04/28/24 at 13:26:32 

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23
Send Topic Print
The MYSTERY AMP ! (Read 100448 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: The MYSTERY AMP !
Reply #550 - 01/18/14 at 17:29:13

Yeah, I know what you mean.  He is an Artist and a Master but also a business man.  So I figure he doesn't really mind so long as the information gets out there one way or another.  What he really needs is a clone!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #551 - 01/20/14 at 16:48:01

My ZMA ships today!

I looked up my Super Zen CKC Tracking number (11-14-12)....which took 2 business days to arrive (11-16). So, I expect it Wednesday by 5 pm.

It would have went out on Friday, but genius here, dropped his available credit below what was needed for the Amp. Sarah kindly called and I got it squared away and paid for on Friday....but missed their UPS guy/gal, at 4 pm when I called and took care of.

Anyway, TMI I know. I am just happy to finally get the ZMA. I will report back on Sunday, for those interested, after 3 or 4 days of initial Listening with 30 hours on it.

System for ZMA:

Room is 9' x 11'
Acoustically treated/Michael Greene Room Tunes & Home Brew 18" x 30" open filter panels = 18 of them.
System Tri-configured on floor (no rack) on flat shelves/on full carpeted room/floor underneath-concrete ...Townsend CD Seismic Sync under digital Audio Alchemy components ...XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA ...Adcom AC-enhancer 515 ...all four components plugged into it...has sequential on off start & shut down

Sony DVD Player as Transport
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro32 (Set at 20 bit dither)
i2s Prophecy Cryo Digital (sends music 20 bit dither signal separate from clock signal in which it also sends to DAC)
Audio Alchemy v3.0 DAC (dual ladder DACS-w/remote wand volume/adjustable voltage output/driving directly into ZMA)
Kimber Select 1030 interconnect coax/RCA
ZEN MYSTERY AMPLIFIER
Kimber Select 3035 Speaker Cable
Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1 Loud Speakers

-Stone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #552 - 01/20/14 at 17:01:37

Congrats! Looking forward to your enthusiastic impressions.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #553 - 01/20/14 at 22:28:03

You bet, Lon.

Indeed, I now have two tracking numbers in hand (Tubes & Amp). Fortunately, I am only two days ground shipping away. So, getting her in out of the cold and in to my cozy warm Listening Room Wednesday evening...should be the story.    -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #554 - 01/20/14 at 22:31:43

You know, wouldn't that make an interesting access cable channel show? Audiophiles receiving amps or speakers or sources or cables they've waited weeks or months for and watching them unpack, install, those agonizing first moments of listening full of excitement tinged with worry. . . will this be what they expected? will it be worth the wait and the expense?

Most of the populace would slap their thighs with laughter at those silly nuts and their ridiculous toys. But a select few would watch and think to themselves. . . "I'm not alone."

Cheesy

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #555 - 01/21/14 at 00:29:22

Lon, you pretty much described how I see the show Doomsday Preppers. LOL

Had a meet up with Palomino today at his place. Put the ZMA in it's magic box and rolled it into his lair for what I guess is the second meeting of the Chicago Decware Appreciation Society (CDAPS).  ;D  

I mixed up some whiskey old fashioned cocktails  and he played some of his demo tunes to show off his speakers and the sound treatment he's done to his room. I have to say, his room just kills mine - and his DIY speakers sound *fantastic*!

After playing his Rachel we spent the rest of the day listening to my ZMA #000. Without me prompting him, he confirmed just about everything I think about the amp. It's got balls - it's accurate and has nice harmonics - and it's still a bit dry and needs more burning in. The ZMA really made the soundstage/image snap into focus. Really made me feel like this was money well spent!

Also, played half the day without tube dampers, then popped them on for the second half. Palomino felt there was a clear improvement with the dampers - again, pretty much had the same notes I did after a listen. I lent him the HAL-O III dampers off my old Zen amp to see how they work with his Rachel - I hope to hear back about those later this week. So far everyone that has listened to the dampers has herd the sharpening effect they have...and at this point I think they have solidly proved themselves as *not* snake oil.   Grin

A very enjoyable day for the Chicago Decware Appreciation Society (CDAPS) overall!   Cool

Now to work out why my room doesn't sound half as good as his....

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #556 - 01/21/14 at 01:17:05

Sounds like a nice get together.

