Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:15:14 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC (Read 5834 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC
08/16/14 at 20:47:41

FedEx came early!

Hey, this DAC has no business sounding this good (Redbook), right out of the box with the wall wart that came with it......($1395. delivered) . I look forward to putting 100 hours + on it.

Obviously, LR & Palomino have commented on it too...in the PS Audio thread. Palomino is using the upgraded PSU this weekend. I figured with my initial impressions too...it deserves its own thread... .  

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC
Reply #1 - 08/17/14 at 23:50:46

I think Palomino has the Hugo (which is their portable DAC) and also their latest technology.  Is your Chordette the EX version?  If so, this may be very similar to the Hugo, but I believe that the Hugo (even though not as expensive and in a so-so chassis) is considered their best DAC.

I believe Chord will be making a new DAC based on Hugo FPGA coding/tech except in a better chassis, better analog section, better input terminals and upgraded coding.  This is the one that I'm holding out for.  

There is actually two DACs on my radar the new Chord and Tranquility is also coming out with a new one that can do DSD and hi-res files.

Keep us posted on your experiences, I'm interested to know the comparisons of your beloved AA stuff for sure!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/18/14 at 14:01:56

I'll post my impressions vs the Direct Stream on the PS Audio thread, but I'll just say here that the Chord QueteHD (and the EX) benefits greatly from a linear Power Supply.  It's not subtle.  MUCH tighter bass and huge soundstage are the first comments I would have.

I did not invest much in the LPSU given I have so little (relatively speaking) invested in the DAC.  I just bought a cheap $150 Chi-fi unit I had some experience with in a 5V version.  My son burned it in over the weekend while I was gone.  I could tell on the first song I put on that it was a significant improvement.

I'll likely buy a USB to SPDIF converter to see what that does for it after I have a baseline with the LPSU.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/18/14 at 15:37:52

Beowulf,

I intend to check out the Hugo once the store that I bought the QuteHD from gets another one in.  Their first one got damaged in transit.

It is supposed to top the QuteHD/EX so I'd like to hear it.  Its more than $1K more than what I paid for the Qute, so it would really need to be special before I traded for it (store gives you your original price on trades).

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4 - 08/18/14 at 18:04:31

http://www.audiostream.com/content/chord-electronics-chordette-qutehd-dsd-dac

I am surprised you need the upgraded power supply. With my cables an Speakers...not needed. I agree with Mike here above,...and not just because he is a Minnesota resident brethren  ;D.

This QuteHD DAC, gets gate array right! With the extra volt of output needed... . Funny, how that works?  

Mike L, has a nice equipment an cable line up in his main room too.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 08/18/14 at 18:09:38

Quote:
This QuteHD DAC, gets gate array right! With the extra volt of output needed... . Funny, how that works?  

I'm still grumbling about that with the DS. The QuteHD had the push the ZMA likes, and on the RCA side to boot!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/18/14 at 18:31:13

I saw that review and a lot of others before I bought the QuteHD.  Plus I read this one that mentioned the use of a LPSU:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/561-chord-electronics-qutehd-review/

And then I started doing web research on using an upgraded power supply and found it's quite common to upgrade the power supply on the QuteHD.  I contacted ted_b (the computer audiophile reviewer) and he suggested strongly that I do it.

For $150 and a couple week's wait, I have found it to be a no-brainer, a slam dunk, a (insert audio or other cliché here).

I'm also thinking about trying the Matrix USB to SPDIF converter he talks about in the article.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/19/14 at 01:01:17

@ Palomino ~ can you give us a brand name or link to the LPSU?  THanks.

Also iFi makes a really good USB/SPDIF converter.  I use a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 (I'm not sure if this is still in production) and preferred it to the USB input on my DAC, but my Rega DAC USB implementation can't go over 24/96 so my main purpose was just to have to the headroom for hi-res files, but it turned out that the SPDIF sounded quite a bit better to me.  My DAC does not have the latest USB asynchronous data transfer mode so in my case SPDIF made a huge difference, however I'm thinking in newer DAC its not going to be as drastic.

