Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 16:53:05 

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 88863 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #750 - 06/15/15 at 20:44:52

Quote:
Yeah. . . I wish they would space these updates out more. For me the only way to get it to work is to send them thirty or forty bucks for their card, and it seems like I just did!

I offered to send you my SD card with the Firmware/OS on it after I used it on my machine. I wouldn't even have asked for postage to cover the stamp!  :)

Quote:
That said, these firmware updates are collectively chosen by Ted, Arnie, Paul and the beta testers, right?

Beta team has been busy with Bridge II - so we've not had any say in the past two OSs.  (e.g. Pikes Peak and the future mountain)

Quote:
I have been holding out for the Bridge 2.  Al recently made a comment about the B2 sounding the equal of his 6K music server.  That’s quite an endorsement, albeit n=1.  The other device on my consideration list is the Auralic Aries.  I don’t have a ton of DSD, but it’s nice that the Aries can play double/quad rate DSD, whereas I think I read that the B2 is limited to single rate.  Many on the PS forums have reported excellent SQ with the Aries.  It’s also not clear to me how the B2 integrates with TIDAL, whereas the Aries seemingly has this nailed.  Hopefully the B2 launch is eminent, so the rest of us can get additional details.

The Aries is really nice sounding, and IMHO a great option. It's like purchasing a server with custom software written for it. IMHO - The Bridge II sounds really good, but yes, is limited to single DSD.

I've not looked into Tidal with the B2, but have done other streaming formats via Foobar on my server. I was also going to test the new Decware CD player with my DS as the Decware CD player has facilities to stream internet radio and the like....but Steve seems to be enjoying his quite a bit and I don't feel right asking to borrow it. LOL

If there is a free Demo period for Tidal, I might see if I can get it working with the Bridge II and report back.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #751 - 06/15/15 at 21:03:07

LR, I know you did. My machine was having so many anxiliary problems with the update that I wanted to get their official card to make sure all was copacetic this time. I may take you up on a similar offer next time if made.

I still wish they would wait longer to make a change. I don't like to keep swapping these things out.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #752 - 06/15/15 at 21:25:19

Quote:
I still wish they would wait longer to make a change. I don't like to keep swapping these things out.

I get that, but Ted is like Steve in that he works at the speed of inspiration and  discovery. If the audio gods decide to inspire him to try something that takes things to another level, then it happens.

It doesn't make sense to hold back on an improvement, just so people don't grumble about how quickly the improvements are coming!

And yes, I know you don't feel all the updates were improvements, but to Ted and crew, something about those updates were necessary enough for them to go ahead and release; rather than wait to combine in a future update.

I'm happy to send out one of my cards once I test the update on my rig. In fact, I'm going to peek into the beta forum now and see if it's available for me early.  LOL - I doubt it, since I believe Ted is on vacation right now.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #753 - 06/15/15 at 21:43:22

Well, I in turn get THAT, but don't necessarily agree it's the right thing for all customers in either case. But I've my perspective, others have theirs, I've been cognizant of that for some time, decades.

Right now listening to Flying Lotus "YOU'RE DEAD" and it sounds so good improvement shimprovement. Smiley Thanks about the card when the time comes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #754 - 06/16/15 at 03:31:18

LR...there is a 30 day trial for TIDAL.  I think someone else on the beta team mentioned he was streaming TIDAL.  I guess I don't have a good sense for how it all works.  I believe with the Aries you sign in directly to your TIDAL account via the software and it connects up.  If it's that straightforward with the bridge, that would be great.  

Is the B2 wireless?  If you can't answer, no worries.  That's another benefit of the Aries.  

Lon...I think it's awesome you have your system dialed in with Pikes Peak.  I think you may have more flexibility than those of us without a pre-amp.  In addition, you have greater tube rolling flexibility with the Torii (vs. the ZMA)  Luckily, we all have the flexibility to make these changes whenever we want (same applies to tube rolling, cables, etc).

I appreciate what both of you have shared regarding your individual journeys, so please keep the feedback coming...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #755 - 06/16/15 at 04:15:06

Quote:
Is the B2 wireless?  If you can't answer, no worries.  That's another benefit of the Aries.

No, it's basically a wired network card. It doesn't have its own OS or special interface or anything. It's just another input. A good sounding one, but it's not like it has its own web page and software.