In fact, it's playing now on Access Channel 12. Smiley

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #557 - 01/21/14 at 06:17:14

We can skip Cable Access Lon. Grin

http://www.theconlincompany.com/
Lets take it big time to my girlfriends sister's company!!  8-)    If we test out/she will run by the Exec's at FOX.... .  We were out in LA last May and this was all pretty cool fun.

The GF surprised me with Plane Tic's to Vegas for my birthday coming up. We will go to Gordon Ramsey's Vegas Pub & Grill. I am a bit of foody.

Anyway, the journey continues.
I have had quite a few audio experiences through my Listening Room this past year: Primaluna Dialogue Five Amp, PWT & PWDII, Zu Audio Union, Klipsch (2 pr), NAD M51 DAC, Moon W5.3 SE Amplifier Solid State. Of course, two years ago....I had the Torii III as well, for 3 months. From my experience with the Primaluna & the Moon W5.3 Amp...I think I will like the virtues of the ZMA. However, instead of just 3 months.....it will need a good year of experiences with burn in, to fully grasp...as will my Torii IV.

I look forward to this years chapter's with the ZMA coming Wednesday & Torii IV coming in April... . For Speakers this year? I am considering Omega's, Audio Nirvana or Steve's new ERRx. I first need to enjoy my Anthony Gallo 3.1's that are begging for the ZMA.    Cheers, Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #558 - 01/21/14 at 18:21:44

Yes, great CDAPS meeting yesterday.  A firsthand experience with the ZMA in my room with my speakers and my interconnects.  Pretty cool.

Pretty easy setting up the ZMA.  As Raven has said in the past, the biasing seemed pretty easy.  He did adjust once during the 2.5 hour session once the amp had warmed up.

Straight out of the Pelican box, I was feeling pretty good about the sound out of my Rachael.    But once the ZMA warmed up, it pulled away steadily and quite frankly, never looked back.

Yes, more grunt, but I think that is too simplistic a word to describe the ZMA.  The ZMA has more power through the range of frequencies, but its not just louder.  In fact, I was somewhat surprised that it wasn't that much louder than the Rachael.  Instead, I felt that notes were fuller and had more attack and decay because the additional power pushes out that detail.  But the detail from one instrument did not get in the way of the others.  Instead, I felt it had better focus and imaging.  It seems to have "well applied power" that makes for a fuller, more satisfying listening experience.  I can say I felt I was getting everything with the ZMA.  Nothing not presented or held back.

So in terms of "liquid honesty," the honesty part is already there.  You get the whole satisfying truth and nothing but that truth.  But it has a  that new amp sound right now.  If that turns liquid (which I suspect it will in a few months) then it is truly a refined music producing machine.

Again, my frame of reference is a Rachael, so a MKIII or MKIV listener may note more subtle differences.  I can't make the leap to a ZMA anytime soon, but the audition does leave me trying to figure out a way to get closer to that sound.  Running my Rachaels as monos?  A used MkIII?

P.S. we switched power cords without turning the amp off and it barely noticed.  Those caps are monsters.

P.S.S Raven makes a great old fashioned.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #559 - 01/22/14 at 19:22:00

Yeah, you said it so much better than I did, but that's my feelings exactly.

I had my friend Jason over - he's got an original SE84C-A like mine, but completely stock except for new tubes I bought him as a birthday gift 6-7 years ago. He's been my listening buddy for 15+ years and the guy I go to in order to double-check what I think I'm hearing. (though we are in a very subjective field, the scientific method requires that all results get checked by your peers - LOL)

He was pretty harsh on the ZMA, much more than I was. I was expecting him to be blown away, but he really made the ZMA work for it's space on the rack. He confirmed everything Palomino said above, but kept saying how he hopes the high end smooths out as it burns in. I think he's spoiled by the smoothness of our well burned in Zen amps and probably has a sensitivity to treble like some of you here have mentioned. So what I've been calling "dry high end" he just flat out thought was harsh. He was thoroughly impressed with everything else the ZMA did, but said he wanted to hear it again in a few months after I get a few hundred hours on it. Great recordings sounded great, recordings with rough high-end sounded rough to him.

This album is getting a lot of playtime as an excellent and dynamic demo disc by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZoQSThtD6s&list=PLC47C58748772D11B

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #560 - 01/22/14 at 20:20:58

Interesting.

