Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 14:01:39 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The DECWARE PILL Tour sign up list (Read 17606 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: The DECWARE PILL Tour sign up list
Reply #100 - 08/11/17 at 22:09:02

Of course, with the return of my ZMA 6 months ago.....the Pills were not needed in my Listening Room System. The ZMA, NOS Plat' Tubes,.....was a Lock back in with my Cabling and ZDSD.

But, the real reason I got them, was for my other Rig. I use my PILLS running out of my Dish Network HD/DVR to my Preamp. Serius/XM Sat Radio has never sounded better. I have had them in for nearly 6 months in this capacity. I took them out yesterday.....did some Listening before going to Vinyl for the rest of the day today/evening. I could not take more than a half hour of CLASSIC REWIND, WITHOUT THEM!

Thanks Steve.....for these wonderful wonder's. I have the PILL Silver's.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Martindfletcher

Reply #101 - 08/12/17 at 00:17:36

Are the silver pills still on tour?  After upgrading my ss amp to decware, the bar for sound quality went up "quite abit" in the fletcher household. Only vinyl tested so far.    As expected most  great recordings sounded way better, mediocre or poor recordings were a mixed bag, some sounded better some sounded worse or certainly not  better (perhaps bar raised) than cd on SS amp.  If the silvers are floating I would not mind trying them out.   I must admit in particular the challenge was my wife's Bruno mars LP.   (It's not mine I swear, talented guy live for sure though)  

Chain in order: TD124 mki, Denon 103R, Ortofon RS-309D, zu silver phono cable, ZMC1, Audio Art RCA, ZP3, vintage RCA 5U4G Rectifier, Gold lion signal tubes, DW silver reference, Xhadow, Bridged UFO2's, gold lion 6922, mapleshade double helix plus, zu Druid v's
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #102 - 08/13/17 at 23:25:35

Hi,

The Pill tour ended some ago, but I am happy to report that the first 100 pills are sold out and we are machining the tubes for another even larger batch.

I have also made the observation that the overwhelming majority of buyers get the silver ones. The silver ones contain a high speed bypass cap to preserve enough top end detail that they can be used in your main system if so desired without ruining your hi-res recordings.

However, from what I can tell, at least half of the buyers are using them in the original intended context of the design which was to make classic rock Internet streams sound better. For this application we have the Gold version of the Pills that does not have this high speed bypass and therefor has a greater effect on Internet streams or similar sound quality challenged situations.

These come with a 30 day trial and are very inexpensive to ship.

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #103 - 08/15/17 at 19:52:54

AH, yeah, the pill tour ended 8/2016......read back all of two or three posts Martin?!     Grin Grin Grin Grin

I posted here, for obvious reasons.....it's about the PILL's.

Anyway, THEY WORK, at least in the context I use them.

Mine, won't be coming out of my 2nd Rig; context/use, again!

PS-plus, in the capacity that I use my Silver PILLS.....AXS Concerts and TV viewing are more pleasurable...............too.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Corey
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 08/20/17 at 01:35:29

Tone,

Tried gold PAC

WWW   IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #105 - 10/10/17 at 01:08:35

Will there be an update when they are ready?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #106 - 10/11/17 at 02:37:25

WWW   IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #107 - 10/11/17 at 03:27:13

Excellent, thanks.  Ordering...

IP Logged
fred
Verified Member

Reply #108 - 10/11/17 at 14:17:25

I have a set of the silver pills, i got them to listen to Tidal Masters from a BlueSound note 2 dac, they make a notable difference, a positive one on my system. I am using the Shunyata Research venom interconnects on both sides and I am happy camper.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #109 - 10/14/17 at 19:35:24

Can't say enough about them. Rocking Zep at the O2 Arena with my Polk SDA SRS 1.2's right now! DVR recorded AXS....glass of red wine in hand.  8-)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #110 - 04/13/18 at 14:55:29

I have had my PAC-S's in my Listening Room System for over a week now and they are not coming out.
https://www.decware.com/newsite/PILLS.pdf

They provide better separation of instruments - and that is providing better imaging. Presentation is relaxed without taking away from PRaT.
Soundstage? ....Deeper!
Tone & timbre .....first and foremost.....stone of tone....maintained.

I have owned these for 14 months now. They have been in my 2nd Rig from DVR. I have over 2000 hours on them. I was sitting downstairs and enjoying them in this Rig, thinking I need to bring them upstairs. I reread Steve's copy/prose about them again and they are made for recording's too!

