Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/30/24 at 02:34:51 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments? (Read 87551 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Steve/Decware & Company.....Developments?
Reply #300 - 07/07/17 at 13:55:59

Kudos on your new software and not being held hostage.

The Cad pic is: Hybrid Mono-block with balanced and unbalanced inputs?

Direct RCA Inputs up front there..... .

Cap storage too......hmmmm.

I want a pair.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #301 - 07/07/17 at 14:19:27

You're seeing what I'm seeing Stone.  Those tube cutouts look large - so hopefully it's what you've been waiting for!  (technically I've been waiting for too, but I can't fathom being able to afford anything for a long while)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #302 - 07/07/17 at 14:37:37

Roger that....on affording it, LR.

I really don't want to sell any of the things I'm letting go here in the Classifieds, then USaudiomart and/or AudiogoN. .....ebay, for my Audio Alchemy DAC's, two DTI - Pro's and four power supplies.
I'll know in a month or two, if I will part with my ARC Line Stage, 4 to 8 other Sovtek 6922's and an additional Kimber KS1030.  

But, my Audio booty cash stash, needs to be there.....to swing it.

But hey, the glass is more than half full, right?. I'm grateful for the great Decware System I have. I'll work hard, save....and this time next year....if I can justify rewarding myself with one of Steve's new Amp(s)....I will do just that.

In the meantime: I look forward to the development of this particular Cad Amp(s) and the other things Steve has going on/participate and continue to enjoy the Journey.

..........the ZMA Development thread was sweet!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #303 - 07/16/17 at 01:35:08

It's killing me Steve. Throw us another bone about that CAD/CAM shot?!

......as I bask, listening with my ZMA this evening. .....you can never have enough Decware.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #304 - 07/16/17 at 02:26:17

Ain't that the truth Stone. And this is coming from a guy with a lot of Decware!! Still have a spare Torii MKIV and Rachel with an itch to build a second system. Oh yeah...  I have no room  :(

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #305 - 07/16/17 at 16:04:34

Holy Hanna! Nine of Decware for you.

I'm only at four: ZDSD, ZMA, DM947 Monoliths & PAC-S (all new, except DM's).

I have also owned (new), Torii MK lll, SE84CS & SuperZen CKC.

I will need to get this new Amp(s)....to start my catch up path with you Jeff.  ;D

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #306 - 07/16/17 at 18:16:26

stone_of_tone wrote on 07/16/17 at 16:04:34:
Holy Hanna! Nine of Decware for you.

I'm only at four: ZDSD, ZMA, DM947 Monoliths & PAC-S (all new, except DM's).

I have also owned (new), Torii MK lll, SE84CS & SuperZen CKC.

I will need to get this new Amp(s)....to start my catch up path with you Jeff.  ;D

I've got you both beat. Wink

modded C amp
CSP2
CSP2+ x 2
ZP3
Torii Mk III x 2
Torii Mk II
Taboo Mk III
Taboo Mk IV
ZBIT
ZBOX
HR-1 x 2
ERR

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #307 - 07/16/17 at 18:22:40

LOL!  Well technically we are tied since my Torii and 2nd Rachel (non-UFO) are not in my signature block - nor is my Zen Switch Box  ;)  12 total for me.  

UPDATE:  Lon, you have two sets of HR-1's which puts you at 13, actually.  You still win!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #308 - 07/16/17 at 18:24:24

I just had to count.  Not including several pairs of DSR Interconnects, power cords and a switch box, none of which are in use...I have eight pieces of Gear and one pair of speakers from Decware.  Of course, I'm counting each monoblock as one piece Smiley. Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #309 - 07/16/17 at 18:36:17

Jeff of Arabica wrote on 07/16/17 at 18:22:40:
LOL!  Well technically we are tied since my Torii and 2nd Rachel (non-UFO) are not in my signature block - nor is my Zen Switch Box  ;)  12 total for me.  

UPDATE:  Lon, you have two sets of HR-1's which puts you at 13, actually.  You still win!

