Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 14:44:02 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Radials and EL34 Monoblocks, some impressions (Read 6425 times)
Lon
Ex Member

Radials and EL34 Monoblocks, some impressions
01/07/04 at 17:28:56

My EL34 Monoblocks are on the way to being broken in and I can attest that they really make the Radials sound GREAT.  It's funny, I was expecting a weightier and perhaps "slower" sound and yet what I have been getting is a very "Select" sound especially the tonal balance, with more loudness available at the touch of the gain knob.  I have discovered that there is a bigger image of larger ensemble works though, that the soundstage seems taller when the ensemble is bigger.  Not displeasing at all!  I'm listening to my Ellington and Basie and Goodman and Gil Evans and other orchestral pieces with delight.

Overall a great combination, that will be more suitable for medium sized rooms than the Select and Radial combo, which I can imagine only really works ideally in small rooms such as mine.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Re: Radials and EL34 Monoblocks, some impressions
Reply #1 - 01/20/04 at 12:57:21

Here are some more impressions (also posted in the General Audio forum):

I really like the Svetlana tubes.  They were last week broken in to a point where they sounded great.  The reproduction of some piano was unlike any that I have heard on cd before, quite natural and full-bodied!

I should have known SOMETHING had to give because Saturday morning I turned on the amps and one channel was quiet. . . turned out one of the Svetlana EL34s had failed!  Well, the evening before FedEx had dropped off a pair of JJ EL34s that I had decided to try one day soon, and that day was sooner than I thought!  It took a few days for the haze to burn off the JJs. . . they're pretty good tubes, but no Svetlanas!  I emailed DeVon about the tube gone bad, and ordered a pair of "C" Logo Svetlanas as well that I saw at a very nice price on ebay.

What was nice about the JJs was that I have a pair of Mapleshade Tube Anchors that will fit these, and don't yet have a pair that will fit the Svetlanas.  Quite nice how the Tube Anchors give you that smidgeon more of detail and warmth that some tube lovers seek.  

The amps themselves are settled in quite nicely.  I get pretty much the satisfaction I got from my Selects with them, PLUS gobs more power.  I find that I am listening to a lot of familiar music in order to analyze the sound, and I'm also listening to larger ensemble pieces or more dynamic pieces and enjoying the headroom and scale that the Monoblocks bring to the listening.  

Overall I am quite happy with my purchase and am enjoying the tweaking and comparing and analyzing. . . . I think they'll be even better performers with some more use; they are definitlely blooming and breathing better now, but probably will improve in those areas over the next few months.

Great amps!

IP Logged
Eddie Vaughn
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/23/04 at 20:58:49

I'm glad to hear the fine report of your happiness with the system, Lon. Those Svetlana EL34s do sound better than anything I've ever heard with the exception of Mullard.

You described the speed and tonal balance as being very much like the Select, which is very neutral. I'm sure that's the signature Steve was shooting for. Do they also have that classic EL34 midrange warmth, or are they like when you triode wire them in an ultralinear push pull amp (Dynaco ST-70), and gain air and space but lose some of the thick warmth?

Eddie Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/23/04 at 21:32:42

It's more the latter:  they don't have a coloration really that I would normally associate with the EL34.  Which I was expecting them to have at first, but am happy with them as they are; they are neutral and open sounding like the Select.

I'm looking forward to a weekend of listening.

IP Logged
Xhorxhi
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/24/04 at 03:48:12

Hey Lon,
Glad to here your enjoying the new monoblocks. Even enough to get ride of your beloved Select? I love my Zen "C" and will be doing some mods soon! Still I like the more "forward" high bias position on the "C" and the select has that bias switch as well so the niggling question is are the el34 mono's more like the select on high bias (forward), low bias (laid back), or somewhere in between? I may move to the el34 mono's especially if I can alter the bias (after market) to give a more forward presentation. Also is the sound stage still there like the "Select"?
I'd really love to get your comparative opinion on this!
"Can't make up mind" -Chris-

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/24/04 at 13:09:58

Chris, I would say it is "in between" the two bias positions in the Select.  I prefer the laid back, because I'm in a small room and forward is IN YOUR FACE.  With the right combinations of tubes I'm sure you could move the sound more towards the forward-sounding position just as I am working to move it towards the more laid-back position. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/24/04 at 13:27:14

And yes, yes indeed, the soundstaging is there in full.

I DID part with my Select.  It has a good home.  I'm bonding to the Monoblocks well.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/19/04 at 14:31:14

Well, I got my upgraded Monoblocks back from Steve last night.