As I said above, they are not coming out. They even provide more density, but without the Preamp! I look at them as an extension of Steve's output stage of my ZDSD! I have them between my two pairs of KS1030 (see below). All the detail/tone/timbre and holography remains too, that Kimber KS1030's ability to get out of the way and maintain the signal is known for. So, this is an testament to Steve's passive design of these with caps....to not muck it up and deliver the goods/signal that is there (if your System has it).

My ZMA, is subjectively, more powerful too. Believe me, my System is not lacking and I've had some of the worlds best DAC'S in my Listening Room. However, we are at the mercy of digital. I don't play just my audiophile recordings. I like to play my 1100+ CD Library!  The Silver Pills are allowing me to dig into ALL of my CD's now.

Steve stated in reply #102:
"The silver ones contain a high speed bypass cap to preserve enough top end detail that they can be used in your main system if so desired." ...without mucking up hi-rez....what the Silvers are doing with my 16/192....I am kicking myself....I did not put in my Listening Room from the day I got them (well, I actually did have them in from day one-read on).

.....and yes, I stated I did not need them in my Listening Room after the return of my ZMA (reply #100/see reply #99 too for further context)....boy was I wrong and did not give them more of a listen....after running with SS...then running with my ZMA.

I need to suffer for my Art. I figured out my Adagio's and the mod I had done.....opened up the world from these Speaker's. I needed to suffer and let the light bulb go off/again....and have these PAC Silver's back up in the Listening Room.....the Audio Gods have rewarded me again...after my extended ignorance of not having them in the Room longer the first time.

Hey, if anyone wants to see the configuration of my System, with poor mans room treatment/that works/I don't like my room to dead/Anechoic chamber Grin.....send me a PM with your number and I will text you pic(s).

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & my Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC ~.5 meter

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD {Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT - RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.5 meter

Decware PAC -S

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's or 6P3S-E's

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps

Caintuck Audio Eminence Alpha 15" OB BASS Unit
at 43Hz, with my Velodyne CHT 130 watt plate amp and 0 degree phase
Plate Amp....regen'd clean ~ plugged into P3
Auralex Subdude (a must)
(NOTE: Only needed when the recording calls for...Open Baffle Bass has been the best integration I have witnessed when needed and called on)

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

ZMA, updated with robust Western Electric Bias/Balance Meter's and new Resistor's ~ Feb/17

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD {Significant}
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)
System configured on Floor ~ Townshend Audio CD Seismic Sink deployed.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 04/13/18 at 16:07:09

This caught my attention in that Steve is doing his Anniversary Mod on my CSP3 and he mentioned that the standard CSP3 is intentionally "slow" which is good for digital music while his modification will make it super fast.  That seems to align with the Gold Pills being "slow" and good for lower grade digital and the Silver Pills bing "fast" and good for analogue.  (There is an explanation of this in the Pill Manual link in the post above.)  I'm glad Steve understands this stuff because I'm at sea!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #112 - 04/19/18 at 17:03:04

I am sticking to my story.

These PAC-S do offer better separation of instruments and superb staging. They do not take away from tone. They are between my two KS1030 IC's coming out of Steve's output transformer's of his ZDSD. I should say...the PAC-S, are not taking away from the Sonic's, only the KS1030, can deliver for me, to my ZMA. The PAC-S, further enhance the KS1030's abilities at the frequency top and bottom extremes (the 1030's hallmark-besides its omnipresent midrange).

Some would argue that this Source/ZDSD is not good enough? I would beg to differ. My DSD on SD cards Recordings, are nothing to sneeze at and better than most regurgitated so called remastered to hi-res recordings out there. The DSD and from CD, thrive on these PAC-S.

I will continue to ABA them periodically. However, I am in no hurry to do that!

....I have also found, adjusting the Reference output Level to fit the Recording of -20, -18 or -16 is now very beneficial. Input volume is kept at 0.0 for optimum results. I wish all Sources had this capability.

Thanks Steve! ....great Pro DAC, transformed by your output stage and PAC-S = Genius.

.....see my previous post for my full Listening Room System.

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S
@ -20 Ref output Level, 0.0 Input volume {and @ 16/192 - with CD's}
(@ -20, -18 or -16.....Ref output Level.....depending on the Recording - from DSD on SD or CD)

WBT - RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.5 meter

Decware PAC -S

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #113 - 04/19/18 at 19:10:50

Oh Lord!  I have not played the SD DSD card Steve sent with my ZDSD in a while (nice Anniversary case with it too)!