To do Tidal on it, you need to use an external software of some sort. I'm asking around the Beta forum to see who's done it and how. The one user I'm thinking of, I believe he said he used Minimserver....which I happen to have, so I'll probably try it as well.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #756 - 06/16/15 at 14:04:00

Dave1210 wrote on 06/16/15 at 03:31:18:
Lon...I think it's awesome you have your system dialed in with Pikes Peak.  I think you may have more flexibility than those of us without a pre-amp.  In addition, you have greater tube rolling flexibility with the Torii (vs. the ZMA)  Luckily, we all have the flexibility to make these changes whenever we want (same applies to tube rolling, cables, etc).

It is interesting how the different amps shape our systems needs and how flexible we can be with them. I do relish and cherish the Torii Mk IIIs flexibility in both tube choices and types and tonal controls. These factors alone really changed my system approach.

As for Pike's Peak, I actually really like it directly in without the preamp--just due to the low output of one source using the preamp works better for my system usage. I didn't like Pike's Peak directly at first. (In using the CSP2+ I've worked at removing doubts in my mind about transparency, dynamic loss, etc.--if I fret about these I find myself finding examples to fret over, if I don't I find benefits in the sound and can really dial in a great fit for the system). Then I upgraded interconnects and day by day it sounded better. Either because of the interconnects or (as others have remarked on PS Audio forum) Pike's Peak changing/breaking in--likely it's both--the sound improved and I was still happy with it when I went back to 1.21 briefly to compare. So now I have the interconnects broken in, use the CSP2+ between DS and Torii and have excellent sound. (I hated to spend the big bucks on the interconnects but in retrospect I'm glad I did, they really have just gotten out of the way in a manner no others have before and I'm done on that front).

I'm really trying to fight this restless "I can get it to sound better" feeling that has been, for the most part, my digital listening experience. (I don't seem to have the same feeling when listening to vinyl, I love the sound, sink into it, and don't wonder about this or that changing things). So I wish PS Audio would wait another six months or a year before another update, so I can try harder to just sink into what is there (and sounds magnificent, no reason to change). But if wishes were horses there would be dung everywhere!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #757 - 07/03/15 at 11:24:19

The new "Yale" software is out and already getting good reviews.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #758 - 07/03/15 at 12:51:04

I installed Yale last night.  I had no issues with the download/installation and have been burning it in all night (with some classical music on repeat). My initial impression versus 1.21 is that the level of detail is much greater, soundstage grew wider and deeper and imaging was more precise.  I also noticed much improved space around instruments.  It did seem thinner to me initially, but we'll see after burn in.  Too early to make a call on fatigue or musicality for me.  I will report back.  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #759 - 07/03/15 at 22:44:20

Yale is what I've been waiting for - it's got the smoothness of 1.21, but the detail of Pikes Peak.

The added micro-detail adds so much to the sound - I'm absolutely in love with this new OS/Firmware. And it's set for the Bridge II, so I can now switch between USB and Bridge depending on my source and software (assuming I figure it all out - I've just been too busy listening)

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #760 - 07/03/15 at 22:53:43

Great, seems like a home run! Thanks for sharing your impressions.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #761 - 07/04/15 at 07:29:59

Remember how I wasn't sure if you'd like PP? I'm 100% sure you'll like Yale. It's way more intimate and emotional, the 3db lower background noise makes everything pop. It's such an improvement that it actually sounds louder!

Yeah, I'm happy.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #762 - 07/04/15 at 11:34:02

Sounds like I'll like it too. Since the entire system is going to be relocated next weekend there will be huge changes ahead!

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #763 - 07/04/15 at 13:10:01

I have been listening to Yale for about a day now and can say that I am really enjoying this OS.  The additional detail vs. 1.21 is nothing short of amazing and it's musically very engaging (the overall dryness and stridency in the highs are gone for me).  It solves all of the problems I had with Pikes Peak.  As far as I can tell, there is no ",but..."

Lon..I agree with Eric, since you have dialed in PP, I think you are really going to enjoy this OS.  From a frequency balance POV, I don't think it's warm, like 1.21.  I think it's neutral, very detailed, balanced and open.  It really opened up the sound stage for me.  Reminds me of the sound from a  very fast (not platter speed : ), clean sounding turntable (Rega RP6/8 comes to mind), with great liquidity and flow.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #764 - 07/04/15 at 13:24:21

Thanks Dave. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Reports are almost uniformly positive on the PS Audio forum, and I'm really enjoying Pike's Peak now, so this should be a nice little boost.

