Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 16:28:36 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The DECWARE PILL Tour sign up list (Read 19117 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

The DECWARE PILL Tour sign up list
02/10/16 at 03:30:36

The Decware Pills are getting ready to go on tour around this forum so we can find out how many people they work for.  

Both a pair of PAC-G's and PAC-S's will be sent so that you can experiment with both and report the results.  

I will send them to the first person on the list, who will receive them, use them for a week and then send them to the next person on the list by contacting me for the sender's name and address.  

To get on the list email me directly at Steve@Decware.com. Be sure to include your shipping address in the email. Use this thread to report the results.

I'm going to build a fresh set and burn them in together and on the same material so when they leave here there are no differences between them other than the design itself. That's going to take me 30 days, so the tour will start in March.

Steve

P.S.

For those who are unfamiliar with the PILL's, you can find the page here: https://www.decware.com/newsite/PILL.html

Also, as a side note, there was a time during the final weeks of voicing the TORII JR before it's release that I had a eureka moment while experimenting with the concept of digital specific inputs on the amp. Since the discovery is somewhat recording dependent and because it works so well when it works, I decided not to include it in the TORII JR and make it an amp specific thing. Instead I wanted to package it to work with any amplifier and refine the design which resulted in two models. So this is what the PILL's are.

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: The DECWARE PILL Tour sign up list
Reply #1 - 02/11/16 at 14:18:46

Hi Steve,

I will give them a listen.  Sign me up.

These can go between a DAC and Torii/Rachael, right?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Luis

Reply #2 - 02/11/16 at 18:10:14

Wow, I wish I was not that far away... Smiley

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 02/15/16 at 00:32:54

Hi Palomino,

Yes, they can go between the DAC and amplifier, or anywhere in a line level signal path.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #4 - 02/16/16 at 22:31:33

Steve...sign me up please!!!

Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #5 - 02/22/16 at 19:33:34

Lovely.....

I sent an email to "Steve@Decware.com" to get on the list as directed in the opening post of this thread... only to get a bounce that my email has been rejected as SPAM....!!!!

but sign me up please....

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 02/22/16 at 20:27:55

Try steve@zenamps.com

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #7 - 02/22/16 at 23:23:16

thx for the suggestion Lon - but still No Go.

Apparently the company hosting Decware email, believes that the company hosting my email(a major telecom) is a spammer.  I can't really tell exactly what it's trying to say.  This is perhaps why I don't get forum notifications either.... but Decware.com is the only email I have any problem sending/receiving from.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 02/22/16 at 23:27:48

Weird. In your shoes, to be sure, I'd call Sarah and have her put you on the list.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 02/23/16 at 04:09:45

This sort of thing is right up my alley. The one rub that I see is that they are long enough to have leverage inside of the RCA jack. If the interconnect cables are too heavy, then leverage does it's job, and may spread the internal connection of the RCA jack. In this case, I am planning to use a very short cable for things just like this.
"weeell, Greg, you have done it again." Misreading the printed word is a specialty of mine. The Decware Pill will be just fine using a special short IC that I made just for such things. I am now fully anxious to try these.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #10 - 03/01/16 at 23:56:58

decware.com and zenamps.com get 17,000 spams an hour. This is what happens when you've been online since 1996. I'm simply NOT going to use Yahoo, Google, Hotmail, or any other web or cloud based email system. We own our servers, they're dedicated and secure, and the reason for all this is that we take our customers privacy very seriously. I have paid several hundred dollars per month for over 10 years just for the spam filters that are protecting our servers, money that by now would exceed $40,000.00. I can promise you that If I ever run into a spammer, his house or office will be a smoldering pile of rubble within days.

Recently I have created a secure online form for contacting me and it is available on our Contact Page. I get every e-mail from that form without exception.  Soon I will be deleting my many prior e-mails and the form will become the ONLY way to contact me.  That includes PM's from this form which I have never utilized.

CONTACT PAGE for Steve's EMAIL:  https://www.decware.com/newsite/contacts.html

Please use the form.  Please just use the form.  

I am going to repost this as it's own post somewhere here on the forums too.

Thanks,

Steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 03/02/16 at 02:34:46

Just wanted to thank everyone so far who has gotten on the list, and mention that there's room for more.

The first quad of PILL's has been sent to WILL who should have received them by now, so we await the results. Both the PAC-G and the PAC-S have been sent, and both have been pre-burned in to save time.

I chose Will to be the first to send PILL's to because he represents a "worst case scenario" in my mind relative to the design intent of the PILLS. By this I simply mean based on his system, extensive tube rolling, and digital manipulation it is clear from his posts that he has personally solved the same issues that the PILL's solve only by different means. Specifically, he has accomplished the same result digitally as the PILL's attempt to accomplish without a computer.  

My guess, and I could easily be wrong, is that with his intensive focus on tweaking his system to the last degree, and last I knew all based on a 16bit NOS source, the only thing the PILL's could do is screw it up.  

For those who do not use computers, or even for those who do use computers but do not engage in signal manipulation, the PILL's should have a very similar effect to what WILL probably already achieves with software.

This is why it will be most interesting to hear his impressions of the PILL's.  Also, if he finds himself in a quandary about what to post, I hope he feels OK to say that both models in the end completely ruined what he had going on in his system.  IF, by some  chance either of them had any positive effect in his environment it would be particularly
interesting.

So, Will, have you received them, and what are you hearing Wink

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 03/03/16 at 21:20:23

Steve,

Good thoughts. I appreciate getting a chance to explore the pills and as you suggest, for me, in my system/room, it has been a bit confusing...really good in many areas, and some sacrifice in others....at least so far!!!!!

What I mean by that... I have been exploring the silvers most, and they appear finished now, but they continued to refine for a while, making determinations more difficult....Will they go further into revealing fine detail and transparency remains a background question as I roll, roll, roll the pills, ICs, and tubes to see where I can get them to go in this setting......Hopefully this afternoon I will have some comments.

