Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 08:20:32 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC (Read 6413 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC
Reply #50 - 09/12/14 at 18:11:33

Hi Pal, I will sell you my CKC for $725...shipped an insured by me/on my end. Shipped an insured to you will run me $56 to 68 bucks. I purchased an received it new in November of 2012.

The reason I'm willing to sell it is because I love my original SE84CS seasoned since May of 2001. I am a junkie for the original SV83 Svetlana that Steve voiced the CS with! The CKC should go to a good home/fully appreciated an swapped in an out with your Rachel. Obviously, it is a fine Amp!

My SE84CS, CSP3 an ZMA...(an I will purchase Steve's new SET next year) will only be sold after my death.

Let me know... . We can go through Paypal, like Eric an I just did. I will cover the Pp fee. No hurry, think about it. I won't put it on Ebay until the end of October....if you want it between now an then.

How about that Chord QuteHD! It edges my AA front end an is at the heels of the DS... . Making it quite incredible... .

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 09/12/14 at 18:57:31

Thanks Stone.  I may take you up on it.  Just not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger.

I like the idea of seasoned as well.  Eric's has a bit of a audible swish going on, but otherwise sounds really good.  I think he's going to have Steve give it a look.  He's got to pay for those Gallo's so he may be ready to deal!

I'm getting great sound out of the chord.  Now I am looking upstream to try to get the most out of the Mac mini.   It's very convenient but a bit of a crap shoot getting good sound out of it.  I can't complain though.  I jus think there is more there if I mess with it.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #52 - 09/12/14 at 19:08:10

No worries Pal. I won't put it on Ebay until November 3rd. Sell, then settle in for the long Winter with my Decware an Summit Winter Ale.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #53 - 09/12/14 at 19:14:51

Quote:
I like the idea of seasoned as well.  Eric's has a bit of a audible swish going on, but otherwise sounds really good.  I think he's going to have Steve give it a look.

Damnit, I totally forgot about that! Yeah, I want to take it in to Steve to figure out what's going on. If you can give it up this weekend, I can drop off a laptop setup with Server 2012 and Audiophile Optimizer (and directions), and pick up the little Zen so I can drop it off with Steve. I've not used it at all since getting the ZMA, so I'm wondering whats causing that noise.

Stone, PM coming your way about tubes!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 09/30/14 at 17:54:07

Stone, did you ever land a linear power supply?  If so, did you get a lift from it?

I will probably bring my Chord to Decfest.  I want to test it nearfield with a Zen and some Traps.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #55 - 10/01/14 at 16:46:24

No Palomino, I have not.

...Could you give me the info on that (again). Thanks.

Do bring your Chord to Decfest. With the high output (3 volts). It runs my two little Zens well. However, I prefer it (because of its fixed setting volt output), to run through my CSP3 with its adjustable voltage output.

(Footnote): My Audio Alchemy gear has adjustable voltage output too. This option, has always been very nice to have. Even when, truncating a bit or two down from 20 bit dither...when using the Remote w/volume.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 10/01/14 at 16:54:25

Here is the one I bought.  $155 delivered.  I had good luck with another 5v Tera Dac LPSU plus I had read good things about R core transformers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-DC-30W-TOUCH-DC12V-1A-precision-linear-regulated...

I was running it with one of my DIY power cords.  Last weekend I experimented with a better quality Synergistics cord and felt there was an improvement in definition so that's what I am running with now.

With the LPSU and the Matrix USB/SPDIF converter I have now spent $1600, but I still feel its a great value.  I am looking to experiment with a good SPDIF and USB cord now.  Raven loaned me one of his Pangea USB's that seems fine but I am wondering if upgrading will help.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #57 - 12/04/14 at 18:37:18

Three .5 months in with this DAC. If you're in the market for one, I can't see where you could go wrong. For $1395.00, it is the steal of 2014 IMO.
This DAC deserves the attention and my time to post.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/86895/Chord_Electronics_Limited-Chordette_Qute...

http://www.audiostream.com/content/chord-electronics-chordette-qutehd-dsd-dac

"Where the Chord is truly exceptional is with CD-quality music. Yes, good old old-fashioned 16/44.1. The QuteHD has a way of pulling out a full, dimensional sound from 16/44.1 music files that is quite astonishing. "Delicate" is a word that kept coming to mind while the Chord delivered some of the most convincingly natural sounding CD-quality sound I've yet heard. It nearly sounds as if Chord's algorithm has delved into the bits, cleaned them up (especially around the edges), and added a sense of space around them, before letting them loose into your room more fully formed.