Actually I have 15. Two CSP2+ and two Torii Mk IIIs.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #310 - 07/16/17 at 18:37:24

Wow!  Totally missed that.  Winner by several lengths!   Grin

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #311 - 07/16/17 at 18:39:20

I feel so inadequate!   Wink Wink

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #312 - 07/16/17 at 18:45:22

Jeff of Arabica wrote on 07/16/17 at 18:37:24:
Wow!  Totally missed that.  Winner by several lengths!   Grin

We're all winners. We have such excellent gear.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #313 - 07/16/17 at 18:47:58

Most certainly!  Does this mean we all get free entry tickets to Decfest 2017?   Grin

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #314 - 07/16/17 at 18:59:35

Totally dropped the ball, on my part. Lon is King. Not only in gear......Lon would have like, 30 thousand + informative posts, when including the Original Forum. I have been a Forum member since 2001. Lon probably 1998 or 99?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #315 - 07/16/17 at 19:29:57

By 1998 . . . definitely. I had Zen Amp #27 for a spell by then. Wow. I had been enjoying my EICO HF81 for a while before that but the Decware gave me CLARITY and started a long journey.

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #316 - 07/16/17 at 20:37:38

Lon, you define a Decware "OG"  

I have had the pleasure of reading and learning from your posts since my inception as a Decware owner a short time ago.  Thank you sir!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #317 - 07/16/17 at 21:02:37

Ha! I'm so glad we managed to wrangle you into this herd of cats Jeff!

Listening to some Jobim from my Denon DVD-A1UDCI to my ZBIT into my Taboo Mk III to my Peatchtree Audio bookshelf speakers upstairs and enjoying the sound. Life is good.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #318 - 07/17/17 at 00:47:32

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #319 - 07/21/17 at 20:59:17

Okay, back on topic. Besides the rest of the story about the CAD Steve posted; I'm hoping he brings to market his Zen Switch Box with ALPS remote control volume. This ZSB-RCV, could send my ARC Line Stage to the AgoN.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #320 - 07/24/17 at 19:06:07

I know ALPS has remote volume pots, but I've not seen remote switch pots. Are you sure that's even an option?

Or were you thinking manual switch with remote volume?

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #321 - 07/25/17 at 14:10:53

Oh yeah LR, stay with silver contact manual switches for sure. Give us the remote control volume. I want just two inputs and the purity of one output.

Steve, from his, in this Thread/Reply #260:
"I just made a ZSB (Zen Switch Box) variation with a remote control Alps volume control that is working rather well...  "

.....and knowing Steve's "variation".....sure it's a pretty damn close to the holy grail of straight wire with gain. The original ZSB, when you read the details is touting a passive volume control, caps and stepped volume, if you want it........ . Now lets go stealth active/remote control volume....... .  .....and keep this gem, dragon slaying, arse kicking and affordable.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #322 - 07/25/17 at 15:52:01

If I can find time, I'll be working on my XLR to RCA adapter box this week. I was looking at the Alps remote for it, but since I'm so broke, I opted for no volume at all. If that winds up overdriving the input of my modded Zen amp, I'll add a volume later.

Edit to Add: Yes I know it's an attenuator and not a real volume - just clarifying for those pedantics.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #323 - 07/25/17 at 16:14:45

I doubt that the full output from the XLR of the DirectStream will overload the ZMA inputs. I've tried it with two Taboos, my Torii and a modded C amp with no distortion at all. I don't think the ZMA input section is that different.  . . .

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #324 - 07/25/17 at 17:03:50

I doubt LR your DIY ZBIT would need the expense of an ALPS via remote input gain attenuation and running it straight thru without any attenuation is probably the way to go as you are doing. As Lon eluded too and if you read his journey Thread with his ZBIT, he is running it pretty much wide open anyway (if I recall correctly and others).  

....okay, time to box up my DM's and arrange for FedEx to come get um' for Acetone!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #325 - 07/25/17 at 17:21:24

I was actually using it as the volume for all my sources via the DirectStream and was running it generally 60 to 85 percent or so, but I have run it without any attenuation with no problem, I just liked it best in that range when using the DirectStream and Torii fully turned up in my system which gave me the best sound.

