Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 09:14:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dissapointed in Decware-Bluesound Node Combo (Read 1586 times)
Lazlo Hollyfeld
Verified Member

Dissapointed in Decware-Bluesound Node Combo
12/19/23 at 15:08:14

I'm genuinely excited to have finally received my ZP3 and SE84UFO2 over the last couple of weeks.  The amp drives a set of Zu DW6 Supremes, and the sources are either a restored Marantz 6300 turntable (with a Denon DL110 cart and a Ned Clayton Cinemag SUT) or a Bluesound Node.  The Marantz-ZP3 combo sounds glorious. The Node, not so much.

Compared to my First Watt J2, the Node via the Decware has a much thinner, almost tinny-sounding top end at times. Some mid-range sounds a little "crunchy." It's hard to describe, but I suspect that the Decware is just a lot more transparent than the J2, which, now in comparison, smoothes out the edges a bit.

So long story short, has anyone fond themselves dissatisfied with the Decware-Node combination?

Marantz 6300 w/ Denon DL110 > ZP3 > or Bluesond Node > SE84UFO2.1 > Zu DW6 Supremes & Rel T/5X w/ Pinetree Audio cables
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Re: Dissapointed in Decware-Bluesound Node Combo
Reply #1 - 12/19/23 at 15:35:19

cue the zrock Wink

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 12/19/23 at 15:48:59

Quote:
Posted by: Lazlo Hollyfeld      Posted on: Today at 07:08:14

...Compared to my First Watt J2, the Node via the Decware has a much thinner, almost tinny-sounding top end at times. Some mid-range sounds a little "crunchy." It's hard to describe, but I suspect that the Decware is just a lot more transparent than the J2, which, now in comparison, smoothes out the edges a bit.

I suspect you are right. You might check out this thread for a discussion on how to improve the streaming experience:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1633788897

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lazlo Hollyfeld
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/19/23 at 16:21:43

Great thread! Thanks for linking! Not sure I would have found it on my own ...

Marantz 6300 w/ Denon DL110 > ZP3 > or Bluesond Node > SE84UFO2.1 > Zu DW6 Supremes & Rel T/5X w/ Pinetree Audio cables
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 12/19/23 at 16:48:37

There is a lot of wisdom and experience on this message board and I've learned a bunch in the few years that I've been on it.

FYI/FWIW my Decware amps replaced Pass Labs Aleph 2s that I had for 20+ years and thought were pretty much the last word in transparency and resolution. But my Decware amps are so much more honest and resolving that they forced me to spend a bunch of money to upgrade my digital front end. This is of course a good news/bad news thing because my digital now sounds amazing, to the point where I hardly ever play records any more.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/19/23 at 16:58:11

Decware amps have the ability to be amazing telescopes, or microscopes...

Unfortunately, the Node is just a meh entry-level streamer/DAC. It's electronic components aren't very high quality, the clocks are not very good, it comes with a crappy switch-mode power supply, and there is no galvanic isolation between the dirty streaming side and the DAC, it has a SNR -113dBA, THD+N, 0.002%, native sampling 192 Khz max and 16 - 24 bit depth.

This is perfectly acceptable performance until you hook it up to a Decware which will unmercilessly demonstrate its shortcomings. You could improve the performance a little by investing in a linear power supply.

But, IMHO you have outgrown the Node, and I would recommend selling it and purchasing a superior streamer/DAC, such as the Eversolo DMP A6/Master Ed./A8, etc. And if you can afford it, there are other great options from Denefrips, PS Audio, MSB, etc.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lazlo Hollyfeld
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 12/19/23 at 18:32:50

That's a great analogy, Ghostship.  I can't say I'm going to spill too many tears over "having to buy a cool new piece of gear."  

Besides the few higher-end brands you mentioned, folks I trust like the Border Patrol DAC a great deal.  I'm also drawn to the Audio Note Kit DAC 2.1 Signature for both its reputation and the DIY aspects.

IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #7 - 12/20/23 at 08:30:31

I admit that I am a streamer !

We have a Cambridge Audio CXN V2 in the complete Decware system.  Have been using it for about four years.

This year while setting up a second system/room, we bought a Bluesound Node.  Hade moved the CXN in to compare with the Node.

The Node was "thin" as you describe.  It was returned to Amazon.

The second system now has a Eversolo A6 ME streamer/DAC/Pre.

I'm done !

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/20/23 at 13:17:17

Oh, if you're DIY-inclined, then I would highly recommend building a RaspberryPi-based Streamer/DAC from components by IanCanada, the sound quality per dollar is tremendous. Here are some links to get you started down this rabbithole:

There's a YouTube channel that shows these being built (Gabster):
https://youtu.be/EPV1ON23L0Y?si=lIDy-yNGzI5jsSZg

A forum chain where builders and IanCanada contribute frequently:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/asynchronous-i2s-fifo-project-an-ulti...

And link to parts documents,  prices, and ordering info:
https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lazlo Hollyfeld
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 12/20/23 at 14:31:31

Well damn, at that price point, I'll probably try this regardless!  I've built several Bottlehead kits and some other board-based parts along the way, so this looks like a good way to spend a Saturday.

IP Logged
Yakatak
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 12/22/23 at 05:27:09

I have a Bluesound Node, but run the streamer into a Doge 7 DAC. Not thin at all.

IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/25/23 at 01:57:50

I have the Node 2.1 into a Pontus2 and pretty close to my Marantz 6006 into Dac. Going to try the Vinshine PSU next.

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Lazlo Hollyfeld
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 01/02/24 at 13:55:19

Quick update. After a great conversation with Brian Smith over at Audio Note Kits, he sold me on building one of his DAC 2.1 Signature kits.  Excited for a little DIY!

IP Logged
GeriTheBiker
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 04/09/24 at 02:58:52

Unfortunately I do not own a Decware product, but I tested the Node. I did not feel it's sound was as good as the reviews suggested. It did not have a big sound stage, the mids were a bit flat, so it was not like I felt a kick in my chest. Or if I wanted to use to use your word, it was thin. But the main reason to return was that I had streaming issues. I could not make it play gap-less... Maybe I just did not find the setting, but I thought it was not worth the trouble...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print