Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 15:58:11 

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 88855 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #700 - 02/23/15 at 00:52:52

interesting. I'm so happy with 1.21. . . and what I've read about Pike's Peak has given me pause. . . I'm paused. Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #701 - 02/23/15 at 01:25:23

Lon...enjoy the music!  No need to switch to PP.  -d

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #702 - 02/23/15 at 01:35:46

Thanks. No plan to at present.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #703 - 02/23/15 at 01:37:12

Thanks. No plan to at present.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #704 - 02/23/15 at 15:10:25

I just read John Atkinson's FOLLOW-UP (page 115 - 117, Stereophile/current issue March 2015).

Even with the new/latest firmware updates, their is still a lack of resolution. I discerned the same thing. Plenty of omissions with Redbook too, unfortunately. Nice to have confirmation of my hearing. Different strokes for different folks.......is a fair conclusion.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #705 - 02/23/15 at 15:56:05

Online Atkinson says:

In many ways, PS Audio's DirectStream DAC measures superbly well. But I was somewhat bothered by its ultimate lack of resolution with data capable of higher-than-CD resolution, which I suspect lay behind AD's finding the processor to sound "a bit rounded off" and lacking in immediacy.

It's also unclear from the text whether this was his original measurements or an updated conclusion after he had been sent another unit that did measure better after the 1.21 firmware change.

I don't hear a lack of resolution with my unit (which really did change after many hours of breakin for both firmware versions). And I don't play higher than CD resolution music material through the DirectStream much either. When I compare vinyl through the ZP3 and the same album on CD via the DirectStream I do not hear a lack of resolution. The ZP3 does not attenuate resolution.

Looking forward to your impressions of the new Decware recorder.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #706 - 02/25/15 at 20:10:38

I found this article interesting.  Not trying to incite a riot, but found it interesting from a technological perspective and how DSD and Class D are connected.

I have a DSD DAC, BTW.

http://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-digital/dsd-class-d-and-great-marketing.html

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #707 - 02/25/15 at 21:14:50

@ Palomino - interesting read.  I'm noticing that advancements in Class D seem to be making quite big strides just within the last couple of years.  I've owned a couple ICE based in the past, but they always sucked to me.  

However on the Audio Circles Forum the sweetheart amp is the cheapy one from Harmon the Crown XLS 1500.  I have been hearing that this thing competes against amps costing 10x more.  Never heard one though, but would like to at some point.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #708 - 02/25/15 at 21:24:04

I have (now given to my son) and Onkyo class D that was supposed to be tube like.  I think not.

That Crown 1500 looks like a PA amp.  Am I looking at the right one?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #709 - 02/25/15 at 21:29:29

Yes ... it is a PA amp Grin ... that's what makes it so off the wall and people are going gaga over this thing! It is a hot item over at AC with a big thread dedicated to its virtures.

I think what happened is someone bought one to drive a DIY subwoofer and just by chance stuck it on their main kit and noticed it was really close in performance to their very expensive tube amp.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #710 - 02/25/15 at 23:59:15

The Peachtree 220se, Class D, ICE integrated amp that I purchased back in December continues to impress me. I also auditioned the Peachtree 65se and 125se (different Class D implementations) and they are not in the same class as the 220se.

Yes, Class D amps have come a long way.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #711 - 02/26/15 at 00:19:42

Interestingly, Harman also owns the Mark Levinson brand, which is utilizing Class D amplification in their Stereophile Class A rated amp.  Trickle down or trickle up?  

Has anyone opened one of these Crown amplifiers up and posted pictures?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #712 - 02/26/15 at 00:29:53

amazon shows a little pic.

716KgEU8v2L__SL256_.jpg

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #713 - 02/26/15 at 00:36:05

Thanks Lon.  

Would be interesting to hear what a Magnepan MMG ($600) + Crown XLS1500 ($350) system sounds like (for <$1000).  Add in a decent SACD source and you are talking <$1500.

I don't need another system, but I like to experiment...

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #714 - 02/26/15 at 00:41:17

I think you need two of the Crown amps right?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #715 - 02/26/15 at 00:41:57

Does sound really interesting. I've only heard a few very cheap early class D amps and wasn't that impressed. There have been a lot of models since and they seem promising.

