Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 04:54:05 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments? (Read 85141 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments?
Reply #50 - 09/25/14 at 23:50:59

Woohoo!  The production sample of the long awaited magic black box #001 has just been completed.  
+/- 3dB from 1/4hz ~ 100kHz. This is our balanced XLR to single-ended RCA transformer with adjustable output level.   Features a fully decoupled ground path that turns the case into a shield from your source and the volume control gets all it's grounds from the connected component. This makes the volume control work as a gain control for any amplifier that does not have one. For amplifiers that do have gain controls, this becomes a variable output used to adjust dynamics and transparency on the fly. No ground loops can occur between connected components.

Zen Balanced Input Transformer.  AKA  ZBIT.

After the fest I'll get it up on the site.  

Steve Cool

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 09/26/14 at 01:24:48

Great news!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

DECFEST 2014 PICS
Reply #52 - 10/28/14 at 03:37:29

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: DECFEST 2014 PICS
Reply #53 - 10/28/14 at 03:49:24

If anyone else took pics that they would like to add to these galleries, please send them our way!

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
EL Capitan
Verified Member

Reply #54 - 10/28/14 at 14:41:55

Thanks for posting these pics, Steve.  Sorry I missed it.

TorII MK4, ZP3, Silver Reference IC's, Marantz SA-8004, Rega TT, DM 947 Monoliths with the Tori, Stacked NLA Advents with the Marantz 2285B
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 10/28/14 at 17:53:44

Good fest this year.  Sorry I couldn't stay longer.

The back of my head and my boombox made the picture gallery!

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #56 - 10/28/14 at 19:01:33

I managed to dodge all but one photo - and Brianne is nowhere to be seen! I think we did well this year.  :)

Lots of interesting stuff at Steve's shop; I'm glad someone took the time to be curious and photograph so much stuff.

I may have some photos - but I left the Nikon in the car, so all mine would be camera phone photos, mostly to help me remember stuff.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #57 - 10/28/14 at 23:05:22

Looks like I missed all the fun on Friday.  NEXT YEAR FOR SURE!!!

Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 10/29/14 at 00:23:56

So what's the deal with the OTL?  Was it a big enough hit for people to place many orders or can we start focusing on a more traditional and less expensive 10-15 watt SET?

aka ... one that I can actually afford Grin

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 10/29/14 at 00:53:18

I typed up this extended review of the OTL and somehow lost it on my twitchy laptop and I am too angry to re-type it.

In summary:

So is it the real deal? - yes.  Richer sound than I have ever heard. So rich in fact that I found myself unsure if I would listen to it every day.

Will it be affordable?  - Not likely.

Would I buy one?  Not in the foreseeable future.  Other financial priorities right now.

Did enough people feel that it was good enough to commit to buy?  I am not sure but it was a hit.

Do I hope Steve produces it and Raven buys it so I can listen to it occasionally?  Oh yeah Wink

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #60 - 10/29/14 at 01:33:34

I've decided after much thought that I will not manufacture the OTL amp due to it's impracticality and the 6C33C tubes themselves.  Since there is no real way to test these unique tubes without making a custom tube tester they are not available in matched quads, which is what you ideally want in the OTL.  Customers would never be able to find them, and I would have to buy hundreds just to get 10 matched quads if I'm lucky.  

In addition, the tubes have to be pre-baked for 24 hours before being fired for the first time. This is done by wiring both the plate and grid to the heater and running only the heaters with no high voltage present. Again, not going to happen in the real world unless customers buy tubes only from us.

Tube life is another issue. The tubes must be at the correct temperature before being turned up past 1/2 power. This takes around 45 minutes, but it my OTL, which is fan cooled, it takes 2.5 hours. Again, not going to happen in the real world.

And then there is cost, and frankly as good as it is, when compared against the ZMA (Zen Mystery Amp) there are many who would prefer the later.

WHAT WE NEED is a design that uses only 1 6C33C tube and forgiving enough that it doesn't give a shit what mood the tube is in. A pair of monos so that the tubes don't have to match, which they never will, and gain controls so you can perfectly match the volume from each amp. Something that needs no fan, so you guessed it, I am prototyping a single ended triode mono block with a single 6C33C and we'll see what happens. Be an all winter experiment I'm sure. The tube is just too cool to ignore. Word is wired with only one cathode vs. the two that is has, the sonics destroy a WE300B which is saying quite a lot.  We'll find out.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 10/29/14 at 01:34:30

Btw am I the only one who thought Steve's room sounded the best it ever has this year?

