Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 14:24:04 

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 
Send Topic Print
Anyone Tube Roll with the ZMA yet? (Read 73636 times)
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: Anyone Tube Roll with the ZMA yet?
Reply #700 - 02/06/20 at 05:34:48

Quote:
Say Jeff,

what is your Canary Audio Grand Reference..??
is it a preamp, how do you like it...

Hey Delta,
The Canary Audio Grand Reference are 300B based mono block power amps.  They are the successor to the Reference Two model.  The Grand Reference amps aren't even listed on the website yet.  

There are a lot of really nice pre-amps out there.  Tough part is knowing which one will be best suited for your system.  I am using a Purity Audio Design Reference II pre-amp in front of my Grand Reference's and it is a beautiful match.  Bill Baker is know for his pre-amp prowess.  But, the Purity line is no longer produced.  

BTW, I love ZMF headphones.  It is what brought me to Decware back in the day.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #701 - 02/06/20 at 05:36:23

Quote:
Delta,

A couple years ago Steve told me that he ran KT88s in his ZMA and admitted that it might shorten some component life but that he'd take the chance (since he IS the factory).  I don't think you're looking at anything catastrophic.  If you are careful and don't leave the amp on all day you'll likely be just fine.  Get an IR thermometer and monitor the transformers.  If you can keep you hand on them for a few seconds they should be well within the OK range.  It typically takes hours for things to really heat up.

If you look at the original ZMA development thread, Steve spec'd the bias at 60mA.  He then dropped it to 50mA to be absolutely safe.  That's where I started but I'm up to 68mA all day with no heat problem.  The ZMA is a tank and can take a little experimenting.

It's good to be aware of the pitfalls but I think you can navigate them easily.

Well stated sir!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #702 - 02/09/20 at 14:25:05

Started to get some tube crackling noises in both channels last week. After some amp & preamp tube swapping I determined it was my ZMA power tubes. So after ~2,400 hours I swapped in my spare set of Tube Amp Doctor (TAD) 7027a tubes and the noise is gone.

These TAD tubes have exceptional tonality and soundstage depth. With the new set the music seems even more powerful, clear, and seductive. A noticable difference from the "tired set." I have them biased at 62mA - rock solid.

I highly recommend the TAD's. The TungSol 7027a''s are also excellent, but the TAD's tubes just really suck me into the music. Matched quads are available from StewMac. The only U.S. based online retailer I have found. They're running a 10% off sale now, $149.99 for a matched quad.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #703 - 02/09/20 at 17:50:58

Hock,

What's the story on the TAD tubes?  Are they rebranded tubes?  If so, do you know who makes them?  At some point I'll get another quad of the 7027As.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #704 - 02/09/20 at 18:26:45

Archie,

They are German designed, built in China. Beefier than the TungSol tubes, the TAD Premium Select are well tested and higher quality. They have tighter tolerances with better matching of sets.

Here's a link, check out the description for more information:

https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/7027a-tad-tubes-tad-premium-matched

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #705 - 02/09/20 at 19:03:29

As far as I have been able to determine TAD (Tube Amp Doctor) is a German company that designs tubes that are manufactured in China and sells them. I have had great luck with TAD power tubes and input tubes both sonically and with dependability.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #706 - 02/15/20 at 19:04:39

Hock,  I was locked out of the Decware sites for the past week.  Maybe Steve's Audio Gods know why?   Undecided

Is there a coupon code for that TAD 10% off?  I notice that I save the 19% VAT which might be an extra enhancement.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #707 - 02/15/20 at 23:54:22

Archie,

Just checked the StewMac website. Looks like this sale is over. You might consider signing up for their updates. The tubes go on sale 3-4 times a year.

HK

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #708 - 02/16/20 at 18:41:50

Will do.  The shipping to the US is pretty steep.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #709 - 07/25/20 at 14:09:54

Argh, 2nd set of Tube Amp Doctor 7027a power tubes started failing after ~1100 hours. Moving on to a set of TungSol's. I hope I get more life out of these. BTW, biased these at 52mA.

Oh well, time to order another back up set. I've only got six various quads left😁.