Thanks,

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
TomD
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 03/05/16 at 13:51:55

Steve-I'd like to participate in the Pil tour but would like to try them with a .5m pair of Decware Silver Reference interconnects from source to the Pils.I have my own  high quality .5m interconnects from Pils to preamp side.My source is a Ric Shultz modded Oppo BDP-105 (1volt output stage) and preamp is an Audio Mirror T-61 tube (47 ohm inpedance)

IP Logged
TomD
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 03/05/16 at 13:54:19

Oops -meant to say 47k input impedance on my Audio Mirror T-61 tube preamp NOT 47 ohm impedance.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 03/05/16 at 22:58:49

Sorry for the delay. I finally have what turned out to be pretty extensive comments, putting what I hear into words being a good learning tool to help me figure these things out!

Steve had a good thought I think, that this system/room probably is a good worst-case test for the Pills. I have a very good, natural sound, with nice body, weight, dynamics, and amazingly complete detail that is smooth. Also since the whole is so tuned to specific qualities organically developed for years, one of those being very revealing, something has to be really refined to fit in.

I do still use the very simple 16/44 Tranquility NOS DAC, developed from lots of blind testing to be as close to analog as possible. Complete fine detail and inner detail were guides for helping to reveal all that is there on CD files, the realization being that 16/44.1 is in fact a lot of information if pulled well. These developers, with very good ears, could not at the time get a Hi-res DAC made by others or themselves to suit them as well.

My computer setup starts with incoming power tuned specifically for open transparency from the DAC and computer. I use several devices with different approaches for grabbing noise before it goes systemic, including the DAC Power cord being chosen to get the most from it. Damping material, weights, and feet have been chosen and placed by sound, tuning to solve noise from vibration with emphasis on balance bottom-to-top, and “awake” and musically smooth transparency. My simplified Mac OS is trimmed down for audio only, loading from a solid state drive in a Mini. The music files come in on the firewire buss, separated from the DAC's USB, also using a separate linear 5v USB power supply which reduces noise leaking over from the computer. Audirvana is my player software run on a RAM disk, reducing computer activity and therefore noise. The noise shaping in Audirvana is tuned to smooth and revealing transparency (thanks Palomino). And very importantly, my EQ is integrated with the player software with Qs very specifically fine tuned across the spectrum to get as good a balance as I can after room treatments.

AC power is managed in many ways, again, tuned for revealing and smooth transparency. Power cords, ICs, speaker cables, most I made with specific sound in mind, and most are assisted by added noise grabbers placed by sound. Cables have been rolled for the best system/room balance and synergy; vibration is mitigated by a variety of feet with different tonal qualities placed by sound; under that is vibration reduction under and throughout the cabinet; tubes are chosen for balance, synergy and musical transparency; I even adjusted my HR-1s for tighter bass, greater speed, and more complex detail…. All tuned to each other, the system/room is in effect one thing.

The sound is live, balanced and authentic...likely better than the recordings due to minimized noise, great gear, nice room attributes, and thanks to carefully implemented TUBES. Beginning with a refined average tonal tuning, “riding the gains” between the CSP3 and Torii MKIV can solve a lot of recording variability issues. Complex information is conveyed with lucidity and without pain for the most part, requiring good liquidity, especially within the context of unrestricted detail.

Like Steve thought might be the case, the combination of all these ways of addressing noise and tonal refinement goes a long way into accomplishing what I interpret as the design intent of the Pills… But I am always surprised how it can get better, so I knew Steve's Pills could easily be good here.

In my 1st experiments I liked the more complex sound of the Silvers over the more focused sound of the Golds, and since the Silvers were designed for resolving front ends and Gold more for streaming radio, compressed files, front ends that need more cleaning up (things I don't have)….I have explored the Silvers, these comments about them.

As with my system, transparently reducing noise from the signal, digital and otherwise, this alone can do loads toward smoothing without notable micro detail sacrifice. The Silvers do this and more...Smooth and a touch warmish while retaining good micro detail; fast micro and macro dynamics; musically clarified definition and space across the spectrum with associated pace refinements (sounds to me like what Steve suggests as phase angle correction); reduced edginess; enhanced musical body and tonal density…….

I tried DAC > CSP3 > pills > Torii for a few days to get a feel of them while experimenting with a small selection of my most transparent ICs.

The Silvers sounded a little "off" at first. I thought...”this does not make sense coming from Steve for front end treatment...if something is lost there, you can't get it back!" But they were a little uneven, and just not transparent and refined enough. I recalled that caps, like many power tubes before being fully burned in, they can sound like this. The bass to low mids can be a bit sluggish and undefined while the mids-up tend toward rigid. With more play bass gets more powerful and defined while midrange focus spreads out and gets more complex, textured and revealing of subtle information. So I played them a lot a few days and they did refine further... continuing day by day.

I asked Steve about this and he thought a lot of cap burnin is from the metal “seating” with the dielectric. Something like the electron flow causing wire/foil integration with the dielectric on the path of the signal. After seated, if they get hot and cold, like these did in travel, expansion and contraction offsets this integrated pathway and they need to reseat. I hope you will elaborate if I got that wrong Steve.

Now, pulling fine information without audible anomalies, they do sound really good to me, but experience causes me to suspect they will continue to refine, something that could matter here with micro information being pretty critical for completing my sound. Also, if it is not squashed elsewhere, fine detail only comes out fully after the rest of burnin/sound issues resolve.

Under the circumstances Steve thought I should keep digging in to see where the Pills go, but I wanted to get some first impressions up. I will post further before I send them off to the next person midweek.

Quite revealing now, the Silvers show that everything matters...their signal chain position and the ICs used clearly shift qualities of their influence. This offers a good range of tuning choices but is also a good indicator of their quality.

I also find that the Silvers are directional. Can't say why, but I hear it with ICs made in a way that it shouldn't matter and fuses also.....Right now each direction is different enough to make choosing one way or the other a real choice.