Oh and my otl comments were based on the otl into the el caminos.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 10/29/14 at 01:53:02

Sounds like a really good idea Steve. Looking forward to the story!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #63 - 10/29/14 at 06:04:33

Quote:
WHAT WE NEED is a design that uses only 1 6C33C tube and forgiving enough that it doesn't give a shit what mood the tube is in. A pair of monos so that the tubes don't have to match, which they never will, and gain controls so you can perfectly match the volume from each amp. Something that needs no fan, so you guessed it, I am prototyping a single ended triode mono block with a single 6C33C and we'll see what happens. Be an all winter experiment I'm sure. The tube is just too cool to ignore. Word is wired with only one cathode vs. the two that is has, the sonics destroy a WE300B which is saying quite a lot.  We'll find out.

I had a suspicion this is what would happen - the big amp is just too quirky for all but the most dedicated listeners. And having to support something like that sounds like you'd have to hire an extra person just for tube processing!

Too bad, because that amp really is something. But I'm perfectly fine with a pair of mono 6C33C amps - assuming I could afford them. I'd love to come by and be another set of ears when you get something built, Steve. I promise I wont (intentionally) blow them up!   Embarrassed

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 10/29/14 at 06:31:06

Steve Deckert wrote on 10/29/14 at 01:33:34:
I've decided after much thought that I will not manufacture the OTL amp due to it's impracticality and the 6C33C tubes themselves.  Since there is no real way to test these unique tubes without making a custom tube tester they are not available in matched quads, which is what you ideally want in the OTL.  Customers would never be able to find them, and I would have to buy hundreds just to get 10 matched quads if I'm lucky.  

In addition, the tubes have to be pre-baked for 24 hours before being fired for the first time. This is done by wiring both the plate and grid to the heater and running only the heaters with no high voltage present. Again, not going to happen in the real world unless customers buy tubes only from us.

Tube life is another issue. The tubes must be at the correct temperature before being turned up past 1/2 power. This takes around 45 minutes, but it my OTL, which is fan cooled, it takes 2.5 hours. Again, not going to happen in the real world.

And then there is cost, and frankly as good as it is, when compared against the ZMA (Zen Mystery Amp) there are many who would prefer the later.

WHAT WE NEED is a design that uses only 1 6C33C tube and forgiving enough that it doesn't give a shit what mood the tube is in. A pair of monos so that the tubes don't have to match, which they never will, and gain controls so you can perfectly match the volume from each amp. Something that needs no fan, so you guessed it, I am prototyping a single ended triode mono block with a single 6C33C and we'll see what happens. Be an all winter experiment I'm sure. The tube is just too cool to ignore. Word is wired with only one cathode vs. the two that is has, the sonics destroy a WE300B which is saying quite a lot.  We'll find out.

Steve

Wow, Steve that sounds exciting!  I hope you keep a design journal/thread on the forums like you did with the ZMA as I loved reading about the ZMA coming into fruition.

Lonely Raven wrote on 10/29/14 at 06:04:33:
But I'm perfectly fine with a pair of mono 6C33C amps - assuming I could afford them.

Assuming I can afford them too I want 000 or 001 this time! Grin

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 10/29/14 at 06:48:20

Amen, Beowulf, on a design thread for the new 6C33C monoblocks. I hope Steve is listening. I really enjoyed following the progress on the ZMA. A lot of it goes over my head, but it's interesting nonetheless, and whets my appetite for more delicious Decware gear.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 10/29/14 at 07:32:05

Palomino wrote on 10/29/14 at 00:53:18:
I typed up this extended review of the OTL and somehow lost it on my twitchy laptop and I am too angry to re-type it.

In summary:

So is it the real deal? - yes.  Richer sound than I have ever heard. So rich in fact that I found myself unsure if I would listen to it every day.

Will it be affordable?  - Not likely.

Would I buy one?  Not in the foreseeable future.  Other financial priorities right now.

Did enough people feel that it was good enough to commit to buy?  I am not sure but it was a hit.

Do I hope Steve produces it and Raven buys it so I can listen to it occasionally?  Oh yeah Wink

Thanks for the overview, I bet the first one you wrote was even better! Wink

It sounds like a great amp and I'd like to hear it one day, but it's not on my wish list though (not that I could afford it anyways), but it's already close to November and it was only this week that we are now comfortable enough to turn off our A/C and open our windows here in Chula Vista ... even this afternoon I had to remind myself how expensive our bill was last month to prevent myself from turning it back on. Grin

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #67 - 10/29/14 at 13:29:21

Cool Steve! I hope you post a thread like you did for the ZMA too. I look forward to hearing them sometime in 2015 (road trip). 20 wpc mono's?