I was very surprised at the sound quality of a chip amp that I have from DAL Audio. When I first got it (I had just moved and my Torii needed some repair; they are manufactured literally a mile from my door so I picked one up as a temporary amp) I was not really impressed, it sounded good, but not great. Nineteen months or so later I installed it in my fiancee's place and let a lot of hours add onto it and man it sounds good. In some ways it bettered the Decware Zen amp I put in its place this week--better bass, better image specificity. The Zen amp had a more holographic soundstage and perhaps a bit better micro dynamics. But at less than half the price the chip amp really distinguished itself. DBC's positive experience with the PeachTree amp shows that there are great class D amps out there too.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #716 - 02/26/15 at 00:54:21

Crown Audio XLS1500 ... I believe (if there are similarities between Crown and ML) that it would have tricked up to ML as I think the designer Gerald Stanley works for Crown.

I doubt it will be too long that people or companies will be modding these with audiophile quality parts and chassis that aren't so homely/industrial looking.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #717 - 03/06/15 at 12:24:37

Latest deal is by a DirectStream, get a PWT. Still a lot of money, but this is an awesome combo for playing discs.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #718 - 03/06/15 at 12:57:25

Interesting developments over at PS Audio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

Help us change the world
A project that has long been on my mind is coming closer to being a reality and we need your help.

For many years I have been aghast at the way the music industry treats artists, recording and mastering experts. It’s basically awful. If you are a big star you do well, anything less and it’s hard to even make a living. And on top of that, we Audiophiles never have enough quality music at hand. There are people in this industry working through these issues in a fair and honorable way, Cookie Marenco ofBlue Coast Records tops my list. There are others as well, like Chad Kassam of Acoustic Sounds. All working hard to preserve the quality and art in what we as listeners love.

But it’s a losing battle. Artists cannot make a living, recording studios as well as mastering facilities are dropping like flies. In their places are homebrew studios using Pro Tools and generally degrading the quality of recordings.

So I asked myself what is it PS Audio can do to help? And it occurred to us we could do our bit to change the dynamic, to fundamentally alter the way in which recording artists and studios are compensated. And we could do that with the support of our community of music and audio lovers willing to help.

Let me tell you what currently happens in all but a few instances. The distribution companies that publish and market music make the lion’s share of the money, many times in excess of 95% of all revenues generated. The meager remains are distributed back to the artists, the studios that recorded and mastered their work getting even less. Companies like Apple have done better, sharing 70% of the proceeds of music to the artist, 30% for themselves. This is fair and equitable and closer to the way it should be … only, the amount they charge for the music is so little that unless you are a mega star, there’s nothing in it to put food on the table and encourage the release of even more material.

So here’s what we are going to do. We have partnered with our good friend and world famous mastering engineer Gus Skinas, along with local high end recording studio Immersive, and a group of very excellent musicians (names can’t be told until the contracts are all signed, but they’re awesome) to make our first release on a new label we are starting, PS Records.

This first release, and probably most that follow, will be physical media copies, not downloads. There’s a whole philosophical thing we have about downloads and there’s not space enough to go into it here. Inside the physical media package will be two discs: a CD and a DVD. The CD will contain perfectly mastered copies of the original high resolution files. The DVD will contain both the original master DSD recordings as well as 176/24 PCM versions, so each package has three formats from which to enjoy, all mastered expertly by Gus Skinas on his system and curated and checked for final results in Music Room One on the IRSV.

We will also include a multi-page booklet, with not only a bio for each artist but the layout of the recording and photographs when we have them.

The model of distribution and reimbursement will be very different. In this version we will sell the discs around the world ourselves without going through dealers, for $39.95 each. After covering the physical costs of the package itself as well as its fulfilment (figure about $10) the balance of $30 is split 80/20, with 80% shared between the musicians and the recording people that made and funded the studio and mastering time. 20% will go to PS Audio, the distributor and marketer, with the hopes of making enough money to repeat the process and make more. This is not a money making venture for us, rather, we want the lion’s share to go where it belongs, in the hands of those that make the music.

It’s a very different, open architecture approach that we believe could change the face of the recording industry if it is both successful and then adopted by others. Fingers crossed on both accounts.

