Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 00:37:38 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The DECWARE PILL Tour sign up list (Read 18817 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Re: The DECWARE PILL Tour sign up list
Reply #50 - 04/26/16 at 18:06:03

Will, thanks for the link.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 04/26/16 at 18:33:18

Ok, interesting.

So, let me ask this.

I have an Amazon Echo.  I have it next to my PC and in the morning I get the news, and listen to some quiet music before I get ready to work.

Well, Amazon released a product called The Dot, I think.

This Dot will connect to my sound system.  So, now I can stream music to my system  I would love to get one of these Pills and put it between the Dot and the CSP.

So, now, I can say, "Alexa, play me some jazz," and Alexa will output jazz to my system.  

What do you think?  Is this a good use for the Pill?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 04/27/16 at 01:25:28

Matchstikman wrote on 04/26/16 at 18:33:18:
Ok, interesting.

So, let me ask this.

I have an Amazon Echo.  I have it next to my PC and in the morning I get the news, and listen to some quiet music before I get ready to work.

Well, Amazon released a product called The Dot, I think.

This Dot will connect to my sound system.  So, now I can stream music to my system  I would love to get one of these Pills and put it between the Dot and the CSP.

So, now, I can say, "Alexa, play me some jazz," and Alexa will output jazz to my system.  

What do you think?  Is this a good use for the Pill?

The Dot has a 3.5 mm audio cable.  You would need a 3.5mm to RCA male adaptor and then you can plug the 3.5 end into the DOT and the RCA ends into the PILLs.  Then run a second set of RCA cables from the PILLs into your CSP.  Yes it seems easy enough to do (as long as you have the DOT within a few feet of your audio system), but I'm not sure how good it's going to sound though.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 04/27/16 at 12:49:58

Bvictor - you're next.  they'll be going out USPS today.  Cheers

Update:  will be there by Sat.  usps priority

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 04/27/16 at 16:34:02

Beowulf, how different or inferior would it compare to FM Radio?

I would think a stream and a PILL may sound better than otherwise just straight through.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 04/28/16 at 01:38:02

Matchstikman wrote on 04/27/16 at 16:34:02:
Beowulf, how different or inferior would it compare to FM Radio?

I would think a stream and a PILL may sound better than otherwise just straight through.

That's a good question, and I don't really have an answer for you as there are a lot of factors that come into play.  I've heard McIntosh FM receivers that sound pretty amazing with the right antenna and station signals, etc.  I've also heard some streaming services that are pretty close to Redbook quality as well ... in particular I subscribe to Tidal and think it's pretty great sounding.  There's a good chance the PILLs would work for one (or even both) of these mediums, but only experimenting in your own setup will tell.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 04/28/16 at 02:13:37

beowulf, which do you think would be a better bet PILL; gold or silver?  

Are these in production or still in beta?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 04/28/16 at 06:30:01

Matchstikman wrote on 04/28/16 at 02:13:37:
beowulf, which do you think would be a better bet PILL; gold or silver?  

Are these in production or still in beta?

Steve mentioned this:
"The difference between the Gold and Silver pills is that the Silver pills have a bypass cap to speed up the top end thus resolving more detail.  Other than this bypass, the two pills are identical.  Again, Gold is intended to make things that suck, listenable.  Silver is intended to makes things that don't suck, better."

From the description it seems as if Gold may be more forgivable to bad sounding recordings, whereas if the recording is good the Silvers would enhance it even further.  So my guess would be that if the sound you're getting from your source already sounds harsh the Gold may be a better fit and help smooth things out ~ if the sound you're getting is pretty good already the Silver may help you dig deeper into information retrieval to flesh out more fine details?  But that's just a guess as I've never heard them myself yet.

It looks like you can purchase the PILLs already from Decware's website: https://www.decware.com/newsite/PILL.html

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #58 - 04/28/16 at 22:42:53

Regarding the suitability of the Pill for FM, it depends on the tuner and the station.  When I started Decware we had a  college jazz station that sounded great.  Flash forward to a few years ago when I just couldn't take another day of Pandora and similar compressed music streams, I decided to get another FM tuner!  I bought a MacIntosh MR71 and a good roof antenna.  On the night of testing I discovered that my favorite jazz station was long gone and the only stations I can receive are playing internet streams.   I finally removed the MR71 and replaced it with a much more modestly priced Sansui so that when it sounds like shit it won't annoy me as bad.  Since one of the favorite "Streaming" tricks is bass manipulation, the MR71 made it unbearable.  The Sansui is more dry and less effected by this.  Adding the Gold Pill to this tuner has made it possible to listen to it.  It's probably the best application for the Pills that I have here at our shop.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 04/29/16 at 15:32:33

It sounds like their may be a home for a gold PILL on my setup sometime in the future.

IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #60 - 04/30/16 at 03:33:18

Got the delivery tonight.  Thanks!

DECWARE: SE34I.2, HDTs; CSP2, TABOO, Zen Styx, RL 1.5s; Mystery Amp, ZDAC-1, Klipsch KLF-30s; Bridged Raches with Klipsch Forte IIs and Monoliths
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #61 - 05/01/16 at 02:21:50

Steve,

I know exactly how you feel with having an old friend/medium go over the cliff. FM is another lost art these days. I miss the romance of that spirit in my system.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
martin

Reply #62 - 05/07/16 at 09:29:12

After reading through the thread again I've got a couple of questions.  How much difference should I be able to hear with an un broken-in set of Silvers?