As I struggle to “learn” the subtler qualities of the Pills, I realize I am slow in discerning the deeper character of some things, especially when they break new and unfamiliar ground like the Pills appear to do. They offer a refined window into signal enhancement that has familiar qualities...but altogether, from one device, the Pills have their own special sound. They share some qualities with the CSP3... but they also reflect what combined methods of noise mitigation can do...what rolling ICs can do...what careful EQ can help do...and they do this all in their own way...complex and compelling to me. Then there is integrating them fully into the system which usually takes me a while. So I don't have a full handle on them yet, but I may have come to a few relatively solid observations:

1) The overall effect is similar to the CSP3 in terms of noise reducing clarification, enhanced tonal density, and dynamics.... Also a little different than the CSP, they work well with it, but their similar influences make the CSP3 adjustments more powerful, especially with the Pills after it. For my tastes, the CSP master volume needed reduction to more closely match previous tonal density while integrating other Pill qualities. And for gain riding between the CSP3 and Torii, it was notably more sensitive with the Pills after the pre. The combination can more quickly take density to a point of too much in this system, shifting from tonal density to overall thickness/density in the mid/bass and bass areas….something I am really sensitive to. Also, even with sound stage and musical articulation remaining very good, if density was too high, on some material especially it could contribute to the sense of sounding more like a filter, unnatural and homogenous. But this was several days ago, and as I hear them open, I suspect this was at least in part from needing more burnin, though definitely associated with being after the pre.

Trying to figure the Pills out, I put them where they probably should be for ultimate transparency, between DAC and the CSP3. I think either way could be a valid choice though.

2) Also several days ago, I was trying to do direct AB's as much as I could while adding a pair of ICs and the new Pills. But no matter how transparent something is, everything has its own way with the signal information, and being so accustomed to specific sound balance, the pills had a little too much “color” for me on many recordings while being very nice on others. With focus on smoothing and tonal density enhancement, and in association with a slightly warmer tone, and shifting the balance a bit lower I think, there was a reduction in spaciousness and the finest detail in the balance. It made AB'ing too limiting. This continues to change though as they become more transparent and neutral.

3) I found the best cables to bring them out first, and so far these are my more powerful but very revealing ICs. One is a Grover which to me is a little in the face on its own, and the other a DIY 24 gauge VHAudio silver recipe with the best KLE RCAs... a nice smooth and revealing cable. So far, the subtly more powerful signal push from these ICs seems good for pulling what the Pills have to offer, but this could change...Daily I am hearing transparency refinement and a milder cable here or there might win.

4) Dropping AB'ing, I started tuning a little to get the most from the Silvers. Opening things up a bit, without the Pills the sound was a bit too revealing, but with them, quite nice. Tuned more carefully to them, their quality warmth and other more mysterious qualities bring a subtle, but complex richness to a lot of recordings I have not gotten before by other means and really like.

5) This helped me notice more things better, like phase angle refinement...the more I hear the Pills, the more I hear the effect. More noticeable on some recordings than others, it is important. Here, particularly for the difficult area of getting the best bass from a range of recordings, the Pills can help the bass come into greater “alignment” with more focus and space. It does not appear to stop at the bass though with subtle and musical improvement in overall differentiation of instruments and space around them. This is a quality from noise mitigation also, but it seems this phase thing can indeed bring better musical articulation, at the same time giving a better feel for the nuances of pace, a subtle area that has become of notable importance in reading a system/room for me.

6) Now several days later, they are sounding even more transparent while revealing more fine detail than they did in my earlier comments. I do hear some reductions in fine detail on a quick AB, but the Silvers shift the balance less. I hear this in ambience and space, but also in subtle areas like pad hits on horns and pianos, drum hits, cymbals, wood, air around reeds and voices….It seems the detail is all there, and sounds really good, so I am thinking a lot of this may be due to the tonal density focus filling the sound space more, reflecting an emphasis choice. Micro detail is there, but a little less emphasis on it.

7) Steve spoke to this in the manual (or web page), how their influence is variable on different recordings, and I definitely hear this. It seems that the Pills play with subtle mastering decisions a little differently. My challenge for the next few days is to see if I can get them integrated to where improvements are notable on all recordings. We'll see...

8) These are cap based and you might wonder about increased dynamics. Also something the CSP3 can enhance, I think it is there, but quite tasteful. And aside from a cap's potential for increased punch, other Pill qualities of noise reduction, smoothing, phase organization, these all can contribute to tonal density, differentiation, the space around tones...they effect everything, including the sense of dynamics.

9) Also like the CSP3, and perhaps more, the Pills combined qualities seem to even up recording qualities nicely. So far I don't seem to need to gain ride as much to adjust recording preferences to my tastes. These are areas I need more time with, but Steve's choices seem quite good so far for this system.

10) An aspect of smoother/quieter, even with really good dynamics, there is less tendency to go over the top with midrange spikes like hard trumpet blows, taking us back to the reason for this exploration as I understand it...to solve issues of recording and playback in order to make the music more enjoyable.

I have worked a long time to resolve all recording/playback issues before the Pills, and with success, but the Silvers take it further while imparting compelling qualities themselves.

As Steve suggested, with all my tuning I have gotten to a smooth, fast, revealing, balanced, and musical sound. Do the Pills make my system better at this point...yes and no, but I have done a lot of work to get here, and the Pills sound to me like they would do a lot on their own.

Being “on the fence” is fading for me as the Pills change and I learn them. My system/room being so revealing and fine tuned to my preferences, it is demanding of anything coming into it, but with loads of ways to fine-tune, it is also pretty flexible for tuning in good things. My guess is that with more time discerning their subtle nature, I might well "need" a pair...hopefully without any notable sense of “trade-offs.”

More on that in a few days.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 03/06/16 at 01:35:57

Thanks for sharing your impressions Will! Seems as if they are very interesting "components."

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/06/16 at 18:30:53

You are welcome Lon. They are interesting "components." They continue to open up...I am guessing at least 150 hours play time so far between me and Decware. I don't know how the "unseating" from contraction and expansion in travel effected this, but since I can hear changes daily, I am guessing they will keep going a while! I hope I get to hear how far they can refine before I have to mail them on.

