etc.  I'm thinking of getting a Van Alstine, 240, to go with an original CSP.  

How will that sound?

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/07/16 at 03:45:05

What speakers will you be using with the AVA 240?

Obviously AVA amps are designed to work well with tube preamps since them make 'em also.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/07/16 at 13:32:50

I have a pair of Decware floorstanding speakers.  Ziggy made them for me.  I want to say the model is MG944 or MG994, but I can't remember.  They are an early version.  I don't see them sold on the Decware site.  So, I don't know if they are in production any longer.  They sound great.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/07/16 at 18:13:42

MG944

If you decide on an AVA amp you may want to consider getting the double die option.

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129&Itemid=2...

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/07/16 at 20:16:55

What exactly is the double die option and what does it do for me?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 04/07/16 at 20:21:47

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/07/16 at 21:56:53

Lon, I read the article, but I'm a technical dummy and I didn't understand what it meant.  If I ever decide to go this way I'll call them up and ask them to translate into English.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 04/07/16 at 22:18:49

I may be both a dummie and a doofus in technical matters. . . . What I got out of that was basically that the optional devices will be beefier and probably dish out more current, and will make the amplifier both more capable of handling troublesome loads and probably offer improved clarity and dynamics. Sounds like a not so bad deal for a smallish price if one were getting a Van Alstine amp. Personally, I have no desire to ever have a solid state amp in my system again.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 04/07/16 at 22:36:17

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 04/10/16 at 15:43:29

I would like to reiterate that the FetValve 400R sounds very good in my HT setup. As Dank pointed out the 400R is not a class D amp, I stand corrected. I purchased the amp used from David Janszen and misunderstood during our conversation about class D amps. I was impressed that Frank would extend the warranty to the second owner, a great guy to talk to as well.

I use the 400R in my HT without a preamp, direct from Oppo105 and sounds wonderful with my Monitor Audio GX300 speakers but I have put the 400R up against the ZMA with my Janszen zA2.1s extensively. The 400R shows obvious advantages having 200 watts of power. It handles the bass very well on this set of speakers. The sound stage is there, highs are clean, but not sterile, transparent, articulate with great detail. The mid range is good not as good as the ZMA, just not taking advantage of the zA2.1s glorious mid range. There is musicality here, lots of toe tapping and head bobbing.

The ZMA..... This is probably the best sounding amp i have ever heard. There is a great deal of beauty in the sound. I have spent many evenings in an almost trance like state with the ZMA / zA2.1 combo, in a wonderful euphoria. My only critique is with my Janszen speakers there is very little headroom. I'm expecting that to change when the ZT pre gets here.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #20 - 04/15/16 at 17:26:42

This post is also in the Axpona thread....but it belongs here too.

My Quest for Van Alstine.

Dan, now that my Listening Room is all set, including NOS Tubes, I want the common ground (I need for my Polk 1.2's) Fet Valve 600R for my Solid State Rig. Savings plan for the summer of 2017 purchase has now commenced.

http://polksda.com/pdfs/SDASRS1-2.pdf

http://avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=263&Itemid=2....

I'd love to hear those mono's too (at Axpona or here)! 1.2's can handle up to 1000 watts (even though they can't use unmodified mono-blocks). Damn the square wave odd order clipping.....full speed ahead. However, the 600R Fet Valve ought to combat that some, and will fit my needs quite nicely.

Going to probably need an improvement of my Preamp too. Even though this Rotel is a champ...with Meridian (like/type) split foil caps....makes a great 3 input Preamplifier for Solid State. (Solid State Rig, not to be confused with Listening Room Rig.....obviously).