Also, how much impact does the "Emperor's New Clothes" possibly have?  I want to be as clear as I can be that I'm not in the least implying anything negative about anyone or about the Pills by asking.  I'm asking from personal experience.  I've found myself at least a little bit vulnerable to believing stuff I want to be great really is great in spite of reality.  I really like the idea of what the Pills do and since the difference I'm hearing is so subtle, what would you who've tested them think?  Should I be hearing at least enough difference at this point with new Pills (not played more than a few hours at this point) that I'm sure there is a difference?  Or is it reasonable to assume that once they have more hours on them I'm likely to notice a real difference?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 05/07/16 at 20:23:05

Martin. I am the only one on the tour who went through the burnin of the Silvers, and I posted extensively on this earlier in the thread, though others have heard the broken in ones, and their comments might help. But then everything matters in a system/room, and all are different, so all of our experiences will likely be different.

I am wondering if you can get on the tour list and hear the ones going around. Comparing those to yours would tell the tale.

Here is a personal take on audio/psychology. Especially since everything I test involves the question of spending money to refine an already very refined system, I really do not understand why folks would want to talk themselves into buying something that is not an audio improvement comparable to the cost.

I can only speak from my own experience, but having tested soooooo many audio things, by appearances, I come at it with a relatively open mind. And as my system/room has improved, by additions that have passed the improvement versus value test, I hear more! This is progressive here, and the more fine information comes out from reducing impediments, the more nuance comes out, revealing more.

Either that or I am deluded enough that I continue to support the same story I originally fabricated every time I listen. And I do recheck/adjust things every so often as I tune the system. Also, if they are illusions, I am able to make my wife believe them too, and by psychic connection. I am always very careful not to tell her exactly what I have done or what I hear from it. Often I won't even tell her anything has changed, waiting to see if she will respond. Almost inevitably she will ask me what I did with accurate comments about what she hears. In the end, she always hears comparably to what I hear, and often with cursory listening from other rooms adjacent to the listening room.

But I have been working many years on tuning this system to sound as authentic to natural playing in good rooms as possible. And to me, this requires fine-tuning everything. Finally a big listening tool has been micro detail and micro dynamics...some of the things hardest to get well. And if I do get them better, it is much more likely that everything else is capable of sounding good too, except of course if any of the countless ways we can mask sound are at play.

Within this complex, if one person can't hear something in their system/room, the assumption that others can't in theirs lacks logic to me. On the other hand, the fact that a single part in the signal chain masking aspects of the sound will render whatever it was unable to be heard by anyone...this is not theoretical. And since even minor weak links tend to be many, and progressive....the thought that folks who have solved most of these issues are deluding themselves...well, my experience does not support this.

The vast variability of systems, rooms and system synergy, being comprised of so many different components (and parts), wires, tubes, sources, power quality; adjustments made by room issues with cancellation and amplification of frequencies, and other timing reflection issues....on and on, it is clearly no mean task to develop a system to be super revealing as well as musical. A single tube, cap, resistor, cable.... can sound decent while holding a whole system back, compounded by collective effects.

At the same time, creative designer/builders have been trying to solve this for decades and yet there are still as many ways to mask sound as there are parts. And if all are not up to the others, it is very difficult to get a truly revealing system/room. If the sound is masked, even lightly, those sounds will never be heard.

Here, even with my system/room being fairly accurate and revealing for some years now, my experience is that it can get better....and the more I solve issues, the more I hear.

At the same time, from years of fine tuning with very revealing parts (many I had to make or modify to get what I wanted without ridiculous costs), some additions have become less important than they were when I bought them. This is not because they didn't help, but because everything else related had gotten better making the original thing less important in the more refined system. Particularly clear with room and power and vibration here....how and what we use to filter/regenerate power, receptacles, power cables, cable ends....how mitigating vibration refines all aspects of fine information...for fine detail and definition, it all really matters in my house and my power was relatively quiet to begin with, and the room great in many ways, and not in others to begin with. But then as I think of it, my ICs and speaker cables are equally as powerful in their abilities to pull refined sound and notably better than previous ones...everything really matters here.

All that said, the Silver Pills made a notable difference in the sound here, enough that I had to work to get the most from them while continuing the ongoing thread of what I find musical. And this is not so easy with my system so revealing and heavily refined to tastes, the latitudes of "great" narrowed by countless hours of refinement. Long story short though, who knows, that the Silver Pills were pretty notable here does not necessarily mean they will be everywhere.

My take anyway Wink

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #64 - 05/08/16 at 04:13:39

Quote:
and often with cursory listening from other rooms adjacent to the listening room.

One of the most powerful tools to evaluating the sound of a room.  I have 3 listening chairs.  One in the apex between the speakers.  One in the adjacent room just on the other side of a doorway, and one in a balcony of the cathedral listening space.  The two adjacent listening positions tell me more about a recording and an amplifier or speakers, than sitting in the sweet spot.  It's a great irony.

Steve  [smiley=10.gif]

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 05/08/16 at 14:04:35

Yes me too. For fine tuning I prefer adjacent spaces in the listening room and the adjoining kitchen. Final tuning to really get the mids and high presence, textures and air right, is down the hall taking a bath in a tiled space. For whatever reasons, in this house, there I hear the whole of the sound including the room really well. My wife calls me "Sammy the Seal" because I get in and out of the tub leaving wet footprints on the brick floor to the listening room to make adjustments.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 05/08/16 at 18:31:06

Ditto that.  I listen far more from surrounding areas.  My house is quite open and lofted and sound up in the balconey area is full and fantastic.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
martin

Reply #67 - 05/09/16 at 14:54:43

Thanks much, Will, for your thoughts and the detail in your answer (and other posts).  I feel fortunate to have found Decware and the people who make the forums here so helpful.  It would be easy for a hamburger guy to feel out of place in a steak and sushi crowd, but that's not the case here and that's how I've found so much great information and help.

I can't really see myself ever having the expertise and understanding so many here do have and I'd bet there are a number of reasons why I may not hear everything that’s "there" when I'm listening.  I've already discovered things, though, that I hadn't heard before when I've listened to familiar music after upgrading my equipment.  I really look forward to more of that, and to having the improvement really be there. BTW, it sounds like you have the perfect setup for that!!!