HK

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #710 - 07/25/20 at 17:21:49

Good to know about the TADs.  I've resisted them due to price so I think I'll go with more Tung Sols.  BTW, last time I looked there were a couple affordable NOS and slightly used quads of RCA and GE on ebay.  (I bias much higher, 64 to 68 mA.)

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #711 - 07/25/20 at 19:07:43

Hock, I just bought 2 quads of the Tung Sol 7027A from the same guy who sells on ebay but direct from his site.  I saved on both the tubes and the tax!

https://vacuumtubevalues.com/product/tung-sol-factory-platinum-matched-quad-four...

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #712 - 07/25/20 at 19:26:37

Thanks Archie, looks very good.

HK

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #713 - 08/01/20 at 19:40:45

I got my 2 quads of Tung-Sol 7027As from Vacuum Tube Values.  These seem to be very closely matched and are supposed to have been burned in for 24 hrs prior to matching.

These are by far my favorite ZMA power tubes.  These, in conjunction with Tungsram PC88s in the ZMA and lead place in the CSP3 give me the clearest and most realistic sound so far.

I'm biasing at 68mA which is below the midpoint of where these tubes will bias on my amp.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
mastertrash
Verified Member

Reply #714 - 08/31/20 at 12:33:15

I'm expecting to get my ZMA today!  SUPER exciting.  I also have some NOS tubes to play around with.  I figure I should listen to it as voiced by Steve for a while before playing around at all, but knowing me I should ask this question sooner rather than later anyway...

Does everyone really wait 8 hours with the ZMA unplugged before rolling tubes as suggested in the manual?  The way it's written up makes it sound essential for the OA3 tubes, and maybe just like a good idea for the input / inverter / power tubes...

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #715 - 08/31/20 at 13:26:54

Give the ZMA 3-4 weeks of daily play before doing any tube rolling. This will give it time to settle in and give you a sense of it's capabilities and best way to tweak the sound in your system. Be patient and enjoy it.

HK

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #716 - 08/31/20 at 15:52:43

Didn't you get a used ZMA mastertrash?

Have you found out from the seller about how many hours are on it. Not sure, but just imagining HKs idea is more intended for a new amp that needs time to burn in to better hear its fuller potential.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #717 - 08/31/20 at 16:00:14

I just turn off my ZMA while playing and when the meters go to "0" I change the input and/or output tubes.  I think the capacitor discharge issue happens only with the OA3 tubes, although I've never experienced it.  I suspect it can happen when no inputs/outputs are connected.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
mastertrash
Verified Member

Reply #718 - 08/31/20 at 20:51:32

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  Seems like this advice is really about the OA3 voltage regulators.  I didn't like the idea of having to go 8 hours between swapping in and out tubes.  It would obviously make comparisons a little harder to do...

Will, yes, I did pick up the used ZMA from the classifieds last week.  I've got it sitting here, warming up and hooked into my system.  In two words, HOLY CRAP!  I know I need to let it settle in and everything first, but it's wholly remarkable cold and right out of the box.  WOW!

I did set it up with the original tube compliment for starters.  I will wrap my brain around it as Steve intend for a while before experimenting.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #719 - 08/31/20 at 21:49:41

Sounds fun! Wink

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #720 - 08/31/20 at 22:54:25

Enjoy your ZMA. Such a great amplifier. Now you can start stocking up on spare tubes. A stash is essential ☺️.

HK

IP Logged
mastertrash
Verified Member

Reply #721 - 09/01/20 at 13:51:20

Indeed.  eBay here I come...

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #722 - 09/01/20 at 14:26:46

There are other great places to get tubes.

VIVA Tubes. https://www.vivatubes.com

Tube Amp Doctor (now The Tube Store)  https://www.thetubestore.com

I got my KT66's for my ZMA from TAD and I am very pleased.

Norm

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #723 - 09/01/20 at 16:23:34

My favorite ZMA tubes and I've bought 3 quads from this guy.

https://vacuumtubevalues.com/product/tung-sol-factory-platinum-matched-quad-four...