.....Jimi's in the HOUSE!  _ _ uk me, I broke a String!

As cool as the added bonus is to record to DSD SD from LP.....this modified DAC is about Steve's output stage to drive my ZMA direct with the high voltage output it provides/no need for Pre. Furthermore, two weeks in the Listening Room System and the high voltage output applied through the PAC-S is just so right it is sick!  Anyway, my two previous posts say it all about the ZDSD and PAC-S. Lurker's out there....I have had many great DACS in here....for Redbook....this is the one for me. If it goes down and out someday....I want its replacement with Steve's output trannies put in....and the adjustable Reference Level.  ...nough said.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #114 - 04/20/18 at 20:48:14

......the correct Speakers, capable of stellar dynamic's - are needed too.
Smiley

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #115 - 04/23/18 at 16:31:05

Well, after 2+ weeks (they went in my main Rig with 2000+hrs on them) and the last 4 days A-B-A'in ......their is a sweetness I like that the KS1030 imparts for the highs....that, with the PAC-S is taken away a touch. I think many main System's could benefit from the PAC-S's. For me,...I get to put them back in my other Rig. They have been sorely missed at running Serius/XM Radio and TV!
Highly recommended.

Party on Wayne ~ Party on Garth.

Dammit!  I took the day to clean the garage and my main Rig has got me sucked into its vortex! Must try to resist....shut off....go   clean  garage......errrrr, ugh!

Happy Spring...it finally arrived in my little hamlet near St. Paul, after last weekends Blizzard..... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #116 - 02/17/19 at 04:50:05

After getting completely derailed with other matters, I finally placed an order for the gold version of the pills.  My intent is to use them after a(n) USB DAC which is dedicated to a 320kbps Spotify stream.  I am hoping my assumption is correct for the selection of the gold pills.  It is predicated on Spotify qualifying as 'low-fi'.  I wasn't completely clear on the distinction and criteria for the selection between the two choices however.  

Therefore, if this is an incorrect assumption, I welcome input to change to the silver pills. I just placed the order on Friday and I assume it can be amended, if required, to the silver pills post facto.  

I do also intend on purchasing the silver pills for my main system which is Redbook CD based and above but thought I would get some experience with the gold at the lower bit rate conversion to decide whether to keep them or not.  If the silver is indeed the correct application for both, I can keep one variable constant in the evaluation.

My justification for this purchase was based on the input in this thread which I find well-written and thoughtful.  It appears every little bit helps when it comes to D/A conversion and I am all for that.  I have learned over the years, that what may appear to be a very subtle change can make a huge difference in the listening experience over the long haul. Less grating on the nerves, so-to-speak.

With best regards to all...

IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #117 - 02/22/19 at 04:08:37

I decided to cancel the order for the gold version until I can get more information.  To that end, I sent an email to Sarah to that effect.  

I am leaning more toward the silvers to hopefully eliminate the ambiguity that led to my inquiry.  As I haven't heard back, which I suspect may be due to the inclement weather, it might ultimately prove pointless to get the gold version for the Spotify stream anyway as it is not my primarily system.  I am focusing more on the main system.  

Once I hear back to make a better informed decision, I'll place a corrected order accordingly.  

I'll be sure to provide my impressions...

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #118 - 02/22/19 at 05:22:10

Yeah, replies have been slow.  I have an email question into Steve about the ZLC and it has been over 10 days with no response.  I know the amount of Black Friday orders was record breaking for Decware so I give them slack knowing intimately (having visited Decware at 2017 Decfest)  how family-based this business is and the amount of resources they have on hand.

That being said, if you call into Sarah, and ask to speak to Steve personally, you will get a quicker response - in my experience.  Bottom line, stay the course.  You will get the information you are seeking and it will be well worth the wait.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #119 - 02/22/19 at 23:41:44

Thanks for your reply, Jeff of Arabica.  I have no experience with Decware.  I was/am keen to try the technology.  Been a fan of the brand for many years but this is my first foray.

I did receive a reply from Sarah saying they were overwhelmed with emails.  

I'll sit tight till daylight emerges.  No rush on my part now that I know my inquiry is in the queue.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #120 - 02/23/19 at 02:04:29

Hi Keesue and welcome to the forum!

My email is a never ending challenge because I stubbornly like to answer it myself.  When you first posted here in the forum I had 435 emails (after spam) and have since chewed it down to 258.  I can get as many as 100 emails a day so if I want to do anything else, like QC all the amplifiers that leave here for a day or two, my poor inbox just explodes.