Just about the last thing I'd expect to find at play here to any significant extent would be self deluded people.  ...Except for the one guy who's here every time I check in.  😐  I try to keep him from getting too "creative".  Checking with others is a great way to keep better perspective.

So where am I going with this?  Hmm...  Well, I'm comfortable now keeping the silver Pills I've got - both because they perform better after break-in and because they may become more important as I make upgrades.  I also hope it was mega, super, abundantly gianormously clear that I'm aware of my own ability to  give reality a tune-up at times and was referring to that, not to anyone else. 😧

Thanks again for your help!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 05/09/16 at 19:42:23

Hey Martin. I think your reasoning is good. As the Pills and your system get better, the Pills will show more what they were intended to be. That said, it is hard to say if they will make your particular sound "better," or become more apparent to you in time. How much impact they have is so dependent on everything else. And what is good, or enough?

I think I read that you have a new Rachel also, which  for a while won't reveal all of the more subtle things it will be capable of either. Though it sounds really good right off, in my experience, the new things you are discovering in your music as your system improves will continue to show up as the amp (and Pills) burn in. It may take 200-300 hundred hours to relax into "refinement" rather than burnin.

I guess I think creativity and reality are a critical mix if we really want to seriously improve our audio experience, or anything else for that matter. For a long time my wife and I made pottery and taught enough pottery workshops to explore ways of helping others to make good pots.

In the end it came down to helping folks make pots they liked, pots that excited them! Technique, intent and materials all contributed, but really, learning to trust and follow our preferences, and to be excited about where this path took us, this was most important.

Trusting our ever-developing preferences as a catalyst for exploring more, naturally sets up the creative cycle...exploration leading to discovery and discovery creating a new beginning to explore from. References and the experience of others then become better teachers because we know more of what we like and don't like. Then refining perception, technique, materials etc just comes along for the ride.

I think this is the same for any pursuit, including great music in the home. To me, it is just a fun path. As I refine my tastes/preferences, I refine the system/room. And as the sound refines, subtler "realities" can be heard, contributing further to our perceptive abilities and developing tastes.

I guess all great discoveries came this way. Folks are driven to dig deeper than they, or the collective "we," had dug in the past, discovering new experience and knowledge. It seems "real" creative process is dependent on trusting what we notice and think enough to know there is more, and to allow for it show up. The better we get at it, the more we are able to discern. Seems like everything else on Earth to me...though there are clear patterns, everything is in a state of change, including our perception and discernment skills. I guess I am suggesting that creative process is a natural part of "reality."

I see the problem you point to though. The way our world is, with the loads of psycho stuff we are "cultured" to believe as real....I don't deny the danger from delusional "reality tune-ups." Especially when so many seeking control/power work so hard to "prove" the ideology that belief = reality, and therefore reality is "relative" to beliefs. Wow! Now that is not only a cultural nightmare, but a semantics one too!!!!

On the other hand, as long as we are honest, and trying, maybe our real hope is for a lot of us to get involved in "reality tune-ups" that actually have to do with what is real! And why not practice with our audio systems!

Wink

IP Logged
martin

Reply #69 - 05/10/16 at 23:35:19

Hey Will:

Thanks for your response.  Yes, my amp is a Rachael, and it's been playing some great sounding music.  I can't imagine that I'll ever look back.

Your thoughts about creativity and reality sound like I'm likely to be pretty much in line with where you're at with that sort of thing.  Keeping balanced is certainly important.

I feel like we ought to pull a couple of chairs up to the fire and have a chat.  ☺

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #70 - 05/12/16 at 21:07:29

+100 on Zenmaster Steve’s multiple listening positions.  Ever heard of the “L.I.A.R.” test?  “Listen In Another Room”.  I first heard of this a few decades ago, used by some mainstream audio reviewer, whose name I’ve long forgot.  But it is an infallible test IME.  It has never failed me even once.  I always conduct this test when dialing in my system or auditioning a new piece of gear.  

Have you ever noticed how you can be driving or walking down the street, and hear music coming from a bar & grill, blues club, concert in the park in the summertime, etc. and “Immediately” you are able to tell if it’s “Live” music or recorded music that you’re hearing?  I can tell if it’s live musicians performing or recorded music 100% of the time.  And it typically only takes me a couple of seconds to make the determination.

Now… some speculation and deductive reasoning applied to the above phenomena.  Consider:
1)      Live performances are typically amplified and dispersed via electronics, amps, speakers, etc.
2)      Recorded performances are played back via the same type of equipment

Yet, the two sound dramatically different.  And it is this “difference”, whatever it is, that allows the human auditory system to ascertain which is live, and which is recorded – even if both are experienced through the exact same delivery system.  So I conclude, that for the most part, the difference is due to something about the recording process itself – there is some significant loss in the recording process.

Like Zenmaster Steve's experiences, performing the L.I.A.R. test, for reasons unknown to me, seems to hone in on how close my system is getting me to the illusion of “Live”.  I speculate that it has something to do with removing the “visual” component from the equation, which allows the brain to “focus” only on what it’s “hearing”.  One would think that closing your eyes, would have the same effect, but for me, it doesn't - I have to Listen In Another Room.

My occupation allows me to work from home occasionally.  My home office area is adjacent to my man-cave, 2-channel listening room.  I almost always have music playing on my 2-ch rig, at a background level while I’m working in the room right next door.  Occasionally, over the years, I’ve experienced moments when something is so “right” about the “sound” I’m hearing coming from the adjacent room, that for a brief period of time, my brain interprets the sound it’s hearing as “Live” and distracts me and draws my attention to the music.  
Up until my enlightenment back in 2011, when I was converted to crossoverless, full-range, high-efficiency, single driver speakers and tube amps, particularly Decware tube amps,  I’d only experienced this phenomena a few times.  Prior to 2011, my system was always comprised of solid-state equipment, albeit very good SS equipment at times.  And even as good as it was, my brain had only been fooled a few times, and only with a few recordings.  
Since I’ve converted to crossoverless, full-rangers and thermionic valves, I’ve had this “experience” of my brain being tricked into thinking it’s listening to live music much more often…. Smiley

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #71 - 05/17/16 at 18:49:46

bvictor....