Here is a review from a guy who's had both come through his listening environment and gives a comparison of the QuteEX vs. Hugo.  The Hugo seems to have a little more finesse in most categories and I would say that the upcoming DAC is going to rock.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/19/14 at 01:35:46

Tera Dak.  Probably not as good as the $500 units but I just didn't want to spend that kind of money.  Definite lift for sure for $150 (listening now).  I bought a 5v version for my digital transport a few years ago and it worked pretty well so I thought I would give them another try.

I have been looking at USB to spdif units under $250.  The current technology seems to be the XMOS chip.  If seen that chip in units as low as $130.  The matrix seems to have two crystals.  As far as I know that is the only difference.  It also seems to work pretty seemlessly with the Mac.  You can spend a lot more but again, I got this DAC relatively cheap so I don't want to spend more on upgrades than the DAC itself.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/19/14 at 01:40:16

Also I have not read a review yet that felt the qute measured up to the Hugo.  However, I have yet to read a comparison where the psu and USB/spdif were used on the qute.  Not saying it will but I'd like to hear from someone who has.  Ted_b has and has also spent time with the direct stream so I am waiting on the comparisons.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 08/19/14 at 18:59:12

Yes LR, it is nice to have that extra volt as you have witnessed. I thought I would need to turn the voltage down on my CSP3? However, it is perfect right where it is at with the QuteHD.

I hear you on the PSU Palomino. I feel I don't need it with the articulate gate array bass I'm getting with my Rig. But, don't knock it...till I try it.  I will get one.

Anyway, 37 hours in on the QuteHD. It is doing what my DS did without the reticent laid back sound...(even with the Firmware upgrade)...witnessed by Art Dudley an yours truly. The DS was to overly smooth for me too. The QuteHD puts the color back in with better detail an with the attributes gate array does!

The QuteHD begs the question? How much better is the Chord Hugo or even their best DAC for this matter? Especially, for my tastes, having owned the PS Audio DS DAC... . Splitting hairs...law of diminishing returns an all that... .

The QuteHD is clearly a canabalizer! If I may create and coin a word here!  Kudos to Chord Engineer's!

Having said all this... . I also agree with Art, the DS is fairly priced because (my words) you are paying for a preamp with it an firmware updates.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/19/14 at 19:47:55

Nice posts guys, I'm really enjoying this thread so far and the Chord sounds like a great piece of kit for the money.

@ Stone, I think you would be right in your assessment of splitting hairs between the Qute and Hugo.  

However I do think the new DAC will be a nice step in improvement upon the Qute/Hugo FPGA coding and fix the other issues related to Hugo's chassis, etc.  I'm thinking it's going to be a Hugo on steroids.  I hope they can keep the costs reasonable. Cool

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 08/19/14 at 20:21:49

I'd send you the power supply to play with but I am enjoying it too much.  I got up this morning again to listen and I had to ask myself, how much better than this do I realy need?

I still hope to give the Hugo a listen though.  Just for the fun of it.

I am going to buy a USB to SPDIF converter for the Qute to see what that does for it.  Running off the mini is just too convenient.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/21/14 at 14:26:36

Well, last night I think I finally heard what the reviewers have been talking about.  It was pretty impressive.  I've said since day one that this is a good DAC.  I think last night I heard a great DAC.

The combo was the Chord with a LPSU fed via SPDIF from my iPod digital transport.  The iPod digital transport might not sound that impressive, but I had my Onkyo ND-S1 modified a few years ago to make it low(er) noise and added a LPSU.  At the time, the guy who did the mods swore that it rivaled $2K CD transports.  I don't think I had a system (or at least a DAC) to show what it could do before now, but I think I believe him.

Anyway, what I heard was truly impressive.  I did A/B comparisons to the Mac mini using USB output, but it wasn't that close.  Especially my first try which was using what I think was a lower priority USB port on the mini.  It sounded absolutely muddy compared to the transport via SPDIF.  I read on line about some mini-tweaks and one of them was to switch USB ports.  I did and this brought it closer to the transport but was noticeably thinner.

I'll spare you a lot of the superlatives, but it was more musical in every way.  Bass hits hard.  So hard in fact that I have to chase down a couple of new vibrations in my room that weren't there before.

My little Rachael still does not have the punch of the ZMA, but it's much closer than it was.

I am going to experiment with a USB to SPDIF converter because the transport will only do redbook and is generally more of a hassle to use (no volume control, no iphone remote, etc.)