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
mastertrash
Verified Member

Reply #724 - 09/02/20 at 18:26:50

Well the price is sure right on the Tung-Sol 7027A's.  I went ahead and ordered a pair from Vacuum Tube Valves as you suggested, Archie.

Cool!

Does anyone run KT88's with the Anniversary Mods?  I gather I'd want to watch the heat on the transformers, but am curious to try them...  Would add some power to the amp, right?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #725 - 09/02/20 at 23:42:06

I think the 7027As run like a KT88 both having the same plate dissipation of 35W.  Watch your output transformer heat but I run mine at a 68mV bias with no issues.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #726 - 10/06/20 at 17:35:20

Mastertrash, how do you like the 7027As?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
mastertrash
Verified Member

Reply #727 - 10/10/20 at 15:39:13

Hey Archie,

I kind of picked up more sets of tubes than I have had time to use just yet.  At first blush the 7027A's seemed good.  They were well matched and biased super easily.  (I love how easy this is on the ZMA!).

I did pop the 7027A's in last month.  After a few hours though, I couldn't help myself and wound up swapping in the NOS quad of Amperex 6922's the previous owner included as well.  This kind of broke my rule about not changing too many things at once.  

With my setup, the whole thing seemed a little hot in the treble and little softer on the bass versus the stock tubes but I couldn't say really the relative contributions of input and power tube changes, but I would guess the bigger changes came from the input tubes.  After a week or so kind of grinning and bearing it, I went back to the stock tubes and all was right with the world again.  Of course, those were well broken in while the others weren't.  

After a couple weeks with the stock tubes back in place, I'm now back to tube rolling again, but haven't been able to listen as much as I'd like lately.  

The one other crazy thing I did was to pick up a set of PSVANE KT88's with the gold bases and grey glass.  They look hot!  I have been letting them break in and will check back when I have a chance with an update.

Cheers!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #728 - 10/10/20 at 18:08:26

In a general way, that tracks with what I hear too.  In my case the mids and highs are so much better with the 7027A (and type) than with the KT66 that I don't miss any loss in lower end.  Although I don't really hear a loss in the lows but more of an accentuated mid to high.  Changing the 9 pin tubes hasn't changed this perception overall.  

I find there seem to be two camps with the ZMA.  I think Steve has a preference for the KT66 but he's never posted on ZMA tubes much.

The only KT88 I've tried were JJ tubes that sounded like KT66s.  (They also biased like KT66 which makes me wonder about them in general.)

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #729 - 02/17/21 at 12:10:09

After spending a couple weeks with a quad of TungSol 7581A's in the ZMA I put a set of 7027A's back in. The 7581A is a very good sounding power tube, tight bass and very clear. With that said, there is just something intoxicating about the 7027A's. Incredible depth and dimension to the sound, totally immersive.

If you haven't tried a quad of these, I encourage you to try a set. I think you'll be wowed.

HK

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #730 - 11/23/21 at 14:32:26

Rolled a quad of new production Gold Lion KT77 tubes in my ZMA earlier this month. Amazing holographic sound with the Snake River Audio cables. They give up a bit of bass tightness compared to the 7027A tubes but have tremendous midrange magic, although I can't bias them beyond 40mA.

I'll have SRA signature hybrid speaker cables and a Boomslang digital cable for my CD transport here next week, so my cable loom will be almost all SRA. The lone exception being my rather long IC run from the CSP3+ preamp to my ZMA.

I'm ready for some real holiday music magic.

HK

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #731 - 11/23/21 at 15:49:06

Have you tried the Gold Lion KT-66’s.  I seem to have settled on them running about 55 mA. Excellent bass and awesome midrange.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #732 - 11/24/21 at 15:45:44

When I first started rolling power tubes in the ZMA I ended up running the GL KT66, When my Torii MKIV finally arrived I ran the GL KT66 for a few months. I got interested in the KT77 and eventually bought a quad. I instantly fell in love with them.

KT66 Not the fastest or crispest bass and midrange, it has a warm seductive feel that really draws you in, like gathering around a fire on a cold night with snow on the ground,  wrapped in a blanket with a warm cup of coco. Still enough speed and energy to startle, keeping the music lively and exciting. Like extra loud pop from the fire that gets a reaction from the group.