I think you owe us some verbiage on your experience with the Pills.... you've had them since 4/29 - 2 full weeks and then some... and not a word.  What's up?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #72 - 05/17/16 at 23:47:54

It was a pleasure to experiment with the silver and gold PILLS these last two weeks.  Being somewhat low-maintenance in my listening habits, I almost always listen to music using iTunes as a server/wireless network (CD’s ripped to iTunes lossless files distributed on an airport network).  So I thought I would contribute to this thread on PILLS reviews by giving feedback using that sole music source, rather than comparing apples to oranges by also introducing CD’s and vinyl.  

I checked out the PILLS on three different Decware systems with NOS tubes and high sensitivity speakers, where all interconnects were Decware Silver Reference, and the pills were also connected to 0.5m DSRs.  To be transparent, here are the set-ups:

My main listening room, RACHELS, is:   Apple Airport – Two Rachel SE34i Amps bridged mono – Decware Zen Styx speaker cables– Klipsch Forte II’s (SPL 99, new caps & tweeter diaphragms).  Also tested with Monolith DM947 speakers.

The second system, ZMA, is:   Apple TV – ZDac –  Zen Mystery Amp – Anti-Cables L3 speaker cables – Klipsch KLF 30’s (SPL 102, new caps & tweeter diaphragms).

The third system, TABOO, is:   Apple Airport – CSP2 – TABOO Amp – Zu Libtec speaker cables – Decware RL 1.5’s (SPL 93).

I tried to listen to a variety of music (rock, classical, jazz, soundtrack) with each set up, including resonant high notes, deep base, focal vocals, depth of soundstage, and from coarse-grained through high resolution recordings:

Diana Krall – Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
Mahler – Symphony 5 (Bertini)
Bebo y Cigala – Inolvidable (modern flamenco)
Ray Charles & Bonnie Raitt – Do I Ever Cross Your Mind
Cesaria Evora – Sangue de Beirona
Jackson Browne – Your Bright Baby Blues, solo acoustic
Bebel Gilberto – Baby
Thomas Newman – American Beauty soundtrack
Allen Toussaint – You Don’t Know Me

Up next, the review with the RACHELS.

DECWARE: SE34I.2, HDTs; CSP2, TABOO, Zen Styx, RL 1.5s; Mystery Amp, ZDAC-1, Klipsch KLF-30s; Bridged Raches with Klipsch Forte IIs and Monoliths
  IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #73 - 05/17/16 at 23:48:56

On the RACHELS set-up, the Silver PILLS seemed to take out the harsher edges of the sound. Basically, an overall softening with a slight increase in depth of image and breadth, almost as if you had finished a beer or had 1 to 2 tokes of a J. I had the impression of being in a movie theater or a highly treated listening room. The most impressive part of the PILLS was a significant dampening of background sound. The background was quiet, but not black or a vacuum. More like there were lots of sound absorbers in the room. Upper notes lost some sparkle on the top end, but they are still present and precise. Cello & bass strings breathe rather than hearing the sound of the bow dragging on the strings. With pizzicato, there seemed to be some attenuation in the sound. Bass notes overall were a bit more resonant – almost a tad too much.

For the Gold PILLS on the RACHELS, there was less softening and less depth and breadth of image compared to the Silvers. At the same time, base tones seemed more amplified and resonant.

Cycling back to the RACHELS without any PILLS, there seemed to be a return of more midrange presence. Upper midrange and tweeter tones seemed more sonorous, for example drum snares were more sibilant and resonant. Overall the sound seemed more forward – like one was sitting closer to the speaker or to the performer on stage.

IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #74 - 05/17/16 at 23:51:16

Given that the better PILLS seemed to be Silver with this set up, I hooked them back up to take some notes on the recordings.  Here are some thoughts:

Diana Krall:  (+) removed the ringing overtones of the piano lead mid-song, (–) dampened the music too much - like Diana’s voice is less present or farther back or under a light veil.

Mahler 5:  (–) holds back some of the base resonance from the string section.

Bebo y Cigala: (+) removed the harsh scratchy sound of the lead flamenco singers voice, yet the piano was clear and beautifully resonant.

Ray Charles & Bonnie Raitt:  (+) beautiful, full, 3-D sound.  Takes the edge off piano notes yet leaves the guitar brilliant. Balances both Ray and Bonnie’s voices, Ray’s older pipes sounded less strained and Bonnie a bit more like Bette Midler in her late prime.

Cesaria Evora:  (–) the entire piece was flattened, which was surprising since it is usually bright and full of movement.

Jackson Browne:  (–) on solo guitar work, strumming, picking, and fingers sliding on the frets gave the impression that you were clearly listening through an amplification system rather than the sheer clarity like you were sitting at the edge of the stage.

Bebel Gilberto:  (–) more like you were listening to a studio recording rather than the usual unreal sense of clarity like she was singing directly into your head instead of a microphone.  

Thomas Newman:  his movie soundtracks are exceptionally well recorded and produced.  On tracks like “Arise” from American Beauty, the high triangle strikes are resonant but not “bright”.  There was a loss of sparkle and spatiality through the PILLS.

Allen Toussaint:  (–) this is a great recording, which usually gives the sense of sitting in a New Orleans jazz club with solid state amps and monitors- but the overall sound was too dampened.