I'm so happy with my system now. . . but I will be dismantling it next weekend and setting it up in my next home, my fiancee Lucy's little house out in the woods. As the system I installed there sounds really good (PWT and PWD Mk 2, CSP2, modded C amp, HR-1, PS Audio Dectet) I expect great sound from my main system. . .not looking forward to the tear down and set up though.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #765 - 07/04/15 at 17:11:15

LR...I posted this over on the PS Audio forum and was curious what your thoughts were...I know you have this track...

Screen_Shot_2015-07-04_at_12_09_46_PM.png
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #766 - 07/09/15 at 20:57:49

New PS Audio DAC announced:

http://www.psaudio.com/nuwave-dsd/

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #767 - 07/09/15 at 22:14:14

That came out sooner than I thought. Paul listened to me. I said I don't need your preamp in your PS DSD. Give me your best for PCM (after you have tweaked firmware from what you have learned from that development for Redbook). DSD can piggy back in the structure....but insignificant.

....and price it correctly.  Wayla!

July - Stealth Audio Indra v8 IC
Late August - Torii Junior
October - SHOWDOWN between my ZDSD vs Yggdrasil DAC and the new PS DAC
I love this hobby!!

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #768 - 07/10/15 at 00:39:33

I really think, preamp or no, this is not going to sound as good as a DirectStream DAC. But it's a good product I bet.

I love my DirectStream maybe even more than you love your ZDSD. Smiley From my cold dead hands. . . . Don't need another DAC or to compare it to anything, I know I have what I like right in the system!

About to move my whole system. Anyone understand the anxiety I feel? I'm sure it will go well and I think it's going to sound great in my new home.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #769 - 07/10/15 at 01:47:02

I can imagine the anxiety Lon, I hope to never have to do that although a bigger room would be nice.

The ZDSD is awesome but the DS reigns supreme to my ears especially with the new update.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #770 - 07/10/15 at 04:01:50

Yes, I'm looking forward to the big room. And the lovely view (both Lucy my fiancee and the woods surrounding the house.)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #771 - 07/10/15 at 12:20:40

Yes, I'm looking forward to the big room. And the lovely view (both Lucy my fiancee and the woods surrounding the house.)

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #772 - 07/10/15 at 13:21:41

Moving is not fun. I've done it 3 times since 2011. Now, staying put for awhile. I'm in a small room and prefer it. Acoustically treated of course. Moving my Polk SRS SDA 1.2's (reside in my Solid State Rig), that are 6 feet tall and are 180 pounds each is no picnic!

Yes, I do love my Decware ZDSD/PCM!  Thus, why I canceled my Yggdrasil DAC order. I plan to have the opportunity of an Listening comparison of the Yggy, new PS DAC, PS Audio DSD DAC against my ZDSD/PCM with some gentlemen at the MN Audio Society. It will resume the 2015 season in October. Quid pro quo ~ they get to hear my Decware, with my awesome cabling and very awesome modified Acoustic Zen Adagio's.

I owned the PS Audio DSD DAC for PCM and I don't miss it (and yes I had enough hours on it). If I missed it, I would still own one. However, I would like to hear the latest firmware, etc...of Ted's...and I will (this fall an winter as stated at MN Audio Society from others that own these DAC's and more).

I even prefer my Sony DVD as a Transport vs. much pricier spread. I went through many to find this one. Sony/still makes the best laser pickups. Believe me, my Transport pisses people off. But, you got to do your homework to find the gems!

Anyway, I'm able to swing the Stealth Indra version 8 (used for a great price) & the new Jr., because of the stuff I sold this Spring. I have to cool my Jets for awhile after this......... Roll Eyes.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #773 - 07/10/15 at 14:10:20

We can agree to disagree on this: the DirectStream needs 500 to 600 hours of use to come alive. I don't understand why particularly (except perhaps that it is the transformers needing the time) but it is a very different animal after that and seasons even beyond those hours. I don't think you had that nearly long enough. I could be wrong, but it seems you had about a third that time on. You may still prefer the ZDSD, but I'm not really even tempted by that because the DS is just what I want and need; we hear things differently I think.

I CANNOT WAIT to be done with this near-field listening. Ugh. Suffered through it for years, I know how to make it sound amazing, but there's nothing like a bigger room for me, I just love the space and dynamics that brings for me.