That's exactly the fear I have of moving to an amp without a treble cut circuit. I heard back from Steve about the treble cut circuit on the ZMA:

I'm not positive I can pull off a treble cut on the Mystery Amp, but if I spent enough time on it, I am 95% sure of success.  It might be better to implement it in a preamp or switchbox, that way you would have one no matter what amps you used.

So that's another expense for that and cables, etc. And I need more inputs on the amp as well.  

I'm listening to the clear and dynamic sound of my Torii Mk III right now and remarking "Don't worry my friend, you're not going anywhere."

PS: Your pal has been using the same tubes for six years?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #561 - 01/22/14 at 20:38:46

Quote:
PS: Your pal has been using the same tubes for six years?

Yeah, and the previous set for probably 8 years before that!

I gave him a fresh input tube to try out recently, but I think he just really likes the sounds he's getting so he doesn't want to change anything. His setup is still running well enough that when I gave him a box of my DIY cables, plus Decware Silver Reference, and a Monster...I don't know, something expensive - his notes upon returning the cables were 95% the same as mine on the same cables. So apparently his system is working well enough!

I guess these military tubes have a long life than we give them credit for!

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #562 - 01/22/14 at 20:41:11

Lon, doesn't the MK IV has the treble cut, so maybe that's the amp for you rather than the Mystery amp.

Unless you want to buy a ZMA and let me break it in for you till the treble blossoms.   I figure it should only take about 5 years or so.   Grin

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #563 - 01/22/14 at 20:52:38

Well, I bet he'd get better extension of the frequencies with new tubes at this point. I never really know when it's time for new tubes unless there's distortion or I compare with new tubes.

I see no reason to move to the Mk IV. From reports it's similar, not radically different, and doesn't have the same bass controls as one of my Mk IIIs. . . not worth the money to upgrade and re-season an amp all over again.

If I were unhappy with the Mk III or needed more power I'd have to consider the ZMA or the Monos as only Decware will do. . . . Neither is the case.  I don't have the money that I should spend anyway, and now I don't need to try to sell a lot of things. If the amp were dramatically more amazing I'd be more tempted, but it sounds to me as if the Mk III fits my needs best, and is a bird in hand.

I'm jumping off the temptation wagon. Wink

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #564 - 01/22/14 at 23:53:07

Well, the Eagle has landed!  -ZMA-

Anyway, I spoke with Steve today and complemented him on the beauty of this Amp!  The pictures on the web site and LR's pic's, don't do it justice. Very nice. Furthermore, all screws, fit and finish...are all there. Everything secure and tight.

I called him about the Taps...usually, you have a 4ohm, 8ohm pos. and one neg. I just wanted to make sure they "paired". The inner pair, when standing over the Amp is the 4ohm....outer pair near the RCA input is 8ohm=this is correct. Not to get hung up on....I'll be trying both. The nature of the winding of the Tranny's Steve spoke of... . So, 2 & 2....not 2pos. & 1neg.

Anyway, just two minor quibbles.  I did not get my Stepped Attenuator!
Anywho, I told Steve, I am not sending it back to have it done. I will call Sarah tomorrow and have her credit me. Granted, Steve admits, he likes it, can make things a little warmer with the resistor used in the 20 increment Step Attenuation...but I am fine with the killer transparency of the carbon pot!

However, as we discussed, I want the Stepped Attenuator on my Torii IV coming in April...for the best comparison I can discern...being two different Amplifiers. The 2nd quibble is a little plastic gramut out of the bunch of three that was missing-located between the Left RCA input and the positive 8 ohm Speaker input. Other than that, as I mentioned above....beautiful, beautiful Amplifier. I will square up with Sarah tomorrow about the Attenuator and have her send one of the gramuts too. The ZMA is to sweet...not to be perfect. The Pelican case was killer too. I will seriously use it as a piece of checked Luggage.

Now the sound! Well, let me start by saying, after I hung up the phone with Steve...he is busy I did not want to keep him...I forgot to ask about the biasing?  No online manual yet, but I remembered LR's (Eric's) post about it being set at 60...and how to bias & balance. I reviewed that and got it all dialed in.