After several days of back-and-forth listening, I decided that I truly liked the system without the PILLS.

IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #75 - 05/17/16 at 23:57:09

Neither the Silver nor Gold PILLS were an improvement on the ZMA system.  In fact, the setup is so clear with a broad and deep soundstage, that the only noticeable – and very noticeable – impact of using either set of PILLS was a decrement in volume and clarity.  Given that, I’ll take the occasional edginess in poor recordings or gravelly voices.

In the TABOO system in the den (granted the room is not the ideal shape – hence the radials) there was a significant improvement with the Gold PILLS.  The bass was more present and full than ever before from the radials.  In fact, opposite from with the RACHELS, the Silver PILLS really did not do much.  The Gold version was particularly good when I switched to the analog FM tuner.

IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #76 - 05/18/16 at 00:01:11

In the end, like Steve and others have noted here, the PILLS are perhaps best in evening out bad recordings, making FM sound more realistic and present, or in the case of my TABOO setup stepping up the base in the  lower sensitivity radial speakers.  

Thanks for the opportunity to review these, Steve!  The listening tour was a genius idea.  

Mike D, they will be on their way to you tomorrow.  Enjoy!!

IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #77 - 05/18/16 at 00:10:53

One more afterthought - NOTHING beats a damn good recording. Wink

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #78 - 05/18/16 at 04:28:55

Quote:
One more afterthought - NOTHING beats a damn good recording.

Amen.

BTW, That was a great review of the PILLs! From what I can surmise based on your comments, with a good source it's mostly a recording dependent thing. And perhaps a digital format thing. With predominately good recordings in a truly losses or hi-res format with Decware gear, pills may not be for you. However with a lessor source like today's FM they can make a noticeable improvement in listenability.  This is part of the reason why when I discovered the idea during the development of the TORII JR, that I didn't make it a permanent part of the amp as I was initially tempted to do.

I look forward to more experiences with the PILL's because if nothing else it's some great science to see what the effects are in the real world.

I found real merit in the PILL's for me personally one night when an LP I purchased of Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett sounded disappointingly like a CD that was just dumped to vinyl. The Silver Pills made that record sound like it came from a good analog master and made it really dense, smooth, and animated. It's a great record that I would have never listened to again if not for the PILL Smiley

I guess Pills are a tool for the music lover to overcome limitations in source components, formats or recordings.  Probably a completely unnecessary invention if not for the side effect of becoming an audiophile which is that you can never listen backwards. You're too spoiled by what is possible when the recordings and gear are well done.

I use my silver's to fix certain recordings on a case by case basis, and that includes records.  I use the Golds for all internet streams of any resolution and FM radio.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #79 - 05/18/16 at 20:38:52

I appreciate everyone’s efforts so far on the sharing of experiences and impressions of the PILLs.  At this point it may be a moot point for the tour to continue!  I feel like I already know exactly what impact they will have…. However, I am always anxious to hear and play around with new “toys” - in my sandbox!

I intend to take a different approach to PILL auditioning than some of the other folks who have already.  My intention is to “isolate” the PILLs as much as possible in a purist system, so as to more easily be able to ascertain exactly what effect the PILLs have on the sound while eliminating as many variables as possible.  I’m sure I will “stray” a bit from this plan as my auditioning proceeds and because I have so many different sources, components and speakers laying around.  But it is my intention, at least at the outset, to introduce them into as pure a configuration as possible, which is my main system, which I listen to exclusively for “dedicated listening” in the man cave.  This system has been stable for over a year now (except for some cable experiments), so I know exactly how this system “sounds”.  Any difference, however slight, instigated by the insertion of the PILLs into this system, should be easily identifiable.

To remove as many variables as possible, I plan to remove my Aesthetix Calypso preamp from the chain and run my DAC straight into my Torii, which will be driving high-efficiency, full-range, crossoverless speakers.  This is the most revealing system I’ve ever owned for sure, possibly ever heard - in my life.  I will initially be using a hard-drive based server as my music source (various levels of resolution).  Once I think I’ve got a handle on the PILLs with this source, I will move to some other extraneous sources, both analog and digital streaming from the www – I do not have a vinyl rig (yet), nor a reel-to-reel for master tapes, so I won’t be providing any insight there.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the PILLs may provide the same “fix” for lessor quality sources/recordings as another “device” I’ve utilized for years for this purpose.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I will reveal more details after I’ve had a chance to take the PILLs for a test drive.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 05/18/16 at 20:39:35

The gold PILLS for my FM radio are in my future.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #81 - 05/21/16 at 14:14:57

PILLs arrived via UPS about 7 p.m. last night (UPS working late this time of year?).  Gotta work today, I'm an I/T guy... and we have a weekend installation.  I don't expect to get to play with the PILLs till late tonight and Sunday.  I will provide initial impression updates on Monday.  Have a Great weekend all!

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #82 - 05/25/16 at 18:42:40

First impressions: Does the emperor have new clothes?

Using my reference recordings, which granted are some of the best recorded music I have, detectable differences so far, have been very subtle.  For the most part, much more subtle than say “tube rolling” to fine tune the sound of your system.  Each person will have their own definition or degree of what constitutes “subtle”.  More on this later….

I have not taken the approach of “re-tuning” my system to accommodate the PILLs, but rather to see if I can determine what “effect” injecting the PILLs into my system (as is) has – positive, negative, none – and to what degree.  My system is already finely tuned to my liking and I’m relatively happy with it – at least as content as a “phile” can ever be with his system.