Doesn't burnin on ICs work if run from source into a turned on pre stage and the amp off?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 03/06/16 at 19:14:50

Yes, in my experience that will work. . . should allow more "seasoned" listening time.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 03/06/16 at 19:18:05

Good. Thanks Lon. I tried this for the first night, but burnin was less clear then.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #20 - 03/10/16 at 05:38:18

I have to say that winter is a hard time of year for shipping audio gear.  The freezing temperatures traumatize the signal caps and in the old days would make some adhesives brittle and fracture during high G impacts during transit.  It's possible that most of the burn in we do here is lost when the caps freeze in the UPS truck on their way to you.  So it is good news that the PILL tour will be just picking up steam now as the temperatures increase!  Thank God it's almost Spring!

Thanks Will for your well crafted evaluations and comments and the amount of time you have devoted to digesting the pills... I think everyone here greatly appreciates it.  Warning to the next recipient, the Gold Pills will not be fully seasoned, but the Silver's will be.  Guess I better check the list and see who that's going to be!

Stay tuned.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 03/10/16 at 15:50:21

Winter? What winter?
We'll hit 80F today and the pool will turn green if I don't turn on the chlorine generator! LOL.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #22 - 03/12/16 at 03:02:25

There was snow on the ground here when they shipped to Will. Smiley

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #23 - 03/18/16 at 05:40:32

Will is now preparing to send the PILL's to the next person on the list.... person #2.  I recommended Will keep the PILL's a couple extra weeks to get them fully seasoned so that the following auditions will take less time.  Basically after 24 hours once they arrive and settle in your system, the sound you hear is what they are... you won't have to wonder if they're going to get better, etc. etc.

Steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 03/20/16 at 22:42:41

Silver Pills from more thorough Testing:

Context: My system rides fine lines of many things (noise reduction, resolution, dynamics, tonal density, definition, liquidity, frequency balance…. Etc) in order to arrive at what I find the best musical balance without limiting subtle information. A beautiful territory, but challenging and easy to throw off balance.

As I talk about adapting the Pill's interesting character, adjustments are relatively subtle based on important and specific needs and results. After burnin, I would call the Pills pretty transparent within the context of how they work with the signal. At the same time, how they work with the signal can be variable depending on settings/setups so it is hard to guess just how the Pills will balance into different system/rooms. I can try to convey what they did here though and hope these observations help.

Here, the Pills in a transparent and revealing arrangement brings out the best of them. One cable, or one tube that is too dark and/or less transparent could throw off the Pill balance, the problem perhaps appearing to be the Pills. Also, here, with my system already tuned to a full, smooth, warm and dynamic density, the relatively minor tonal shift from the Pills, amped up a touch by their clarification and a slightly increased signal pressure, they could take the warm/dense too far.

Having been tuning as if my DAC, CSP3, Torii,  EQ were all one thing, I ended up needing to get more calculated to fully integrate the Pills. Each needed to be approached individually and matched to get the most from the Pills, especially making the CSP3 more open and neutral into the Torii.

Signal Path: I have the Pills between the DAC and CSP3 using very transparent cables.

For me, the more I add to the signal path, the more each part has to be very transparent and often tuned a little toward open/revealing to compensate for an addition in the path. It all matters. For example, I found the more powerful (slightly bigger 24 gauge wire) VHAudio Silver recipe with Silver KLE RCAs, and Grover ZX+ ICs (both quite revealing) helped to pull the sound best from the Pills (as opposed to slightly calmer, but also very transparent 28 gauge VHAudio recipe ICs). I have a pair of Belden 8402 ICs with Eichmann gold on copper RCAs that are also big sounding with a strongish signal and wanted to check them in the Pill path. With my most transparent Silver IC going to the Pills, and the Belden between the Pills and CSP3, there was notable transparency reduction compared to using two pair of VHAudio Silver recipe ICs with silver KLE RCAs (or one of those with the Grovers) particularly in micro detail and complexity. This made the Pills flatter and less interesting to me. Or I could change a tube and shift the bass, texture, body, sense of transparency or whatever, and this also conveyed clearly to the Pill sound, and visa versa.

For these tests, I tried for transparency with the CSP3 tonally very close with the Torii, but with just a little more space, texture and less body to help the Pills integrate. This more easily accommodated what might be subtle compression and associated warm density from the Pills without a notable shift away from a sense of fine detail and texture. This also made gain riding more transparent and flexible…

Tubes: Before Pills, the MKIV had a warm/dense/dynamic, but revealing tube set….Mazda GZ32 rectifiers (Phillips/Mullard like ST shape), Phillips E188CC (Mullard made), British made 75C1 (Euro OC2 type), Dumont labelled OB3s, and Tungsol 6L6G for power.

In the CSP3 I had been running a Telefunken E88CC in the input, some early 60s D getter Sylvania gold pin 6922s outputs, and either a Mullard GZ32 or Tungsol 5R4GY. All of these tubes but the OB3s are warmish, powerful, extended, dynamic but also spacious.... All together, I had found a balance that was warm with dynamic tonal density, but spacious and lucid.

After using the Pills a while, in retrospect, this tube set was pretty maxed out for me in signal and tonal density. With a lot of listening I noticed the Pills notched that up a little making it borderline on the ears more than the mind.

Burnin: A big deal in my Pill saga, I estimate over 200 hours needed to really hear these Pill's ability to convey refined bass and subtle complexity. I wish I had kept better track, but did not expect to have them this long. Steve wanted me to wait to send them on until I had them sorted out, and now we know they sound right, but it took a while. Knowing what burnin issues sound like, I was pretty sure they were giving me problems, but with an unknown, you can't tell where it is going until you hear it get there! Trying to learn and tune to the Silver Pill's during burnin, I realize I had been chasing my tail to some degree, the per-burnin sound too variable and unrefined in different areas at different times.

After 100 hours or so they were sounding pretty good, and the sound was more into “warm” density than I had gone previously, but the Pill's way of doing it was compelling...quiet with a great sense of pace, density, liquidity, richness, presence, and complexity, so I was adjusting here and there, but mainly enjoying.

Fatigue: Trouble was, it was hammering my ears, progressively causing fatigue. It took many days to really set in...also indicating I was not far off. I have always associated fatigue with low range intensity/density here. When it shows up, I can calm/define the bass a bit and fatigue goes away, which I did with the Pills using some bassy recordings as reference. But because the Pills improve bass definition, they allowed me to push bass deeper without the usual muddling signs of excess. It took a while to figure it was excessive. Then, assuming it was my usual fatigue pattern, I adjusted things a little and did not look further at first.