Anyway, glad you're happy. I'm happy too. Happiness and great sound are often entwined for me. Happiness aligned with a great person in my life is the only real thing that trumps that. I'm blessed with both. I bet many of us here are. We're the lucky ones.

Moving sucks, agreed. I moved a three bedroom house from Texas 27 months ago and I swear I'm still aching physically and financially from that. And now I'm moving again, and having to decide what to put in storage, and more than 2/3 of my stuff is going into storage currently. So I'm hoping to move again in the next three or four years, into a bigger house, in the same neighborhood because Lucy loves that barely populated neighborhood full of trees and streams and a lake, and so do I. If not. . .well. . . I can't pay storage forever and will have to do away with much of my music and book collections and that would HURT. We'll see. I just have one more week to get through and then. . . I should be able to rest and relax. The system gets boxed and moved and set up tomorrow.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #774 - 07/10/15 at 14:47:21

Yeah, you're probably right Lon about the Direct Stream. I look forward to hearing it again with the 1.21, Pikes Peak and what ever Ted cooks up from now until Oct/November. Plus, it has been a few years since I've been to the Pavek Museum to hear the big Movie Theater Western Electric Horn Speakers and reacquaint myself with the ASocietyofM guys.
https://sites.google.com/site/audiosocietyofminnesota/
.....looks like I'll be going September 15th - not October....sweet!

I get my Large Room fix from my Solid State Rig. However, I might move a Decware Amp down there with movable ERRx's/Mundorf gold/silver oils....they are still on my radar for sure. Lon, don't you have two pair of HR1's....want to sell me a pair?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #775 - 07/10/15 at 14:54:38

Stone, I may be selling components from three systems that I have other than my main system. . . right now I'm focusing on other things but I may sell my first pair of HR-1s and my ERRs and several amps and several sources and a lot of cabling. Will be some weeks from now before I have a sense of what I'll be selling. . . .

My hesitation in selling in the speakers is mainly shipping them. Even with the excellent original packaging one HR-1 was damaged on the way to me. I just hate to ship them. We'll see.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #776 - 07/10/15 at 15:10:58

Great Lon, please do let me know what you decide on the HR-1's or ERR's. Since it is going to cost me $180 to $250 insured to have the pair shipped to me (and possible shipping damage).......I'd be willing to spend that in gas instead and road trip with my gal Sue...and meet you somewhere in OH.

I realize this is some weeks down the road/you getting settled and deciding what to sell. Thanks in advance for considering me for a pair of your Speakers.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #777 - 07/10/15 at 17:10:01

Quote:
I don't understand why particularly (except perhaps that it is the transformers needing the time) but it is a very different animal after that and seasons even beyond those hours.

I flat out asked Ted about this - and he sounded somewhat skeptical of break in, but admits that the parts used are way overbuilt for the heat signature of the DirectStream - so it will take much, much longer for them to "normalize" - which I guess means to burn off anything from the manufacturing process and settle down to a steady state.  He also had some tips to speed up the process, but the gist is to just use it and leave it on all the time (Note: Paul said it's on all the time if it's plugged in - so when you shut it off from the remote or front switch, it's still on, but the display is powered down. This keeps it warmed and ready unless you unplug it or flip the power switch on the back)

Lon, keep me in mind for your audio garage sale.  I have a second system I'll be developing using a little Eico amp I have on the way.   Smiley

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #778 - 07/11/15 at 01:29:31

Lars, Eric, I'll keep you posted when the dust settles and I figure out what I'm doing equipment wise!

I didn't get as much done as I thought I would today but that's mainly because I have to carry a box up twelve steps to the deck and then across the house and up ten steps to the upstairs, one at a time, and fill bookcases that I have to haul up there too. Tiring! I'm still at it, the cargo van is not yet empty! And I'm tired and sore.

Here's a satelite pic of my new surroundings. So sylvan!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/11358+Brookside+Rd,+Chardon,+OH+44024/@41.5528...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #779 - 07/11/15 at 02:20:15

Lon,  I'm tired and sore just reading your description.  I really think you and Lucy need to get busy and plant some more trees.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #780 - 07/11/15 at 17:51:36

That's my first priority! Too bad pecan trees can't handle the weather, I miss the four I had in Austin.

