Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 08:55:55 

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 85073 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #800 - 08/28/15 at 13:02:28

I just read that last night as well. Nice to see the the reviewers feeling PS  Audio can keep up with the big boys. Sad thing is, I thought PS Audio *was* the big boys! LOL  Well, at least to my budget they are. Smiley

I had a new Femme Fatale over a couple times this week. After some wine and soft music, I'm like HEY! You like Tori Amos? She's like "a redhead that can sing, hell Yeah" - my new friend being a redhead...  So I cleared the living room, sat her in the sweet spot, and warned her it might get a little loud. She said she'd never heard anything like this before. Smiley

This latest OS even left me jaw dropped. Without the edge of Pikes Peak Tori didn't have that - "live over the PA" sound that I've come to be used to, but the detail emerging from the black backgrounds without the (relative) harshness of the older OSs. I know I keep saying this, but *this* is what I expected the DirectStream to sound like from the beginning. Part of me is upset that it took so long to get here, and that I kept thinking it was so close to this and couldn't get better with each OS update. I can see where Stone gave up on the DS, but I'm glad I stuck it out (well I'm quite invested in it, even with the huge discount I got).

Personally, Yale Final sounds noticeably better than the Yale Beta - which leads me to believe that Ted may have snuck in that *extra* -3db noise reduction everyone keeps getting excited about. So I'm not sure that next update is going to be as big of an improvement as this one. If it is...damn! If not, I'm still very happy with the DS, and starting to feel like Lon and settling into the music rather than worrying about gear.  :)

I have a USB regen coming in, then anything after that is just going to have to be (DIY) room treatments and speaker position till I get some bills paid down, so it's good that I'm settling in.  :)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #801 - 09/30/15 at 12:39:53

Well, weeks now on the Yale Final and it is delivering the best sound I've heard. This level of detail is surprising as for the first time it is coming without edge, thickness, or other factors that have made me turn down the volume and shorten my listening sessions. And I haven't found a benefit to having the CSP2+ in the system, it just adds a little veil and a gob of thickness not needed. I've been able to tune the system with isolation components (the PerfectWave PowerBases are adding a lot of vibrational and electrical isolation and a set of Aurios has wandered around my system and ended up under my PWT, a set of Synergistic Research MiGs has done the same and ended up under my DVR, the rest have lots of black base Iso-Cups with Deep Moss gemstone balls). I'm so happy with my cabling and sources and of course the wonderfully adjustable Torii Mk III with stepped attenuator and beeswax caps. So simple, no messing around with computers or USB devices, I'm totally back into the groove of enjoying my collection of discs and broadcast TV.

Life is good. I know there will be another firmware update but I'm not in a hurry.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #802 - 09/30/15 at 14:41:14

I've been out of the loop for a while. I should pop over to their forums and see what's going on. The Beta forum dried up around the time of Yale Final, so there really wasn't any news.

I've been happy with my system. That USB Regen added another level of detail, very similar to what Yale Final did for me. It's the nail in the coffin of the bits-is-bits theory for me. There is more to it than that, clearly.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #803 - 09/30/15 at 16:42:20

Well, I'm glad that is helping, but I'm so glad that I have the PWT and can just spin discs with such great sound and no further hassling. The I2S connection and the digital lens inside make it a great transport.

"Bits are bits" is not something I personally ever believed. As both the Buddha and Donny Hathaway say "Everything is everything."

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #804 - 11/17/15 at 01:00:21

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #805 - 11/29/15 at 15:20:39

PS Audio is working on a new PerfectWave transport that will send DSD from SACD discs and unencrypted hi res PCM from Blu-ray and DVD discs . . . very interesting.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #806 - 12/02/15 at 17:22:33

I thought there was FCC regulations against that.

Sounds amazing for those with multiple DirectStreams...imagine the surround sound! LOL

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #807 - 12/02/15 at 19:24:53

It's not material on commercial Blu-rays and DVDs (unfortunately, I'd be all over that if it had a video passthrough!) but files burned on to those discs as data.

As for SACD, they bought a license to use, they are working with an Oppo drive.