I did call back though before I remembered Eric's post...and Sarah misunderstood me a little. I am glad Steve did not call me back. I did blow the fuse when I first turned it on....plugged in the Spare that came with it...and was good to go. I thought it was one of the 0A3's at first or worse, in the way it flashed...but it was fine. Always, check the fuse first before jumping to conclusions.

Anyway, the sound, with all of 3 hours on it! Dynamic, detailed and so not Solid State. However, with 300 hours to go...till it is really there...but right now, I concur with LR & his buddy Jason's assessment.

Cheers, back to the Listening Room...with a Summit Pale Ale.   -Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #565 - 01/23/14 at 01:12:39

Congrats Stone! Enjoy!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #566 - 01/23/14 at 02:01:17

You bet Lon. This Amp is pure fun. But, it needs a long, long burn in for sure... .

Harmonics are there...but overall dry presentation right now. I know, I said in a previous post...I would put 30 hours on it before I would comment.....you know that was not going to happen  ::).

Anyway, .....I will now go for the 30 - 40 hours before I return. LR, I wish Steve kept the blue lights in the Bias/Balance Meter's. I did not see them in yours and I don't have them. He must have decided not to go with....obviously....but he had to go do it/we saw it....when showing us the build/design process....now I want them.  ;D  ....he can't be doing that!   -Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #567 - 01/23/14 at 03:25:33

I officially disavow any knowledge of blue LEDs in or around any such devices known heretofore as ZMA, AKA Zen Mystery Amp, AKA the Mystery Amp.

lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #568 - 01/23/14 at 18:55:08

I just ordered my mystery amp, upgrading from but not getting rid of a Torii MK3. Anyone else taken this path? I would like hear your thoughts.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #569 - 01/23/14 at 19:51:10

I'll be comparing my torii3 to the ZMA when it arrives.

Lately, my Torii is sounding so very good.  It sounds fantastic.  

It's as if the Torii knows the ZMA is coming...and it's on it's best behavior  :)

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #570 - 01/23/14 at 20:53:22

heard the Torii  IV, III, ZMA and mono's at zenfest... I'm with you llance... I might see a ZMA in my future... but my Torii3's not going anywhere in the foreseeable future - pure sonic nirvana.  Honest-to-God... I'm afraid to touch anything in my main system these days, it's never sounded better and I'm afraid I'll futz it up!
Grin

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
stellablues
Verified Member

Reply #571 - 01/24/14 at 00:13:49

You guys are killing me with this torii III talk. I am buying my ZMA but have never heard any decware product ... perhaps I should have purchased a used mk III first and waited a few years to see how the ZMA reviews came out... argh.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #572 - 01/24/14 at 00:29:20

I called Sarah today to check on the status of my Mystery amp (002) and it looks like it's going to be another 2+ weeks to finish the build.  They are waiting on a batch of caps to come in.  I had a funny feeling the last stretch was going to seem like forever...

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #573 - 01/24/14 at 00:35:49

Stellablues-  Don't worry too much, there is enough of a Decware signature common to them all, and it's really tasty.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #574 - 01/24/14 at 16:27:25

I got a Lemon ZMA so far.

It constantly & consistently blows fuses. It was to ship with 6 amp fuses...it came with two fives. I have tried 6 amp fuses as well=still blows the fuse. The Torii uses 5's ....ZMA uses 6's. Obviously, a better final QC checklist needs to take place when you're shelling out 5K.

I spoke with Steve/he recommended the 6's=and I sent an email mid-day yesterday. No response to the email that went directly to Sarah and flagged. So, of course I know she received it.

The ZMA will run periodically, but when you shut it off after a Listening session and turn back on for your next session, it will blow the fuse.

This should have been caught on the test bench...using multiple different outlets! Of course, I trouble shot my whole System and all is working 1st class.  

I will drop another $10 to $15 bucks today on 7 & 8 amp fuses....and see what happens.  ....pissed off-Stone....Amp is extremely truncated and grainy in the highs...and absolutely has no bass...with 14 hours on it. It would have 35 hours on it by now...but it keeps blowing fuses...so it might have other issues too!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #575 - 01/24/14 at 16:37:35

I'm sorry to hear that brother. Sounds like an electronic fault. I'm not sure I would put bigger fuses in it unless Steve recommends it. That sounds like it needs to go back to figure out where the fault is.