Good opportunity Steve, to thank you once again for such great Amplifiers that make music. Thanks! The ZMA with CSP3; I could not foresee ever replacing. Making room to add the 6C33C Mono's though = yes.

Well, we "fall back", this weekend (time change). The warm glow of Decware Tubes...........gets me to the other side of April. Cheers, an happy designing this winter, Steve.

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew
Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60 (.5 meter)
Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC ---~or~
Audio Alchemy front-end/Prophecy Silver Cryo i2s
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA (.75 meter)
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA (.5 meter)
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
Kimber Select KS3035 Speaker Cable
ACOUSTIC ZEN ADAGIO Speakers
XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 & ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant

SE84CS (w/Svetlana SV83's/Original NOS) & Super Zen CKC...when SE Pentodes run in Triode/Decware Style...needs to be in the System!

Decware SET 6C33C Mono-blocks........ Pending.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #68 - 10/29/14 at 14:13:59

Steve wrote:

In addition, the tubes have to be pre-baked for 24 hours before being fired for the first time. This is done by wiring both the plate and grid to the heater and running only the heaters with no high voltage present. Again, not going to happen in the real world unless customers buy tubes only from us.

Tube life is another issue. The tubes must be at the correct temperature before being turned up past 1/2 power. This takes around 45 minutes, but it my OTL, which is fan cooled, it takes 2.5 hours. Again, not going to happen in the real world.

WHAT WE NEED is a design that uses only 1 6C33C tube and forgiving enough that it doesn't give a shit what mood the tube is in. A pair of monos so that the tubes don't have to match, which they never will, and gain controls so you can perfectly match the volume from each amp. Something that needs no fan, so you guessed it, I am prototyping a single ended triode mono block with a single 6C33C and we'll see what happens. Be an all winter experiment I'm sure. The tube is just too cool to ignore. Word is wired with only one cathode vs. the two that is has, the sonics destroy a WE300B which is saying quite a lot.  We'll find out.

Wow, with those type of issues it's no wonder that you are not considering building a stereo amp!

I love the sound of my Torii Mk IIIs after years of tube rolling and isolation and cabling and. . . I'm not interested in any other amp, that's just the plain truth. I have what works for me, and I'm not trading in for a new model, trophy wife etc. -- not that kind of guy! Not chasing the perfect sound, just the right sound for my collection and I. But glad that others have the bug, and understand Steve's need to keep exploring possibilities for the line and unique products.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #69 - 11/02/14 at 01:02:36

Quote:
Wow, with those type of issues it's no wonder that you are not considering building a stereo amp!

I love the sound of my Torii Mk IIIs after years of tube rolling and isolation and cabling and. . . I'm not interested in any other amp, that's just the plain truth.

That is my goal and my wish for every amplifier that I sell.

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #70 - 11/02/14 at 14:35:58

Quote:

What's this you say!? You mean you don't build audio components that break down/fail after 3-5 years, and costs so much to repair that buying a replacement is the only solution...so the consumer must *consume* moar, therefor increasing your profits!? That's madness!  ;D

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #71 - 11/02/14 at 16:28:22

Well, I am interested in other Amps.

Other than the fuse issue I had when I first got the ZMA an noise on the ground? Both issues were worth fixing myself, because the ZMA is the Amp to beat. I am having the Rogue 100 in. I will probably keep it as well.
http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_100.htm

I like great Speakers too. I will report back in January about my Acoustic Zen Adagio's. My new P3 is burning in nicely. It is great for my front end components an CSP3. ZMA, has no need to be on it.

Peace an Cheers, Stone.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #72 - 11/02/14 at 16:35:24

Steve wrote:

You hit that goal with me with the Mk III, especially the second one you built me, with the bass controls. The other amps I'd bought from you showed me the way to this one and it has the power the others didn't, just the right amount, and the most flexibility of all of them, which helps me to enjoy my collection.

I'm so glad I found the website in '96.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #73 - 11/20/14 at 15:15:53

Well, with much deliberation... . I don't want Pass or Rogue or Audio Research. I want another Decware creation.