These sort of things are not to my knowledge FCC regulated but regulated by consensual agreement among manufacturers.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #808 - 02/11/16 at 14:26:38

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #809 - 02/12/16 at 23:32:51

Lon wrote on 02/11/16 at 14:26:38:

Looks pretty nice, but I think that they are out of touch in regards to pricing for this.  IMO most people who can't afford a 6K DAC, can't afford a 4K DAC either. Grin

I honestly don't suspect this will do all that great because I think it's still priced out of range for most.  Perhaps if it came in at $2,000 range it would sell like hot cakes, but the same people who are/were priced out of the Senior will most likely be priced out of the Junior as well. Embarrassed

At 4K for the Junior ... one might as well get a gently used Senior which I have seen priced on Agon and eBay for under 3K at times.  In fact, there's a brand new one in the box listed for $3900 on Agon right now.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #810 - 02/12/16 at 23:53:38

I hear you. I have a feeling there will be early deals on this  though. . . I personally think this will go for 2500 to 3000 more often than not. And it does have the Bridge 2, and will be able to do the DSD/DVD-A disc to data stream handshake that is coming up for the PWT and the DS--quite well equipped. . . . To be honest, I think PS Audio knows what they are doing and I suspect it will do well enough for them. For those others. . . there's the NuWave and the used PS Audio market. On audio boards I am always surprised at how many people can afford high end components, and I'm betting I'd be surprised at how many could and would afford these. I'm shocked at how many here can afford the top end of Decware components, but Steve builds them and sells them. I couldn't for so long, what really has made it possible for me was losing a wife and getting some money the hard way by insurance from her unfortunate death, and selling a home I was lucky to triple my investment on in twenty years. That was almost pure luck. Otherwise I'd might still be listening to my DEC695, Rev. A amp and RL1 speakers!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #811 - 02/13/16 at 02:25:44

Almost exactly my thoughts.  Let's see the street price in a month or so.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #812 - 02/13/16 at 12:32:41

I think the comparative product is the Auralic Vega at $3499 and would have thought the DS Jr would have been priced the same.  That said, as long as you don't purchase the product on pre-order, you will be able to get it much cheaper.   Through experience, I have no doubt about that.  Patience is on your wallets side in this case.  

In summary, I agree with all of you.  Happy listening!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #813 - 02/13/16 at 13:11:17

It's certainly intriguing for us mere mortals.  The DS is an impressive DAC.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #814 - 03/07/16 at 01:34:32

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #815 - 05/13/16 at 14:16:26

The successor to the Yale software, Torreys, is now in beta testing. Promising initial results.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #816 - 05/16/16 at 16:14:00

The feedback on the new firmware continues to be positive though there seem to be bugs with USB use. (I am so so glad I don't use computer audio). My guess is that they'll fix these bugs and roll out another version for testing.

I've been alternating between using my DS as a preamp and the CSP2+. No matter what tube complement I use or what gain settings I clearly prefer the DS as the preamp rather than the DS through  the CSP2+. I love the sound that the CSP2+ influences with the ZP3 and my Denon universal player, so I'm just going to "set it and forget it" and quit playing with the DS and the CSP2+ together.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #817 - 06/02/16 at 12:47:02

Well, the new firmware is finalized. I haven't been bold and daring enough yet to try to upload it myself, my track record is not good on that front. But it seems to be very positively received.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #818 - 06/02/16 at 18:39:46

Lon,

The Torrey's install went smooth for me. It's like getting a new DAC every six months but for free and easy to send back if you don't like it. Just reinstall the old firmware. I think I will keep this one. Never before have I heard this amount of detail.

I too go back and forth with and without the CSP3 in with my DS. I too like direct into the the ZMA but I have no headroom driving my Janszen zA2.1 speakers. I will be getting the ZTpre shortly and am hoping it will be a game changer.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #819 - 06/02/16 at 21:31:52

Thanks ILance. I just haven't successfully managed to get files onto a card and into my DS from my Macbook. So I'm reticent and holding off. . . I'll find a way in time. Thanks. Last time Eric helped with a card and it worked like a charm.

I would hope the ZTPre will be a winner for you. . .  I just don't need a preamp that much, and I love the sound "Direct" into the Torii. Wow, things sound so good right now I almost don't want to make ANY changes.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #820 - 06/02/16 at 23:39:36

Wow, this thread has been some educational and informative reading.  

So, Lon, do you own the PS Audio DSD DAC & Transport?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #821 - 06/03/16 at 00:21:48

Yes, I do. LOVE the duo. 'F'ng amazing sound.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #822 - 06/03/16 at 01:19:37

I just loaded up the DS with Torreys.  No issues with the install.  Right now I am streaming TIDAL directly to the Bridge II without interruption.  I will spin some discs via the PWT later this evening.