I'm pretty sure mine has 5 amp fuse BTW - no popping issues. So something electrical is probably faulty. Maybe one of the caps went bad? Or a regulator tube is shorting?

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #576 - 01/24/14 at 17:38:36

Bummer Stone! Not sure I'd do the 7 or 8 amp fuses either. . . but I know how much you wish that would work!

Hope it gets resolved without the amp taking a trip on back.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #577 - 01/24/14 at 21:43:10

Actually, the ZMA is spec'd out for a 5 amp fuse... but I told my guys to ship it with a 6 amp just to be safe since the big red caps take a while to fully form.  Sadly they did not, but apparently it wouldn't have made any difference.  It worked well here having never blown a 5 amp fuse during the 12 times it was cycled at various stages of the testing/listening.  I listened to it personally and it was not bass shy or etched.  

The fact that the amp works once you get it going means the turn on surge is what causes the fuse to blow.  Perhaps the freezing temperatures during shipping irritated the caps.  We will see if the the 7 or 8 amp fuse blows.  If they do I recommend getting the amp back here so we can find out why.  You will then have the option to walk away without a restock fee or have us send it back to you repaired and reset the 30 day trial on our dime.  If the 7 or 8 watt fuses do work, I would expect that after 30 days a 5 amp could be installed without further issues.

If you patients holds out just know we always make it right.  

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #578 - 01/25/14 at 03:16:43

Hey Stone,

Don't give up on it work through the problems in the end you will be very happy you did I believe and thank yourself for being patient. I hope to have one myself someday. Its not very far from where your at now to Steve's shouldn't take to long to get her back. If it stay's this cold I would probably follow Steve's advice and try to keep on using it and hope Steve's hunch is right. Sorry to see you having all of these problems that's usually my luck in life almost guaranteed.

Good Luck!

Cool

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #579 - 01/25/14 at 04:16:01

Steve, the 7 amp fuse is working! I cycled through the ZMA 6 times with no fuse blow. I apologize for my over reaction. Especially, when I had not tried the 7 amp fuse yet. I will put the 5 amp back in, as you suggested in 30 to 40 days. It seems to be those cold Caps.

I have to say, she is sounding fuller, just waxing and waning like the CKC and III did. I will exercise patients moving forward.

Digger, I usually have pretty good luck. Sometimes though, I engage my mouth before putting my brain in gear.  ::)  -Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #580 - 01/25/14 at 13:10:35

I would probably have had a little "the sky is falling" moment in your situation too. $5K and the seemingly endless anticipation of getting the amp and all.  Happy it worked out.  Have fun with your new toy.

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #581 - 01/25/14 at 15:03:35

Stone,
     I understand what your saying. I had an issue with my CSP3+ and have to say kind of panicked do to not having previous dealings with Steve and company. It was a internal problem not obvious from UPS rough handling and Steve found it and made every thing good. I hung in there and worked through the problems and now have full trust in Decware and Steve making things right. I don't blame you for panicking a bit 5 g's isn't spare change that most of us just have laying around its huge for me also. I am so happy I hung in there with my CSP3+. I don't feel I would of ever been satisfied with another product that would of replaced it. I love my CSP3+ and its voicing makes everybody elses equipment sound good so I can't imagine what owning a dedicated Decware amp would do for my listening pleasure. Hopefully someday I can find out.

Cool

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #582 - 01/25/14 at 17:53:37

For those who don't know or haven't seen it, this is the case that Steve ships the Mystery Amp in. It's made by Pelican - it's airline approved for transport of fragile gear and weapons. It's got a pressure valve to balance the internal air pressure when it's in the cargo hold of a plane. They call it nearly indestructible - it's the real deal in gear protection. Yet Steve told me he's had shippers manage to crack them and damage the gear inside!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #583 - 01/25/14 at 19:01:49

This Pelikan case also ships with the Torii amps. I have one.

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #584 - 01/27/14 at 00:52:42

I have a brief case size Pelican case for my Mac Mini and accessories. They are top flight protection. Only thing you could do I guess is jacket the whole thing with stainless steel armor.

Anyone remember the Samsonite luggage gorilla commercial from the 70's? This is the picture that comes to mind when you say they damaged the amps in these Pelican cases.

Back to your regularly scheduled program. Wink

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #585 - 01/27/14 at 20:53:39

Really minor update ~ 60 hours on the amp.