I bring this to your attention for several reasons, among them: we need to name the album and we need to start thinking about how we will spread the word to our fellow Audiophiles to help make this a success. In keeping with the originality of this venture, we have hired a photographer to shoot the front cover. Scott McCormick is a famous creative for album covers, having shot many. We gave him carte blanche and asked only that the cover reflect the same level of creativity and art direction as does the music inside. Attached is what he came up with. Yes, it’s a little dark in subject matter, but I love it!

Can you help us by suggesting names for this first work? The name of the album should reflect both the ‘thumbing our nose’ attitude toward the status quo of how artists and recordists are compensated and also reflect the care and beauty of what is inside. On this you will have to trust me, the sound quality is nothing short of breathtaking on all cuts. I have nearly fallen off my chair listening to them, so good they are and this is an album you will all treasure having.

Any help and suggestions as to the name and ideas of how to spread the word are greatly appreciated. We hope to release in late spring.

If you have suggestions, email them to me or go here to our forums and suggest. Thank you. It’s important.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #719 - 03/06/15 at 16:54:17

Lon,  I got an email about the "free" PWT with Direct Stream purchase.  So for 10K of gear you pay 6K.  Not even 50% off as their past deal.  Anyway,  I had ruled myself out as a buyer when the 1/2 price deal was running.  But good deal if you're going to buy them anyway.  Is anyone using a PWT with a different brand DAC?

I'm in the den and listening to spotify with the "Soul" speakers and Taboo MK III.  Sounds good considering my laptop is nothing special...does have Beats Audio and an upgraded audio card. This is the album playing now...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #720 - 03/06/15 at 18:04:16

Hey, it's a lot of money, and I was lucky I had the money and feel it was well spent. I spent a lot of time and money with other sources and this combo elelvated my listening and took it on very enjoyable paths. I found that the Decware components will support the finest sources and I found this one and have really enjoyed it.

I have used one of my PWTs with the DAC witin the Denon DCD-A100, a really good 32 bit DAC. Great sound, a bit better than the drive in the Denon itself (which is a very good one, purpose built by Denon, not a Philips etc. drive) because of the "digital lens" in the PWT. But you can't use I2S via HDMI with the Denon, and using I2S via HDMI had a special mojo with the DirectStream.

Anyway, I was just putting that info from today's email out here on this thread.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #721 - 03/20/15 at 12:45:51

I'm jinxed.

I ordered the Pike's Peak files on an SD card from PS Audio. Wait a week, then inquire. Oh, your order fell through the cracks, we'll get it in the mail. Sigh.

The card arrives last night. I follow the instructions to the letter, and be sure to orient the contacts facing up. Cycle the machine off. Nothing. It initiates just as it normally does and didn't load any software.

Did this more than thrice. Same results.

I give up. Smiley

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #722 - 03/20/15 at 12:58:04

You must be jinxed. I've loaded and loaded and loaded software, even on memory cards that weren't supposed to work and haven't had a failure yet.

Do you have a computer with a memory card slot that you can read the card and see what's on it?

It didn't lobotomize your system like before, right?

what does the Display say the version is?

Sorry for asking this, I know you said you put it in right, but; Gold contacts on the card up and inserted all the way?

Remember you need to power cycle with the rear switch, and the blue logo should blink-blink-blink for up to 30 seconds, then the DAC initializes. Verify the change on the display and go on with your bad self.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #723 - 03/20/15 at 13:08:48

I haven't looked at the card yet in my laptop, I got in late last night, and was tired this morning, and frustrated with the whole thing, this firmware upgrade has been a frustrating PITA for me since its initiation. No, it didn't turn my DS into a brick, thank goodness, and I'm very very happy with 1.21. 1.21 is what shows as the firmware installed. I cycled it off from the back just as I should, I had the pins facing up, when I turned it back on no flashing light, just initializes as usual. I had the pins up, the card clicked into place.

I'm pretty disgusted with the whole process right now and I never have enough time to do this sort of thing with my current life so I'm just going to pretend I didn't get the card til next week when I MIGHT actually have one day I don't have to "work" 12 hours or more. Sigh.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #724 - 03/20/15 at 14:05:29

Good idea - step away from the "work" when you're frustrated. Come back to it fresh - make sure that card is getting inserted all the way. This should be a fun, exciting time, not frustration. So come back to it later.

In the mean time, enjoy the music!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #725 - 03/20/15 at 14:08:22

I don't think I've been "fresh" since I left Texas 23 months ago. Sad Not enough sleep, sad duties all the time, very little time to myself (which I need badly as an introvert).