I don't want to jump to conclusions regarding SQ.  That said, I am listening to Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue while I type this and my foot is a tapping.  Great music.

The only firmware that hasn't worked for me is Pikes Peak.  I'll report back after longer term listening to Torreys.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #823 - 06/03/16 at 01:26:22

Cool. Keep us posted when you do have some sonic impressions.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #824 - 06/03/16 at 02:07:06

Lon, I would guess you need both the DAC and transport to get all it delivers, correct?  How long ago did you pull the trigger on this combo?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #825 - 06/03/16 at 02:13:58

I bought the duo over four years ago, though then the DAC was the PerfectWave DAC--I had that upgraded to the DirectStream a bit after the DirectStream became available. They do work really well together for Redbook especially if you use the HDMI connection to link the two and use a great HDMI cable. The DirectStream also works really well via other connections. I have my Denon universal player (which has an excellent proprietary transport within it) connected via coaxial, and I have my DVR connected via optical. The DirectStream is also an excellent preamp. . .my CSP2+ can't really top it.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #826 - 06/03/16 at 15:54:57

I want that combo.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #827 - 06/03/16 at 17:49:46

I can understand that. Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #828 - 06/10/16 at 18:28:27

Okay, got an SD Card in the mail from PS Audio with Torreys OS on it, popped it in the DirectStream and am listening to the new sound right now. Wow, I like it. A lot. This DAC and preamp just keeps getting better and better!

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #829 - 06/15/16 at 16:58:12

Could it be said that this is close to the ultimate transport/dac at this time?  Is anyone else competing with this?

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #830 - 06/15/16 at 17:46:56

What are the main differences between the Nuwave and Perfectwave?  Who has what?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #831 - 06/15/16 at 18:00:43

Nuwave is a lower price point DAC from PS Audio, has the standard DAC configuration. I've never heard it, it gets good reviews for it's price point. It's just a DAC.

The PerfectWave was a preamp as well as a DAC, a better sounding one than the NuWave from all the accounts I've read. It also has a sort of "Non oversampling" mode that I preferred to use where the sampling rate etc. of the source is maintained. And you could use an HDMI cable to connect with the PerfectWave Transport and a few other devices to feed the DAC with digital signal in the I2S format. This was clearly the best sounding connection for me in my system. I had two PerfectWave DACs and PerfectWave transports, used them in two systems. Now I just have one system. I had one Perfectwave upgraded to the DirectStream DAC, and use one of the PerfectWave transports with it. The other Perfecwave DAC and Transport are in storage.

I'm sure there are better transport and DAC combos out there than the DirectStream and Transport. But you would have to pay a LOT more I think. As you know there are all sorts of varied opinions about the DirectStream as with any DAC preamp etc. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #832 - 06/15/16 at 18:02:51

The new Torreys firmware for the DirectStream is pretty cool. I do think there is a general richer sound to Yale that I miss, but the detail and dynamics and flow of Torreys make it the one to keep.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #833 - 06/15/16 at 18:14:18

Lon, thanks for the info.  I think I'm going to get the Nuwave.  It will suit my needs.  I don't think I'll get the PS Audio transport.  I'm going to see how it sounds with some of the players that I have.  Depending on those results I might get something like the Cambridge transport.

I'll get a set of Decware PILLS to go with the setup.

As it is, my listening room is less than ideal so audio bliss is not possible but audio satisfaction to some extent can be achieved, I think.

By the way, the Van Alstine amp arrived yesterday afternoon.   I'm going to hook it up this afternoon and let it burn in for a while before I can make a decision of what I've done.   Heaven help me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #834 - 06/15/16 at 19:12:43

Cool. I wouldn't get the Transport to use with the NuWave either; the real benefit of the Transport is the I2S via HDMI and that's not a choice on the NuWave.

I'll bet you will enjoy it. Good luck with the Van Alstine. It's fun to explore new audio. As I have a few systems in storage, I won't be doing any of that til I sell those.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #835 - 06/15/16 at 21:23:20

Lon, does that universal Denon you have come with an HDMI out?  If so, have you tried that with the Nuwave?  I've looked around and CD Transport only units don't usually have HDMI ports.  Most Blu Ray players do which is what I currently use.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #836 - 06/15/16 at 21:30:46

Yes it has two HDMI outputs. But first off I don't own the NuWave, nor had one here. I think you meant PerfectWave/DirectStream. Well, PS Audio's use of the HDMI cable is NOT the same as the use for video and audio transmission to TVs or sound processors, etc. They are using it for a type of data transmission called I2S that transmits music data and clock data separated. This usually happens inside CD players, but rarely happens between transports and DACs, and until PS Audio developed their HDMI protocol it was done using what's called an AT&T connector cable.