Solid State Rig:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon III
Pro-Ject Phono Box II
Audio Quest Diamond from Phono Box to Rotel
Sony Bravia XBR 4k
Panasonic BluRay
Kimber Hero WBT to Rotel from Panasonic
Dish Network HD
Kimber KCAG from Dish DVR to Rotel
Rotel 1062 as Preamp
Kimber Timbre to XPA-2
Emotiva XPA-2
Kimber Kable PK10 PALLADIAN Power Cable to XPA-2
Kimber 8TC to Polk's
Polk SRS SDA 1.2
{IN FULL STEREO DIMENSIONAL ARRAY ~ GLORY}

HSU Research
MBM-12 MK2  ....behind Couch

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD
{Extremely Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
(NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Input Tube~NOS/Platinum/E188CC 7308 Cryogenic Mullard's for Output Tubes & 5U4G-C Rectifier)
10 of 10 for Input tube & *9* of 10 voltage for Output tubes
Volume adjustment usage at 25% to 55% from 0

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *60* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/E188CC 7308 Cryogenic Mullard's in my A12 an B12 positions~Ediswan CV2492/6922's for Inverter Tubes~JAN Sylvania 0A3's & New Quad of Tube Depot Stealth/Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 20%, 25 to 30% max, from 0

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8ohm Taps

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/*122*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #21 - 04/16/16 at 15:09:53

I am curious as to what you will find compared to your ZMA with the AVA amp? I was not able to find specs on the transformer or capacitors. Usually a good indicator on how well the depth of the musicality of the amp may be. A main reason I purchased the ZMA was the large capacitors. My Previous amp was a solid state Krell around the same price point as the ZMA but not even close to being as good. I cannot imagine the AVA will sound better than your ZMA however I am not saying the AVA is not a good buy at that price just can't see it being close to what you have with your ZMA.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #22 - 04/16/16 at 16:04:33

Jeff, glad you know the difference now between Solid State (Krell) and the ZMA.

I made it pretty clear in my post, I'm potentially buying the Fet Valve 600R to replace my XPA-2 only....in my Solid State Rig. ????? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

My Listening Room...via every cable and NOS Tubes, exists....because Solid State can't touch the Fidelity of it/in Listening Room......nough' said. My NOS Tubes, Shunyata power cord, Kimber KS6063's and modifying my Adagio's with Mundorf Mcap Supremes (kicks the piss out of anything under 10k/Speaker's), have really topped off the Fidelity.

What I would allow in my Listening Room System, would be these (see reply#10 in the Decware Solid State thread):

"I've considered purchasing First Watt for years:
http://renohifi.com/FirstInStock.htm

and recently the Pass 30.8
http://renohifi.com/PassUsed/PassUsedInStock.htm

Pass Labs XA-30.8 class-A stereo power amp.  Point-8! Demo, excellent condition, about two months old,  three years transferable factory warranty, all factory accessories, new factory double-boxing, Satisfaction Guaranteed.  S/N 30778.  $4995.  

However, I'm so pleased with my CSP3 with ZMA + the best NOS Tubes from Kevin at Upscale = I'm good....with killer quality bass Matchstik.... .

PS=I might eventually have a 30.8 in for fun!
(the 30.8 has been measured to put out 61 watts/ch of continuous power CLASS A)

Like Steve said....get a ZMA to run with your Decware Pre.   Cool."

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #23 - 04/17/16 at 00:15:46

SOT your started the post with,

I've been jones-ing to try AVA forever.

1) they are 5 miles from me and make great stuff
2) I do want to try the Synergy 450 against my ZMA
3) running my Adagio's will be fun too...... .

so that is what prompted my question about being curious with that comparison.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #24 - 04/17/16 at 13:12:10

Always read the whole story.  8-)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 06/16/16 at 14:59:04

So, I received the Van Alstine 240 with the double die power mos-fet option.  I hooked it up to some rather old components, I must admit.  A modded Sony CD player that I had modded with who knows what somewhere in 2003, a Bel Canto DAC1, an original CSP, the 240, to Decware MG944s.  No subwoofer.  Blue Jean cables.  Signal power cords.

This was a replacement to my blue Torii.  Nothing against the blue Torii, just against the maintenance of tubes.  I'm lazy.  If I had the scratch and time I'd invest in a ZMA, but I don't.

First off, it was really, really loud.  Way louder than the Torii ever went.  I had to dial down the CSP way down to about 8 or 9 o'clock.

My test CD was Pink Floyd's The Division Bell.  The song, Marooned.  The bass had slam I did not have before.  The bass drum was tight.  The keyboards had girth.  So far so good.

However, it did sound clinical; more than the Torii ever did.  But, it had what I think would be a realistic sound as opposed to a sugary, liquid as I've heard, coloration.  Sometimes electric guitars are supposed to sound raw and rough and against the grain.