All that said, I have an idea that will solve the problem of trying to decide between them.  I have built a couple pairs of Gold models using silver jacks during one of my brain-dead moments and if you end up re-ordering the Silver ones, I will give you the Gold ones in exchange for your analysis of the differences you hear between them in the various possible situations you would use them in.  I think your experience would help a lot of people here on the forum better understand the differences between them.

So far literally almost everyone orders the silver ones.  I guess fear of what might happen if they don't gets the best of them so this would likely lend some real credibility to the gold ones and their applications.

If that sounds cool to you, just tell Sarah that I said I would include a "defective pair that I have" at no extra cost.

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #121 - 02/23/19 at 05:09:24

I would be happy to do so, Steve, and thank you for the offer.  I have re-place the order for the silvers and included the note per your request.  

Good luck with your emails.  Been there - done that.  

Best...

IP Logged
ZZuZZaXX
Verified Member

Reply #122 - 03/20/19 at 14:39:24

Will, did you ever end up buying a set after you tried them out?

IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #123 - 03/20/19 at 17:35:17

I haven't received them yet.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #124 - 03/21/19 at 01:43:46

Hey ZZ. No I never did buy a pair. I would be glad to try a burnt in pair again to see how they seem to me a few years later in my system development. My system is more transparent and revealing, and more musical, including very good playback of lesser recordings without any sacrifice to speed and detail....the contrary actually, where notably more speed, space and detail don't seem to do anything but help most recordings. I guess it is so good, I don't really want to mess with it. On reflection, I am wondering, I may have many of the best traits the pills offer without them.

Smiley

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #125 - 03/25/19 at 19:42:06

Both sets of Pills have arrived and are installed on the Spotify stream and in the main system.  

I'll leave them in for a good bit and then take them out.  I'll report if I hear a difference and whether or not I like the difference.

If I like the difference, I'll listen a bit more and report on those differences.

More to follow...

IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #126 - 03/26/19 at 01:54:16

Initial impressions of the Silver and Gold:  They do nothing wrong.  More to follow when I take them out and determine if they made a difference.  

IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #127 - 03/27/19 at 00:05:46

My initial impression of the Golds in a word: Smooth.  The stridency I find in streaming is smoothed out, kinda like finished concrete is what comes to mind.  In fact, the sound is so smooth I completely forgot I was evaluating them.  I’ll evaluate them in depth for specific characteristics once I remove them and reinstall.

I have been concentrating on the Golds as that is what I initially ordered, and to fulfill the terms of the deal, they are my focus.

Gave an initial listen to the Silvers but nothing to report other than they do no harm.  After the Silvers, I’ll swap them with the Golds at the very end of the evaluation to attempt to answer the question: what is the difference between the two in each configuration as requested by Steve.

More in-depth assessments to follow.

IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #128 - 04/02/19 at 22:54:51

A followup to my initial impressions of the silvers:

I was casually listening to my system giving them time to break in when I stopped reading to turn over the record.  Problem was, I was listening to CD.  I got so caught up in the music I forgot about the media.  

My initial assessment is consistent with the analogy: the bits go through a funnel and come out more aligned - smoothed out, if you will - similar to what a re-clocker does to jitter in the digital domain.  (I have a Genesis Digital Lens in front of my Theta Pro Basic and and I feel these pills are as equally effective, really compliment it in the analog domain and are the icing on the jitter-removal cake).

I do suspect they are probably most effective on Redbook CD and internet streaming which is why some thought they did not perform as well on higher bit rate playback.  The higher up the sampling rate, the effect may lessen.  I have a large investment in Redbook CD and listen to Spotify quite a bit so these are perfect for my system.

I'll post a more in-depth critique about bass, mid and treble, soundstage etc. as I promised but I actually feel I don't need to pull them out (nor do I want to) to see if there is a difference without them, don't need to conclude if the difference is pleasing and I'm clearly not sending them back.

I probably sound like a shill but I have no experience with Decware products nor an affiliation.  I have lived with my tube-based system for 25 plus years. I'm not given to hyperbole, not gob-smacked by new differences for difference-sake nor wowed by some hyper-analytical music rendering that distracts from the music: these pills make the media irrelevant and it becomes all about the music.

More to follow...

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #129 - 04/02/19 at 23:28:29

Keesue,

Thanks for a good insight into the "Pills" nicely done.

Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #130 - 04/03/19 at 01:19:16

Quote:
I probably sound like a shill but I have no experience with Decware products nor an affiliation.

