Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 22:42:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zbox first impressions (Read 5784 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Zbox first impressions
02/11/10 at 17:24:31

Quote:
I have placed the zbox between my cdp and pre-in and the excessive hum is gone. Thank your for your concern.

The zbox produces an astounding increase in solidity in music reproduction, and with the solidity comes sharper outlines, localization, air, so that perceived detail increases. I just listened to Beck's Mutation and I noticed for the first time in a passage with many hands attempting to clap simultaneously that they don't start and stop at the same instant, so that I heard a slight increase in clapping sound as the second then third etc. clapping followed a split second later, and, of course, a slightly stepped decrease at the clapping conclusions. Only idle curiosity makes me wonder how the zbox manages to improve my Reference Audio Mods modified Rega Saturn-does it add the higher order harmonics removed by the CD recording?-I prefer merely to enjoy the improved music payback. The zbox lifted my cdp which I judged as 90% of the best to one easily over 95% of the best. What a remarkable product! And with it your top notch service! Man, did I make the right move here!!

Thanks again,

Eiton

Thanks Eiton, glad you're enjoying it !

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Zbox first impressions
Reply #1 - 02/11/10 at 18:28:04

To answer you question about "how"... it's a lot of different factors, but if we look at just one that's a bit unique to the ZBOX design, it would be the way it handles harmonic distortions.

This is a THD plot showing what happens between the 1K test tone and the first harmonic at 2K because thats all that would fit at this level of magnifications.  The same thing is happening all the way up the frequency ladder.

The white line is your typical computer sound card.  The green line is the ZBOX.

If we zoom out a bit, you can see the beautifully spaced harmonics between the fundamental harmonics of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7kHz. Notice compared to the white line, that the ZBOX buries the peaks so they no longer are heard.

This is of course only part of the story.  Lets look at the typical distortion signature of a single ended triode amplifier and see how the ZBOX compares to THAT signature:

Again, the white is the tube amp, and the green is ZBOX.  Now when you inject the green into the white (ZBOX into AMP) the resulting harmonic signature of the amp WILL become modified.  Even though all this is going on some -90dB below the music it effects timbre, image density, placement, etc.,

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print