So Stone, I think you have been running off a CDP via SPDIF all along, which may explain partially why you didn't feel the need for a LPSU.  I think you will still get a lift, but maybe not as much as I experienced.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #14 - 08/21/14 at 16:47:01

It just goes to show how much more USB still needs to be perfected. However, it is a noble pursuit for convenience/access of a music library. I will continue to wait an be a late adopter.

I think I'm still going to try the LPSU. But, this FPGA DAC, as you know with your Transport to SPDIF input,...it is hitting it with no thinness.

Well, it should not make further improvements with the QuteHD....? However, I am going to put my AA DTI-Pro 32 in the chain. I just need to find my two other COAX into BNC connectors for my 2nd Illuminati D-60 RCA that is needed in the chain (.5 meter). In a box somewhere.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 08/21/14 at 17:07:04

Hearing the difference between the SPDIF and USB was enlightening.  Plus seeing how hugely different the USB ports sounded has left me with a big question mark on the mini as a source.  I will continue to pursue it though for the convenience, but I doubt I will put too much money in it.

But it is fun to experiment when every once in a while, you hit the jackpot.

Let me know on the cable differences.  My better (hopefully) coax is on the system in Michigan so right now I am just running with a basic Blue Jeans cable coax with a BNC adapter.

P.S. the reviews say they implemented the USB much better on the QuteEX and the Hugo.  The local hi-fi store asked me if I wanted to break in their Hugo for them.  They are not close, but I might take them up on it.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #16 - 08/21/14 at 19:16:59

I would take them up on the Hugo!

What a great DAC as you mentioned Palomino! For me, it is like this: The Chord Engineers came to my Listening Room an said what do you like most about your DTI-Pro 32 with i2s into your 3.0 AA DAC?  Furthermore, what did you like about the PS Audio DS DAC. Will come back to you with an amalgamation of the best of both....an take a Listen. I Listened...and yeah....it is wonderful!

Then one of the Chord Engineers, on the way out of my Listening Room said: "Also remember...we were able to make this DAC at this price point less a preamp (2k) and less firmware updates/not needed on the QuteHD (1.5k)...and brought the price even further down from $2500 to $1800 with our economies of scale". He further added: "We lowered it even further to the price you purchased it for Larry at $1395 delivered-with the advent of our EX...". As the Engineer closed my Listening Room door....he said: "You're welcome"!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #17 - 08/21/14 at 19:24:38

I resisted touching the voltage output on my CSP3. The QuteHD has good tonal balance with the 3 volts output driving into the CSP3. Now, with over 60 hours on the QuteHD, 700 on my ZMA an 400+ on my CSP3 with Jupiter Caps....an Kimber Select 3035 has close to 1000 hours on them... .  Whoooooooa, I just dialed in an even better Tonal Balance (by lowering the CSP3 voltage) with more accurate weight an depth too!  

The CSP3 is without words for me right now.....with the QuteHD and ZMA.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/21/14 at 19:25:18

Well, I have to give Raven credit for three things:

1. Letting me listen to his DS DAC which lead to understand what is possible with a good DAC

2. Recommending the Chord based on the reviews he'd read.

3. Encouraging me to ask for an in-home demo of the Chord from the dealer.

I would not have this DAC without his assistance in these three areas.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #19 - 08/21/14 at 19:36:47

I thank you Palomino for pushing me to get the QuteHD, after reading about it for a year. I am glad I had the PS Audio DS DAC in first though.

I'm also going to take Credit for turning LR on to the payment plan purchase of the DS through Music Direct. He had to pay wonke' tax an will pay interest on it....but he got/has one.  :) Music Direct is a Class Act too. I called personally to make the return of my DS and had a long talk with my Salesman about it. Without requesting, I was not charged the freight with the return of the DS. If they carry something I want-I go to them first.  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 08/28/14 at 14:13:27

Ok, here's an update.  I went ahead and purchased the Matrix USB converter mentioned in the audiophile chord QuteHD review ($250).  It was cheap for what converter's go for these days, but I just didn't want to over invest given the price of the DAC.  

I dealt with Aurthur at Matrix USA who appears to be a good guy.  Answered my e-mails quickly and seemed straightforward and honest.  He drop ships from China, but I got the unit in 4 days via DHL.