Grin   We all sound like shills!   Grin

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #131 - 04/03/19 at 01:25:54

Smiley Shhhhhhhhhh... Smiley

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #132 - 04/05/19 at 03:41:45

I would like to share a few anecdotal comments:  A friend came by to borrow something and my main system was playing some big band jazz. He is very familiar with my system and very familiar with the material. I said nothing about the pills. I just let the music play.  

Well, he got completely caught up in the music, forgetting what he came over for and said, "this music is swinging!"  I continued to putt about trying to find what he came over to borrow.  After a few more selections he said that what was missing was the sense of hyper-detail.  He described it as the absence of glare.  What was amazing was he then used the same word I used - smooth.  He concluded that details were there minus the glare and what was left was the music - smooth.

I have to qualify his input.  He is a professional musician as are many of my friends and family.  I have been around live music all my life from opera to jazz.  For him to say what he said without knowing anything about the pills was revelatory.  

The absence of glare. You don't know its there until its gone.  The music was swinging!  I think that covers PRAT and musicality succinctly.  Next up, opera, the ultimate test.  

More to follow...

IP Logged
ZZuZZaXX
Verified Member

Reply #133 - 04/05/19 at 14:19:55

Interesting.
Please remind me, do you have the silver or gold pills installed?
Sometimes absence of detail does not mean absence of music.

IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #134 - 04/05/19 at 19:21:54

I have the silver pills on my main system after a Theta Pro Basic DAC and the golds on my PC Spotify streaming system after a SMSL DAC.

With respect to detail, I've also found the converse to be true:  Hyper-detail does not always equate to music; which to me means detail can be revealing but sometimes at the expense of being nerve-racking and fatiguing if out of balance, much in the same way overly pronounced bass and recessed midrange can make the listening experience sound out of balance.  Personally, I don't hear hyper-detail, I hear instruments that are a part of the whole.  A brutally revealing system can prove this in a dramatic way.

What I find is the silvers allow the natural timbre of brass cymbals to shmmer, horns to blare and shine, bells to ring true and voices to better resonate all without the glare that seems to accompany CD.  Reeds are sweet and a sax sounds just like a sax would sound in a night club setting.  Most notable are violins which sound sweet, seductive and soar just as they should. No hair pulling so to speak.  I also had to give a quick listen to a few arias with both sorpranos and tenors.  You want to talk about hair pulling if timbre isn't correct.

I am inviting a few of my operatic colleagues over for an 'oh-by-the-way-have-a-listen' not telling them anything.  They have always enjoyed the system, are neither audiophiles nor equipment savvy, and I'll bet dollars to a donut they'll be immediately impressed. I'll post their anecdotal comments.  Timbre...

The system always sounded enjoyable and acceptable before but nothing like it sounds now. I was always aware I was listening to CD.  I never disliked it, I simply accepted the media.  I bought the Genesis Digital Lens to mitigate jitter and the Theta for its filter.  They made digital alive and vibrant.  There was something about the simple concept of the pills addressing jitter in the analog domain that was appealing and I thought I'd check it out.  Can't even remember what drew me to the Decware site.  Ah, yes...I came to investigate the portable headphone amp and got side-tracked with the pills.

I thought I was in for a long evaluation, trying to determine if these pills made a difference, were a good difference and what those difference were. Well, my immediate and summary statement is: The silvers are subtle, subconsciously and sublimely smooth and very satisfying in representing music as music. They are the last stage of the digital jitter removal process right after the signal is converted to analog.  I swear I think I'm listening to records without those artifacts.

The golds have the identical same qualities but not as demonstrable. The effect is the same though that system is not as brutally revealing. They simply make the stream listenable and enjoyable, without the glare. The music just emanates from the speakers with no distraction. I was always aware I was listening to Spotify before the golds.  Now, it sounds like my main system in musicality.

As agreed, after the next few listening sessions, I'll swap out the golds and silvers on the streaming system to try to determine what those differences might be per Steve's request.  The question was the cutoff from gold to silver in the lower bit rates.  I can adjust the bit rate so maybe I'll be able to tell. I'll even put the golds on the main system just for completeness.

IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #135 - 04/17/19 at 03:29:00

I have not forgotten.  Rounding up my friends is easier said than done.  They are tentatively due over this weekend and I'll get their impressions.  