The visible new differences are a "direct" input added and a switch on the front that either places a cathode bypass resistor in the path or takes it out.

From what little listening I've been able to do so far, I find that the front position (which I am GUESSING is with the resistor IN the signal path) has a more powerul appearing sound (it's louder) and maybe more bass, and is a little more forward.  The rear position is more laidback and quieter.  

I'll listen this weekend and report more if I feel I have more to offer.  I'm so happy to have these back.  I really enjoyed my time with my Proton AA1150 driving the Radials, and I like that amplifier a lot (it was my main one for a number of years before I got my EICO integrated in the system) and I'll have it in my living room system again soon.  But immediately, as soon as that single-ended tube Zen sound was back something in me relaxed!

IP Logged
Scotty
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/19/04 at 15:21:08

Lon,

Are the upgrades you mentioned now standard on the EL-34s, or are they extras?  And if they are extras, how much were they?

Thanks.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/19/04 at 15:56:54

I'm really not sure of the correct answer Scotty as I haven't had much communication with Steve.  He told me that he had upgraded the machines to have the switched cathode bypass resistor, and that he had changed one other resistor in the circuit to "reduce distortion."  I am under the impression that these two changes are now stock production.

The dual input I don't believe is; he is quoted in the bulletin board here somewhere as saying he would add this to those who bought the machines when the web page erroneously showed that they came with the machine, but that future units would only have the one input (controlled by the input gain control).

I didn't have to pay anything for these changes other than about 62 dollars in shipping. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/22/04 at 15:07:10

Well, listened a lot this weekend to a finally warmed up set of upgraded EL34 Monoblocks.

I'm getting used to the new cathode bypass resistor position on the switch. . . . It's very nice for low level listening, fleshes out the sound.  There is a point just above my normal listening level where this position becomes just a bit too forward, and as mab has pointed out in a private message "feels not quite as accurate"---I agree with that, for some of my normal listening and my louder than normal listening I am using the back position, the former "stock" sound. . . .

It's like having two amps in one, how can that be bad? Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/05/04 at 14:36:00

Some more impressions, in case anyone is interested in the EL34 Monoblocks.

I've become seduced by the sound of the amps with the cathode bypass resistor in the circuit.  There is a fullness and a touch of mellowness that is pure classic tube sound and very . . . seductive.  It gives just the right touch of weight to the mid and bass and enhances dynamics.  However, right on the top end of my normal listening volume range it seems to be a bit too much of a good thing.  So I would say that 95% of the time the last few weeks I have been using this position, and when I want to play full orchestral pieces loudly or want to "rock out" (I would estimate about 5% of the time total) I restore the amps to their original signature. . . .

After having them back from upgrading and getting a good number of hours on the upgrade now I have to say I continue to enjoy these amps.  They have nearly everything the Select brought to my system, and more power to boot.  I'm glad I made the change.

IP Logged
matchstikman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/05/04 at 23:09:45

[quote author=Lon  link=1073500136&amp/0#11 date=1081172160]
They have nearly everything the Select brought to my system, and more power to boot.
[/quote]

Lon, just think of it, you say they have nearly everything that your Select brought to your system and they still aren't as broken in as your Select is.  I bet those monos are going to be golden in a year or two.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/06/04 at 10:50:14

Yes MM, I think in a few years they'll have that ease and depth that the Select slowly surely developed!  Man, that Select just lured you INTO the listening.  The Monos should become that seductive as well.

IP Logged
Mrdi
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/16/04 at 00:49:46

Oh no!!
I stumbled onto the wrong site.
Talk of 34 Monos, when I agonized for months over the new format.
My Select is barely warming up, and I'm tempted to look at the monos.
Again

IP Logged
homeyhomes
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 04/26/04 at 00:19:47

Lon,
The cathode bypass switch position that you say
you like most of the time, actually has the resister
OUT of the circuit. The laid back position has the
resister in the circuit, which tames it.

This same switch is also employed on the 34I.
The resister value may be different, I don't know.
but same effect.

Steves EL34 MonoBlocks do seem like a really good
companion for those RL-2's

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 04/26/04 at 15:37:26

Hmmmm. . . well however it is, it is the new sonic signature, not the original, that I am using 95% of the time.

Everything is sounding great these days!

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/29/04 at 23:31:47

Preparing myself for the Dec-685, I'm using the cd player with fixed output and the gain knobs on the Monoblocks.  The direct inputs on the Monoblocks sound a tiny bit better but this way there is a bit more weight to the sound, a nice tradeoff.