Back at my place having set up all the bookcases and unboxed 36 of the 62 boxes I brought out that trip into the bookcases. After a few errand like things it's time to take apart the stereo. Gulp.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #781 - 07/14/15 at 19:59:38

Steve Hoffman's post on DirectStream Yale:

"Just wanted to mention the new sonic upgrade for the DirectStream DAC called "Yale." Named after the 14,000 foot Colorado peak, Mt. Yale.

So far, I'm noticing an even more palpable soundstage, more sonic detail in the ambient decay, always the weak point of digital playback. A tiny bit more body to the sound, probably to compensate for the complaint that some folks found the earlier "Pike's Peak" a little austere/thin.. Noise level is phenomenally low.

So, all good! Happy."

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ps-audio-directstream-dac-perfectwave-memo...

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #782 - 07/30/15 at 16:45:59

TAS gives Paul and Ted top honors:
"PS Audio DirectStream DAC $6000 Sometimes it’s good to start over from scratch when designing a new component. That’s what designer Ted Smith did—he started with the idea that DSD recordings sound good and designed a DAC around that premise. Not satisfied with commercial chips, software guru Smith began with a field programmable gate array (FPGA), a digital blank slate. He fashioned the FPGA into a DAC that converted all incoming PCM files to DSD128 files, then decoded them with a 24dB-per-octave low-pass filter (LPF) that has far less harmful sonic impact than typical brickwall PCM filters. PS Audio’s Paul McGowan heard a prototype, loved it, and agreed to build it. VF thought it was easily the best digital sound he’d heard, but the DAC needed lots—probably 500 hours—of breakin. While the DirectStream DAC sounded fantastic with high-resolution music files, perhaps its most notable accomplishment was how it sounded with plain old Red Book sources. Even though the original product sounded superb to VF, one of the benefits of using an FPGA is that it can be reprogrammed to upgrade the sound, and through PS Audio’s website, Smith has issued several revisions to the DirectStream DAC’s firmware and operating system, each time making marked improvements. These updates are easily installed from an ordinary SDHC memory card. There’s no reason to think additional upgrades beyond the current Pikes Peak operating system won’t be forthcoming. So what started as an excellent DAC continues to get even better. And it doesn’t cost owners anything for the upgrades, if they choose to go with downloads. How’s that for customer support?"

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #783 - 07/31/15 at 20:22:31

Seems the final, "official" version of Yale OS is up and available.

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/yale-final-impressions/#p...

Getting very positive comments.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #784 - 07/31/15 at 21:16:51

I'll grab it and test it tonight. Assuming it loads fine for me, I can send out a memory card for you tomorrow.

~Eric~

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #785 - 07/31/15 at 22:07:06

Lonely Raven wrote on 07/31/15 at 21:16:51:
I'll grab it and test it tonight. Assuming it loads fine for me, I can send out a memory card for you tomorrow.

~Eric~

No big hurry, but thanks!

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #786 - 08/01/15 at 00:36:05

Installed and burning in while we are out to dinner.  Looking forward to listening later tonight.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #787 - 08/01/15 at 15:41:41

I didn't get a chance to load up Yale last night - just got to it this morning. Warming up the gear with my Demo tunes, but was only 10 seconds in and it already sounds great.

Now, I thought Ted had said that the difference between Yale Beta and Final release was just going to be a version number (meaning really no changes from his point of view). Either he got some motivation and squeezed the next batch of changes into this update, or they just found one version of the Final that happened to sound better than the rest.

In the PSA forums, I'm seeing words like more liquid, quieter, PRaT is back etc. It certainly sounds even more analog to me - Listening to Alt-J A Perfect Wave right now, and it's quite a dynamic, eclectic album that can be hard to handle in one sitting - I'm just not feeling that fatigue I used to from trying to plow through the whole album.

I'm reading through the forums now, hoping Paul and/or Ted will chime in saying what and how much was done, because this does to me sound even better than Yale Beta.

~Eric~

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #788 - 08/01/15 at 16:29:09

Way Cool!

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #789 - 08/01/15 at 18:34:22

As far as I can tell, this is the great intersection of the amazing detail of Pikes Peak with the musical/analog feel of 1.21.  I still need to listen more and for an extended period of time, but I haven't gotten any fatigue (like I did with Pikes Peak).  In fact, just the opposite, I was pulled into the music last evening and missed some of the dirty looks I was getting for it being too loud, too late.  That's a good sign.  Well mostly  ;)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #790 - 08/11/15 at 16:22:03

I'm listening to Yale Final now as well (thanks Eric). I agree Dave, seems to have what I liked most about Pike's Peak and what I liked most about 1.21 in a seamless fit. It's fascinating what these firmware changes can bring about!