Though I took it out of the system a few weeks ago and am using a CSP2+ right now and getting amazing sound--working with the preamp in my second system got me understanding its setup better and this CSP2+ has two stereo outputs which lets me run one to the Torii and one to the Taboo Mk IV, and I confess I'm getting the best sound yet this way. The ZBIT is now used with my Denon DVD-AU1CDI player feeding the Taboo Mk III in my second system

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #326 - 07/25/17 at 23:20:46

I will always love Steve's onboard ZBIT best, from my ZDSD direct to my ZMA.

But, my ARC Stereo Line Amplifier will be rotated in for its perspective that I'm enjoying.

I am sticking with these two scenarios for the foreseeable future.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #327 - 07/26/17 at 18:05:27

given the Zen Masters recent discoveries with transformers - It would not surprise me to see transformer/autoformer volume controls appear in future Decware products.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #328 - 07/27/17 at 04:19:15

I was thinking exactly. UFO me a Stereo Line Amplifier.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #329 - 07/27/17 at 22:51:15

The ZROCK2 is finished.  You can find some info on it in this thread:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1501188791/0#0

Also the ZROCK web page has been re-written to accommodate the changes.

While I couldn't be more pleased with the final sound, from an engineering standpoint it is the operation that I am most pleased with.  It took a long time to create the EQ control and get the tapers exactly right to work the way I wanted.  I had to custom make a ganged pot with both an audio taper and a linear taper and on top of that had to make it so when you turn one up the other turns down an equal amount. It was quite the Zen puzzle for about a month.

I recommend reading the owner's manual linked to in the other thread to see how this unique control actually works.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #330 - 07/28/17 at 20:11:29

Nice, very nice Steve. I read the owners manual and nice refinements. Oh, I'm so tempted.

Looking forward to your other developments in the pipeline when you are ready to divulge over the coming months. Have a great weekend (summer goes by to quick).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #331 - 07/28/17 at 20:45:55

.....and I must add to my post above, I'm kicking my ARC Line Stage down to my other Rig. I am so spoiled/ruined by your ZDSD run direct to ZMA.....only another CSP3 or what you might have new cooking/Line Stage, with remote volume will do for me. Oh, and I'm not opposed to what that CAD you teased us with is.....? ......rotate my ZMA with.

.......all in good time, I know.

PS-6C33C Mono's, have not been forgotten.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #332 - 08/01/17 at 03:08:05

The cad is a flat plate version of the 6C33C amplifier that I will be hopefully listening to over the Christmas holidays : )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #333 - 08/01/17 at 15:22:11

Yeah!!

Hopefully I can listen too once you get to that point?? Although, maybe not. LOL  

Happy Birthday by the way! Thanks for almost 20 years of making my life happier and more musical.

waveydavey
Verified Member

Reply #334 - 08/01/17 at 22:35:17

Something  I think would be a nice addition is to have an option for a remote control volume on the amps. Many like the convenience of being able to adjust the volume from their listening chair nowadays, instead of getting up all the time etc.

I like the purest easiest way to hook things up, and adding a pre or a Dac with a remote volume just adds more to the signal. It would be cool if a simple remote controlled volume could be an option to add to the amps, as they already have a volume pot to begin with.  Even if it takes a little bit of the sq, I'm sure it would be a welcome compromise for many. Dunno? What do people think?  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #335 - 08/02/17 at 00:56:00

Here's my two cents: I think remote volume control is better suited to a DAC or a preamp than a power amp.

I used to believe that the purest path was the best path. . . but I've actually discovered along my audio journey that if it's a quality and appropriate component it can add so much. For example . . . the Decware preamps--they offer so much with gain and flexibility. The top of the line includes the option of a remote control and that is a good place for a remote control if not in a DAC in my opinion.

I'm a person who doesn't use a remote much and it seems to me that Decware embodies the old-time spirit of manual volume control . . . that they are not incorporated into the amps is a good thing for me, and keeps the sound quality up and the pricing down.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #336 - 08/02/17 at 15:53:12

I "up" your Yeah to Oh Yeah, LR. Thanks Steve for the update.