Can't wait for the new machine to arrive!

IP Logged
ziggy
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/30/04 at 04:23:07

Lon, Would have been nice to have the DC685 for this long weekend, Soon enough though.
                Bob Z.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/30/04 at 10:50:07

I know.   I'm being patient.

I also would have liked a shipment from Chicago to arrive Friday and it didn't:  a "fifties or sixties stereo system" that used to belong to my wife's aunt and uncle that her cousin is sending to me as they liquidate the assets of their estate.  He wouldn't tell me the brand, he "thought they might be tubes". . . . As the other stereo they had was a B&O system from the nineties, this could be good stuff. . . but no guarantee.  It would have been nice if it had made it for the long weekend as well!

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/04/04 at 12:45:01

Just wanted to update this thread to say that the Monoblocks seem to have reached a new area of "breakedinness" after nearly ten months now. . . They are really breathing and blowing easily, they seem to have gotten very close to that state of ease that I enjoyed with my Select, and with the Dec 685 in the system pretty broken in I am really enjoying my system!

IP Logged
mullman
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 10/04/04 at 19:39:13

Lon, you've noted on several occassions that your listening room is "small".  Well how small is it?

Mine is 11x12x10 and I wondering if the HDTs will be overkill in it...
???

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 10/04/04 at 20:15:13

That is about the same size as my room.  Mine is a few feet wider, about 15'. . . . BUT I have a few feet of shelves that cover two of the walls effectively narrowing it by about 3'. . . .

I don't know anything about the HDT, but they it is more forward than the Radials (and I have heard they are) they MAY be a bit much for your room. . . . The great thing about the Radials is you can fine tune them so; I am using a lot of resistance on the tweeters, more than anyone else I know, to mellow them a bit and make them just right for my room.

IP Logged
mullman
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/05/04 at 16:14:20

Lon,

I just talked to Steve to get his opinion on the HDTs in my small room:  11x12x10.

He did not think it would be a problem.
According to him others also are using these in a small room without difficulty, some even near corner loading as I am with my DIY horns.

As a side note, my SE34-I2 will be here on Friday!  whoo-hoo!

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 10/05/04 at 16:17:44

Well that's great!  I'm not sure they would work for me IF they are more forward sounding than the Radials.  I'm very sensitive to treble and like a mellower, laid back sound.

You've quite an adventure ahead of you with the new amp! Cheesy

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 04/19/05 at 20:05:15

Just thought I would add a thread to this forum.

Sincerely loving his Monoblocks and Radials,
Lon

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 04/20/05 at 06:04:41

Great thread Lon glad your enjoying your system  :) .  Are you in the line up to try out the Taboo?. Maybe you should see if you can have it for abit to give your impressions from comparing it to your monoblocks, I think you would make a great reviewer for the Taboo as you probably spend more time than most listening to your system ( which is really great ) rather than flicking channels on the tube. I'd like to make more time for music but I hardly get any alone time without many distractions etc.. one day a den for Dad or even the garage would be great Grin     Dave....

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 04/20/05 at 10:53:30

No, I'm not in line for the Taboo.  I really don't want to go through the process. . . . The biggest hassle for me is the shipping aspect.  I would have to take time off work to be home and receive the amp which is often hard to do, and I would have to take a long cab ride to a USPS store and pay an awful lot to ship it to the next destination (the local UPS joint is really crappy, the force you to buy an extra box from them before they will insure it for value). . . . Logistically, it's close to a nightmare for me!

I had the Select long enough that I feel I know pretty much how the Taboo sounds and I'm not really that tempted to make the change for my personal system.  I am quite happy with the Monoblocks. IF I could find the money, and find a cheap short pair of my interconnects (PS Audio is not making the Xstream Statement any longer and you can get deals for longer versions right now, but not for half or one meter pairs) I would try adding one of the Decware preamps. . . .

IP Logged
mullman
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 04/21/05 at 02:33:40

So without a pre I take it you are adjusting the volume (and keeping balance of your 'blocks) with the Dec685, right?

Only asking as I have been fiddling with my new Njoe Tjoeb 4000 for a week now and trying to figure out the best way to use its volume control.

Currently have it set as follows:

Turned Njoe wide open (2.55v) and turn up amp until just before it clips on a loud CD (About 30% of the CS's knob).  Then adjust volume on the Njoe to taste while listening.

