Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:59:01 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments? (Read 76859 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments?
Reply #150 - 02/16/15 at 03:12:45

@ darrwood, yes I understand that the option of a phono stage would not compete with something of the ZP3's performance.  I see that option as a selling point for those who need a preamp and don't have the budget for both a preamp and separate phono stage of the ZP3's caliber.  They could always add a ZP3 at a later date, but an internal option would get them covered until their budget replenishes.

When I chose a preamp I wanted 3 main things (other than of course to be as transparent as possible)  ... (1) enough inputs for at least 4 components, (2) a phono stage that could get me by and (3) remote for volume and input switching.  The preamp I currently have excels in all these areas and I'm lucky enough that the phono stage is excellent and on par with some external phono stages that I've heard.

IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #151 - 02/16/15 at 03:53:25

Beowulf I use a Dynaco sca35 which has a phono pre amp integrated. I used the pre amp for a number of years until I was able to upgrade to the ZP3. I am still using the Dynaco as my amp, its been worked on a few times to upgrade and keep it going. I would love to move up to a Rachael or something but you know about budgets.  I am so blessed to be where I am with My favorite toy. I would love to spend less to replace my Dynaco, looks like I will likely use it as long as it functions.  I agree that an integrated preamp unit as you describe would be Great.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

TORII MK5
Reply #152 - 02/19/15 at 03:51:08

I wrote a paper on the differences between the MK4 and the new MK5 which will carry us over until a new MK5 owner's manual is written and the web page is updated.  

https://www.decware.com/newsite/MK5GUIDE.pdf

Steve

Note this paper was modified 30 days later so reading it will be like jumping ahead in this thread 30 days.

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #153 - 02/19/15 at 04:19:58

In the Triode\Pentode section you mention KT88 tubes - is that a typo?

It's a very interesting read - I'm looking forward to hearing this soon!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #154 - 02/19/15 at 21:09:08

Ah, did I mention I wanted KT150 or 6C33C? Ah, scratch that. The Torii 5, ZMA, CSP3 an SE84CS will do. My CKC is a wonderful Amp. However, I prefer my SE84CS over the Hazen Grid mod, etc.... .

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #155 - 02/19/15 at 23:09:25

With the new Torii being Triode or Pentode capable, I'm wondering if there is actually a need for another SET amp in higher wattages? (unless Steve still wants to create an amp using that MiG tube)

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #156 - 02/19/15 at 23:15:13

My sentiments exactly.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #157 - 02/23/15 at 05:29:43

As soon as Steve is ready to start, I'm sending in my V-capped/Jupiter capped Mark III/IV, to be converted to the Mark V.  

I'm up for it.  

I've had a I, II, and the III and IV, may as well keep climbing  up the evolutionary ladder.

Wonderin' though, how he's going to fit the 5U4G Rectifiers in the area formerly occupied by the OA3's?  Unless he redrills the two  holes for the OA3 tube sockets,   it looks to be a very tight fit for big bottle type Rectifiers.

Any thoughts on that?

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #158 - 02/23/15 at 14:04:17

Has Steve mentioned yet the price to convert an MK3 to an MK5?

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #159 - 02/23/15 at 16:39:19

No mention of a price yet...

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #160 - 02/27/15 at 14:08:18

Look forward to seeing it tgarden. It does look tight for the 5U4's... . I like the new design.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #161 - 02/27/15 at 17:17:20

I just tried one of my 1940's Tung Sol top getter 5U4G's, in the OA3 position, and it fit just fine, about 1/4" away from the transformer.

So, no issue with that part of the conversion

Also, I talked with Steve this morning, and sometime in the near future, I am sending my Mark III/IV conversion to Decware, to be the customer test subject for the Mark V conversion.

The price? Who knows at this point. Whatever it is, I'll pay it anyway. Steve is always fair.  

It would ne nice to have a brand new Mark V,  but I've got over 5000 hours on my original V-Capped Mark  III;  and maybe 2000 hours on the Jupiter-capped Mark IV conversion that was done to it.  I love the effect of the V-Caps and the Jupiters working together, so this amp is a keeper.