At 15 watts of pure Steve/Decware Triode per channel......they will run my modified Adagio's.....no worries.

Now, to come up with the sheckles to afford it/them.....come April/May? I'm working hard on it.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #337 - 08/19/17 at 06:52:41

So I've been making great progress with the secret egg speakers...  progress on two fronts; 1) wrapping my head around them and 2) positioning them in the room.

The progress has been in my head not any changes to the physical speakers so far.  

These are so different from regular speakers.  With regular speakers you have toe-in which determines frequency response which in turn dictates sound stage width and sound stage depth. A tool every audiophile uses to great length to "dial it in for his or her own head". These speakers have no toe in, and no way to create such a thing.

The other thing they have is no comb filter effect from the floor.

What they do have is 360 degree horizontal dispersion across the entire frequency range and 270 degree vertical dispersion again across the entire frequency range.

What I have learned is that even with diffusion, these speakers like to be far away from the walls. Also the distance from the rear wall and side wall should be approximately the same. This is going to put them closer together than regular speakers which is counter intuitive to a wide sound stage, yet that is what happens.  

In my room placing them in the normal perfect location for our HR-1's they were good, but problematic with respect to the head-vise thing.

Too close to the side walls and they become a hard core head-vise speaker, the tightest I've ever heard. It's incredible when your head is in the vise, but move even a half inch and everything jumps. Properly positioned the opposite happens, literally.

So far with this new found knowledge resulting in the proper setup, it is the best imaging speaker I've heard in my room. The grand masters of the grand illusion. The longer you listen to them the more you respect them. That said, it's also the hardest speaker to place I've ever had since everything about it is counter intuitive.

I have noticed that they magnify the differences in everything meaning placement and how the recording is mixed which again is disarming until you realize what's going on and then it becomes almost the key feature that makes the speakers special I think.

Right now it's just past midnight and the speakers are being fed by the 6C33C monoblocks, the ZP3 and the silver fidelity research cartridge/arm combo and the sound is transcendiary.

In fact if you want something that will complexly destroy your brain, put on side one track one of "Caverna Magica" by Andreas Vollenweider.  The imaging is just sick with this combo right now!

WWW   IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #338 - 08/19/17 at 07:47:23

Must be incredible Steve.
I love Andreas Vollenweider, I was turned on to him in the early 80's and as a matter of fact I found a like new record album of Behind the gardens behind the wall under the tree at a thrift store for 50 cents a few months ago and it is one of the records I play whenever I make any system changes.
I have not heard that album ( Caverna Magica) I will have to look for it.

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #339 - 08/19/17 at 08:03:25

Boy my memory is bad. I looked up that album and I indeed used to have that and white winds many years ago. I unfortunately had my vinyl collection misplaced while moving in 1989 and they were among them. I am back up to around 900 albums now and a lot more to go it seems.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #340 - 09/01/17 at 06:51:30

After an additional layer of room treatment for this years fest, I find myself listening to the Egg speakers and am still taken aback at how much my original instincts in the begging were right.

It was a good choice to stop the radial wavefront where I did and transition to a point source. Reason being that a true full range radial such as this is going to dramatically magnify the boundary effects of the listening space.  

Placement is absolutely critical and should be only even considered in rooms that are both symmetrical and without coincident dimensions. This is almost the opposite of our ERRx and all of our radial speakers which can be placed almost anywhere in almost any space and pull off a well focused sound stage with unusual depth and width.

These eggs are hard core. Like tuning a carburetor for the race track on a given day... sun on the track,  temperature, humidity... if you get it right it's memorable.

The distances between the side walls and the rear walls are critical to the point where I use a tape measure and adjust it to within 1/4 inch. This done, and placed about 4 feet from the side walls and 6 feet from the front wall, they are creating an unbelievably holographic soundstage. I am using a SE84UFO2 to drive them, and turned up as loud as it will go with plenty of headroom left, I find it no different than the ZMA. The bass is just as big and just as dense. It feels like a real accomplishment for 2 watts.