The other option is to turn the amp wide open and fully adjust the Njoe volume from the remote.  But this way I can only use the first 4-5 stages of the Njoe it is SO loud.

I guess I could reduce the internal jumper to lower the voltage to 1.25v??

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 04/21/05 at 04:43:59

Thats to bad but I can understand all those hassels, enjoy them monoblocks and keep the music a spinnin Smiley.  Take care   Dave......

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 04/21/05 at 13:44:02

The DEC 685 does not allow for adjustment of volume / output unless you use a Sony receiver. . . which I am NOT using.  ;)

I use the input gain controls on the EL34 monoblocks currently, which means that I am not running this pot at the top positions.  If I use a 12AU7 tube, I can run it at a medium position, if I use a 12Ax7 it is at a lower point.  

Probably NOT ideal BUT I do find that with the monoblocks I can really dial in accurately exact matched volumes and get a very solid centered mono sound or center image in stereo; I'm able to compensate for room or tube channel imbalances.  One good thing about Monoblocks with input gain control.

All this talk of Preamps (and how come the newest preamp isn't even on the catalog page?) and Zboxes adding "weight and fullness" makes me wonder. . . . But until I can find the dollars all I'll do is wonder.

When I do have the dollars to play with I need to wonder about:

adding the Zbox
adding the new Pre
having the Monoblocks upgraded to the new output transformer choke power supply

Which would be the one thing that would be the most marked improvement.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 05/21/05 at 23:51:04

Well, I felt like adding another post to this forum to show some life here!

I listen to my RL2s everyday, and everyday I marvel at how wonderful and lifelike the sound is that I have here in my system.  The amps have been on about 13 hours today and they sound SWEET.  Seems they get faster, just letting out the notes and rythmns glide and purr.  I'm listening to Suba "Tributo"--a collection of items the late Brazilian producer Suba put out, and its got both acoustic and machine percussion and instruments, and the whole soundstage is artificial but it sounds like a dancefloor in a club, really nice and swinging!  

A few weeks ago I took the JJ E34Ls out and put the Svetlana Winged C EL34s back in.  A more easily flowing sound resulted.  I think there was deeper bass with the JJs, but there's a sweeter treble with the Svets.  So they're staying in for now, now that I've moved the speakers all around and found the best spot for THEM.

In the previous thread I was musing about my next move, but shortly after that Steve announced he was taking orders on the Zbox, and well now I'm hoping my Zbox will soon ship! Cheesy

IP Logged
nodiak
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 05/22/05 at 02:28:55

It's funny because I check the Radial forum everyday for any news. Anything is good to hear!
   I saw the Radials when they first came out somewhere....SB mag, or on this website. From the readings it sounded like I would like them, and now I know I do. Hey, here's the proof to me: I am sooo pleased with the veerrryy low key sweet spot , and panoramic soundstage that  I was willing to give up my Zen C (because it couldn't quite drive them to where I needed them to go) ! The C was  the best amp I ever had soundwise, could live with it forever.
   But I think speakers have the toughest job (turn electricity into physical soundwaves) and the way Radials place the music in the room works best for me. I really enjoy walking around the room and the music's "thickness/weight/presence just doesn't shift in intensity that much, and I don't  feel any urgency to get back to the sweetspot (sweatspot). Hangin by the fridge or front door is still in the 75% zone.
   Don

IP Logged
mullman
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 05/22/05 at 02:50:24

Lon,

I for one will be looking forward to your Zbox impressions!

[quote author=Lon  link=1073500136/30#31 date=1116715864]In the previous thread I was musing about my next move, but shortly after that Steve announced he was taking orders on the Zbox, and well now I'm hoping my Zbox will soon ship! Cheesy [/quote]

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 05/22/05 at 02:58:48

Yes, I'll be sure to add my impressions!  Just try and stop me!

It appears that Eric likes his so much he may never post again! Wink

Don, so glad you are enjoying yours.  I gave up my Select for the Radials as well, basically I chose them as the centerpiece... .. .. The Monoblocks have more than enough power to drive them and are a good match.  I think these speakers are in some ways the jewel of the line.

IP Logged
mab
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 05/22/05 at 07:10:24

I've been listening to the 2's this weekend a little while my 3's are at Ziggy's.  I must agree that they are great speakers.  There is something special about the presentation that always makes me enjoy listening to them. Smiley

Matt

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 05/23/05 at 00:41:10

Hope you don't have to wait too long for the 3s to come back Matt!

