Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 12:01:24 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best way to fix scratchy volume pot (Read 213 times)
AlexR
Verified Member

Best way to fix scratchy volume pot
04/24/24 at 19:56:40

The left volume pot on my Torii Jr has gone scratchy. Is Deoxit the best way to fix this, or is a different method reccomended? I tried turning the knob back and forth several times, but this only fixes the problem temporarily.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

AlexR   IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Best way to fix scratchy volume pot
Reply #1 - 04/24/24 at 20:15:23

IMO yes, DeoxIT is the way to go. Although I would be tempted to send it to Decware and have them deal with it if it is under warranty.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/25/24 at 00:18:27

Sometimes turning it back and forth a lot of times will fix it for a while. I can't say I am an expert, but I have lightly sprayed Deoxit cleaner in the internal side spaces of the potentiometer that let you into the two channels of the resistors/wipers. Not much, and then I think turned it a bunch, and it worked. The next time I needed to clean one, I think I had found some Deoxit made specifically for this. Don't know the difference, maybe not mineral oil based??? but it worked too. I have mostly replaced the potentiometers with really nice potentiometers or attenuators so it has been a while.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
AlexR
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/26/24 at 21:48:58

Thanks for the replies. I turned the knob back and forth again and it seemed to do the trick. I have some Deoxit D5 I can try if it doesn't hold. Hoping not to have to do that if I can help it.

AlexR   IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #4 - 04/29/24 at 11:22:33

I've had better luck with WD-40 than with Deoxit.  Its fixed pots that Deoxit couldn't.  Someone else mentioned that the lubrication properties of WD-40 also help the mechanical properties of a pot.

Dan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print