Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
02/23/20 at 17:06:08 

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print
Anyone Tube Roll with the ZMA yet? (Read 194593 times)
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: Anyone Tube Roll with the ZMA yet?
Reply #700 - 02/06/20 at 05:34:48

Quote:
Say Jeff,

what is your Canary Audio Grand Reference..??
is it a preamp, how do you like it...

Hey Delta,
The Canary Audio Grand Reference are 300B based mono block power amps.  They are the successor to the Reference Two model.  The Grand Reference amps aren't even listed on the website yet.  

There are a lot of really nice pre-amps out there.  Tough part is knowing which one will be best suited for your system.  I am using a Purity Audio Design Reference II pre-amp in front of my Grand Reference's and it is a beautiful match.  Bill Baker is know for his pre-amp prowess.  But, the Purity line is no longer produced.  

BTW, I love ZMF headphones.  It is what brought me to Decware back in the day.

Canary Audio Grand Reference//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Memory Player + P10//Canary Audio MC-10 Phono Stage//London Decca Reference//Dynavector DV-507 MKII//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel w/ tube playback pre-amp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #701 - 02/06/20 at 05:36:23

Quote:
Delta,

A couple years ago Steve told me that he ran KT88s in his ZMA and admitted that it might shorten some component life but that he'd take the chance (since he IS the factory).  I don't think you're looking at anything catastrophic.  If you are careful and don't leave the amp on all day you'll likely be just fine.  Get an IR thermometer and monitor the transformers.  If you can keep you hand on them for a few seconds they should be well within the OK range.  It typically takes hours for things to really heat up.

If you look at the original ZMA development thread, Steve spec'd the bias at 60mA.  He then dropped it to 50mA to be absolutely safe.  That's where I started but I'm up to 68mA all day with no heat problem.  The ZMA is a tank and can take a little experimenting.

It's good to be aware of the pitfalls but I think you can navigate them easily.

Well stated sir!

Canary Audio Grand Reference//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//PS Audio DirectStream DAC + Memory Player + P10//Canary Audio MC-10 Phono Stage//London Decca Reference//Dynavector DV-507 MKII//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel w/ tube playback pre-amp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #702 - 02/09/20 at 14:25:05

Started to get some tube crackling noises in both channels last week. After some amp & preamp tube swapping I determined it was my ZMA power tubes. So after ~2,400 hours I swapped in my spare set of Tube Amp Doctor (TAD) 7027a tubes and the noise is gone.

These TAD tubes have exceptional tonality and soundstage depth. With the new set the music seems even more powerful, clear, and seductive. A noticable difference from the "tired set." I have them biased at 62mA - rock solid.

I highly recommend the TAD's. The TungSol 7027a''s are also excellent, but the TAD's tubes just really suck me into the music. Matched quads are available from StewMac. The only U.S. based online retailer I have found. They're running a 10% off sale now, $149.99 for a matched quad.

HK

LR Audio PC (or) TEAC PD-600H > ZDAC2 > Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Dynavector 20x2 LO cart + P75 MKII phono pre > ZROCK2-25th > CSP3-25th preamp > ZMA-25th amp > PI Audio Group UberBUSS PC > Omega SAHO XRS or Caintuck Audio Lii 15 speakers > various cables.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #703 - 02/09/20 at 17:50:58

Hock,

What's the story on the TAD tubes?  Are they rebranded tubes?  If so, do you know who makes them?  At some point I'll get another quad of the 7027As.

Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
ZLC
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #704 - 02/09/20 at 18:26:45

Archie,

They are German designed, built in China. Beefier than the TungSol tubes, the TAD Premium Select are well tested and higher quality. They have tighter tolerances with better matching of sets.

Here's a link, check out the description for more information:

https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/7027a-tad-tubes-tad-premium-matched

HK

LR Audio PC (or) TEAC PD-600H > ZDAC2 > Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Dynavector 20x2 LO cart + P75 MKII phono pre > ZROCK2-25th > CSP3-25th preamp > ZMA-25th amp > PI Audio Group UberBUSS PC > Omega SAHO XRS or Caintuck Audio Lii 15 speakers > various cables.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #705 - 02/09/20 at 19:03:29

As far as I have been able to determine TAD (Tube Amp Doctor) is a German company that designs tubes that are manufactured in China and sells them. I have had great luck with TAD power tubes and input tubes both sonically and with dependability.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SE84UFO3-25th, CSP3-25th.Taboo Mk IV+MK III;Rega P3 w/modPS Audio:DMP+DSD,P10,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pcs; Mapleshade:SamsonV2+V3,double helix Plus spark cbl;Oppo UDP205;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati,Iso-Pods;MD90-T SE tuner; headphones: PM1,HD800S,LCD-
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #706 - 02/15/20 at 19:04:39

Hock,  I was locked out of the Decware sites for the past week.  Maybe Steve's Audio Gods know why?   Undecided

Is there a coupon code for that TAD 10% off?  I notice that I save the 19% VAT which might be an extra enhancement.

ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
ZLC
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #707 - 02/15/20 at 23:54:22

Archie,

Just checked the StewMac website. Looks like this sale is over. You might consider signing up for their updates. The tubes go on sale 3-4 times a year.

HK

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #708 - 02/16/20 at 18:41:50

Will do.  The shipping to the US is pretty steep.

ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
ZLC
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print