So far only the PS Audio Transport, their latest phono preamp, a Wyred for Sound component and a few streamers have adopted and use the PS Audio HDMI I2S protocol. HDMI out from blu-ray and DVD etc. won't work.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #837 - 06/15/16 at 21:32:47

Lon, very informative.  I'm glad you are here.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #838 - 06/16/16 at 16:07:09

.......data transmission called I2S that transmits music data and clock data separated.

....and before the development and use of I2S with HDMI/how PS uses it.....Audio Alchemy and Camelot Audio, first started it. Maybe California Audio Labs too?

See my I2S original signature below.....after the Audio Magic I2S...I used Revelation Audio I2S.....very nice. I still own all of my original AA gear from 2005! AH, NOT 2005.....1995 = 21 years and 2 moths ago! Where has it gone!

http://www.revelationaudiolabs.com/cables-digital/index.htm#i2s

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #839 - 07/06/16 at 14:01:47

Wow. It's been 300 hours on my P10 and I have to say. . . I regret spending the money but not getting the P10 regenerator.

Though not as big a leap in sonic improvement as the PPP to the P5, there is an improvement: a stronger foundation to the sound and imaging and a further open clarity to the sound. And an ease to the frequency extremes that I haven't had before.  Also the seductive sense that gobs of power are there to spare. Even with everything going full blast I'm still at 60 percent load, usually I'm at about 30.

The first week was crazy. I wish I'd never looked at the scope and specs of power in and out. Really high distortion in and out, sometimes hardly any difference between the two. I don't know if the specs were accurate or not, and throughout the sound was great. Though it is different now and I'm getting .1 or .2 distortion even in the High Regulation setting. And I can use Multi-wave on this one at 1 or 2, and it sounds really nice to be honest. The sale price was a good one and I have already arranged to hold my P5 for someone and will put my PPP up for sale soon.

To my mind this is a lot like having the power capacitance of the Mystery Amp, while retaining the tonal flexibility of the Torii Mk III (those bass and treble controls make it THE amp for me) and also having that benefit throughout the system. (My TV picture is amazing for just one example!) And I have "room to move" . . . if I ever do need more power requirements I have outlets and headroom to spare.

The music is spinning and is stunning!

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #840 - 07/06/16 at 23:20:39

+1 Lon, the P10 is top of the heap when it comes to power conditioning. The sale was so good I had to buy another one.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #841 - 07/07/16 at 00:14:56

It certainly was a sale that moved product!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #842 - 07/23/16 at 17:23:10

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #843 - 07/24/16 at 23:01:06

Hey Lon, thanks for the articles on PS Audio's LANRover. I had seen it on their website, and I was curious about it. It looks like a more sophisticated version of the Uptone Audio Regen that I bought last year. I'll be waiting for the reviews to come out to see how it is accepted by the market. I love the convenience of computer audio, but I'm still not all the way to CD quality. Getting closer, though - maybe this new product will be an equalizer.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #844 - 07/24/16 at 23:42:39

You're welcome. Though I haven't read the thread (my interest in computer audio is very small) there's a long thread from beta testers on the PS Audio forum.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #845 - 07/25/16 at 04:15:01

Ok, thanks Lon. I'll check it out.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #846 - 09/27/16 at 16:20:36

PS Audio just launched the web page and a comprehensive video about the new Transport, now named the DirectStream Memory Player. I tossed my hat into the ring to be a beta-tester, though I have two of the current versions and was thinking of upgrading one of those. I've queried Paul and Scott about becoming a beta tester via upgrade but will have to wait til the finalizing of beta testing to find out.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #847 - 09/27/16 at 17:39:47

Cool, good luck!

The beta test group was a little...unguided when I did it for the Bridge II. Hopefully they've got it worked out a little better for the newer hardware. I'm sure it will sound great regardless, especially since (I'm assuming) it's going to be software updateable.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #848 - 10/28/16 at 23:07:04

Yes, it should be firmware updatable, the Transport I have currently is. It's the best transport I've ever experienced, so I have high hopes for this new one.

And I got my shipping notice, Beta Tester Armstrong will have his on Wednesday.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #849 - 11/03/16 at 19:59:05

Did you get the transport?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20
Send Topic Print