This aspect of the QuteHD was something that did not jump or scream out, rather it impressed me more the more I listened. Some of my favorite CD rips were given a new sonic lease on life. And I have to wonder if the QuteHD's exceptional way with CD-quality music made playing back higher resolution files a bit less dramatic. And while this is a thorny thing to wrap ones head around, I'd say that's the case. In other words the Chordette QuteHD (DSD) DAC makes CD-quality music sound more like HD music (decidedly not the other way around). And that's really nice".

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 12/04/14 at 18:57:07

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I am very happy with mine as well.  It has stopped the itch to find a better DAC.

Did you ever go the route of a linear power supply?  If not, I think there is more for this unit to give.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #59 - 12/04/14 at 19:17:21

No I have not Pal. For $155, I'm doing it. Thanks again for posting that.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #60 - 12/04/14 at 19:39:21

Those descriptions, especially of the raising of CD and questioning High-Def sounds exactly like my experience with the DirectStream. If a $1395 DAC can do that, color me very impressed! That's certainly much more affordable then the DS, that's for sure!

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 12/04/14 at 19:48:41

+1 on LR's comment

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 01/06/15 at 22:33:23

CES 2015: Chord Electronics unveils desktop Hugo TT DAC/headphone amp.

Read more here: http://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2015-chord-electronics-unveils-desktop-hugo-tt-...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #63 - 01/07/15 at 03:09:31

Hmmmm, pretty.

Too bad I really don't need anything else, but to play with more speakers and sound treatment.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 01/07/15 at 14:16:11

If you look down below that article on the desktop Hugo, you see that they are also releasing the 2 Qute, which is basically the Hugo in the Chord Qute chasis.  At $1500, that might be well worth a listen.  The Hugo is supposed to be a pretty big step above the Qute.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #65 - 01/07/15 at 14:56:33

What Chord is offering for this little of money, is not hyperbole. My QuteHD, ran into my CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps, competes with anything period. I probably will end up with another (the 2 Qute).

Right now though, I'm saving my sheckuls' for Decware. Not that I will ever replace my ZMA/I won't. But, more Decware is always a good thing to me. Nice to see TONE knows what us ZMA owner's already knew.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #66 - 01/07/15 at 15:00:33

I still have to pester Steve and see what the new amp is all about (speaking of Decware). I was too busy trudging through the snow to get home to try and swing by and see him this week.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 01/07/15 at 15:16:59

I am already trying to figure out what all I will sell to get the 2Qute.  I will use the existing QuteHD in my cottage system.

All the accolades for the ZMA are well deserved.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #68 - 01/07/15 at 17:29:49

Yeah, January bites LR. 25 to 35 below wind chill here today. No hurry, on what Steve is up to. All in good time. All in good time..... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 01/07/15 at 17:52:37

Stone, try that power supply (nudge, nudge).

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 01/07/15 at 22:25:45

Wow, I just did the pound to dollar conversion for the Hugo TT and it's roughly $4529 USD!!!  It makes me think ~ how much better that thing could be over the original Hugo when it saying it offers better connectivity, LED display, USB-B and remote.  None of those features are important to me ... I wonder what the perceived improved performance is.  

You can get a used PS Audio DS for way less than that.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #71 - 01/07/15 at 22:39:59

Wow, that is pricey. I too would go for a used DS over that.

Although it does allow DSD128 over Coax which is nice. But USB is where it's at IMHO.

All things being equal - I'd have to thunderdome the DS vs the new Chord and see which sounds better.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 01/07/15 at 23:23:02

I did that same conversion and said wow.  The. I saw that you could get Hugo quality in the 2qute at $1500 and felt better.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print