Next day...though compromised by earlier fatigue, my ears seemed pretty good and listening to a compressed guitar recording, “one guitar” by Ottmar Liebert, and the first Yo Yo Ma Bach cello solos, I got minor fatigue. These recordings go lowish but are not about bass, so something else was going on. I recalled I had been sensitive in the past to mid/bass darkness and reduced clarity there. Though less physical, I wondered if subconsciously working to “modify” or clarify any tonal area is tiring, potentially contributing?

Then thinking about folks who associate fatigue with higher frequencies, the lightbulb began to come on about signal pressure and vibrating ear drums, no matter the frequency. That it could also be from signal pressure beyond the bass range was new to my experience.

The MKIV can be very fast and powerful, as can the CSP3, and the Pills also. I can't really tell that enhanced micro dynamics are there with the Pills, but I do hear more power to the signal. Also, as Steve points out, computer noise and software can contribute to fatigue. I think I have solved most of those things he associates with computer fatigue, but as we were talking, I realized that in my case, where EQ is necessary to get the most from my system/room, I do have to run the software volume at -4dB to compensate for some high energy areas of EQ I use otherwise causing distortion on some hot recordings. I am also doing cuts, mostly in lower bass (but mid/highs too), but I am adding some density and signal strength with EQ in some areas and this could contribute.

Finally I realized I had been close to an edge of powerful signal density anyway, and adding the Pill's shifted my sound enough that way that I needed to compensate a little for the comfort of my ears! I think it was a little excess bass and darkish low mids, but associated, it was slightly enhanced signal power and how this effected everything, including the ear. Especially after full burnin, these effects were relatively subtle, but in the context of my already powered up signal, and my sensitivities, the signal pressure and warmth needed to create the Pill sound defined a borderline for me.

Similar in ways of effecting signal/sound, the CSP3 can contribute depending on tubing and cables, and if it has an amped up signal, the Pills can accent this and visa-versa. In this setup, with many contributors to clarification and signal power, each doing a little in their own ways, the CSP3 and Pills together took it a little further, making the effects of changes with tubes/cables etc. more apparent, their traits more obvious, specific and powerful. It took me a while to figure out how best to tone down the power of the CSP3 and Torii while staying within my window a beauty.

The Story: Earlier in burnin, I had cut the low bass a little further than usual when I started using the Pills. Then later I tried different bass EQs and lots of different tubes, trying to solve a lot of what solved itself after burnin. I called Steve and talking helped clarify notions. He thought I was on reasonable conceptual tracks. But we were hunting solutions. After he asked if I had worked with the EQ, even though I had and thought it was pretty good, I did more exploring mid-bass down. I could have been fooling myself in my conditioned state of enjoying the balance I had without the usual hallmarks of bass muddle or thickness...cues I normally identify with fatigue here.

This was when I discovered the Pills were allowing more low end without muddle (no mean task!), and I liked it, but it proved to be too much pressure for my ears.

Fine lines, but I realized that the way the Pills arrive at sounding good can mitigate a number of audio foibles making my usual cues for issues lesser references. And not only do they resolve bass, they resolve everything if “in tune” (depending on the rest). To a degree, they can make abrasive sounds like hard trumpet blows, or higher singing notes sound more natural while still being quite forceful, even over the top. A clue to my fatigue not being limited to bass.

I suspect this Pill associated signal pressure was mostly due to where I started, my specific system tuning and sensitivities. But to integrate the Pills qualities best I could, especially with the CSP3, I needed to reduce bass, open the sound a bit, and reduce signal power some.

Tube Changes: I love the warm but open Phillips ST style Mazda and Mullard GZ32s I had been using. But dynamic and powerful, I looked to them first. Not wanting to change the Torii reference, in the CSP3 I tried a RCA 5Y3GT knowing it would tone the whole down more notably than any rectifier I have. As usual, I found it flattened dynamics too much for my tastes. Same with a more open Bendix 5Y3WGTA.

Apparently the relative dynamics I find musical was close with the CSP/Pills. This pointed further to part of my problem being the clarity/resolution and powered up signal pressure from the Pills addition. With the greater power, everything is delivered a bit more, and if the rest is tuned for warmth and density, this shifts the signal a little darker/denser. But I always found OA3s in my Toriis too much, preferring the reduced power and more open signal with OB3s, and most stay with OA3s. So I am sensitive.

In the CSP3 I ended up with a more open/less deep GE GZ32/5V4GA. For outputs some open and extended early 60's Valvo 6922s, and input, a very nice Teonex labelled PCC88 that looks like it is Telefunken made. Overall this is less powerful, a little less extended, but revealing, and with very musical, open mids.

Not quite enough signal reduction, I changed the Torii replacing the powerful and dynamic Phillips E188CCs for a calmer 59 CBS labelled Siemens ECC88, an unusually good 6DJ8 type. I tried replacing the Mazda GZ32s, and that reduced warmth, density and punch a bit, but I lost too much of what I depend on them for….warm articulation with very open mids, atmospheric and textured, and powerful but well organized bass. So they stayed.

All together, still warm, but more open than the original sets...AND as important, less powerful/pushy, the Pill/CSP3 influences balanced nicely.

Burnin Effects: As the Pills reached a more refined resolution from use...tones and edges are more complex and definition is throughout, the bass coming last. This really helped me refine, the Pills tone stable.

Now needing lower key EQ, the amount of bass was reduced in some areas, but as much, it was better organized. At the same time, I kept refining mids up, little shifts again, reorganized more than anything else.

Also interesting, for a while I had to tone down the CSP3 volume settings to calm the signal power and clarity. I came back into the range of my relatively powerful standard settings (the area I have found to pull the best sound from the CSP3).

Even burned in, tuning with Pills added was trickier. In my already cleaned and powered up system, and with the Pills taking this further... the cleaner/smoother/more powerful signal focused whatever was there with less “fuzzy” distractions (distortions) making it more clearly what it was, more apparent and specific. I really liked this once I got used to it due to enhanced clarity that was pretty comfortable.