My first approach to listening to the PILLs was focused on listening for “more” or “less” detail.  Could I hear something better, easier or less, not as well, etc.  This approach (with only high quality recordings so far) has turned out to be an exercise in futility.  After wearing out the RCA input jacks on my Torii and two pairs of interconnects trying to A/B, I could not reliably detect any increase nor decrease in detail resolution, with either the gold nor the silver PILLs.  But other perceived differences in the sound seemed to keep distracting me from this approach.  To my ears, here at the outset, the differences the PILLs impart, is not any more or less rez, but how the information that “is there” is “presented”.  
My initial impression, at this point, for the gold version, is that it has a soothing effect on the sound – relaxes the sound.  Some might describe it as imparting a more “distant” presentation.  All the details are still there, just a tad more relaxed sounding.
The silver version, on the other hand, seems to have a bit of an “enlightening” effect, making the sound perhaps a smidge more vivid or clear.  I’m not talking about being bright, forward, sibilant etc. – not that at all.  They do not create a sense of hyped up detail to achieve a stereotypical “high end” sound, but seem to enhance detail in a very natural way that just seems a smidge more “obvious”, easier to hear – more “there” there.  It’s hard to put into words.  

I do believe that most people, who do not listen to their system for 10 hours a day – every day, but only for a few hours in total per week or on the weekend, will find the differences fairly subtle to detect.  More extended listening to the PILLs this weekend is definitely in order.  Mostly because I have found the approach of listening to a new component/cable/etc in my system for long periods of time, and then removing it, to be more telling than the initial impressions were.  i.e. When it’s removed, do I get the “something is missing” feeling.

Another thing I hadn’t thought of until a ways into the listening tests, is the type of interconnects I’m using, which are Alpha-Core Goertz silver foil.  These have been my reference for years.  I’ve tried literally dozens of other cables on both tube and solid state components and I always come back to these.  These cables are, by design, low impedance, low inductance, and because of this tend to be more capacitive than most IC’s as I understand it.  This may come into play with the PILLs, which I believe are essentially capacitors of some kind.  There may be an interaction at play here and produce “unusual” results, or results “different” than when used with a more typical IC design.  I’m not an electrical engineer.  Perhaps Steve could shed some light here.  Time permitting, I will try some different IC’s, but that will necessitate me acclimating to the sound of different IC’s too, which would detract from my goal of isolating the PILLs as the “only” changing variable in the equation.
More extended listening coming up over the long weekend ahead.  Next audition update early next week, and then the PILLs will be on their way to the next person on the list.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #83 - 05/25/16 at 21:19:27

Interesting, and thanks for the report.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #84 - 05/26/16 at 04:19:03

Quote:
To my ears, here at the outset, the differences the PILLs impart, is not any more or less rez, but how the information that “is there” is “presented”.  

Your ears are working properly! You can't add detail, you can remove it, but that's the opposite effect we're going for. It's all about the presentation, more specifically the timing, more specifically than that, the timing of each individual note across the frequency spectrum aka phase angle changes from low frequencies to high frequencies.  And what happens when all frequencies are called upon at the same time...? How harmonious are the phase angles of all 20,000 course frequencies and all 2 million fine frequencies relative to each other? Why are these phase angles not right in the first place you ask?  Well sadly they become modified as an artifact or side effect of mostly the playback process, and most evident in the digital medium.

I really have to say so far your review captures it rather well. The music gets more relaxed because the phase angles are more harmonious which is less artificial and less artificial is more easily and freely accepted by the brain.

Outstanding first impressions and very well communicated!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 05/29/16 at 02:38:44

did anyone else find a greater impact with redbook vs. "hd" downloads, like i did?  i found the greatest impact (in my system) using the silver pills with cd (redfile) flac rips.

why is that?  that make sense?

why did my brain and ears like that vs. anything else i ran thru the pills?

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #86 - 05/29/16 at 02:59:02

Are these the lowest resolution files you play through the Pills?  They may be the most flawed by nature or process, or flawed in the way that the Pills can readily improve upon/correct. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DB2

Reply #87 - 05/29/16 at 21:48:40

"Did anyone else find a greater impact with redbook vs. "hd" downloads, like i did?"

Most of the 'digititis' that people complain about with CDs comes from jitter and other timing errors. If, as Steve writes, the PILLs work on reducing timing errors then their effects would be more noticeable at lower resolution recordings.

In the June issue of Stereophile Jim Austin talks with the recording engineer at 2L Recordings in Norway, Morten Lindberg:

For all the discussion of jitter over the last two decades -- and all the discussion of minimum-phase and anodizing filters -- little has been written about what timing errors sound like and how they affect our perception of music. Here was an expert [Lindberg] with wide experience doing exactly that. I kept the conversation going.

"Our perception of time smear is very similar to how our mind deals with reverb," Lindberg told me. Time smear in digital recordings -- the cumulative effect of all those low-pass filters -- creates a sort of unintentional reverb, obscuring detail in time and space. This, he emphasized, is more aural analogy than precise technical parallel: "Don't take these analogies too literally, as the converter blur is in the microseconds and early reflections of a reverb is in the milliseconds, but the modeling and effects on our auditory perceptions are comparable."

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #88 - 06/02/16 at 19:59:26

I’m not going to write a novel on my impression/experience with the PILLs, for two reasons:
  • 1) "hearing” is a perception, and an individual perception at that.  You will not necessarily hear the same thing as I, nor anybody else.  I can't tell you what "you" will hear, nor what you "should" hear.
  • 2) Anyone interested or curious about the PILLs, should try/audition these themselves, in their room, in their system, with their own music and reach their own conclusions.  

That said, I will conclude with the final point, that my initialize impressions held up over the period of time I’ve had the PILLs, only more so.  Or I should say that over time I became more sure of the PILLs effect on the sound of system.  
This will probably set off some BS meters, but the PILLs effect is kind of subliminal IMO - it’s hard to verbalize.  But it’s almost like the pinna, inner ear, auditory nerve, brain, etc., the whole auditory system is not working as hard to produce the illusion that it’s hearing real/live music – i.e. performers in the room with you or you’re where the performance was given.  