Seems to be really well built for such a small puck (like Apple TV size),   No external power brick. It runs off USB power.  Its XMOS based with two clocks for the different frequencies.  It is plug and play on the Mac mini.  I just had to point to it as the output device within Audirvana and I was playing music.

I was overtired last night, but it seems to at a minimum be a lateral move from my transport and is probably better.  I will run it in for a while and see what I think.

Thus far, I think it removes some of the remaining upper mid glare on certain songs.  It seems to be a smoother delivery.  Also, I do hear some details in certain songs that were harder to make out with the transport.  I am still trying to figure out if the bass is looser.  I need to give it some more time and then do some A/B listening to find out.

Overall, what I can say is that I think I have regained the Mac Mini as the ultra convenient source it is without having to sacrifice SQ.  I also don't currently feel the need to jump on the Mac Mini modification merry go round.  I was thinking I needed to before the Matrix.  Most important, it still captures the emotional connection we have been talking about in the other thread.  

Oh, and the Chord, the linear power supply and Matrix all still fit in a shoe box with room to spare.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 08/28/14 at 14:17:07

Oh, and one other thought.  This DAC has me wanting to explore a 2W Zen as a amp to see if I can get more of an emotional connection.  I heard the Zen near field at the last Decfest and can't get that speed and clarity out of my head.  Yes, I want a ZMA for the muscle, but I think the other end of spectrum warrents exploration.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #22 - 08/28/14 at 16:08:16

My 16 year old Zen Amp is available for loan if you want to try it out. It's eventually going to go to my garage system since my 100 watt studio amp blew a channel, but it's just collecting dust since the ZMA showed up.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 08/28/14 at 19:39:42

Thank you for your kind offer.  I just may take you up on it once I get settled in with this new setup.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #24 - 08/28/14 at 23:18:53

Post 21 Palo...man!

Those 4 sentences say it all. So, I know you know.  ;)

I can't part with any of my Decware Amps.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 09/05/14 at 23:27:57

I'm going to borrow Raven's Zen to see if I can achieve the magic I heard at Zenfest.  

The Matrix usb converter is going to stay in the system.  I did a lot of A/B with the transport and while they are pretty close in detail and bass, the Matrix kills the transport in terms of soundstage.

I am pretty happy with my setup right now.  Must. Stop. Spending.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #26 - 09/06/14 at 00:30:45

I'm home tonight if you want to swing by to pick the little Zen up. It's got the tubes Steve put in it, and it's good to go.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 09/06/14 at 12:12:32

I just saw this.  Couldn't get out anyway. I was in charge while my wife went shopping. I'll end you a text today.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 09/07/14 at 01:36:41

Raven dropped off the zen. I can easily say this.  It's not the amp to do it all, but what it does, it does exquisitly.  Wonderful engagment and micro details.

I will own one of these one day.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #29 - 09/07/14 at 05:30:16

I keep telling you, mine is available, and for you, only $1000!  ;D

I'm glad you like it. One seems to pop up here in the forums about quarterly - just none exactly like mine.  :)

Thanks for the listening time in your room. You've got it so close to perfection with all that room treatment. We just need to get you some diffusers!

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 09/07/14 at 12:44:57

Just help me figure out the dimensions and I will start cutting.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 09/08/14 at 18:06:30

One more comment.  I was of the opinion that the Zen was just a less powerful Rachael.  It is not.  It's a completely different amp.  At least Raven's is.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #32 - 09/08/14 at 19:11:07

Well, mine is special.  :)

I drew up a QRD 13 diffuser for you. I'm sending it in E-mail shortly.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #33 - 09/08/14 at 19:11:33

Palomino wrote on 09/08/14 at 18:06:30:
One more comment.  I was of the opinion that the Zen was just a less powerful Rachael.  It is not.  It's a completely different amp.  At least Raven's is.

Right. At the least the different power tube types make a significant difference.

The little amps changed over the years too. I've had three: the 27th that Steve made, which I then had upgraded to Rev. A, the first generation of the Select, and I now have a Rev. C (modded by Eddie Vaughn). They were/are all great, and all significantly different, but I wouldn't keep any of them int he place of one of my Toriis, any one of them.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 09/08/14 at 19:29:55

I'm not sure I would trade.  I will certainly compliment the growing Decware stable.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #35 - 09/08/14 at 19:40:33

That's definitely cool. I'm a one amp in one system guy though, maximize around one and sit back and groove.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 09/08/14 at 19:55:14

I am going to try some tube rolling in my Rachael to see if I can get some of the detail I like in the Zen.