The card was inserted properly, the whole process was done according to their "how to." I don't think I'll have any different results. The question is what is on the card, I'll check that out. If it's not the right files, I'm going to pronounce their customer service as really bad. The last three interactions they have loused up several times on each. Every aspect of this firmware thing since they started doing DS upgrades has been frustrating.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #726 - 03/20/15 at 16:01:58

That could very well be - they are a smaller company and I think only one guy (Dennis) really works on the Firmwares.

My offer is still open if you want me to send you a known good SD card with the OS update on it, having been tested on my system. I could drop it in the mail Saturday.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #727 - 03/20/15 at 16:05:37

Thanks. I'll verify that what is on the card PS Audio sent me is correct before taking you up on that.

Argh. I've had a very frustrating week with family drama and just want my Saturday night with Lucy badly! It will arrive.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #728 - 03/20/15 at 19:27:32

Well, I dropped the SD card received from PS Audio in my laptop and guess what?

It's an unnamed card completely empty of files!

&^%$ ! ! ! !

It took me a few minutes but I started laughing hard.

I sent them a message asking for one that actually has files on it.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #729 - 03/20/15 at 21:04:00

Yeah, that would do it.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #730 - 03/23/15 at 18:05:41

Finally, the jinx is lifted! I got the card, verified it had files on it, put it in, and a minute later there was 1.23 Pike's Peak firmware installed.

This IS different. What I heard first off was more treble. ;( That was what struck me, but it is actually a different treble and a different presentation, a touch more forward. I know I'll feel differently about it afer a while (and I'm still shoehorning in experience with a new interconnect. Interesting to have these two new things going on and I'll be happy to have a little more time Thursday through Sunday (my sister is coming up from Virginia to be the primary caretaker of Dad) to listen and compare and contrast.

Thanks for all the good thoughts y'all--a safe and easy installation at last.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #731 - 03/23/15 at 19:02:52

Cool - hopefully this works out for you. I still like it the best so far - though I've got a beta firmware I need to queue up and install soon. I'm not sure how much of PP is in the beta software, but it's supposed to have some new USB implementation. I've not read the notes on it yet.

Anyways, give PP some time and tell us what you think. I like the accuracy, and I quickly got used to the new presentation. It's helped make small changes in my room more apparent.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #732 - 03/23/15 at 19:27:21

I'm just a couple hours in but I'm not really going to prefer this to 1.21 unless it changes somewhat. Too sibilant and spitty.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #733 - 03/25/15 at 20:27:40

Alright, two days in and things are better. I'm not sure what the spitting and sybillance was all about but it settled down. I did some tone control work and Pike's Peak sounds pretty good.

I still think 1.21 is probably better suited for me. I'm not liking the forward nature of Pike's Peak. . . I never prefer that. There's also a bit of thinness that makes me uneasy. I have some cable burnin going on too so I'm being patient. . . will probably flip back to 1.21 in a week and see which I prefer.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #734 - 03/26/15 at 22:09:59

I got my second VooDoo Cable Stradivarius Cremona interconnect in today, and now my path for the DirectStream is all Stradivarius Cremona, to and from the CSP2+ (with Jupiter caps) into the Torii Mk III (with Jupiter caps).

The cable has a few hundred hours on it, demo use for the company, and already sounds excellent. With these two excellent cables into the CSP2+ the forwardness is a bit releived, and the thinness has for the most part so far dissipated. Very seductive sound. I now have the other input on the CSP2+ assigned to the Denon flagship universal player via the first edition of Stradivarius cable (non-Cremona) and that sounds amazing. And the ZP3 runs straight into the Torii via the previous top of the line VooDoo cable, the UltraLinear. That sounds jaw-droppingly good.

I'm done, at least til I move and see what the adventure of the new room in Chardon will bring!

