Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 02:33:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE34i.4 with 91.7dB single driver Super Pensils (Read 4129 times)
tlarwa

SE34i.4 with 91.7dB single driver Super Pensils
01/07/15 at 03:20:55

Thoughts?  I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Rachael, with dual stepped attenuators and variable outputs.  My speakers are Klipsch Forte II's (98dB) and Super Pensils that use Mark Audio 12p full range drivers (91.7dB).  I plan to feed the amp directly from my turntable (using an AT150Mlx or Denon DL-103r cartridge) and Parks Audio Budgie tubed phone preamp (MM/MC).  At some future point I plan to go to a tubed preamp or passive preamp (for more inputs) but for now the budget doesn't allow it.  Will I be happy running this way for the time being?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: SE34i.4 with 91.7dB single driver Super Pensils
Reply #1 - 01/07/15 at 07:52:25

It will easily drive the Klipsch to ear harming volumes, but depending on your room size you may not get satisfactory volume for the Super Pensils at 92dB.  I would talk to Steve about that.

IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #2 - 01/07/15 at 12:41:05

My room is fairly small (12'x17') and I listen in a near field position, approximately 8' back.  I'm easily driving the Super Pensils with my Fisher 400.  And from what I've read, and experienced myself, the 12p drivers seem pretty easy to drive.  That said, I don't want to run out of headroom either.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/07/15 at 14:11:19

Tom, our listening rooms are pretty close to the same size so you will get a good feeling this weekend if you drive down.  My listening position is in nearly the same spot at yours as well.

I really think it is driver/cabinet specific.   With Raven's MG944s at 94db, I can drive them plenty loud but with the El Camino's which I would guess are 91db, I could drive them to listening volume but needed more to get the most out of those speakers.   I have a pair of DNAs that I built and those are just 89db, but they are similar in output to the El Caminos.  I switched drivers in the DNAs because they didn't play loud enough and to another driver still rated at 89db, and they played louder.

So I'm not much help here other than to say I think you need to listen to the amp with your speakers.  Hopefully the guy will let you hold off committing till the weekend.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #4 - 01/07/15 at 16:04:02

Thanks, Tom.  I'm looking forward to hearing the combination this weekend.  And the fact that your listening area and position is about the same makes me more comfortable.  

See you Saturday.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print