Highs seem to be a little muddled, a bit soft and rolled off. The fire is so bright you can only see the brightest stars and only silhouettes of trees in the distance.

KT77 bass to highs very balanced. The bass is fast and tight, rich harmonics still flow through. midrange is full carrying the harmonics from the bass up, giving great detail while maintaining a warmth. Slowly the midrange gives way to shimmering highs. Now you have laid a mat down on the snow near the fire, you have a belly full of hot coco and the warmth of the fire is still letting itself be known. You feel the crispness of the air on your cheeks.  Looking at the trees you can see a little bit of detail that you couldn't see with the bright fire in your vision. As you lay down to look at the stars you are drawn into how many stars are out there, You are left in awe staring up at the vastness.

HK, Grats on the new SRA cables! As you know I'm a huge fan of them.

If they sound good and that's what they are biased at I would let it be and enjoy. My brother is running JJ KT77 in his ZMA and he prefers them biased low.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #733 - 11/24/21 at 16:27:13

Yes GS, I found the Gold Lion KT77 tubes better balanced than the KT66. I haven't listened to the latter in a long time, actually prior to having the 25th Anniversary mods done. I may drop them in for another listen. I find the KT77 and 7027A power tubes in the ZMA to be my favorite tubes. The 7027A's a slightly tighter bass and clearer sound, but the KT77's very linear bottom to top and throws a very holographic soundstage with that just right, natural sounding midrange.

HK

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #734 - 11/24/21 at 16:45:03

Interesting on the KT77s.  One of my Tung-Sol 7027As sparked and failed last night so I'm in the market for new tubes.  I put my Tung-Sol 7581As back in and they just don't have the low end of the 7027As.  I was going to just get more of the latter (price and performance are both good) but maybe I'll look at the KT77s.  Any thoughts beyond the Gold Lions?

At what do you bias the KT77s?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #735 - 11/24/21 at 17:16:12

Archie,

For new production KT77 tubes, your limited to JJ or Gold Lion. I really like the Gold Lion offerings. I've steered clear of JJ tubes based on reliability issues with the brand, they tend to fail early.

With my ZMA amp I can't bias these tubes any higher than 40mA. That's the way Steve set up the amp. Thats at the upper range of high settings for the KT-77 tube, but some folks like to run them up to 50mA. SQ is excellent at 40mA, so I'm not sure what the extra bias gets you, other than shorter tube life.

I've had good reliability with new production Gold Lion tubes in the past, so I'd recommend this option.

HK

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #736 - 11/24/21 at 17:25:49

I had to look up the KT77 plate dissipation.  I had thought it was more like the 7027A but it's like the EL34 so 40ma makes sense.  Have you tried EL34s?  I tried a Tung-Sol quad but didn't think they competed with my other favorites.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #737 - 11/24/21 at 22:07:08

Much better sounding than the Svetlana Winged C EL-34 tubes in my ZMA. Not bloated, tighter bass and no noticable treble roll off.

HK

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #738 - 12/03/21 at 16:09:39

I put in the Gold Lion KT77's last night and so far I am impressed. It seems the dynamic range is wider and the highs and bass clearer and more pronounced. I'm also hearing things in the midrange I had not heard before.

I cannot get the bias much above 40.

Anyone try the GL 6922's.  I about to push the buy button.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #739 - 12/03/21 at 16:27:14

NormD,

Glad you are enjoying the GL KT77's. I too was surprised as my only venture with EL-34 tubes left me disappointed. I have not used the GL 6822'tubes in the ZMA, but in my CSP3+ preamp. They are solid and add a bit of warmth to the mix.

FWIW, I put a quad of 1960's Russian 6N5P tubes in the ZMA a few years ago and haven't looked back. Exceptional clarity and balance with Decware gear. Bought my latest quad directly from Decware.

HK

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #740 - 12/05/21 at 01:54:10

Why did you go with the GL KT77 instead of GL KT66?

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #741 - 12/10/21 at 16:08:01

Snake River Audio cable update: after about 120 hours on the Signature Hybrid speaker and Boomslang digital cables they are beginning to bloom. This after Jonny @ SRA played 170 hours of music on them before they were shipped.