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #791 - 08/12/15 at 02:53:24

Lon, I am glad you are enjoying the new firmware.  I think it's the best yet.  No issues for me with this one.  It's nice that Ted has more up his sleeve too.  I know you moved your system recently and I hope the tunes are sounding awesome.  Enjoy!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #792 - 08/12/15 at 13:17:07

The room is so different here in the new place and I'm still perfecting speaker placement, but yes, things sound great here, now, and after a few weeks of no system, I'm so happy to have this new big room AND the time to listen more.

Yale Final continues to sound very good.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #793 - 08/12/15 at 21:08:41

That's great to hear, Lon!

Just ease into your new life.  :)

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #794 - 08/13/15 at 15:36:41

You guys are my Beta testers!  Go Yale/update!

https://sites.google.com/site/audiosocietyofminnesota/

I will be at the first meeting, Sept. 15th/joining once again, the ASM!

A half a dozen guys at ASM, have the PS (or more, and the other half-the Vega)....and I know some of them have not heard a ZMA....so, I should be able to get one or two to bring the PS over.

Putting my Auralic Vega vs. the PS, will be fun. IT's not about one is better than the other...it is about preference. Who knows, maybe I sell my Vega and get the PS DAC...with Yale and continue down that path?
However, the preamp in the Vega might be hard to beat?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #795 - 08/13/15 at 15:59:27

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZDSD.html

Oh, and Steve's awesomely musical modified ZDSD will be in the rotation!

Yeah, some of the ASM guys can be a tad snobby (they might read this), but overall, most are pretty open minded. I'm not PC/towing the corporate audio line, so I will get in anyone of their faces about my DECWARE...and tell them to come have a listen. I suppose they could lie to themselves....but that will be there problem. The ones that are open minded....we learn from each other......and it really does come down to musicality/involvement, with preferences of playback reproduction/Gear.  NOT INSTITUTIONAL Faceplates...on the Gear.

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder (@ -20 Ref Level @ 16/176.4)

AURALiC Vega D/A processor.....coming!

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC .....for Input Tube)
WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
***NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 positions***

Kimber Select KS3033 Speaker Cable
Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/120 ~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #796 - 08/23/15 at 17:32:57

Nearly two weeks in, very happy with Yale Final. Just very well-rounded, nice balance between detail and musicality. Everything sounds great. .. DVR, Blu-ray, Redbook via PWT. Forgot all about analyzing a week ago and just have settled back to listening and watching.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #797 - 08/24/15 at 01:05:49

Lon,

+1 on the Yale final, it's the best firmware update yet. Also, I just put in the new bridge II yesterday and of course flawless, gapless playback but I swear it sounds better.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #798 - 08/24/15 at 23:25:47

+1.  Yale Final is awesome.  I haven't had any urge at all to switch back to 1.21 (Pikes didn't work for me).  

I can't wait for the next update (further lowering of the noise floor).  It's my understanding that Ted already knows what he is going to do (it's just a matter of finding the time to do it).  

Happy listening amigos!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #799 - 08/27/15 at 23:30:41

Interesting comment found on the PS Audio forum:

The DirectStream is mentioned in Anthony Cordesman's review of the $25,000 Burmester MC151 Music Center in this month's Absolute Sound. I'd like to share this passage:

"PS Audio's new DirectStream DAC is far more competitive with the Burmester, particularly with its firmware upgrades. It does cost $5999, but there are many more expensive units that don't sound as good—and there are solid reasons for paying for this quality of player. I do prefer a *slightly* warmer acoustic in both recordings and concert halls than the Direct Stream provides. I'm a mid-hall listener when it comes to live music; I don't want the kind of nearfield or immersive sound that I feel hardens the upper midrange of strings, brass, woodwinds or voice. The DirectStream has, however, gotten steadily better in all of these areas with firmware upgrades. It now pushes the envelope in digital sound quality…..I'd still pick the Burmester for bass detail and energy, and for the musical realism of strings, brass, woodwinds and female voice on the best recordings. The margin, however, is not great. Both do very well with low-level musical information, and massed strings, choral music, soundstage detail."

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Send Topic Print