I would love to glue these to the floor and  make the entire fest about listening to them only. There would be many advantages in doing so, and many disadvantages as the boundless variety seems so be some of the attraction of the fest.  Still, I would love to spend a month in prep getting a single system dialed in perfectly and well seasoned so that for three days people could trip on how good it can actually get.

So I guess the take away is that if a speaker puts my mind in this direction it must be special, and it is, however it would only be able to be sold to people who are willing to go that extra distance to get the room and speaker placement right, and have the right room to begin with because a non-symmetrical room is not going to work, it's just a fact of life you have to live with and accept.

It is nonetheless a thrill to hear the 2 watt Zen amp on such a precise and holographic speaker finally set up correctly.  The combo while not loud, is very BIG and very DEEP and very WIDE and very FOCUSED and very TIGHT and very DENSE and very LIQUID and very RIGHTEOUS.  

Strong comments I know but this what you get from extended weeks of listening and you digest all of your recordings from such a capable perspective.  Over and over I have had to continually remind myself that I'm not listening to the ZMA, I'm listening to the 2 watt Zen Triode.  

I really love my job.  

WWW   IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #341 - 09/01/17 at 14:53:39

Steve,
I had to chime in regarding your comments about the SE84UFO2.  Mine is driving a pair of  S3HOXRS which have 150 hours on them and still burning in.  I've posted an ongoing review of the combination.

I believe that to some degree I am experiencing what you have described with the Egg speakers and I attribute a lot of what I'm experiencing to the SE84UFO2.  How close or far apart the two systems are is not the point.  Rather the the experience I've had often defies logic, what I thought I knew and I find that I have to force myself to believe not just my ears but all my senses.

I read a lot about the ZMA and the other Decware amplifiers and for good reason.  In fact those comments gave me confidence to buy Decware components.  I'm sure that all the Decware amps have their place, but I do feel that they may lead some to think that it is necessary to "go the distance" to get the Decware experience.

I'd like to say that give the SE84UFO2 (any 2W Zen Amp) the right accompanying components and you will get far more than you expect and likely more than one will ever feel that they need.  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #342 - 09/01/17 at 16:13:19

Quote:
Placement is absolutely critical and should be only even considered in rooms that are both symmetrical and without coincident dimensions. This is almost the opposite of our ERRx and all of our radial speakers which can be placed almost anywhere in almost any space and pull off a well focused sound stage with unusual depth and width.

Steve, in my mind this makes sense with what I felt and heard when I listened to these speakers earlier this month. Since I'm so attuned to spatial cues, they just sounded disjointed to me. I'm betting now that you've got them dialed in, I'm going to hear what you hear.  Now I'm really excited to come to Decfest this year! I still feel bad that I didn't hear what you heard in these speakers, but I'm glad I said something because it sounds like you figured it out!

I'm super excited about Decfest - I'll probably be down Friday instead of Saturday to get some quality time with the setup. Smiley

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #343 - 09/01/17 at 16:40:00

Cool. Look forward to the impressions. I went from 13 pairs of Speaker's to just 2 pair now. Still, looking for the pair that is worthy of rotating with my Adagio's in my Listening Room. These could be it.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #344 - 09/01/17 at 17:06:37

Keeping in mind:
"extra distance to get the room and speaker placement right, and have the right room to begin with because a non-symmetrical room is not going to work...."

....and the other placement parameter's mentioned......

...my Room would work and improving my acoustic treatments for the better....would be welcomed too.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #345 - 09/01/17 at 20:42:14

I'm always happy to design some diffusers for you if you have someone that can build them.

Or follow the decware design for a good, small, lightweight diffuser that will definitely add air and sharpen your imaging.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #346 - 09/01/17 at 22:35:22

Yes, the Decware designs. I've had Treatment for 21 years now. Yes, since 1996, when my father-in-law sheet rocked me a room in our first house basement. My Treatments are done right, just ain't that pretty. Someday, some Decware's. Function and form.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #347 - 09/04/17 at 05:25:53

More design notes about the creative process behind the eggs...