With this set up Pike's Peak may be where i stay, especially if everything simmers in and stays sounding great for a while.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #735 - 03/28/15 at 13:11:42

Here's my evolving impression of Pike's Peak firmware update installed in my DirectStream.
First, it's in part a tale of interconnect choices. In the last few years I have been using VooDoo Cable interconnects and falling in love with them. I started with an Evolution, got a few more, then found a used pair of the UltraLinear (previous flagship) and another, and used those two to and from my DirectStream and Decware CSP2+ preamp and Decware Torii Mk III amp. After my problematic update to 1.21 I for the first time tried the DirectStream straight into the Torii amp, "riding the gain" between the DirectStream preamp and the input gain on the Torii. This was my preferred playback method--finally with that interconnect I was very happy. Then of course, because I have the audiophile sickness, I found a used Stradivarius interconnect from VooDoo, the first version, and that was even more suited for running the DirectStream direct. I was blissfully happy. . . afraid to make any changes and just enjoying my music.

Then Pike's Peak was announced and I stuck my head in the sand hoping that everyone would hate it and I wouldn't be tempted to imperil the synergy I had been enjoying. Reading all the impressions I felt there was a chance I would not prefer it, but the growing acceptance of the sonic change reported overcame my resistance. Before I received the update though Bruce Davidson of VooDoo Cable offered me a "deal I couldn't refuse" on a pair of the newest flagship interconnect, the Stradivarius Cremona Edition. This interconnect was nearly broken in and really sounding wonderful with the DirectStream straight into the amp. When I updated to Pike's Peak there were obvious improvements in detail and drive. . . but also a forwardness that I never prefer for most of the material I listen to, and a thinness or lack of warm coloration that works with less wonderful recordings with 1.21. I kept trying to like it but not relaxing into the music they way I would like to, need to. Then Bruce Davidson offered me an even better deal on a length of demo Stradivarius Cremona edition I needed to run the DirectStream into the CSP2+ and then into the Torii amp. THIS was the way to go with Pike's Peak, the preamp adding just a bit of "thickening" and adding a bit more depth to the sound plus a bit more of a laidback presentation. So far, like Goldilock's porridge, this is just right. In time I will go back to 1.21 to see how that fares with the newe signal route, but I am again just relaxing into the sound and enjoying my collection.

So I shelled out money for new interconnects and this has paid off in great sound and allayed my "fear of updates." For now. . . Cheesy

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #736 - 04/20/15 at 12:01:46

Yet another great review of a product that just keeps getting better!  

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/04/11/review-ps-audio-directstream-dsd-dac/

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #737 - 05/11/15 at 12:52:25

Well, after some time and a lot of seasoning on my new Cremona Edition interconnects I set the DirectStream back into preamp mode use. Both running it through the CSP2+ and straight into the Torii yields good sound with interesting differnces, but the better dynamics from running it straight in have won me over this time. I'm sold on this simpler set up and the flip side is that my ZP3 sound fantastic run through the CSP2+, fuller bodied and as three dimensional as ever.

Pike's Peak in this situation is a bit more forward than I like but I'll get used to it and it should be far less of a factor in my upcoming new location.

Bottom line: fantastic sound.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #738 - 05/11/15 at 14:40:40

Lon...thanks for keeping us in the loop with your observations.  Does the pre-amp have any benefit with the DS?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #739 - 05/11/15 at 14:47:55

Yes, a pleasant bit of smoothness, a bit more solidity to the imaging. At the expense of a bit of dynamic loss. I know that if I kept tube-rolling I would probably narrow the gap, but frankly. . . I'm tired of tube-rolling and just want to enjoy the system. I can do it either way, but I admit that this little extra bit of dynamics is welcome.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #740 - 05/29/15 at 01:09:44

I went back to 1.21 on the DirectStream and I am still in awe of how different it is vs. Pikes Peak.  I miss the incredible detail of Pikes Peak and the tighter bass and imaging, but PP is a little too dry and lacking in analog feel.  I suspect PP was contributing negatively to my long term listening enjoyment.  I am looking forward to the next OS from Ted.  Hopefully it combines the best of 1.21 and PP.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #741 - 06/03/15 at 21:26:02

Interesting Dave, I read this when you first posted and was about to go back to 1.21 again myself to see if I would prefer it even through the preamp. I had been listening to Pike's Peak directly into the amp for a while and really gotten to love it. Then I put it through the CSP2+ again and liked it more this time around. (Cables may have burned in more. . . .)