Anyway, they are sounding really gorgeous now. Increased levels of micro detail and soundstage just envelopes my ears. According to GroovySauce I have another 50-70 hours before complete liftoff. Can't wait, glad I took this fork on my system journey for sure😉

HK

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #742 - 12/10/21 at 17:55:38

The SRA cables are really something special, they really allow the DECWARE amps to provide the holographic music.

I found the GL 6922's in the ZMA a bit too laid back for me. More of the romantic tube sound. I prefer, and they are my favorite so far, the Electro-harmonix gold pin 6922. They are less money too which is nice.

Will suggested I try 6P3S-E which is a Russian mil. spec. 6L6GC. It's going to be January before I get the tubes... I also bought a quad of Tung-Sol 6l6G Fat bottles. These are massive tubes!

I've only got 20ish hours on them and they are still changing. When I get more time on them I'll give an update.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #743 - 12/10/21 at 17:58:53

To clarify, I have a Torii MKIV. I did try the GL 6922 in a ZMA compared to the EH GPs.

The photo I posted is of my Torii.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #744 - 12/10/21 at 18:37:04

Quote:
Will suggested I try 6P3S-E which is a Russian mil. spec.

I have several quads of these and I really like them.  However, they seem to lack the bass punch of the 7027As and 7581As.  Their mids are fantastic though.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #745 - 12/12/21 at 06:17:43

Now my Tung-Sol 7581As blew up.  Nice light show in one of the tubes.  I put some 6P3S-Es in,  Just as I remembered, nice sounding tubes but bass shy.  I guess I'll have to order some more 7027As.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #746 - 12/12/21 at 14:15:37

After 40-50 hours on the Tung-Sol 6l6G I took them out. I'll give a very brief report. Tung-Sol 6l6g were too "fat" for me. They did offer a really nice density, similar to gain riding. In my system they got too dense on some songs and made it necessary to "listen through" the density for some of the higher frequency details. I currently don't have my Zrock2 in the system. At times with the 6l6G it sounded like I had the Zrock2 in and it was turned up a little too much. They did have a nice enveloping quality.

If you're looking to add some density to your system the Tung-Sol 6l6G "fat bottle"  is worth looking into.

Vs. the GL KT66's, 6l6g have more top end extension  I haven't used them in a few months so this suspect.

Vs. GL KT77 the KT77 is more balanced top to bottom. Tighter bass.

Archie, I found the 7027A's to be very dry, bass was fast and clear, not much richness. That was in my Torii a few months ago. I did run them in a ZMA last year driving F15's I don't recall the sound. I do remember that they didn't stay in for very long.

I do enjoy a slightly richer presentation.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #747 - 12/12/21 at 18:17:10

Groovy,  Do you have a ZR2?  That could be the difference.  I'm not sure how to interpret "dry" though.  I'm still listening to 6P3S-Es and they seem to have everything but a great bottom end.  The 15s need a boost down there and even the ZR2 doesn't quite do it with these tubes.  I'll dig out my tired 7027As in the meantime.  The ones that haven't sparked that is.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #748 - 12/12/21 at 20:44:14

Archie,

GS has PAP Quintet 15 speakers which are truly full range with a much lower bass response than our Lii Audio F15 baffles. I heard his system several months ago and bass response was tight and deep,  but not overpowering.

His system and set up's is magical, one of the best systems I've ever heard. I don't believe he employs a ZROCK in his system, but can't remember all the details. His amp is the TORII MK.

HK

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #749 - 12/13/21 at 13:27:51

I do have a ZR2. It isn’t in my system currently. It is possible that if I had the ZR2 in might richen up the bass on the 7027As. Dry... clear and precise, no weight behind it, no life in the bass. I’m now curious, I might try the 7027As again. I’m loving the GL KT77s so much that might be difficult to do.

It is possible that my 7027A are getting tired so they seemed a little lifeless. I ran them for a long time in a different system. I need a $35 adapter that I don’t have for my tube tester to test 7027A.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 
Send Topic Print