Still, still, it was sterile.  I played the Floyd and other stuff for about an hour.  I had to do some work so I loaded a CD of ocean sounds and it ran that way for about 4 more hours.

I got up at 2am.  I turned it on, really low, played Marooned.  It wasn't bad.  It was better than it was the afternoon before.

So, AVA says they ship their amps already burned in.  I sort of suspect any piece of equipment has to settle in to the other components before it really starts going.  So, I'll keep at this 4 or 5 hour thing for about a week and hopefully it loosens up.

I suspect an upgrade of source and probably the CSP3 or ZTPRE might be the final piece.  While these components still require some kind of tube maintenance I want them.  I want some kind of tube flavor in the chain.  I'd like a better source and something above the Bel Canto DAC1 that I have.  That PS Audio setup Lon has sounds very attractive.  Maybe a set of PILLS, too.

I still haven't attempted vinyl.  That will be this weekend.  Believe it or not I have one of the early Decware phono preamps.  This thing is kind of a mess but it sounded good once.  I've got a Pro-jects tube preamp I got for cheap that I use at the moment.

We shall see....

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #26 - 06/16/16 at 15:54:53

Keep the review coming Match.

AVA for my other Rig will be happening for me in 2017. I got lucky affording the ZMA a couple years ago. Also, sold some gear last year to buy NOS tubes, Power cord and Speaker cable....etc..... . Other half of those sales-went to kids college tuition.

I see your point/not fussin' around with tubes sometimes. But, I need both System's. One reminds of the other's strengths and weaknesses. The ZMA mostly reminds me of the other Rig's weaknesses though. However, the other System is pretty damn good. AVA would be a nice lifetime/set it and forget it. I love to Rock out my SRS SDA Polk 1.2's....but also enjoy their low volume SDA function subtly.

Plus, AVA is right done the road from me. I can order for pickup!  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #27 - 06/16/16 at 17:04:50

......I had a Bel Canto DAC1. That is a blast from the past. Good DAC. I buy local...I worked for Magnepan too...back in 1985 and 86. ...made Maggie's on the manufacturing floor.

Anyway Match, don't lust after the:  PS PWT/PWD combo, PS Audio DSD DAC, Schiit Yagdrasil, NAD M51 (twice), Auralic Vega and Chord QuteHD. OR, the new PS offering (I could get $1000 off on it with the turn in of one of my Audio Alchemy pieces/I own two sets/PRO-32 & 3.0 DAC .....interesting, how they want those old boards/for gleening inspection, ah)?!!!

I owned all of the above...and ALL got their proper seasoning to impress me. And, I can well afford all of them (especially in 2014).

.....but drum roll please! ...........Steve's modified Tascam ~ ZDSD, with his Output Tranny's ~ kicks the piss out of all of the above. I am a proud owner of the ZDSD. I would own one and maybe two of the others above if they were better.

YMMV........ put together your Synergy.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 06/16/16 at 17:43:40

Oh, man, I think my head is about to explode.

My goal is to build a system that can provide enjoyment for the next 10 years.  I have been off the upgrade path for 10+ years now and trust me, the GAS can kill you and drive you crazy.

My current components have served me well.  They just need some upgrading to something stable but not necessarily dazzling, if you know what I mean.   And, I think you do.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 06/17/16 at 15:01:32

Day 2.
Honestly, I was depressed on the way home yesterday afternoon.  I knew the Van Alstine was not going to be as good as a tube amp but I was hoping I would get close.  The SS glare was a bit much.  All I did was think about packing up the amp and sending it back and then start the search for an alternative.  

So, I got home, I turned on the system and just set a CD of ocean sounds on.  I went to the gym.

I came home two hours later and the system was loud.  I didn't remember leaving it on so loud.

I took a shower then I sat down to listen to something.  Before I played anything and replaced the tubes on the CSP with the original set that I had stored away.

I plopped in the same CD, The Division Bell.  And, lo and behold, it was different.  David Gilmour's guitar had warmth.  The glare had dramatically disappeared.  It was so much smoother than before.

