Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #22750 - 01/27/23 at 21:44:04

Jean-Michel Proust "Harlem Nocturne"

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #22751 - 01/29/23 at 04:24:43

I don't normally listen to much alternative, I mean I enjoy some, but I also never pass up a pristine LP when I find one.
I figure I'll have a use for it eventually. Anyway a Goodwill trip, I found this for $2.
Got home and found it to be a newish release, hardly touched. Looks like it was never touched by foul hands.
I usually search Goodwill for quality blades back in the kitchen section (I might have a real problem with collecting fine blades), CDs, old movies or anything made of real leather. I strop my blades!

I keep looking through music that I have lately. And I had completely forgotten about this one.
From the first song on side 1, it kind of grabbed me.

Anyway, that was a few weeks ago and I am going back through this one and enjoying it.

You just never know what trips triggers. I just can not ingnore good music, no care from where it came.

Stolen pic, sorry. Mine's black.

RHCP_Unlimited_Love.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #22752 - 01/29/23 at 17:42:32

In an odd modal, sort of.

Stretching my turntable's legs some.

Fleetwood Mac for now. "Rumours" needs the subwoofer, but the others are full without it.
Some Jefferson Airplane coming up.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22753 - 01/30/23 at 14:28:38

Bob Brookmeyer "Gloomy Sunday and Other Bright Moments" Verve cd

Coupled on cd with

Both albums showcase some great trumpeting from Clark Terry.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22754 - 01/30/23 at 17:52:45

Found this on discogs.com and had never known of its existence. Glad I ordered it, this is a good listen. Bought it for Mark Turner's participation.

Pierre Lognay Featuring Mark Turner "The New International Edition" Lyrae Records, Belgium

Guitar - Pierre Lognay
Tenor saxophone - Mark Turner
Acoustic Bass – Mark Zubek
Alto Saxophone – Rudresh Mahanthappa
Drums – Bilou Doneux
Electric Piano – Inno De Sadjo
Trumpet – Philippe Thomas

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22755 - 01/30/23 at 18:44:11

Bob Dylan "Bootleg Series Vol. 17: Fragments" disc Five. This set was released Friday last week.

I'm reverently, slowly going through this box set. I listened to the first disc, the remix of the album "Time out of Mind" itself, twice, and now I'm listening to the final disc, which is material I already have from Vol.8, "Tell Tale Signs" (and LOVE).

"Time out of Mind" is the album that rekindled both my interest in earlier Dylan and the new blues-based material he created going forward. It's music that really resonates in my mind and heart, and falls within the type of music I can play myself.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22756 - 01/30/23 at 19:57:55

Ben Webster "Live At The Haarlemse Jazzclub" Timeless Records/Solid Records Japan cd 2022

That unique sound of Ben Webster's horn is making the snow falling gently in front of my window. . . seem warmer.

With Tete on piano, from 1972.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22757 - 01/30/23 at 21:20:16

Such a beautiful album.

Antonio Carlos Jobim & Friends "Minha Alma Canta"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22758 - 01/31/23 at 01:26:40

My wife is napping and I need to chill out so I'm up here repeating this wonderful Jobim cd to cool off. Been on the Hoffman forum defending Decware from misinformation and insults and then I'm being called "over defensive" because I'm speaking out by myself and there are three in particular who are attacking Decware.

Sigh. I have to learn to let some things lie, but when a person or group or company I am passionate about is under fire I go to the mat for them again and again.

But the lovely Jobim melodies and the mellow playing is helping me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22759 - 01/31/23 at 14:10:15

June Christy "The Misty Miss Christy" Capitol cd

I love the tone and texture of June's voice, it reminds me of someone I love very much, though the phrasing is different. This is one I haven't played in a while, pulled down from the shelf with some others of hers to play in the next few days. I have wondered what Thelonious Monk would think of her version of "Round Midnight" here--it's not very Monkian, but she does it justice, with its full orchestra and wistful sound.

Followed by
"Classic Jazz at the Philharmonic Jam Sessions (1950-1957)" Mosaic Records, disc IV

From cool Christy to some hot jams.

I'm so glad that after years of tweaking and getting fine components my system is so good that I just revel in music. Thank the universe for the gift of MUSIC!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22760 - 01/31/23 at 15:07:33

The final Us Five disc in my recent re-visiting of their work. This was the first one, and all the compositions are Joe’s. I don’t always enjoy two drummers but they work in this group.

Joe Lovano/Us Five "Folk Art" Blue Note cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22761 - 01/31/23 at 18:13:48

Oh that little voice!

Blossom Dearie "Needlepoint Magic--Vol. V" Daffodil Records cd

IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #22762 - 01/31/23 at 18:55:41

This is a very interesting listen. She still has a great voice.

Decware UFO2 / Rega P6 with Ania cartridge / Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE II phono pre-amp / All Kimber cabling / Klipsch Heresy IV
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22763 - 01/31/23 at 19:03:23

Nucleus "Live at the BBC" disc 7

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22764 - 02/01/23 at 14:08:00

Bob Dylan "Fragments: The Bootleg Series Vol. 17" Columbia/Sony 5 disc box set.