I'm getting pretty excited about this Mark V conversion.

As soon as I hear anything from Steve, I'll update here.

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #162 - 02/27/15 at 17:35:19

For sure keep us posted tgarden! Good news on the 5U4G's. Figures Steve had that covered for a fit. Upgrading your burned in IV is the way to do it for sure.  Cool.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #163 - 02/27/15 at 18:30:39

Hi stone_of_tone,  Yeah, For anyone who has a burned in III or IV,  upgrading seems like the way to go.

I'll keep everyone posted. I'm curious to hear how much of an upgrade the V really is.  Now they'll be another pair of tubes to roll, which can  add new flavors to the Torii amp's sonic signature

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #164 - 02/27/15 at 19:11:04

I had missed Steve's paper on the V before, just read it today.

Intriguing changes and I'd send one of my IIIs in for upgrading for use in one osf my of my systems except. . .the loss of treble and bass controls. There is not one Decware amp used in any of the six rooms I've used Decware amps since '97 that I haven't needed or wanted treble adjustment, and the one amp with the bass controls i love the most for that flexibility. Yes, one can adjust the tone in some ways by tube rolling, but from my experience this is not at all sufficient for my needs. These controls were the biggest innovation of the Decware line for me and are excellent listening tools.

I may have different hearing than others, but I need those controls and wouldn't wan tto have to buy another component and cabling to add them into the mix.

With these controls, and the flexibility of the Decware speakers in my system, my IIIs let me listen to all my many recordings comfortably, which is my goal. So I can see how this would benefit others who hear differently, but. . . they can have my place in the queue. Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #165 - 02/27/15 at 19:45:56

Lon, just curious, do you experience treble sensitivity with live music?  I guess non-amplified to take the amps out of that mix.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #166 - 02/27/15 at 19:55:26

For me it's different.  Once I had my treble control dialed in to where it sounded fine (on my MK III/IV conversion), I never touched it.

Well, actually I did revisit it, but always kept going back to the same setting.

Could it be since I only listen to analog, mainly jazz  & classical recordings?

I don't know.  I've only got about ninety hours on my new Rega RP10 with Clearaudio Maestro V2 ebony cartridge;  but 98% of what I've listened to, sounds very good to fabulous. Most of my Rock/Pop records even sound very good.   And some of the pop stuff that's not exactly a sonic blockbuster? I can always play it on my old Rega P25, that's now in a bedroom system.

I'm willing to live without the treble controls for whatever benefits the MK V conversion is supposed to offer.  Time will tell.

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #167 - 02/27/15 at 19:57:47

Lon,  I read Steve's paper when it came out and it sounds exciting and I would definitely buy one if I didn't already have the MK IV but I wouldn't want to go through another break in and all the adjustments...tube rolling etc again when I'm so close to having my main system dialed in.  It'd be starting over for me and as you've heard me say before..."The Enemy of Good is Better" or another good saying..."A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush".  I'm with you Lon, I'll read with interest about the Torii MK V but won't be getting the mod.

And on another note...Ron at cyoset not having the Tubes I ordered might be a blessing in disguise....might save me from many painful hours of break in with the new tubes.  This weekend I'll think about what to do.

Lon,  how long did the new issue 6L6 tubes you bought take to break in?  Mark.

PS...here's a question for Steve D.  or anyone else who knows.  Would I harm the Torii if I put 4 poorly matched power tubes in it.  The Russian tubes I wanted in unmatched condition are what I'm thinking of just to get an idea of what they're like.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #168 - 02/27/15 at 20:04:22

Mike, I don't fiddle with my controls much at all, but almost always the treble is turned down 3/4 and the bass up 1/2 to 3/4 or so, and this with high resistors in the speakers. Something may be different with my hearing. I've had it tested three times in the last seven years and I hear high into the range, by some miracle I haven't lost much high frequency range. But I don't like a lot of what comes through even on these the best amps I've ever heard at home. My doctor says there is a form of tinnitus where high frequency sounds are unpleasant and start ringing. I don't the ringing though, just the big brightness so he's not sure I have it.