I listened to it and I fell asleep which for me is a very good sign because the music was soothing.  Had it been scratchy and rough I wouldn't have been able to let go.  When I woke up I put on some Yo-Yo Ma.  I love the sound of cello.   It was also very good.

So, after 8 hours of burn-in, the amp has started to sing.  I'm not saying it has a rich tube warmth but it has enough.  It is approaching what I thought it could do. It has the slam  of SS with the sugar of tubes.  Hopefully, the sugar will increase a bit more and then I'll be good with everything.

That original CSP is an amazing little unit.  I can only imagine what the CSP3 can do.

This morning I listened to a few things for about 45 minutes and it was nice.  

This weekend I want to add the ZBOX I have to see what that can do.

Let's see what it does after 40 hours....

IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #30 - 06/17/16 at 23:05:27

Let us know if you prefer it over the Tori? I went from a Krell SS to tube and yes the Krell SS had more "slam" I take you mean a bit more drive in the upper bass and low mid such as with drums? Anyway it was not as musical as tube so I don't miss the added pressure of SS since to me it now seemed to sound like just amplified music and not as real as tubes.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #31 - 06/18/16 at 15:36:37

Match, glad to read your 240 is seasoning in. What you stated is the whole reason for my reason to upgrade to AVA (Pre and Power). Replace my Rotel and Emotiva in 2017. Get some more musicality out of this Rig for 2 channel.

Jeff, exactly! ......."sound  like just amplified music and not as real as tubes". So, my Listening Room stays intact (of course-to say the least). AVA, (next year's budget), to close the gap a little in the SS Rig.

Made a great discovery this week. As much as I like the Kimber KS6063. I much prefer new Kimber 8TC in my Listening Room System. The Tonal Balance with nuanced detail is superb. Unfortunately, the sale of the 6063 can't go to Van Alstine this year. No complaints though.

Solid State Rig:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon III
Pro-Ject Phono Box II
AudioQuest Diamond from Phono Box to Rotel
Sony Bravia XBR 4k 55"
Panasonic BluRay
Kimber Hero WBT to Rotel from Panasonic
Dish Network HD / DVR
Kimber KCAG from Dish HD / DVR to Rotel
Rotel 1062 as Preamp
Kimber Timbre to XPA-2
Emotiva XPA-2
Kimber Kable PK10 PALLADIAN Power Cord Cable to XPA-2
Kimber 8TC to Polk's
Polk SRS SDA 1.2
{IN FULL STEREO DIMENSIONAL ARRAY ~ GLORY}

HSU Research
MBM-12 MK2  ....behind Couch

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 06/20/16 at 15:36:49

The system is still in change.

It has become apparent that some things just depend on the recording.  Acoustic recordings are very good, almost amazing.  Beck's Sea Change sounds outstanding.  Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest hits is fantastic.  I've never heard The Boxer with that much clarity.  However, rock music isn't exactly bowling me over.  Boston's first sounds terrible.  In fact, most anything with distorted guitars sound small.

I didn't get a chance to review vinyl yet.  Hopefully, this weekend I can do that.  I've got a new tube for the ZBOX arriving this week.  It dawned on me that the tube in the ZBOX hasn't been changed in maybe 8 years, if that.

I still think I need a better source and a CSP3 to really let things shine, but it is promising.  More than last week.

My brother was over to my house this weekend and I had him listen to David Gilmour's new release, Rattle That Lock.  He said it sounded glorious.  That's a good sign.  Maybe, I'm jaded as to what good sound is good sound.

So, hopefully, everything goes great.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #33 - 06/20/16 at 16:54:47

Well, that's good news, that another listener loves the sound, and that you really do to at times. This is the danger for the audiophile who really loves music: there are many ways to get your system to make the great recordings shine like a lazy diamond, but the mediocre and worse recordings are exposed for what they are and the life can be removed from the qualities they did have. I've struggled hard to build a system that I can play all my recordings on and enjoy them. It took me quite some time, and a whole lot of dollars, but I feel I've gotten there and I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into it. . . but you know how we audiophiles are. I just ordered a PS Audio P10 to replace my P5. I've lusted for a P10 since they were introduced. . .and PS Audio just offered an amazing deal on them (60 percent of the usual price) and I caved. I can sell my P5 and my Power Plant Premier and put a big dent in the price so I went for it.