Do I need anything to replace my ZMA? Heck no-not ever an could live happily ever after. Would I sell any of my Amps? No. However, with the track record Steve has for going 4 for 4 for me (SE84CS, Super Zen CKC, Zen Mystery Amplifier an CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps); I have to sit down with the 6C33C SET Mono-blocks he has in the works, in my System in my Room.

Keep us posted Steve.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #74 - 11/20/14 at 15:50:41

Quote:
I have to sit down with the 6C33C SET Mono-blocks he has in the works, in my System in my Room

So does this mean I can get ahead of you in line for them?  :)

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #75 - 11/20/14 at 16:57:46

Of course it does LR!  To funny!  ;D

#0000 an #0001 again!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #76 - 11/20/14 at 19:52:24

I'm really too broke for any new purchases. And if I did, it should be speakers and room treatment, not amps. I do have the ZMA after all.

That said, let's see what Steve comes up with!

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 11/21/14 at 14:33:54

I'm not in the market for a new amp really.  I am enamored with what I am hearing with Raven's Zen, but I'm not ready to buy yet.

Would I buy OTL monos?  Not likely.  At least not anytime soon.  

But I have to say it was great fun sitting in that room hearing that amp.  I've been to a few high end audio dealers and attended Axpona twice now and still, I haven't busted the kind of grin I did when I heard the OTL.

So if Steve builds it and I like it (pretty good odds), I'll support the Decware R&D engine by talking about it to anyone who will listen.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #78 - 11/21/14 at 15:32:50

Steve's already said he's *not* doing an OTL like what we listened to at this years Decfest - but he will try out another amp using that tube.

I'm hoping it's something along the Zen amp, but in the teens wattage, using the MIG Tube. I would seriously consider one. And I think it would be a great upper-end starter amp for those looking to get into tube amps if the price is right.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #79 - 11/21/14 at 17:01:52

Exactly LR. ....in the vein of the SE84ZSM Mono-blocks Steve made for awhile with Tube Regulation (0A3). As you stated, with watts/ch in the high teens.
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1215205416

Steve wrote (Reply #60):
"The tube is just too cool to ignore (6C33C). Word is wired with only one cathode vs. the two that is has, the sonics destroy a WE300B which is saying quite a lot.  We'll find out".

I'm also thinking...since it's not the OTL...the price point is more inline of what I'm thinking too.... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 11/21/14 at 22:14:50

stone_of_tone wrote on 11/21/14 at 17:01:52:
Exactly LR. ....in the vein of the SE84ZSM Mono-blocks Steve made for awhile with Tube Regulation (0A3). As you stated, with watts/ch in the high teens.
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1215205416

Steve wrote (Reply #60):
"The tube is just too cool to ignore (6C33C). Word is wired with only one cathode vs. the two that is has, the sonics destroy a WE300B which is saying quite a lot.  We'll find out".

I'm also thinking...since it's not the OTL...the price point is more inline of what I'm thinking too.... .

Those are cool, I wonder why he doesn't make them or offer them on his website anymore. Huh

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 11/22/14 at 14:17:28

I know this might sound a little crazy, but in my room, I don't think I would go any lower in power (40 watt ZMA) with my 94 dB speakers.  In fact, I either want more power or higher efficiency.  The ZMA isn't going anywhere, so I think the next purchase for me will be speakers.  For a smaller room, I would definitely consider a SET with power in the teens.  

If these new Zu Omen Def's sound equal or better than the 944's, that might just be my ticket (to be clear, I don't think it's going to be easy to best the 944's b/c those speakers are fantastic, especially with the ZMA)  BTW the new Zu OD's can be upgraded with the Radian 850 tweeter that comes in the Druid and Definition speakers.  I think the upgrade is $1000.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #82 - 11/22/14 at 16:18:41

Quote:
If these new Zu Omen Def's sound equal or better than the 944's, that might just be my ticket (to be clear, I don't think it's going to be easy to best the 944's b/c those speakers are fantastic, especially with the ZMA)  BTW the new Zu OD's can be upgraded with the Radian 850 tweeter that comes in the Druid and Definition speakers.  I think the upgrade is $1000.

I'm with you on both parts actually. With the detail and smoothness I have, I kinda find myself cranking it up a bit. The Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 I have next to my MG944 are great...different, but not better then the 944. Zu are on my short list to try out here. Last year about this time, there were all sorts of used Zu on AudiogoN and eBay, and now they seem very few and far between. I really want to run a pair through here.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #83 - 11/23/14 at 15:56:44

Dave, I understand you would not go any lower in power in your room.