CSP3: The Pills smooth and resolve with density and the CSP3 can do these also. Depending on the balance of the CSP3, the sum of the two can be greater than the parts and this effected everything. After burnin there was less tonal difference introducing the Silver Pills but in their interaction with the CSP3, some tunings having more profound effects and others less, this is still a little mysterious to me. At the same time, it is compelling with the richened complexity the two together can offer.

Before full burnin, with my penchant for fine-tuned sound, and as I worked to figure out what was causing fatigue, it was a bit of a nightmare. But this taught me what the Pills brought to the system and how. Finally, they integrated pretty easily into my normal window of beauty, and it really did not take much to do it.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 03/20/16 at 22:45:05

Silver Pills more thorough Testing Part two:

What I hear with the Pills/CSP3/EQ:

- Stronger signal pressure and density
- Slightly increased sense of body and weight
- Dynamics – not sure, perhaps enhanced, but with smooth and natural feeling power more than speed
- Smoother, more liquid
- Reduced subtle noise and emptier background
- Sense of resolution improved
- Differentiation/articulation improved throughout the spectrum (phase correction?)
- Really good texture in the mids especially
- Rich complexity
- A little warmer/darker - Note: the amount depends a lot on tubes/settings. After tuning to the Pills, with amazing beauty here, when I pulled the Pills yesterday to send them on, the sound actually darkened a little (the opposite of my initial tests). Loss of Pill improved bass articulation was most of this I think. But dark/warm levels seem variable, and related, an occasional slightly darkish/receded/duller feeling in quieter passages on some darker recordings depends a lot of tubes and settings. With slightly more open settings, I stopped noticing this! The moral...explore a little.
- Slightly softened mid/upper-midrange peaks
- Speed/micro dynamics may be just a little slower/smoother
- Pace - more relaxed and comfortable feeling
- Fine detail seems all there and quite complex, though a little more deeply integrated in the balance, the balance tipped a bit toward tonal density, body, warmth and midrange ambience
- Nuanced delivery feels heightened
- A bit sweeter, but no syrup or saccharine
- More emotional feeling

All in all, I think the phase correction, signal cleaning and resolution aspects are the most impressive traits, improving lots of things. Reduced subtle noise and smearing, and associated enhanced musical clarification...a real triumph I think!

Finally, with potential for pronounced effects with the Pills and CSP3 together, though the low-mid/bass and pressure were fine-line areas for this system/room, it is impressive to be able to pull more warmish density and smoothness while being so resolving. To me so many attempts in audio for “liquid warmth” or “analog” sound electronically manipulated, darkened and veiled, dulled down and lacking natural complexity. Notable smoothness, especially in the presence of warmth, can sound like reduced detail, but without dumbing down resolving detail and complexity I find it welcome and quite beautiful.

Within this, tuned to higher levels of warmth especially, different recordings can respond pretty differently to the Pill effect, and this was not acceptable for me if I could solve it. So another level of fine-tuning came into play to get the most from a broad range of recordings. I got very close to that with the Pills, perhaps better than before them which was really good. Though I have not had time to listen to a lot of my music, with a broad range of test recordings, the challenge I gave myself to have the Pill/CSP3 combo benefit most recordings seems like it is working for the most part. For me, roughly speaking, this seemed to involve using really transparent ICs, revealing tubes, and generally finding a frequency balance of open and neutral settings that were “just enough” into warmth and density.

With really good power treatment, tuned for sound; great cables and tubes; amazing gear source to speakers; room work; natural sounding vibration and noise control etc, I have proven to myself that we can make recordings better, like music, individually and as a group.

As I gave the Pills a final listen before sending them on yesterday, I can say that in this setting, and by my tastes, the Pills can contribute to a heightened level of beauty, the beauty of natural music beyond recordings.

Whether I can live without them will become clearer in their absence. I already miss them but have not fully readjusted my system yet and it is really, really good without...more lucid...both ways are better in some ways! And there is another goodie on the way that adjusts density also, so I am stalling.

A few more Tests:

PILLS direct to TORII MKIV- Without CSP3...Same EQs.
All the Pill traits are still there but I will comment on the more notable differences without the CSP3.

- Easier and comfortable fit with less pronounced Pill character traits
- Balance seems in proportion, but with the current CSP3 tuning the pre helped resolve things a touch better. Without it, the bass is a little bigger and a little less defined.
- Musical pace is similar, but a little less relaxed feeling
- A little faster feeling
- Less density and liquidity, and associated, more apparent (though not particularly more) fine detail
- Less lower mids and more upper midrange in the balance.
- Generally helps even up recordings, but not as much as with the CSP3 and gain riding.
- Signal is powerful, but less than with the CSP3.
- I miss the CSP3's additions to spacial lucidity and tonal density, and how its similar but different traits add tonal complexity, but like how the Pills fit more easily in the blend.

If I were to pursue this, I would do a little tube and/or EQ refinement, and this would quickly solve slight imbalances, and improve presentation across recording styles more. But plug and play seems quite good here for the most part.

PILLS and TORII MKIV - NO EQ/NO CSP3

I turned all software EQ OFF other than the -4dB overall volume cut used to solve distortion brought on by my higher energy EQs with hot recordings (just to be more surer of a good comparison to the above). With EQ tuned to the system/room Pills direct to Torii is better across the spectrum, but without, the sound is relatively close and good, in part indicating how subtle my EQ is, but also how good the Pills are at doing what they do. I like the sound the way they enhance the signal.

What I did not anticipate, the phase correction does some very nice work toward clearing up lower bass excesses I started using EQ in the first place in order to solve. Bass was still a little too strong for me, but more articulate and pretty close...actually quite good on many recordings! Starting to tune from here with minor EQ and/or Tubes could no doubt net a beautiful sound.

I am pretty attached to my CSP3 and EQ, so won't go further into these areas of Pills and Amp only.

I guess some folks will be working with Source>Pills>Amp mainly, and others with preamps, so I really look forward to impressions as tour participants try the Pills. I have no doubt that many of my challenges were burnin related, now a non-issue. But since everything effects everything, and the Pills contribute to this in ways still a little mysterious to me, it will be very interesting to see how they act in different system/rooms!