Trying out some regulator tubes. I've been trying to find some that glow blue, simply for the *blue* - I've got a pile of NOS JAN VR90 I'm testing that all burn purple - I'll keep a pair for myself and sell the rest in the forums for cheap so keep an eye out or ping me if you want/need some.

Was listening to Fleetwood Mac Rumors 24/96 while writing someone who asked me about the Mystery Amp via E-mail, and the music kept distracting me! That's a hugely good sign.

Next morning, was feeling terrible, decided to just chill in my favorite chair and listen to music quietly and let the cold medicine kick in. Was playing the Hackers soundtrack - a disc I've played hundreds of times since it's release in 1995 - and even at low level volumes I was catching sounds that I'd never heard before! How is that friggen possible when I've been listening to the Zen Amp all these years!

The only thing I can figure is that the ZMA reproduces sounds across the whole spectrum evenly and equally; nothing is really overpowering anything else  which I think was the case with the Zen amp. When things got too dynamic, the little Zen amp would trip over itself a bit to get the music out, whereas the ZMA with those big caps has the reserves to push out all frequencies with ease. That, and/or the harmonics - I know I keep bringing this up, but I really feel the harmonics is what sets this amp apart from other tube amps. It just breathes a little bit of life into the recordings, making the reproduction sound more like a live instrument in the room.

More and more happy every day as the amp burns in. Part of me wants to lock it up in a closet blasting at 75% volume for a week straight to speed up the process - but the journey is part of the enjoyment!

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #586 - 01/27/14 at 20:58:17

I forgot to add - I've got one of these on the way! Found an open box deal too good to pass up!

I'm officially broke for the rest of the year. LOL

Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #587 - 01/27/14 at 21:25:35

Lonely Raven,
      Your not broke you are actually in the process of fixing things. Remember the cup is half full. What matters is your living life to its fullest!
Bottom line enjoy the amp I enjoy hearing about it. Were not here for long.

Cool

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #588 - 01/27/14 at 22:02:57

I could not agree more Digger...it is getting shorter all the time.

I had the luxury today to put the 19th through 26th hour today on my ZMA. I am very pleased. I new my front end could handle the honesty of ZMA in 20 bit dither. The DTI Pro32 is key here...with Redbook.

I switched my Galo 3.1's around, where the bass woofer's fire out instead of in towards each other. These being acoustic suspension, this change really locked in/improved the bass. The ZMA has weight. The high's are extending too/coming along very well.  

I had the Amp at 91.5 db SPL peaks today....hovering in the mid 80's db SPL....just magnificent...no clipping or compression. Just shear music! I recently had a 175 watt/channel, Moon Solid State Amp in, that could not compete with this Amp/ZMA! Harmonics, Harmonics & Harmonics = ZMA! You just want to turn it up and up.....no fatique or grain! It is certainly very far from being burned in too.

Lower level and low level Listening is just as impressive ( I, 9 out of 10 Listening Sessions-listen at 68 to 74 or 74 to 82db SPL). There is even more there in detail, than my SE84CS. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around that....but it's happening.

My System for ZMA:

Room is 9' x 11'
Acoustically treated/Michael Greene Room Tunes & Home Brew 18" x 30" open filter panels = 18 of them.
System Tri-configured on floor (no rack) on flat shelves/on full carpeted room/floor underneath-concrete ...Townsend CD Seismic Sync under digital Audio Alchemy components ...XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA ...Adcom AC-enhancer 515 ...all four components plugged into it...has sequential on off start & shut down

Sony DVD Player as Transport
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro32 (Set at 20 bit dither)
i2s Prophecy Cryo Digital (sends music 20 bit dither signal separate from clock signal in which it also sends to DAC)
Audio Alchemy v3.0 DAC (dual ladder DACS-w/remote wand volume/adjustable voltage output/driving directly into ZMA)
Kimber Select 1030 interconnect coax/RCA
ZEN MYSTERY AMPLIFIER
Kimber Select 3035 Speaker Cable
Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1 Loud Speakers

-Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #589 - 01/27/14 at 22:21:15

Quote:
Harmonics, Harmonics & Harmonics = ZMA! You just want to turn it up and up.....no fatique or grain! It is certainly very far from being burned in too.