I am not sure what your power treatment situation is Match. . . I found three things that really made my system as satisfying as it is now beyond the Decware components and speakers. First: excellent sources; I didn't find that in Decware sources myself, and I picked a few lemons from the trees before finding great ones. Second: power treatment. The PS Audio pathway worked well for me and I have been climbing the chain. And thirdly cabing: with a fantastic source and power treatment in hand. . . you can hear the fine nuances and cabling became the way to do the tailoring to taste fork me. When I hit upon VooDoo Cable it really seemed as if my search was over, and it has been for a while now. My choices in these areas have somehow allowed me to get the system where I want it, where all my recordings are listenable, and the listening is very satisfying. I feel lucky, really I do.

But if anything Match just follow whatever path leads you to enjoy the music. I've spent enough on my system to probably have a luxury car and a daily driver in my driveway . . . there was the window when I could, and I did. And I guess I don't regret it. Would I do it again? Maybe not. A saner me wouldn't. I might have stuck with vinyl and just used my dollars to find the records I want and ignore the sea of other recordings out there that I now seem addicted to experiencing. If you can be sane and practical find a way to enjoy music on the system you have with some embellishing and polishing. And relax into the sound, let it wash away the dirt of the everyday as Art Blakey as said it can.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #34 - 06/20/16 at 17:55:26

Oh yeah, my PS Audio P3 and Shunyata Alpha Digital Pcord, are a must.

My crappy recordings are spun in the SS Rig passively.
In which, if I had to attach a percentage to....of my 700 Disc's and 180+ pieces of Vinyl....is only 10 to 15% crap.
Love SiriusXM Satellite Radio with the big Polk's too. HT and my Vinyl.

So, for me the two Rigs are a must. Decware is the whole other world System that most of my friends can't wrap their brains around. They can hear the difference....they are just not willing to pay for it. So, my SS Rig listed above is the WOW(!!!!) for them.

......especially when I deliver damn near 600 watts per channel thru the Polk 1.2's.....from Concert Disc's or Daryl's House from my DVR.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #35 - 06/20/16 at 18:14:53

Just one system needed for me and my listeners "git it." And boy I don't need that kind of sound level your SS rig delivers. . . and I'd probably run away from it! But we're all different. Looking forward to my P10.

Match, get out your phono rig and see how rock sounds via that!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #36 - 06/20/16 at 18:19:33

Oh yeah, I have to back the SPL's off and find the sweet spot db SPL's. The shear SCALE of the event/sound can't be beat....for that sort of thing that includes the visual.

Decware/Kimber Select/and my modded Adagio's is where the real music lives. Thank goodness!

PS - my Listener's "git it" too....but they can't wrap their brains around the cost....and are not willing to pay for it. So, it is fun to have the over achieving mid-fi SS Rig that they can understand. Vinyl in SDA...is damn good with it....for such a modest Vinyl set up I have.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #37 - 06/20/16 at 18:31:20

Cool. A matter of taste I guess. I don't want one. Just one system that does it for me. And it gets the scale right. . . so no need for something else.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #38 - 06/20/16 at 18:37:25

I understand/different tastes.

What really freaks them out is my bevy of 2K worth of NOS Platinum 6922 tube types. Takes my Decware CSP3 and ZMA to a whole other level. Stock is good. NOS Plat' and Kimber Select....other worldly.

Anyway, I digress. Match, keep the AVA news coming down the Pike with more time on her.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #39 - 06/20/16 at 18:43:14

Oh I know tubes make a difference indeed. I have excellent tubes in all my components, nothing stock. Stock is great, and consistently available items for the most part. But judicious tube-rolling takes things to another level. I don't bother to tell anyone what I pay for tubes so there's no sticker shock. And I don't personally believe in some of these online dealers, I won't pay those type of prices or find I need to.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #40 - 06/20/16 at 19:05:57

Yeah, I've paid some expense for my NOS 6922 types. However, very pleased with the results and plan on getting quite a few years out of them.