It is better were I to listen to only analog but I can't, won't. I just know from past experiences with Decware amps (and sources) without controls that I need them. Too bad because the innovations in the V are certainly intriguing. Ah well, I'm happy with my IIIs!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #169 - 02/27/15 at 20:07:28

Mark, I don't remember specifically but probably about 100 hours for all the frequencies to stabilize.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #170 - 02/27/15 at 20:47:28

Lon,  About twenty-five years ago, I had tinnitus, and it took several years to go away.  It was no walk in the park, believe me; it was 24/7.

Now, once in a great while, everything sounds bright and ringy. When that happens, I don't listen to music, except as background.

I meditate almost daily and my treble sensitivity seems fine.

My treble control is turned to the 1/2 (neutral?) position

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #171 - 02/27/15 at 21:14:23

Well, I hope the lack of the control on the V works well for you. It would give me pause if mine were set and half. But we're all different.

I'm happy to get off the upgrade wagon for a while! My turn table will be next, at one point I'm going to add the Groovetracer Reference subplatter.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #172 - 02/27/15 at 23:10:53

as someone pointed out earlier, Steve's link to a document on the mk.V... mentioned KT-88 output tubes as possible variants to use in the mk.V.  Did anybody ever find out from Steve if that was a typo or if the V really will be able to use KT-88's?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #173 - 02/28/15 at 00:02:48

Lon,  I'm sure you'll like the Groovetracer Reference subplatter upgrade.
I did that to my Rega 25 a few years back, and it made a big difference.
It's an easy install, and it's nice to have a brand new high tolerance bearing.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #174 - 02/28/15 at 00:07:41

I'm sure I will. Will get around to that soon, have a lot on my plate right now, getting ready to move, finding another place for my Dad, etc. And very little listening time!

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #175 - 02/28/15 at 03:55:49

Hey Lon, and others with treble sensitivity,

Have any of you looked at speakers with active (or semi-active) crossovers? I have some VMPS speakers with l-pots on the treble and mids. Normally I haven't needed to move them much, but I bought a set of Transparent Audio speaker cables recently, and they seem to accentuate the bass by quite a bit. I found myself needing to turn the treble and the mids both up to compensate. (I had them turned down when I was using Steve's silver cables, as they were a little hot). VMPS isn't around any more, as Brian Cheney died a couple of years ago, but you can still find used 626s, RM30s, RM40s around. Killer midrange, I have to say. There may be other speakers with similar setups that I don't know about. It would allow you to use amps w/o treble/bass cuts. Anyway, just a thought.

Randy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #176 - 02/28/15 at 10:55:49

I'm using Decware speakers (and can't see myself moving away from these quality speakers) that have treble adjustment via resistors and also amazing midrange and bass performance. .. so I think I'm covered as far as that goes. And I STILL need the treble cut circuit in the amps, won't be able to do without them.

It's not really a problem because my Torii Mk IIIs have the flexibility i need. I'm just not able to go beyond these in the world of Decware amps should I need to as the next models don't feature the same or any controls. And that's cool now.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #177 - 03/02/15 at 04:22:23

Hey Lon, I thought that that would be your response - you seem to have your system so dialed in, now. I'm still experimenting a little bit, but I'm coming up to a time where I will have to make some hard choices, as I simply have too much audio gear. Gotta start the "thinning out" process. Hard to do, though.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #178 - 03/02/15 at 10:55:52

It sure is hard to do. I have four systems, and some stuff in the closet. When I move this summer I'll no longer need one system at all, but I bet I just find a bigger closet. Wink

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #179 - 03/15/15 at 00:05:09

UPDATE!

There will be no TORII MK V as scheduled.  To find out why you can read the now updated Design Notes as I've taken what was there and labeled it Part 1, and added an entire Part 2 explaining what happened and why the amp was shelved.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/MK5GUIDE.pdf

-Steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #180 - 03/15/15 at 00:45:03

Steve,  At least you attempted to improve the Mark IV.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm glad you tried.