Listen for a while with the PILLs installed, maybe 30 minutes with some of your favorite music that you’re familiar with.  Then remove the PILLs and listen to the same music again, not necessarily in the same order, but just the same general music.  Try not to get caught up in, nor focus on “what’s different”, but just listen for enjoyment and see if you get the “something’s missing feeling” and your brain telling you to “go back to the way it was”.  Then put the PILLs back inline and play some more music and see if positive Qi returns to your own personal Feng Shui.

I found myself ultimately placing the PILLs between my pre and amp and therefore “PILLed” everything flowing through my system.  I also found that I preferred the Silver PILLs in this position.  The Gold PILLs also sound good on some material, but overall I found them to “alter” the sound a bit as opposed to the Silver’s “enhancing” of the sound – I prefer “enhanced”.  Of course YMMV.. most likely will vary.
I feel like I could probably experiment with them more and see if their effect is increased or lessened by being used at other points in the chain.  But it’s time for me to send them on to the next person on the list.

For contrast, I’ve had a Burson AB-160 buffer for a long time that I run less than stellar sources through.  I’ve been pleased with what it does and genuinely believe it improves the sound of those sources (FM and Satellite radio is what I use it for mostly).  Its effect on the sound is much more pronounced than the PILLs and also “different”.  Anyone could clearly hear what the Burson does to the sound passing through it in just a few moments.  It definitely “alters” the sound – for the better in most cases for poor sources.  The PILLs are not a replacement for the buffer in this application for me.  The PILLs, especially the Silvers, are IMO an enhancement to already stellar sound.  I would not want to add the buffer to a chain where the sound was already very good.  As good as the buffer is, for what it does, it would be "subtractive" from a hi-rez, already good sounding system.  The Silver PILLs, on the other hand, nudge very good sound, a little closer to sounding real and I did not experience any subtractive qualities by putting them in the chain - only goodness.

Overall, I think most folks would adjudge the PILLs a “tweak”, albeit a rather unique tweak.  And would use them as a “fine tuning” device, just like any other tweak.  I also suspect that the resolving capability of one’s system would need to be fairly high in order to receive the benefit of the Silver’s - but this is just speculation on my part.  On the other hand, the Gold’s would likely prove beneficial on lower quality sources used at the output of said source, upstream of a preamp or amp. Especially any source a person feels is "thin", "bleached" or harmonically thread bare.  Which.... just caused me to think of something, as I’m writing this; which is to place the Gold’s inline between a tuner/radio/etc and my preamp, and leave the Silver’s between the pre and amp… I did not try both the Gold and Silver PILLs in “tandem” - both flavors at the same time.  Perhaps the next person to audition could give this a try.  Hmmmmm…. I thought I had reached a conclusion to order a set of the Silver’s.  Now I’ve just created myself a new quandary to determine if I should get a set of Gold’s also, just for experiments sake!

Tom H.  I’ll be sending the PILLs your way by end of the week.  I will notify you when they are headed your way.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #89 - 06/06/16 at 19:22:49

Tom H. the Pills should arrive at your address today or tomorrow - I sent you an email.

One last word on the PILLs.  I had a chance to listen to music for a couple of hours late Saturday evening.  This was the first extended, uninterrupted listening, I'd done since the PILLs were boxed up to be sent on.  I gotta tell ya... I missed the PILLs - I'm ordering some Silvers this week.
I even ordered some male RCA to male RCA adapters that will allow me to not have to use another pair of IC's to install the PILLs.  I also have a supply of DIY Lok high copper content RCA's that I may see if I can find some way to weld a pair of them together back-to-back - might be better than adapters.....

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #90 - 06/07/16 at 02:42:55

maddog
iam missing them a bit too!  may have to get me a set of silvers for my redbook flac playback.
like the idea of the adapter too.  let us know what you come up with.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #91 - 06/09/16 at 03:29:57

USPS delivery confirmation says next person on the list got the PILLs Monday afternoon.  Hopefully we'll be getting an initial impression update from him soon.

fyi - the male rca to male rca adapters I got were Monster brand... with the split turbine barrels.  They were the only adapters like this that I could find that weren't really cheesy, cheap, nickel plated tin.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 06/09/16 at 22:12:28

Pills, Pills, I got the Pills.

Unfortunately, its bad timing.  I was on the road most of the week.  But I am listening now.  Does seem smoother on some tough tracks.  I am using the silver.

Unfortunately I don't have two identical sets of ICs right now.  Took them to the cottage to use on that system, so I am using Zen silver and my DIY's.

I haven't been reading the thread but I will listen a little more and then see if my impressions match other people's.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 06/29/16 at 18:18:51

My apologies to the group on holding on to the Pills so long.  June is a bad work travel month for me and I kept thinking I would get time to do a proper audition and it just didn't happen.  So I kept them waaay too long.  I have shipped them to the next person who should be receiving them soon.  I retrospect, I should have taken myself off the list.  I just didn't know when I would receive them.

I did pull them out of the system last week and immediately missed them.  I do listen to a variety of digital music of varying quality and they do have an impact.   Less glare.  Smoother sound.  Perhaps fuller as well.  In general, just easier to listen to.

I have a few songs that are my ultimate harsh tests and while they didn't completely take the edge off, they did help considerably.  I give the silver a thumbs up (never got to try the gold).  Guess I better see how much they cost...

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Rich

Reply #94 - 07/02/16 at 23:43:59

I received the pills yesterday afternoon.  I installed the silver pills in the following system that lives in a small 9x12 dedicated  listening room with room treatments.

Bluesound Vault music server connected to Schitt Bifrost Multi It Dac via Toslink, short Schitt IC's, silver Pills, Thuan Trinh copper reveal interconnects, SE84UFO2 amp, Audioquest type 4 speaker cables, DIY OB speakers with Wild Borro Audio Betsy drivers.
As you can tell by the components that this is a relatively low cost system that I feel still has high performance and sounds really good.