The EGGS Hatched today and I didn't even know they were alive!  

Tonight I was guided to act on repetitive visions of what I thought would be a bandaid on a promising but imperfect design... my "egg" speakers... While more than enticed by them I've had a nagging feeling something was missing, or clearly that they weren't finished.

In fact the feeling from the onset made me think something else was needed and that it was going to be A) visual and B) functional as a wave guide. I pictured dozens of trick compliments to the simple stick holding the egg.

So I now know that if I wouldn't have tried to figure it out with my mind (ego) I would have simply seen the done speaker in the future. We are our own worst enemies in this regard. Anyway, despite my distorted visions of the end speaker... the truth became more and more aggressive as if getting exasperated by my blindness.

So tonight I finally tuned into the right channel and the answer, albeit bizarre, was revealed. I went for it because it has never been wrong in 25 years and Decware is proof of it's wisdom.

Turns out the joke's been on me. The missing component wasn't a bandaid to fix an imperfect design... because the design turns out to have been imperfect due to the missing component.

This was the completion of the design, and now having implemented it I'm just trying to take it all in.  

I'm tempted at this point having heard it, to say "holy shit"...

So it turns out I have been stubbornly working with an unfinished design for months now. All these little signs... all these little urges.  Then things started appearing that I would need to finish the design, things I thought I had purchased for other projects...  you see, that is how it works.

The creative process is one of the most humbling experiences a man can have because he has to go outside himself to something so much larger... something with all knowledge - including whether or not to waste time giving it to you.

(So in the final hours as is the tradition, the Audio Gods, pleased that when teased he didn't fold, released the final piece of the puzzle and left him speechless and tickled shitless.)

I now believe I am experiencing the finished design for the first time.

So to take it all in, we have a speaker that could take a ZMA turned all the way up on disco music without distortion and completely "wreck the room", but yet is efficient enough to enjoy indefinitely with something as simple as the SE84UFO 2 watt amplifier.

The 2 watt thing is a big one on my list of accomplishments for any loudspeaker design.

We have a single-driver, crossover-less full-range speaker with no tweeters, no bass augmentation and perfect frequency balance even with 2 watts no one who can hear would even consider adding a subwoofer.  

And all this in a full range omni. Nothing else like it (as is the tradition from inspired designs) and frankly and literally a dream come true. I would have never thought it was possible to accomplish anything like this in a true radial point source.  

When I added the final component to the speakers (which I'll point out later after photos of the finished speakers surface in this thread), it only took 3 hours to initiate a patent application and it's the first time I've ever done that... but I've heard most of the Omni's at the audio shows, and am well aware of what has been done.

These speakers have a completely haunting sound.

for 30 years... since my very first serious speaker design (HDT MK2) I have from an imaging standpoint always been frustrated that some of my favorite speakers sound (image) better when the listener is standing up (short people under 6 foot) vs. sitting down.  The EGGS were one of those, and I was so hoping they would be the one to break that curse.  

The curse has been broken.

Retrovision is a form of clarity.  I now see looking back on the sequence of events that the Audio Gods were waiting for me to throw them a bone. Wanting a better sounding speaker was the wrong motivation therefor no answer was delivered. Making the room sound better was the correct approach. Once I did this of my own accord without contract, it has taken less than 72 hours for the answer to arrive.  I can see it now... "Why should we bother with something this good if he's going to handicap it in an unfinished room. Clearly he doesn't get it.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #348 - 09/04/17 at 13:33:02

Congratulations Steve.  Your many equipment design journeys, while challenging, are truly inspiring.  I for one appreciate the end result, truly great sound from all your creations.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #349 - 09/04/17 at 17:01:05

All- Truly a great read!! Sitting behind the lines, listening to our ZP3/Rachael, I have to say that if Steve has researched the 6C33C and played with it for years, I know the amp will be a major piece of work. I look forward to reading about the birth of this new baby. Thank you all for a great forum and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
Send Topic Print