The more I listen to my system, I have really come to appreciate what the pills do.  The analogy of the funnel continues to hold true and the sense of smoothing is still prominent.  The analog signal is smoothed from being momentarily buffered by the capacitors.  It is a simple concept that is paying huge dividends and is precisely what intrigued me about the pills.  They are worth every penny in both configurations.

I've made an attempt at trying to sort out the differences between the two pills.  This is proving to be more of a challenge.  My initial impression is the golds seem slower on redbook cd playback, not objectionable, but not as effective as the silvers.  The silvers don't seem to make much of a difference on the lower bit rate stream where the golds clearly make a difference.  I need a bit more time for this.

More to follow when my colleagues have a listen.  Again, they won't know anything about the pills so it should be interesting.  

IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #136 - 05/15/19 at 04:38:18

At long last I was able to gather my opera buffs over for a causal listen.  They were actually coming over for an entirely different reason unrelated to audio.  I 'oh-by-the-way' suggested a listen to a recording of a compilation of arias during a break in the goings on and we settled in for a session.

After several arias, I paused for an intermission to continue the discussions.  Without asking, one of my friends said the music was so seductive it was a real pleasure to hear his favorite tenor and wanted to hurry up with the proceedings so he could finish the disc.  He is a singer and knows first hand the demands of those roles and how they should sound.  I took that opportunity to ask how the system performed.  He replied with the most poignant answer of all, "I wasn't hearing the system, I was hearing the performance".  The others all nodded in agreement.  They know music.

I am resting my case.  I have nothing more to add save a recapitulation of my prior conclusion. These pills take the analog signal out of the DAC, and buffers, smoothes and removes the analog 'jitter' out of it (for lack of a better way of putting it).  My one-word description remains: sublime.  

I suppose one could buy a super high end DAC and achieve the same result - dunno - but for me and my money, these pills are just the ticket to an incredibly enjoyable digital music experience.  They are truly transformative.

With respect to the differences between the gold and silvers on the lower bit rate stream, the golds are a better match.  The difference is subtle but audible if you compare the two.  It seems the silvers are a bit over the top, if you will, too much of a good thing is how I would describe it.  
They make the digital stream 'toe-tappingly' good.  

I thank you for your indulgence.  I am extremely satisfied with the pills and glad I purchased them. They are indeed the icing on the cake.  

Now, onto the headphone amp which brought me here in the first place.  

Best regards to all...

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #137 - 05/15/19 at 05:01:09

I appreciate very much the effort and and time for your impressions and the depth you brought to it.  Very helpful and informative, and in my case, confirmative of what I found them to do.  If your streaming low res, you want the GOLDS, no question.  If you playing 16/44 or higher, or vinyl LPs, then you want the SILVERS, no question.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #138 - 05/22/19 at 04:05:47

Thank you, Steve.  

Your product is very satisfying and it was my pleasure to review it.  My system has always sounded good, built with solidly engineered products of their day by very talented engineers whom you know well.  They pioneered outboard DACs with custom digital filters, jitter reduction and reclocking concepts and ultra sonic noise reduction when these concepts were not well understood and poo-poo'd by many of their peers.

The addition of your pills complimented those efforts, taking my system to another level of musicality and in no uncertain terms, completed it.  I knew it immediately.  It just got better as it settled. Any one with an ear for musicality can hear it without having to A/B it. Funny how something so innocuous can have such an impact.  

I'll order the headphone amp shortly when I recover some time in my schedule to use it.  

With best regards....

IP Logged
Keesue
Verified Member

Reply #139 - 11/06/19 at 00:42:42

Thought I'd update this.  

I had a need to move my DAC to tighten my rack screws which meant disconnecting my interconnects. It was a simple disconnect with nothing else changed.  Just for fun, I left out the Silver Pills. I had two fellow audiophiles over who both have great ears for music.  They are classically-trained musicians.  

We listened to a few selections of acoustic jazz without the pills and I feigned a reason to secretly put the pills back.  (They did not know I was reinstalling the pills when I did so; and, in point of fact, they knew nothing of the pills at all.  

The difference was nothing short of fantastic!  They both asked what just happened!  I just had to smile at that.  I have been enjoying the system without interruption in the same configuration since I wrote this review and this test really drove the point home: The pills buffer the analog output, smoothing it out, making digital sounds like music should with no loss - just pure music - period - end of statement.

Now back to anonymity.  (Oh, and I will be finally placing the order for the headphone amp now that finances permit).

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #140 - 11/06/19 at 02:08:06

Thank-you so much for your update!  It does really put a point on it, and for that we thank you!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print