This system has gone through some changes lately.  The Dac is about two months old and the cooper reveals replaced Audioquest King Cobra IC's around five weeks back. I also made some recent changes in how I mounted the speakers. So the system is in transition which makes it hard to evaluate something new.

My first impression is that the silver pills have added some smoothness, espically with some tracks that I found sounded  harsh or brittle without the pills.  On better recorded CD's and HD downloads I'm not hearing much difference.  

I installed the gold pills in my family room Home theater setup.  On this system music is streamed from Internet radio or from the music server.
This setup has a Yamaha receiver and Monitor Audio silver 3 speakers.
It is used for background music, not serious listening.

I will give a further update after listening some more.  I will be away for 10 days starting Tuesday so it may be a couple of weeks before I can finish up the evaluation and send them on.  I'm sorry for the delay to the next person on the list.

SE84UFO2, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, diy Betsy baffles, Bluesound Vault music server
  IP Logged
Rich

Reply #95 - 07/16/16 at 21:24:18

I'm back from vacation and have spent some time listening to the pills.  First, a disclaimer,  I'm 68 and my hearing is not what it once was.  I don't hear anything above 13k hertz or so.

I installed the gold pills in my home theater system between a Bluesound Node and a Yamaha RXA830 receiver.  The pills make a very noticeable improvement in this system.  The CD of Laura Nyro's  "Gonna take a miracle"  has some cuts with background singers sounding like cats fighting to me.  I just could not listen to this CD before.  With the pills, its not great, but it is listenable.  The pills also took the edge off a HD download of Cat Stevens "Tea for the Tillerman" and a CD of The Band's "Music from big pink", both of which I felt were overly bright.  

This system is not very revealing and I did not notice any downside to well recorded music.  My wife noticed the changes to poorly recorded music also and wants me to buy the gold pills for this system.

I want to listen to the silver pills in my SE84 system a little more before making my final comments.  

SE84UFO2, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, diy Betsy baffles, Bluesound Vault music server
  IP Logged
Rich

Reply #96 - 07/18/16 at 22:04:17

I mailed the pills out to the next person on the list today.  
I have been listening to the silver pills for eight hours or so over the last three days in my Zen system.  The pills did improve the sound of some of my poorly recorded music, but not enough for me to want to listen to these tracks on this system.  The SE84 has amazing resolution and detail, but this makes the flaws in bad recordings really stand out.  On well recorded material the pills seemed to soften the sound just a bit without the loss of any detail.  I think for me, keeping this system simple with just the source, my dac, and the zen is the way to go.  I will be buying the gold pills for the HT system.  
Thank you Steve for making this audition possible.

IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 08/08/16 at 21:51:07

Hi everyone,
I'm not sure where I stand on the list, but I sadly think I'll have to pass on testing the Pills, as I am just too overwhelmed with work in the foreseeable future to be able to give them the listen they deserve and be able to report back in a timely fashion.  Thanks for the opportunity and my apologies for not being able to take part.
Chris

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #98 - 08/17/16 at 04:09:15

Thank you everyone for the great job reviewing the Pills. As far as I know we are at the end of the list.

I found it very interesting what everyone had to report, and thought it was surprisingly consistent and in line with what I expected to hear.  

I will say that for an audiophile system it would probably be nice to have it switchable so that it could be implemented on demand.  Perhaps I should offer it as an option in the Zen Switch Box.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #99 - 02/15/17 at 22:08:58

The timing of me getting my Silver Pills could not have been better. I have had them in for an hour now/yup that's all. I have been using a Dayton APA150 Solid State Amp in the absence of my ZMA to remind me of why I own a ZMA and my associated Gear.

The Dayton is what it is and yeah, it is funny to have it hooked up to $9500.00 (full retail) of High End Cables, the ZDSD and 4k Speakers, etc..... .
But, the bugger has handled it all, in a okay way, hearing from the other room as I mill around upstairs the last 16 days without my ZMA.

Anyway, I put the PAC Silvers in and I'll tell ya; they are an extension of Steve's great output transformer's of my ZDSD. It was apparent 3 songs in, the ZDSD stellar OP stage feeding the PAC-S's.....more definition was getting through the Dayton with less glare and better imaging on a larger soundstage. Just down right more palpable and as I write. Not my ZMA mind you....but if it can enhance the already great ZDSD output stage....to make this Dayton scratch your head a little?......Drum Kit palpability was better too in definition. Remember, I've been Listening, although mostly passive to the Dayton in the System and it is nasty really....but....the Pills?.....the help. I think the multiplier is the ZDSD output stage my cables and the Pills forcing some good through the Dayton for sure.
.........I can't wait to run them in to my ZMA. Plus, taking them downstairs to the other Rig. However, they may not be leaving my Listening Room if they do what I think they can do with the ZDSD output stage to my KS1030 to PILLS SILVER to my other KS1030 (some sort of awesome Inductance vs. Capacitance match/hand shake going on)....and then to ZMA.

.....calling to put my order in for the ZROCK soon too.....so I have the BYPASS option you mention in your above post and SonicSeeker mentioned in his post #12, in the ZROCK Thread.  

Steve, you know how it should sound. To induce some Analog semblance into this Dayton....is way wow. Oh, and I'm not playing my best recordings either and things are more listenable (but that is the whole idea right)?! I don't know what to expect with the ZMA, but I can't wait.

Current.........(ZMA returns tomorrow)

Listening Room

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD
{Extremely Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT regular/1st Gen/RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware PAC - S Clarifier's

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Dayton APA150 Integrated Amplifier

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8ohm Taps

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to Dayton APA150
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...Dayton APA150 on High Current Output)

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3