I'm also going to try to listen to the latest Zen at the fest this year.

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 09/08/14 at 20:12:54

Interesting to hear you say that the Zen is a completely different amp than the Rachel.  I've got a Zen (latest version) and a latest version Mini Torii and both of those amps are very different too.  I know I've read at times that all of Steve's amps have a certain sonic signature, but what you seem to be experiencing and what I hear sounds like maybe that isn't necessarily true.

I'd be very interested in hearing how the Zen compares to the Rachel.  I've been toying with the idea of picking up a EL34 SET design sometime in the future and have been wondering how it would sound compared to my Zen or Mini Torii.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 09/08/14 at 20:54:55

OK, maybe completely different was strong wording.  I do feel there are distinct differences through.

There are details I hear both in the high end and bass that I simply do not hear with Rachael.  What's more is those details are more engaging.  

That does leave me wondering what different tubes in the Rachael can do to come closer to this particular Zen sound (at least the way Raven has it tubed now).

I have my Rachael using the same tubes I used with my Schitt and later Beresford DACs, which are far inferior to the Chord.  I needed to explore new tubes anyway, but now I have something to target.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #39 - 09/08/14 at 21:14:28

I believe there's a fundamental difference. . . in large part because of the power tubes. The power tube types on the Rachel will not give you that same type of speed and presentation. Personally, for my purposes the Integrated worked better as its slightly forgiving and warm nature gave me better sound from non-spectacular recordings, of which I have thousands.

I'd recommend experimenting with 6922/6DJ8/7DJ8 types, as I found these tightened up the sound compared to other input tube types. I would also recommend trying. . . other rectifier types, I think you can used 5Y3 types in this amp and that might take you in a direction you'd like.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 09/08/14 at 21:17:23

Thanks Lon.  I have some cryo'd gold lion 6922s I can try.  I also have some 6dj8s.

Any particular 5y3 rectifier you can recommend I try?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #41 - 09/08/14 at 21:20:30

Hmmm. . . I love RCA and Arcturus, but mainly because those are a bit warmer.  Sovtek may be a good one to try, or ER or Tung-Sol. The new reissue Tung-Sol EL34s may be  soemthing to try as well.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 09/08/14 at 21:22:21

No 5y3, but I have a Tung Sol 5u4g that I thought was too detailed before that I can try.  Running RCA 5u4g right now.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #43 - 09/08/14 at 21:31:22

Give it a shot. One never knows, do one? Seems you have a few things to try, and the "sound" in your ear now to compare to.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 09/08/14 at 21:33:06

Yeah, most of my tuning was on that Schitt dac which was on the harsh side.  I was trying to mellow the sound a bit.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #45 - 09/08/14 at 22:25:41

I have a couple stashes of tubes as well (a few dozen various tubes). If I can find which storage box I have them in. I also have a solid state plug you can put in place of your rectifier tube to see what that does for you. It might help speed up the amp bit, but it also stiffens it a bit. I'd be happy to loan you some to help on your quest.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 09/08/14 at 22:30:43

Ha!  

Just when I thought I had my tubes set...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #47 - 09/08/14 at 23:47:47

Ha! That's how it goes. We're never "done" and we never will be. At least it's fun.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 09/12/14 at 12:03:35

Well, I have gone through all my tubes - power, rectifier and input and I am back to my original compliment, which is pretty much what the amp came with.  I just upgraded a little with a NOS RCA 5u4g and cryo'd JJ EL34s.  It's what sounds the best to me in the Rachael.

I think the Rachael has a sound and the Zen has a sound and that's that.  I just will have to buy a Zen some day.  I think I will wait for a used CKC and seek out the best tubes for it.  In the mean time, I'll have to start paying Raven rent.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #49 - 09/12/14 at 12:17:24

Yes, it makes sense that one circuit is not going to sound the same as another, though there is a "family" sound they all share.

For me and my system I want one amp and the Torii Mk III IS that amp, I've had others (including an integrated and three of the little Zens) and the Torii has what the others don't for my system. We're all different, I totally can understand wanting both! You should be able to get one in time and I know you'll enjoy it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print