Too bad about that 19K spent on R & D, though.

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #181 - 03/15/15 at 01:28:40

It would have been nice to see a Decware offering that used the 6SN7 tube.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #182 - 03/15/15 at 02:56:21

Sorry Steve...but I am guessing a lot of what is useful from this exploration will one day show up in another outrageous amp for our listening pleasure!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #183 - 03/15/15 at 12:36:06

Steve,

It is really refreshing to hear someone who is so talented, dedicated and experienced admit when something doesn't work out.  One of the reasons I spend my hard earned money on Decware.  I'm sure this experience will pay dividends in the long run.

JD

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #184 - 03/15/15 at 17:39:37

Thanks Steve for sharing the details of this. It makes me appreciate all the work you do. Are you still continuing the Amp wars of the KT150 Mono's against 6C33C Mono's with maybe, 6SN7's?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #185 - 03/16/15 at 05:26:11

Thanks Steve for letting us take part in your journey of finding an improved Torii and for being willing to not just ship a product until it is perfect in all regards, not just sounding better. Since I'm using my Torii in a small room in CA I'm really grateful that the current version does not get that hot.
I hope that someday you'll find a way to bring triode mode to the Torii without any sacrifices in other areas.

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #186 - 03/16/15 at 13:08:03

Steve, there's no merit in making something the easy way. Pushing the limits of the field makes you a pioneer, not without drawbacks, of course, but someone who leaves a legacy behind. You have proven this yourself several times already, so this is just another step in that perpetual up-stair climbing journey to perfection.

BTW, what about a Torii with watts in the teens, whether PP or Triode/Pentode configuration? A scaled down version of the excellent Torii MKIV would fill a nice niche in Decware's product range, for price and convenience (i.e., smaller listening rooms). The excellent Mini Torii and Rachael are just a bit too short on power for many applications and the available range of speaker sensitivities on offer at reasonable prices.

Thanks for your great contributions, Steve.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Luis

Reply #187 - 03/16/15 at 16:55:07

I think this kind of thing is what makes Decware so great. Thanks Steve! Luis

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #188 - 03/16/15 at 17:31:28

I appreciate all the kind words and support...  the audio Gods work in mysterious ways, but after twenty years I've learned that extraordinary dues must be paid to achieve anything exceptional so now I wait to see what that might be. Meanwhile I will go back to my 6C33 mono's and see if there is any promise there, as well as work on my new preamp that I am the most excited about.  Hope to have it ready by October.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #189 - 04/20/15 at 00:54:05

Hi guys
Anyone familiar with any development with the new monoblock SET amplifiers? I know Steve will announce big news in the forums, but some of you guys seems to have some inside information.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #190 - 04/20/15 at 08:35:06

jorgen wrote on 04/20/15 at 00:54:05:
Hi guys
Anyone familiar with any development with the new monoblock SET amplifiers? I know Steve will announce big news in the forums, but some of you guys seems to have some inside information.

Steve made a mention of the new mono SETs in the UFO mod thread page 4 and there was also a picture of the prototypes posted by Lonely Raven.

Other than that, I haven't seen anything else.  I think Steve is particularly interested and focusing on getting the UFO mods and Preamp out first.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #191 - 04/20/15 at 21:02:48

Beowolf
Hi and thanks, not sure how I missed that post, but seems like great news. Looks exciting. Might be a noob question, but a pair of monoblocks will require a preamp?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #192 - 04/20/15 at 21:47:25

Unless they will have RCA or Balanced line level inputs than yes.  A perfect match for the up and coming preamp Steve is working on. Cool

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #193 - 05/03/15 at 01:47:49

Well after a weekend long session with these I have made great progress.  The power supply was too large (670mA, 2000uf) and the bias supply was too crude.  After getting the power supply bypassed properly everything locked into place.  I've been listening to these daily now for over a week and once a few more NOS EF86 show up I'll be doing some more serious comparisons.  Right now they're like listening to giant zen amps... go figure.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #194 - 05/03/15 at 06:50:24

Thanks Steve for the update.  I've had a couple of nice days listening to my Zen as well, making it harder to consider any topology other than Single Ended Triode.  Power is nice, but transparency and accuracy is better (for me).  I'll have my eye on these with 4x Zen power, however, the requisite preamp will need to survive the bypass test.