Putting the Pills back between the DAC and the CSP3 with EQ, and listening to Olafur Arnalds “Livingroom Music,” I found myself repeatedly close to tears, the beauty and expression…..This is a special event that happens for me with breakthroughs in the musical experience, but fairly rarely.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #26 - 03/21/16 at 02:13:33

nice.....

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 03/21/16 at 12:41:00

Will, thanks for this really detailed account.

As this "density" is something that I already have plenty of in my system, imo, and as I prefer to have the DirectStream run directly into the Torii Mk III--the CSP2+ adds a bit "too much", and have found with tube complement and with the bass and treble controls a sound that mesmerizes me, I can easily conclude that right now I don't need the pills (and the considerable expense they would incur with interconnects). Thanks! Loved reading your impressions.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 03/21/16 at 16:40:41

You are welcome Lon.

I get it. With all the work you have done to refine your system, your having a mesmerizing sound with great smoothness and density makes sense! You would probably fit nicely into what Steve thought about me being a worst case test for the Pills for similar reasons!

If the Pills just added density and smoothness, without the also tasteful and meaningful clarifying aspects (sounding like phase organization and enhanced sense of resolution) I likely would not have been seduced by them. Finally it is so hard to describe the sound of something characterful too. They put me in mind of a period in the 70s when I recorded LPs to reel-to-reel, preferring how that tape machine and the tape medium conveyed the music with seemingly limitless resolution, smoothness, tonal density, and detail. It is that kind of tonal “density” I think. That was a long time ago so who knows...but the Pills sparked that feeling and “memory.”

I did not like the idea of needing one more set of ICs either. I have extras around though. And once I got the Pills in, I heard things that made me want to see where I could take them. Finally, the choice for what ICs I used was important here, so I understand the design concept of flexibility from not integrating them.

I get where you are coming from though. I too am in a brilliant place with many of the subtle qualities the Pills impart. But then...once tuned, they added an atmospheric and compelling musical complexity to the sound that I have not otherwise heard in this room…..

It is give and take though at this level. And who can say how they would fit with other systems and tastes! Thus the tour!

I really enjoy hearing how refined your system is, and more, how much pleasure it provides! Admirable effort and I bet it is beautiful!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #29 - 03/22/16 at 15:21:19

A lot of what you describe as benefits of the Pills are in fact benefits I found when stepping up to both the PS Audio DirectStream and the VooDoo Cable Stradivarius interconnects. I have this difficulty in that I am trying to both bring out the best sound of the system and make it overall the best sound for all the material I listen to, and like you I've spent so much time and money trying to get to a certain level of wondrous playback. I don't doubt that with more tweaking and attention the Pills would bring a bit of benefit. But the CHEAPEST I could get myself rolling on the Pills would be 500 for a used pair of the cheaper of the Stradivarius interconnects I'm using plus the cost of the Pills, which would improve the sound of one of the inputs into the Torii--and possibly diminish the sound of the other input a bit by repurposing the next tier up interconnect I use from the CSP2+ to the Torii to the second interconnect needed for use with the Pills. Just not sure it's worth near 1000 dollars for this situation. And so far I have not put myself onto the "tour" list. I think I'll just continue as I am, happy with the great sound I have.

Especially as this "density" thing is something that I get too much of when using the DirectStream and my best interconnects in conjunction with the CSP2+. It becomes. . . unnatural, not accurate when comparing with my reference material directly into the Torii. It just seems like a compression thickening that isn't on the source material, subtly there, but better without it in my system.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 03/22/16 at 16:22:07

I think this is all good logic Lon.

With the many very refined tools that help you get amazing sound in your particular system, and all the fine-tuning you have done to bring them all together for your tastes and music collection, I understand the fine lines of balance this level of beauty requires. Especially being close to or over tonal density edges, and having some aversion to "tweaking," the Pills may not be right for you.

It is amazing to me how good it can get, but also how delicate the range of balance can become from refining a system over years! All things considered from what I know of you, your sensitivities, your sound requirements, and your long efforts....being very considered, even cautious about how you go forward makes sense to me! The indescribable sense of truly great musical presentation at home is an amazing and subtle gift!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #31 - 03/22/16 at 23:33:03

Ok, so the little white truck came today, and shazaam. Hey, nice wooden boxes, with 'pills' inside. One set silver, one set gold. Yes, I hooked them up, and yes, I listened for a few minutes, and no that doesn't count. But I have to say there is something going alright. I plugged in the silver devices first, and they will remain there for a time. I figured, go for the biggest difference first, to get the idea of what you will be listening for. I even had a set of AN speakers that I built awhile back hooked up, because they are in the sweet spot still. Listened a bit and then switched to the ZOB speakers. Not a fair comparison at all, because in my room, position is critical, and where the ZOB speakers sit right now sucks. They are too close together, and in the morning, I may well swap their position with the AN cabinets. It is not much fun because I have made both sets very heavy. More tomorrow.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 03/23/16 at 03:23:35

steve,
are you planning to publish the list of who is next in line to get these babies?

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #33 - 03/23/16 at 18:05:15

Sheesh, it's crazy how much sound is affected by speaker position. I moved the ZOB speakers to their proper position, and it is like a different set of speakers. Mostly the bass is affected by becoming three times better in the lowest regions. Ok, so that is a reset for the pills. On the first listen, I am going to bet that I will be changing to the gold pills soon, as these silver pills offer an overdose of purpose. But that is just for a moments worth of listening. I have to pull them out again and hear the difference, if any to the presentation. I am going to write these impressions blow by blow so that they will still be fresh in memory.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #34 - 03/23/16 at 18:55:58

The difference between the Gold and Silver pills is that the Silver pills have a bypass cap to speed up the top end thus resolving more detail.  Other than this bypass, the two pills are identical.  Again, Gold is intended to make things that suck, listenable.  Silver is intended to makes things that don't suck, better.