Those of us here that Listen with Martin Logans, Monitor Audio, Polk SDA1, Janzen's an Acoustic Zen Adagio's (coming along nicely an opening up).......in smaller Rooms.....I can use 2 watts or 38 per channel. Especially, in a well treated room...but not overly damped like an Anechoic chamber.

I can appreciate the differences between my SE84CS, CKC an my ZMA with an without my CSP3. SET magic from Steve, I revere (as I revere an would not part with his ZMA designed Amp either). So, for me...the SET Mono-blocks he is working on...are on my radar. I do believe the Mono's could do what a LineMagnetic LM219IA can do, without the complexity an the total cost.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 11/23/14 at 18:50:08

Stone...as you stated, my needs are specific to my main room.  I would definitely consider the SET mono-blocks for a smaller room, or with more efficient speakers.

Glad to hear the Adagio's are breaking in nicely.  How many hours do you have on them now?  Have you tried driving them with anything other than the ZMA (aside from your SS rig for break-in)?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #85 - 11/24/14 at 20:51:24

I have 150+ hours on them now. They had me worried. However, I've been told they need 300. Where they are now though, I'm not worried anymore. I still need to get them to 300 hours though, before bringing them back into my Listening Room.

So, where they are at right now...no more clinical sounding. More open an relaxed. This is with SS. They make you stop an take notice at any volume! However, still SS...but I hear the improvements.

I did hook them up briefly to my SE84CS. It drove them pretty darn well. But, they clearly need the ZMA with CSP3.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #86 - 11/26/14 at 17:51:11

Okay, I have been really laying into the Adagio's 24/7, the last couple of days/racking further hours up on them.

I am using (for burn in purposes for the Adagio's):
Pioneer DV-563A as my Transport
Illuminati D-60 Coax
Anedio D2 DAC
Kimber Silver Streak IC RCA
Emotiva UPA-1 Mono-blocks (200 watts per channel)
Kimber Select 3033 Speaker Cable
Acoustic Zen Adagio Speakers

Listening to Odd Order Harmonics with Negative Feedback is not my thing obviously for Two Channel Music Listening (thus, I own Decware for Even Order Harmonics and no Negative Feedback-via Steve's awesome Voicing an Topology).
However, I can discern, the Adagio's are opening up! I will wait awhile yet still, to grunt an carry them back to my Decware/Listening Room. However, I like what I'm hearing.

Importantly, I am impressed with what I'm hearing from these driver's an Tweeter's...it has to be the lowering of slight colorations/distortions that is helping even with this bedroom Solid State setup/it sounds good. Not great/but good.

My only reservation is: Do they lack the inner detail an midrange presence that my SDA1's have in Spades? Time will tell.

Good news is/the Crossovers can be Mod'ed! If I chose to do so... .
http://www.stereotimes.com/post/adagio-extreme-modification-by-response-audio

Excerpts:
"Bill Baker’s goal with the Adagio EXtreme modifications is to bring more of the Adagio's sonic potential to the surface and provide a new sense of voicing. He wanted greater resolution, more inner detail retrieval, enhanced dynamic extension, and more air up top and greater slam in the lower frequencies. In regard to voicing, he was after more liveliness and realism in the midrange without sacrificing the other aspects as mentioned previously".

"As I mentioned in my previous review of the stock Adagios, the ribbon tweeters already have a very flat impedance curve and overall the Adagios have a linear frequency response. The flat impedance curves means it is an exceptional speaker to mate with tube amplifiers and the modification according to Bill Baker didn’t change any of these characteristics".

I could avoid shipping an have my guys do it here at Midwest Speaker. Also, for half the price. Still not cheap...but done just as well.
Like I mentioned, these Driver's an Tweeter's with this design are exceptional...and are screaming: "Work with me to reach my full potential"!  

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew
Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60 (.5 meter)
Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC ---~or~
Audio Alchemy front-end/Remote Volume Wand/Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA (.75 meter)
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA (.5 meter)
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
Kimber Select KS3035 Speaker Cable
Polk SDA1 Speakers in Stereo (Acoustic Zen Adagio Speakers/burning in)
XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 & ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Front End an CSP3 Regenerated/116, 118 an 120v are used/Multiwave off...ZMA on HC Output)

Decware SE84CS (w/NOS Svetlana SV83's from 1980's-not the New Sensor knock-offs) & Decware Super Zen CKC...when SE Pentodes run in Triode/Decware Style...needs to be in the System!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #87 - 12/01/14 at 17:53:54

The Adagio's are staying. No mod needed. I have them in my bedroom office with my SE84CS = HEAVEN at 78db SPL peaks. I can roll back an lean back in my chair and wow! Yes, running them with 2 watts per channel. Probably less than that with the heat loss in the crossover. I seriously don't know what I would keep, if I could only keep one Decware Amplifier. Of course, the weight and headroom of the ZMA in my Listening Room is great. However, SET is SET man! Nothing however, has come close to the SET sound, other than Steve's Zen Mystery Amplifier IMO.