I'm listening again to disc 1, the remix of "Time Out of Mind," before moving along into the heart of this box set, the unreleased alternates et al. This material is strong, and the remix reveals a differing set of strengths.

I love what they did with "Highlands."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22765 - 02/01/23 at 15:18:19

"Classic Jazz at the Philharmonic Jam Sessions (1950-1957)" Mosaic Records, disc V

The snow is coming down again (gently) so I'm employing some jazz heat.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22766 - 02/01/23 at 18:40:25

"Leon Thomas in Berlin" (with Oliver Nelson) Flying Dutchman cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22767 - 02/01/23 at 20:41:01

On another board people were discussing Miles Davis "Agharta" so I played the first half of the Sony Blu-Spec CD2 version.

And then for some reason I saw the Grateful Dead "Wake of the Flood" cd on the shelf and put that one on, it's been a long time. (The HDCD remastered version). I can still remember marveling at the original LP I bought when it came out--that was the thickest vinyl I'd ever purchased! This is one of my favorite Dead, and rock, albums.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #22768 - 02/02/23 at 13:49:24

Cold and ugly weather and all, I went back to that old record store that is closing next week.
Of course, prices of many desirable collections have come down, considerably.
I kind of hate to be this way, but I drive a Chevy, not a Cadillac. My wife drives the top line Chrysler product.

I dropped another six hundred bucks on media this week and got this amazing Yes complete collection. Many others as well and I will mention more as the fullness of time allows.

I bought several installments from my memories of youth, mostly CDs or SACDs and some bluray or DVD concerts, a few LPs etc. Quite a bit of jazz.
They went and found me two big boxes to carry stuff and helped me to the car with it all.

Sadly, this will be the last time I will ever be able to visit this old time record store. It goes to auction soon.

Anyway, playing my Yes collection for today.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22769 - 02/02/23 at 14:13:17

I may join you in playing some Yes later today.

Right now
My first music of Thursday is the bonus selection on the Grateful Dead (HDCD remaster) cd of "Wake of the Flood" that has Bob Weir demoing on acoustic guitar the "Weather Report Suite." It's quite a showcase.

Followed by an album that continues to fascinate me as much as it did when first released, featuring the lovely voice of Paula Morelenbaum in a sort of bossa nova/house collage that is a great listen.

Paula Morelenbaum "Berimbaum"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22770 - 02/02/23 at 15:01:39

June Christy "Something Cool" Capitol cd

I'm listening to the stereo version of this title, combined on a Capitol cd with the earlier mono version.

Both versions are great imo. But with the stereo you get that rich Capitol stereo sound, hard to beat.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22771 - 02/02/23 at 15:38:39

Bob Dylan "Fragments" Bootleg Series Vol. 17, Columbia 5 cd set.

I'm finally entering the new territory of alternate material in this box set, disc 2.

Wow.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22772 - 02/02/23 at 18:37:33

Miles Davis “Kind of Blue” Sony SRCS 9104 LP facsimile cd. This I think is the first Japanese cd after the Gold cd was released two years before. 20 Bit SBM. . . it really sounds good on my system today. I have so many versions of this title! I try to rotate them when listening to “Kind of Blue”. . …

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22773 - 02/02/23 at 19:22:14

Lon wrote on 01/31/23 at 14:10:15:
"Classic Jazz at the Philharmonic Jam Sessions (1950-1957)" Mosaic Records, disc V

https://www.mosaicrecords.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/275-JATP-4x4-Mini-2c-e1...

Now disc VI

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22774 - 02/02/23 at 20:39:45

"Gary McFarland's Latin Lounge" Verve cd

Came in the mail from discogs.com Didn't know that this existed til last week. I love this music!

IP Logged
Kirk
Verified Member

Reply #22775 - 02/02/23 at 23:35:36

IMG_3112 by Kirk Bankes, on Flickr

SE84UFO2, CSP3, ZP3/ZMC2, Klipsch Jubilees, ZLC, Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (Modwright), Rega Planar 3, Ortofon Quintet Blue MC, GR-Research and Decware cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22776 - 02/03/23 at 14:14:47

Miles Davis "E.S.P." Mobile Fidelity SACD

This one is waking me up.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22777 - 02/03/23 at 15:02:43

Leon Thomas "Full Circle" Flying Dutchman cd

Not your typical Leon Thomas album, but it has that Friday thang goin' on. .. . The Santana tune is great.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22778 - 02/03/23 at 16:00:37

Pulled from the shelves . . .

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis / Johnny Griffin "Pisces" OJC cd

Recorded for Riverside on May 3, 1962 but never issued until this cd. Could be because of the darned celeste. Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22779 - 02/03/23 at 16:47:43

From the shelves . . . I woke up with some of this music in my head for some reason, so I pulled this from the shelves.

Bob Dylan "Street Legal" Blu-Spec CD2 Sony Japan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22780 - 02/03/23 at 18:47:47

"Classic Jazz at the Philharmonic Jam Sessions (1950-1957)" Mosaic Records, disc VII

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22781 - 02/03/23 at 19:54:26

Another June Christy because I pulled a handful from the shelves.