Lower level and low level Listening is just as impressive ( I, 9 out of 10 Listening Sessions-listen at 68 to 74 or 74 to 82db SPL). There is even more there in detail, than my SE84CS. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around that....but it's happening.

Sounds like our notes are pretty much the same. I'm glad you got your fuse issue worked out. Hopefully after those caps form, you'll be able to put a normal 5 amp fuse in there. Not that it matters I guess.

Question for you stone, when you power down the amp - do the regulator tubes percolate and do a soft popping through the speakers as they drain the capacitors?

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #590 - 01/27/14 at 22:57:59

Hi LR, I get no soft popping as the Amp Powers down or percolating from the 0A3's. However, with powering up/on...the 0A3's percolate quite a bit (with no popping through the Speakers). I DO remember them doing this percolating, as well with my Torii III.

I always turn my volume on the Amp all the way down before shutting off the System. This way, when my Adcom AC-enhancer turns things on in order, from Transport to DAC to Amp/ZMA...I get no "thump" through the Speakers.

Have you noticed how cool temp wise, the outer Tranny's run compared to the warm inside/inner Tranny's?    -Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #591 - 01/27/14 at 23:32:52

Actually I've done more than notice...I picked up an IR thermometer and I've been measuring the tube and transformer temperatures regularly. I originally got the IR Thermometer to measure the heat on the little Zen amp as it seemed a bit excessive, but the ZMA showed up the same day the thermometer did, so the little Zen kinda got forgotten! LOl

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017L9Q9C/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&p...

Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #592 - 01/28/14 at 03:19:24

Raven or Stone?

Have you guys noticed as you have gone thru your share of amps as you have climbed the food chain with them as they become so much more revealing, clear and transparent that you find yourself really cranking them louder and louder without realizing they are as loud as they really are? As my systems have improved I have found it to be a symptom of success within my two current systems one tube and one solid state. Things must be good when all you hear is the music floating around within all of this open black space within it all.
     It is good hearing what these amps are bringing to the table for you guys. I'll be looking forward to hearing more! Looking forward to my opportunity to hear one in person.                          Smiley

Cool

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #593 - 01/28/14 at 16:05:06

I get what you're saying, and I have sort of a non-answer. LOL

Yes with the little Zen amp. That's part of why I upgraded, was because I kept wanting just a little bit more. Now with the Mystery Amp, I find I'm turning it down more - not because it's harsh or fatiguing (though too much volume does make me tired of listening), but because it seems to do it's thing at pretty much any volume.

Then, some songs just want to be cranked. LOL

Well see if as the ZMA smooths out, if I find myself turning it up more to peek deeper into the music - or if I'm sated with lower level listening, because, seriously - the amp just does it at all volumes.

Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #594 - 01/28/14 at 23:29:39

Lonely Raven,
    I guess what I was saying about volume is and I really didn't explain it very well was that the volume can be turned up a bit more than I think do to the sound not having any bad or harsh effects that I have had with some of the earlier equipment I have owned over the years. What I have had happen to me is I'll set the volume to where I can start feeling the bass and hear everything so nice thinking I still have it at a volume for my wife and I to still be able to talk and find out it is a bit louder than I thought. Easy to do with transparent sounding equipment.
    It does sound like your having some fun!

Cool

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #595 - 01/28/14 at 23:33:42

I am loving this Amplifier. It is my SE84CS with CKC....sounds like Steve's pentodes in triode...but with Power! No B.S. ...I don't get paid to say these things. I am just a customer....whom is taken aback by the musicality of this Amplifier. Surprised, but not surprised, by Steve working in this fidelity spectrum/envelope of 38 watts/channel.

I put my Polk LS-90's in place of my Gallo's. They are a little more efficient. Did the bass show up? Boy, did it ever and everything else continues to shine. The ZMA is extremely musical with full denseness. I am in my 33rd hour on the Amp, with my most favorite pair (the 90's) of the three that play well with the Zen's & now the ZMA.

These Speakers have been a Gem for low level to moderate level Listening, with the SE84CS by luck, when I got my CS in May of 2001. I have owned the LS-90's new, since February of 1993. ...Never to be sold.

Now, the LS-90's with the ZMA are great at low, moderate....and when you want turn it up! To bad Solid State = not aloud in this Room!  