Yes, always something special about the presentation. . . I like and agree with that.

IP Logged
ziggy
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 05/26/05 at 02:53:22

Lon,

Matts 3's should be going out by Friday, if not it will be Tuesday.

My Z-box was on my front steps this afternoon, I just hooked it up and waiting for things to warm up a bit. I heard it at Steves in Feb. and its been haunting me ever since.  I've been using the Dec343 for about 6 months and now adding the Z-box. Lets see if I hear the same thing I heard at Steves earlier this year.

Bob Z.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 05/26/05 at 10:39:25

Alright Bob!  I'm happy for you and hoping I have the same experience waiting for me in a week or so!

Let us know what the sound is LIKE!

IP Logged
ziggy
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 05/28/05 at 06:06:13

Lon,

Tonality.... doesn't change much or very little, but what did change was for the better. I'd have to say the bass has gotten a little tighter if anything.

Imaging....the first night the image was all over the place. One minute it was bigger than anything I'd ever heard, and the next it was laying on the floor between the two speakers, what a roller coaster ride that was. At times it was way to big, not real at all but then it settled down and got real. I don't think its made any big changes as far as width or depth, but more in a micro way that makes things a lot better. I think this is going to be hard to explain but I'll give it my best shot....

Take the numbers 1 thru 20  with #1's image on the far left of the L speaker #2 just out side the L speaker  # 10 dead center #20 to the far right of the R speaker # 19 just to the  inside of #20  So I guess if you had a good image youd have # 9 and #8 just to the left of dead center and #11 and #12  just to the right of dead center. That would leave #'s 3,4,5,6,7 coming from the left speaker and #'s 13,14,15,16,17,18, coming from the right speaker.  This can get confusing and congested all these instruments coming from the same place.

Now, put the Z-box  in place and while everthing else remains the (#'s 1,2, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 19, & 20)  the rest of the numbers (3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)  are all sepearated into there own space, and places relieving the congestion and confusion giving a better image overall with out making anything unreal.

It seams to me that it relieves the stress a bit which is a good thing.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 05/28/05 at 10:25:29

Thanks for the description Bob, does give me an impression of what it will sound like.  I'm eager to hear my own impressions! Cheesy

I'm probably going to love the sound, AND get a preamp as well.

IP Logged
Chris K
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 05/28/05 at 14:39:26

Zigster, what are you smokin dude?!!!!
Just kidding. I know what your saying. I had friends on acid trips 20 years ago that would have freaked out while stoned listening to the imaging we get from these amps. Embarrassed Undecided

IP Logged
playntheblues
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 09/03/05 at 11:10:15

Hi Lon, Joining this thread kinda late ???  Which el 34 mono blocks have you been talking about?  Also I have a Dodson 217 MK II D DAC that has been upgraded to the 218 version.  A very nice DAC, do  you think the Zbox would improve this some?  Thanks, Guy

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 09/03/05 at 13:43:20

Decware offered for a while (and will still build as a custom amp) a monoblock EL34 amplifier that was based on the Integrated, but did not have a preamp stage and was a monoblocked amplifier.  I bought a pair when I decided that the Radials were the most indispensable part of my system. . . . Steve developed this and then goaded me into buying a pair.  I've used them ever since and I really like them. . . . Maybe in hindsight I should have held out til the new Integrated came out but I'm broke and relatively happy right now.

Honestly, it's MY opinion that if you have a really good DAC/transport combo or great cd player and a really good preamp you won't really get dramatic improvement with the ZBox. Others here however may differ in that assessment.

IP Logged
playntheblues
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 09/03/05 at 15:59:09

Lon, how many watts are your mono blocks?

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #45 - 09/03/05 at 16:05:01

Five single-ended tube watts per channel.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 09/03/05 at 16:12:03

Finally found the link to the pages on the site:

https://www.decware.com/se34m/zmono.htm

IP Logged
playntheblues
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 09/03/05 at 17:31:56

Lon those look SAWEEEEEEEEEEET!  enjoy Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 09/03/05 at 18:59:14

Been enjoying them since December 2003! Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #49 - 10/20/05 at 13:32:31

Well, my latest tweak:  Herbie Audio Lab "Grungebuster Dots" between my Radials and the brass speaker spikes I have them on.

They were cheap, and the whole set cost less than twenty dollars including shipping, and I think they made a subtle difference coupling the spikes to the speakers, better than Blutac.  Seems to give a better focus to the sound.  Nothing dramatic, but glad to have them.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print