"June's Got Rhythm" Capitol/TOCJ Records Japan cd

Great band!

Bass – Monty Budwig
Drums – Mel Lewis, Shelly Manne
Flute – George Spelvin
Guitar – Laurindo Almeida
Tenor Saxophone, Oboe, Arranged By – Bob "Mr. Christy" Cooper
Piano – Russ Freeman
Trombone – Frank Rosolino
Trumpet – Ed Leddy
Tuba – Red Callender

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #22782 - 02/03/23 at 23:43:23

This album was purchased in 1976. It still amazes me of the detail that has surfaced as the system improved.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #22783 - 02/04/23 at 10:19:11

Interesting spin on the classics. Like anything else synthetic it can not reproduce the real. Missing emotional connection but entertaining.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22784 - 02/04/23 at 19:43:39

From discogs marketplace . . . .

Jean-Michel Proust "Harlem Nocturne" cd

I discovered Proust via his two volumes "for" Barney Wilen, and really like this one. Like Yusef Lateef's "Part of the Search" this one seems to be scanning on radio (of the past) or "Casablanca" and then landing on a tune--different ones than Lateef might--aided by a young son. Good music, well-recorded.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22785 - 02/04/23 at 20:12:13

Just in from amazon

"Cookin' with Jaws and the Queen" disc 1 of 5

Sound is good but I think if you have the original OJC cds you don't need to update. Mine are all in storage. . . that was my excuse for getting this new set. Wink

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #22786 - 02/05/23 at 04:26:28

I got this "Black-Man's Burdon" in that stack of stuff last week.

Basically, as much as I love all the Animals music, this is my favorite Eric Burdon era.
This is a DVD of live TV broadcasts, done fairly well. It sounds much better than I expected.
Of course, I can throw this into my Pioneer Bluray I use for steaming mostly, forget the vid by turning off the monitor and it sounds very nice, even without considering it was made for a 1970 TV studio recording.
Better than I expected by far.
Then I can pop the monitor back up if I want to see the musicians working.

black-mans-burdon-war.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22787 - 02/06/23 at 13:06:38

Disc 2  

(Brian Blade’s) LIFECYCLES Volumes 1 & 2 : Now! and Forever More Honoring Bobby Hutcherson

Fantastic reissue!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22788 - 02/06/23 at 14:09:58

A blast from the past, rejuvenated.

Jethro Tull "Thick as a Brick" cd/dvd Steven Wilson edition

Benefit/Aqualung/Thick as a Brick is a trifecta of Tull for me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22789 - 02/06/23 at 17:18:47

Bob Dylan "Fragments, Bootleg Series Vol. 17"

Finally onto disc 3, which is fantastic, and the disc is defective, skipping at the end (the fantastic alternate of "Highlands") on three players/transports) so I have to get a replacement. Sigh. Great disc in a great set!

On to
Gary McFarland "America The Beautiful (An Account Of Its Disappearance)" Skye Records/DCC cd

Well, I remember why I don't listen to this that often but also ERIC GALE! He's the highlight.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22790 - 02/06/23 at 18:46:09

Joe Turner "In the evening" OJC CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22791 - 02/06/23 at 19:41:10

"The Eddie Davis Cookbook Vol. 2" Prestige/Craft Records cd

From this new box set

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22792 - 02/06/23 at 20:16:55

Duke Ellington "Jazz Greats" cd

All J.R.T. Davies transfers and mastering.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22793 - 02/07/23 at 00:10:01

Blossom Dearie "Sings Rootin' Songs" DIW Records cd Japan

Believe it or not. . . .

Blossom Dearie Sings Rootin' Songs is a 1963 studio album by Blossom Dearie.

Her first album after leaving Verve Records, Blossom Dearie Sings Rootin' Songs was recorded for Hires Root Beer, on whose television commercials Dearie had sung. The album was originally available for 50˘ and two bottle caps.

Blossom Dearie – vocals
Joe Harnell – piano, arranger
Jerome Richardson – flute, tenor saxophone
Dick Romoff – bass
Teddy Sommer – drums

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22794 - 02/07/23 at 00:35:10

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22795 - 02/08/23 at 16:28:07

My wife has been home sick yesterday and today. . . I have not been listening to much music.

Grabbing an hour or two now. . . .

Fred Hirsch Trio "Alive at the Vanguard"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22796 - 02/08/23 at 17:19:05

Walt Dickerson "Tell Us Only the Beautiful Things"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22797 - 02/08/23 at 18:00:02

Antonio Carlos Jobim "Stone Flower" CTI

This time the Legacy cd with the Mark Wilder mastering.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #22798 - 02/08/23 at 21:59:42

Found a reference to this on AAJ, streamed it to investigate further.
Ended up buying it.

It's a newish release but I find it quite pleasant.

Healing_Power.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22799 - 02/08/23 at 23:27:45

"Have no Fear, Joe Turner is Here" Pablo cd

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 456 457 458 ... 504
Send Topic Print