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #195 - 05/03/15 at 15:38:58

Cool, thanks Steve for the update on these!  

NOS EF86, researching those right now.....cool.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #196 - 05/04/15 at 19:18:38

I'm torn between a Super Zen with the UFO Mod and Beeswax Caps and the higher powered Torii (or eventually the Ultralinear if the transparency specs hold). I really thing power is more than enough with my current Mini Torii, and I also prefer transparency, speed and high resolution over mere power.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #197 - 05/04/15 at 21:01:51

Quote:
Fireblade wrote:

I also prefer transparency, speed and high resolution over mere power.

I had a Zen Select and went to Decfest a few years ago convinced I needed a Rachael (6 watts/channel). Came back and ordered the Super Zen and have never looked back. Listened to the Rachael & Super Zen on the Decware HDT's. To my ear the Super Zen played just as loud as the Rachael but the Rachael did not seem have quite the same Transparency & Resolution.

IMO the Super Zen is the Transparency/Speed/Resolution Champ compared to the other Decware amps which are all fine amps. The Super Zen with Omega 6 Monitors are a great combo. If you like Rock then add the Very Musical DeepOmega 8 or 12 for bottom end attack.

There are quite a few good speakers available today at reasonable prices that can Rock with 2 watts. My guess is that the Super Zen often gets passed over because it's only two watts.

My Super Zen / Omega Monitor / Sub combo Rock just as hard as my 220 watt Peachtree. The Peachtree can play Louder but quite frankly the Super Zen plays right on the edge of Too Loud.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #198 - 05/04/15 at 22:00:49

Great, DBC, thanks for the feedback.

I have Tekton Lore 2.0's @ 98 dB and 8 Ohm. The Impedance spec is my only concern with the Super Zen: The ideal for the Zen would be 4 Ohms (contrary to the Mini Torii, which prefers 8 Ohms). So, I'm not sure if the combination would work volume wise as it does with my Mini Torii. But, given your experience with the Super Zen, I'm guessing I'll have the same results.

The added advantage now is the new Zen will bring UFO Mods and Beeswax Caps, which improve on the already great little guy. This and a new Super Dupper balanced DAC plus the ZBIT may even improve things further ...

Now, what would happen if I were to beef up my Mini Torii with said mods? mmmmhh!!

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #199 - 05/04/15 at 23:41:13

Fireblade,

You realize you have the option to specify 4 or 8 ohm output transformers when you order the Super Zen?

I've seen comments where supposedly the 4 ohm output transformers sound better than the 8 ohm on the Super Zen. I used my Zen Select (4 ohm transformers) to drive a pair of Klipsch RF-7's (102db, 8 ohm). I purchased the Super Zen with the 8 ohm transformers and right out of the box it sounded better and played louder than the Select on these speakers. Based on this I would think the Super Zen with 8 ohm transformers would do very well with your Lore's.

I'm currently driving my Omega 6 Monitors (93db, 8 ohm) with the Super Zen and it is really amazing how loud the combo plays. On most CD's it is capable of playing louder than you would need or want. I listen to a lot of Classic Rock.

The only weakness of the Super Zen is that it's 2 watts can leave you wanting for a bit more Bass Slam on some recordings (Classic Rock for example). This can be fully rectified by adding a very musical sub like the DeepOmega 8 or 12 from Omega. The beauty of this sub is that it can play cleanly up to about 150hz to provide substantial Mid Bass reinforcement.

I use the Hsu Mid Bass Module which is basically a poor mans DeepOmega 12. Unfortunately Hsu has discontinued production of the Mid Bass Module. I hope to upgrade to the DeepOmega 12 at some point in the future.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18
Send Topic Print