WWW   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #35 - 03/24/16 at 21:58:45

Well, I'll be damned. I spun up Breakfast in America, an album that I just can;t stand due to the harshness on the CD, and yes, it was actually listenable. This is my "oh yah, I got a harsh recording for ya" test. I don't even listen to it because it is sooo anoyying. Now the gold pills have taken most of the ragged edge off that shrillness that makes me walk out of the room.

Let me make a confession here, for it 'tis the season. I planned to not swallow these pills easily. I've about had it with every little tweak that comes along. Surprised? From the tweaker guy himself. Freakin' special this and special that costing buttloads when money could be better spent almost any other way for better sound. Change for change's sake is not so impressive to me and I have seen my share.Yes, get it right, tweak a little bit if you must, but don't make magic cubes,disc's,and magic wire be your center.

It is fair to say then for my system, I have all the resolution, and pollution that I need...for most recordings. Then there are the BIA recordings that sit flat on the desk, under a cover of dust unless I use this gold device. Ok, you win that round. Silver, well, I can safely pass, and if I had a brain, save the money for a decent TT project. THAT would change everything! This I know from experience. But that is for another buttload of money sometime in the future.

IP Logged
TomD
Verified Member

Reply #36 - 03/25/16 at 19:18:40

I'm enjoying the reviews on the Silver Pils bit want to remove myself from possible inclusion on the list for trying them.I jist don't have the time for careful evaluation/proper burn in for awhile.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 03/26/16 at 02:28:34

Hey Tom. A lot of my Pill saga was burnin related whereas now they are burned in for the most part. So trying them from now on would likely be pretty simple. Also, due to my system "demands," and my interest in seeing how deeply I could get with the Pills, I explored a lot of tuning options. I imagine this would have been much simpler had the Pills not lost their "seat" in cold transpor. Adapting at each subtle stage of burnin was interesting, but starting fully burned in, even if you want to tune to see fully where they can take your sound, should be pretty straight forward I think. And of course, plug and play could work for a lot of folks I imagine. Wink

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #38 - 03/29/16 at 19:12:22

TUBE SOUP, amp upgrades, and more, have prevented me from making the type of accurate evaluation that I would like. In a way, this is not bad news, since the thing to happen in some time is the upgrade to Rachel. And that, is the biggest sticking point of them all. When you have an increase in performance like the Rachel upgrade, it can make it hard for a guy like me to discern the benefits of the upgrade and the additional benefits of the Decware pills. Yes, of course, the 'new amp' makes things more noticeable than ever. So then, is it the album, the tubes that I roll, or the pills that make these new differences? Most of these new sounds are welcome, except those which just can't be helped (I am speaking of a recording that should have never sold a single copy, Uriah Heap, Sweet Freedom? Not sure). In any event, I have got to get a handle on this new set up and the pills need to get in the hands of the next person to review them. I will say this, that the pills have a definite effect, and that for some of the digital recordings that I have, it would make sense to have them included to an input on Rachel so that I could choose them or not.
The best answer for me would to put some money behind an analog rig to feed this new worthy amp.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #39 - 03/29/16 at 23:58:19

I'll see who's next on the list...

WWW   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #40 - 03/31/16 at 23:59:00

The pills were sent out today.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 04/07/16 at 01:16:36

4krow,
I received them today.  Thks!

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 04/08/16 at 03:29:13

ok got started on the silvers tonight.... i'll give them a good hard listen and a more formal review later, but initial impression is very nice!!  
put them between my schiit bifrost multibit and CSP3 using belden 8402/switchcraft ic's.  
source tonight was my toshiba sd9200.  
cd's supertramp somethings never change and avenue blue.
for me to sit down and listen to an entire cd without fiddling with something is very rare, but i listened to both all the way thru!
detail was wonderful, highs nice and lingering, mids very punchy and quick, with good solid lows.  no distractions.  full range was very enjoyable with great instrument distinction and black background.

going to try some itrax high definition flac downloads tomorrow.

signing out....

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 04/14/16 at 17:41:21

been listening to the silvers for the last week between DAC and CSP3. With 3 sources (OPPO103, Toshiba sd9200, homemade media player running Daphile OS).  file formats: CD's, ripped CD's (using dbpower amp), downloads HD tracks and iTrax.  44.1/16 to 96/24 flac files.

i am not noticing much incremental magic with the "higher definition" iTrax files.  i have several reference downloads that i play all the time when making changes and with the pills in, the sound almost goes the other direction...(i.e. sound worse).

now the standard redbook stuff both cd and flac files are wonderful!! everything is there for me and can sit and listen for hours without moving.  i mean really really like the sound.  and i am 95% confident that i'll notice a difference when i pull them out.

going to remove the pills sometime this weekend to see if i miss them and confirm what i am hearing between redbook and high def files.

also plan to try the golds in my 2ch or other lesser quality system.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 04/16/16 at 14:30:01

did some a/b comparison with the silvers in and out.

music
cd: bob james + kirk whalum joined at the hip (via sd9200)
network player: the latin jazz trio (2002) 96/24

my previous conclusions were confirmed.  the pills seem to have very little to no noticeable impact on the hd files.  the cd redbook a completely different story, very positive impact. the detail, dynamic, depth of stage all improve.

I like what they do in my system for my cd's and cd rips.
for couple hundred bucks, i could see myself picking up a pair.

I may play around with this a bit more this weekend and also put in the golds.

Steve, please provide me address for next on list and I'll get them out next week.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #45 - 04/21/16 at 16:59:28

it would be nice if the "list" was published somewhere... so we know what our place in line is.  Like... do I need to check soon/often, or not worry about this for awhile....

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #46 - 04/22/16 at 03:32:10

Agreed, I will post the list next chance I get.  I do recall the list is pretty short.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #47 - 04/25/16 at 22:57:50

Here are the remaining people on the list.  If anyone want's to get on the list, I'll edit and add them to this message.

BVictor

Mike D.

Tom H.

Rich H.

Astro-Chris

WWW   IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 04/26/16 at 14:32:00

Help me out.
I've read the post and the pill is some kind of interconnect, correct?

If not, enlighten a lost soul.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 04/26/16 at 14:34:37

No it is not an interconnect, but fits between two interconnects, one pill for each channel.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/PILL.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print