Send Topic Print
18" bucket bass (Read 6687 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

18" bucket bass
07/09/15 at 22:19:01

This project is sort of an offshoot from regular stereo projects. That's because, I'm not trying to make an actual sub for my stereo. Rather I am experimenting with the idea that should I find a suitable driver, on sale at a ridiculous price, then I'll just take it. Suitable driver being a bass driver, high sensitivity, and that just about covers it. The experiment is use a mic to run a signal into a power amp, and the run a driver out of phase in order to cancel out noise from it's source. I haven't gotten too far yet other than to assemble the components needed, hook them up and verify in different situations that they can work.

P7100004.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: 18" bucket bass
Reply #1 - 07/09/15 at 22:20:11

next shot

P7100001.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 07/11/15 at 03:42:27

In short, I am not getting the response that I expected due to the microphone not being sensitive enough for this use. While I had the set up in the house, I also tried using the mic pre-amp combo for the bass feed to this woofer. You might remember that when the ZOB was in the beginning stages, this was being tried. Again, there would be much work to do in this situation, since the bass sounded very flabby and incorrect. It was better when I used the set up to feed bass to my regular sub, but still not optimal.
In the end, it sounds as though I am going to have some bass added to my garage system.

IP Logged
zeke
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 03/12/17 at 20:34:55

Not to be blasphemous on the Decware site but get thee to Bruce Rosenblit's Trancendent Sound and click on his DIY speakers. He gives you everything you will need for your Spackle Bucket Sub. While there, check out his incredibly simple approach for the Tang Band W8 1772 in a BR box....I built one with some very minor adjustments and it is AWESOME!! Has my professional audio engineering friends wondering just what is going on there. Also went for the tweeter add on and, while subtle, it just makes for a life-like experience. I have no experience with his other equipment but I would say he knows from whence he speaks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print