Okay, enough about that. Fortunately, I can have more than one Decware Amplifier. Lets get back to the OP (Decware Developments). I found the Almarro A318A and A318B recently. However, I will hold out for Steve's design. Fun however, to read/learn about this build in the Reviews an here at the site.
http://www.almarro.com/products.html

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #88 - 01/02/15 at 17:11:42

Happy New Year

I'm excited for new Decware designs for 2015!

See replies: #3, 4, 5 an mine at #6 in the "Christmas" thread (here in the General Forum).

A big tranny on the Bench(?)  I'm thinking the 6C33C Mono's or Preamplifier with Remote(?) is happening (or both).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #89 - 01/02/15 at 22:34:22

Yeah, Steve, any word on what's going on? Or do I need to swing by on Tuesday and ask in person?  :)

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #90 - 01/02/15 at 22:52:37

Steve is finally building a 300B amp!

Just kidding.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 01/03/15 at 00:31:42

A zen style amp using 6C33C tubes would be similar to or slightly above what you can squeeze out of a 300b, at least power wise.  A few old solder slingers I know mentioned this tube, and I'm now very curious to see what Steve does with it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #92 - 01/03/15 at 00:36:56

I was just funning because Steve used to mention 300B amps. I wish him luck whatever he designs,but I'm set with amps, love the ones I have and intend to stick with them for a LOOOOOOONG time!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #93 - 01/03/15 at 04:40:27

I'm still considering a Line Magnetic 219ia with 300B and 845 Tube Magic!

Cost of the better Tubes though.... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #94 - 01/03/15 at 19:44:11

No for me on the Line Magnetic.

My Zen Mystery Amplifier is so good with my CSP3-only another creation from Steve will do.

My Telefunken E88CC/6922 (A12 & B12 positions in my ZMA) arrive from Upscale Jan 8/Th...just in time for the long cold weekend of warm inside Music enjoyment.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 01/11/15 at 23:45:27

Hi guys
I have read this topic a few times, and I'm really keen to learn what Steve is cooking. When do you guys think there will be some actual news, and what can we expect?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 01/12/15 at 18:26:09

Hard to say really.  It probably depends on how much time Steve had over the holidays and how successful he was (i.e. liked what he heard).  He had something on the bench when I was there in late December.  I asked and he said, yes, that's it.

You could look to the Mystery Amp thread to see what date he started it and when he said he had something he liked.  That might give you some clue.

Also, I have observed that he likes to have something new at Decfest, but that is not till October.

I would love another Mystery Amp type thread on this amp.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #97 - 01/12/15 at 21:44:55

I'm in Peoria today and heading home tomorrow. I'll call him tomorrow (Monday is nose to the grindstone day at Decware so I don't bother him on Mondays), and see if I can pop by for a casual visit.  :)

I wish Steve's E-mails *ever* made it to me. I can send him an E-mail and he sees it, but I never see any of his personal responses. All the Decware general E-mails with News and Coupons make it to me (like the one today about the ZMA), just no personal responses.

So I'll call tomorrow and see if anything's brewing and report back (if I'm not sworn to secrecy)

Edit to add: DAMNIT! I forgot to bring the old Zen amp down to have Steve take a look at it.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 01/14/15 at 19:03:49

Any news to report Raven?

I did find this earlier in the thread:

I am prototyping a single ended triode mono block with a single 6C33C and we'll see what happens. Be an all winter experiment I'm sure.

Given how much I like Rachael, a pair of these could be just right for me.  Still working with the Torii though...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 01/14/15 at 19:43:25

Pal,  don't forget he also said they'd be about 10 grand a pair...If I remember correctly.  I'm happy with my Torii and Signature Monoblocks.  I won't be tempted, although I was by the Mystery Amp but when Steve described who would want it versus the Torii MK IV, I knew the Torii was all I needed.  All I play is Vinyl and Redbook...Well,  Vinyl has pretty much taken over the Listening Cave.  Redbook in the Den.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 18
Send Topic Print