I only tell a select few what I have invested in my Decware based System. These are the same people that own  32K+ boats, they only use four hours each/four times in June, July and August and make payments year round on them. I/we use/listen/enjoy~relax with our Music System's, 1000+ hours per year vs. their 48 to 64 hours of boat usage. THIS OBJECTIVE FACT, PUTS IT IN PERSPECTIVE FOR THEM.   Grin Grin

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #41 - 06/20/16 at 19:44:00

Okay. That's not a social circle I've ever gotten dizzy running around in.

Match, let us know what the turntable/Decware pre combo sounds like when you get it spinning.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 06/20/16 at 20:53:46

I've got boxes of gear from 10 years ago; a bunch of massive PS Audio cables, some new PS Audio power receptacles that I can use.  I don't see myself spending big $$$ on power cables.  I've got Blue Jean cables from way, way long ago that will need to fit the bill.  They have to.

I will spend some money on some new source component.  What I have is so old and some of the new gear available can provide superior results.

I plan to go on this upgrade path for about 2 years; this and next.  I think I'll concentrate on the digital side for the rest of this year and finish off with the vinyl side for next year.

I've got about 300 LPs, quite of few NOS and 180 gram re-issues and about 1200 CDs.  

As for how loud I get....not very loud.  I listen in the evenings when I get home from work and sometimes I listen in the early morning hours, around 2am on weekends.  So, I don't need lots of power.

I've got 2 older Decware amps that still have lots of life in them but they require maintenance and tube replacement.  I've got a Marshall amp that I recently re-tubed and that wasn't cheap.  So, hence, the AVA amp.  It may never achieve Decware sonics but I think with a Decware pre-amp it can achieve remarkable levels.  The thing that I've come to like about the AVA is the bottom end.  Steve says the ZMA can get that bottom end which I think it can but the AVA was so much cheaper and probably much less to maintain as far as tube replacement.   There is something about that sneaky bottom end that adds something special with it rears its head.

I know that with this hobby there is always another step to climb, another level, another plateau.  I just need to get high enough to deliver satisfaction.  I hope that step isn't too high.

As Lon stated, I've spent $$$ money that I sometimes regret doing and if I had to do it again I might not do it the same way.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 06/21/16 at 14:51:13

I've been breaking in the AVA for about a week or close to it.

Yesterday I had a long day at work and I didn't get home until midnight.  I got home, powered up the system and put in my favorite Yo Yo Ma.  I find cello music to be very soothing.

I was surprised.  The AVA achieved Decware moments.  There were spots of holographic sounds.  It wasn't bad.

I can't tell if this is coming from the AVA or the CSP.  Frankly, I think it is the CSP along with the MG944s that bring out the best out of the 240.  It was extremely pleasant to sit there, enjoy the music and then go to bed.

I still have the ZBOX to introduce and the AVA still has so much more to burn in.  I've heard that it may take up to 40 hours and I'm not there yet.

I can only image what a CSP3 or the ZTPRE will accomplish.  My wish list includes new Decware towers.  

All is good.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #44 - 06/21/16 at 15:32:18

:D Great to read.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 06/21/16 at 15:40:31

DECWARE is an amazing company.  You aren't forced to have a system with only DECWARE to make your system sound good.  You can just about get any component and it will work with most systems and improve the overall sound.  DECWARE is remarkable that way.

I'm shocked at what a 10+ preamp can do.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #46 - 06/21/16 at 15:45:21

Yes, as you stated and Lon.....I've spent a lot of $$$ over the years. Sure, last year I sold 9K of gear, I was not using. However, I only averaged 58 cents on the original dollar spent. I'm done for a few years moving forward. I want AVA's best with POWER downstairs/SS Rig.....but it will have to wait.

I think you're right about your Decware Pre and Speaker's, with the AVA. Enjoy.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 06/22/16 at 14:23:04

This morning I got up and I put this on:

I must say, for such an old DAC, old CDP, and old CSP, the soundstage was wide and deep and the sound was rich.

Not bad.  There's lots of hope.

One day, a Decware SS....HAHAHAHAH!!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #48 - 06/22/16 at 14:27:26

Playing around with tone controls.

And enjoying this one again.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #49 - 06/22/16 at 19:42:21

The new Re-reissue.

71hhUQ-tzRL__SL1200_.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print