Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 11:33:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My new Select With...Bias Meters! (Read 11269 times)
AlexR
Verified Member

My new Select With...Bias Meters!
06/26/13 at 22:13:36

Thought you guys might be interested, so here is a link to a thread on a different forum about my new Select (with black-crackle finish and bias meters!):

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/decware-super-zen-triode-amp-has-arrived-f...

Thanks to Steve for this awesome amp, and congrats on the new grand-baby!

AlexR   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: My new Select With...Bias Meters!
Reply #1 - 06/27/13 at 02:37:46

You'll have to contain your surprise and enthusiasm until we find out what the hell happened here. What a nice surprise!

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 06/27/13 at 13:34:40

I still scratch my head over the meters and wonder why they're there or necessary, but that's a fine looking amp and even more . . . I bet it's going to continue to sound amazing until it reaches its mind-blowing plateau of broken in excellence!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/27/13 at 20:48:23

Wouldn't the benefits of meters on this amp be the same as on the Rachel? https://www.decware.com/newsite/SE34I.htm

They let you know the condition of the tubes as they warm up and level off.  And they let you know if you're nearing distortion by wavering.  

That's my guess.

Both are self biasing amps.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 06/27/13 at 21:05:00

I have ears that tell me that. Smiley

Anyway, I initially had "meter envy" but I'm over it. Love my Toriis and don't see ordering any of the amps with meters.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 06/27/13 at 23:09:52

I can't imagine your reaction when you saw the meters staring back at you when it was unboxed.  Talk about a shocker!!  Very cool though that you have an original on your hands.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
AlexR
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 06/28/13 at 03:38:32

Thanks, all! I'm loving the sound, even though its not fully broken in yet. The bass is incredible on this thing.

And yeah, the meters were a big surprise. I'm assuming they're there to indicate tube failure, but it would also be nice if they told me when I'm clipping. So far they stay one click above 20 without moving when turned on. Tomorrow when the family is awake I'll crank it and see if the needles move.  

AlexR   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #7 - 06/28/13 at 16:02:56

If a tube fails, you won't need meters to tell you !
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/12/13 at 19:39:23

SE34I.3 versus a Mini Torii?

It seems that a Mini Torii has a better chance of taming a bright high end (due to tube rolling and the treble adjustment).

But does the SE34I.3 some better (all things being equal)?

Also, will you save money on replacement tubes as the MINI Torii tubes are reported to last much longer.

Any comments?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 07/12/13 at 19:52:10

I haven't heard the Mini-Torii. I've never been drawn to it, don't like it's little size and I've not been fond of the 6V6 tube type in the past.

In the past I did have the Integrated, the model before this one. I LOVED it. Get the treble circuit added if it does not now come stock. It has just the right amount of warmth and it has great speed and detail and is very musical. If I hadn't a large room to fill and fallen in love with the Radial speaker line which needed just a bit more power, I'd still have it. I love my Torii amps, but there's some bit of magic the Integrated had that I'll always treasure.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print