Then recently I went to an RCA 5V4G rectifier in the CSP2+ and ran the DirectStream with Pike's Peak into that and I'm very happy with this configuration. The 5V4G has ameliorated the dryness of Pike's Peak (I heard it too) and has just given the presentation a bit more juiciness. (Best way to describe it). I had to trim the teble a bit and like Goldilock's porridge it's just right at the moment. So I'm sticking with Pike's Peak, which frankly I wouldn't have predicted.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #742 - 06/04/15 at 03:45:32

Hi Lon.  Sounds like you are in a great spot with PP.  I think I would be able to dial in PP with a pre-amp, and I almost ordered the CSP3 to give it a try, but I remembered Steve is working on a new pre.  I also have a feeling Ted is working hard on compiling the best of PP with 1.21 for the next release.  So, I have to keep reminding myself that patience is a virtue.  I am listening to some Cassandra Wilson as I write this and everything is sounding excellent, so while I know it could be better, I am enjoying the here and now…

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #743 - 06/04/15 at 12:24:26

Dave, that is DEFINITELY what it is all about, enjoying the here and now and just experiencing the excellent sound our systems dish out.

Everytime I come to this board I get barraged with ideas that things could be better. That's great, but also in many ways counter-productive. Enjoying what one has is the best way to get through our not-so-perfect lives, and we certainly have excellent stuff to enjoy!

I think waiting for the new preamp makes a lot of sense. I think my best course is to keep enjoying what I have and see if I can't save for a future where I could write a check for the new preamp and a Mystery Amp or the Monos and somehow get Steve to put a treble cut circuit in there somewhere. I have the sources and speakers and cabling and isolation to die for and make that purchase worthwhile. And in the meantime I have excellent sound and will continue to swim in the music, which is what I feel it should be about more than analyzing every aspect and trying to improve things constantly. Let's help each other enjoy!   Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #744 - 06/04/15 at 14:39:01

A mastering engineer talks about the DirectStream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnAgxUFKaxM

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #745 - 06/06/15 at 14:29:08

Cookie Marenco talks to Paul about recording and the DirectStream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX8BPNVusb8&feature=youtu.be

I'm betting Palomino and ProggRob will hear why I like chatting with Cookie - she talks about the room much like I do.   Smiley

Rob - I'm watching another video on DSD - and Cookie recorded Buckethead back in the day! We need to figure out which albums. I wonder if it's the ones we really like...

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #746 - 06/06/15 at 16:24:57

I reached out to Cookie - she said the Buckethead album she worked on is Metatron.  :)

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #747 - 06/15/15 at 15:05:54

From Paul's Post that came out overnight.  While I'm in the loop on this, I've not tested this Firmware myself. I know they are adding Bridge II code; which is nice because I can finally switch between USB and Network connections on my BII. And there are supposed to be some enhancements that are (supposed) to be more along the line of what we're looking for...I think that means for those of us who thought Pikes Peak was in the right direction, but maybe too harsh. Again, I've not tested this, but that's what's been suggested.

"Within the next few weeks we will release the next firmware for DirectStream and I am holding back telling you what to expect as I too wait breathlessly to hear deeper into the music as never before."

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #748 - 06/15/15 at 16:02:39

LR…I am excited about the new firmware.  I have gone back to 1.21 and find it more satisfying musically, but there is a lot I miss about Pikes Peak.  The folks over at Computer Audiophile are reporting a lack of mid-bass in PP.  Interestingly, recent room sweeps by Gus Skinas of Paul's MR#1 indicated an excess of mid-bass.  That said, these firmware updates are collectively chosen by Ted, Arnie, Paul and the beta testers, right?

I have been holding out for the Bridge 2.  Al recently made a comment about the B2 sounding the equal of his 6K music server.  That’s quite an endorsement, albeit n=1.  The other device on my consideration list is the Auralic Aries.  I don’t have a ton of DSD, but it’s nice that the Aries can play double/quad rate DSD, whereas I think I read that the B2 is limited to single rate.  Many on the PS forums have reported excellent SQ with the Aries.  It’s also not clear to me how the B2 integrates with TIDAL, whereas the Aries seemingly has this nailed.  Hopefully the B2 launch is eminent, so the rest of us can get additional details.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #749 - 06/15/15 at 16:02:53

Yeah. . . I wish they would space these updates out more. For me the only way to get it to work is to send them thirty or forty bucks for their card, and it seems like I just did!

I'll hold off and wait for some reports because I don't need any "corrections" and the changes in sound aren't always for the best. . . .

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20
Send Topic Print