The bad news is: I'm canceling my Torii IV order.

The good news is: I'm ordering the HR-1! I can't do both in calendar year 2014....but am glad I can swing the HR-1's. I have to get Steve's best to go with my ZMA. Plus, the craftsmanship of Zygi & his Son.  

Cheers, Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #596 - 01/28/14 at 23:49:58

Stone,
      Glad to hear your still liking your Polks with the ZMA. I certainly like my LS 70's for me they are the right size for my room and they can crank when needed. Although they are much better than when they were stock units. 60 watts of tube power is plenty more than I need for sure.   Smiley

I'd say my only dislike with tube vs solid state is listening to certain types of rock music. My solid state set up still rules for punch and speed. I'm speaking in behalf of my current equipment setup!

Cool

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #597 - 01/29/14 at 00:13:08

For sure Digger, my Reference Rig(s) via Decware....and HR-1's to join the Stable in my Listening Room will/and does rule for the most INVOLVEMENT deep into the Music. This is why, we go through the trouble. I can tell the difference in two notes between at least a dozen Alto & Tenor Saxophonists. I want all the tone & texture...Decware delivers!

However, for Rock (mostly all recorded like Sh$t).....my basement Living Room Rig with my Polk SRS SDA 1.2's....will definitely get your YA YA's out! I love old vinyl on this Rig too! I leave my Audiophile Hat in the Listening Room...when I come out to the Living Room Rig for Solid State Mid-Fi, as I also leave my Audiophile Hat at home for Live Concerts (we all know how that can go too).  

http://www.lasareath.com/
Here's a dude with the ones I have.
I need to post some pics's.

Cheers, Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #598 - 01/29/14 at 01:13:07

Stone, Those Polk's are huge. There was a pair locally for sale a while back and the bells started ringing and than I came back to my senses do to there size and power requirements to make them breath properly. I wasn't sure if I needed such an adrenalin rush anymore in life like I did when I was younger He He!. I'm currently running a custom set of MTM designed speakers with 2 seas 7" woofers and Vifa tweeters with 10" Aura subs running off of a Dayton 900 watt sub amp for the mains in my solid state 2 channel system. I run the Dayton from my McIntosh pre amp along with the Mac power amp. At this point its plenty to get my Ya Ya's out! And your absolutely correct about the S###y recordings but Zeppelin sure can kick some as@@$ when needed.

Keep that ZMA cookin!

Cool

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #599 - 01/29/14 at 04:37:08

Sweet setup Digger...with the Solid State Mac's.

Oh yeah, the 1.2's are 180 pounds each. A Royal pain in the back even with a hand truck. Well worth the effort. If I ever need to rebuild the Xover's...I will take it to Midwest Speaker, 10 miles from me. Polk shelves and sells the original TL Tweeter's (which mine actually have the original 1st year Tweet's)...and of course offers better improved Xover parts now.

I won't Frankenstein Polk these...because of the SDA Function. The great part is I can completely redo them to Polk Spec and protect their resale value. It is not uncommon for these to sell on the Polk Forum...where someone will meet me half way between Mpls & Kansas City for example, pay my gas and hotel to buy them over dinner. However, I am not selling them anytime soon. They do have a cult following for SDA and this model, along with a couple of other good SDA models from 85 through 1991.

I do use the SDA function for all forms of media out in the Living Room: TV (Palladia & AXS too), DVD, Blu-Ray, Sirius Sat Radio, Vinyl on my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon III/modest setup.

Living Room Mid-Fi Rig:

I have a Emotiva XPA-2, 300 watts/ch into 8ohm.
Kimber PK10 Palladian Power Cord to XPA-2...that I bought used (less than 1/2 price)...completely transforms this Amp...I ABA'd to death...and I still scratch my head how this passive Power Cord can do what it does musically for Solid State...

Kimber 8TC to the Polk SDA SRS 1.2's...that kick ARSE'
Rotel 1062 as a preamplifier
Velodyne Sub (I'm not really big on super big bass)...8TC to it as well

I bought a HSU Research MBM 12 that sits behind me/couch. This thing is impressive....the weight it adds between 50 & 120hrtz!

You just reminded me Digger?! I have Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day on my DVR from the O2 Arena....time to go crank it and watch!  

Yes, the ZMA will keep cookin'....Stone very pleased!  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3