Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 04:47:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zkit capacitor questions (Read 317 times)
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Zkit capacitor questions
02/24/24 at 17:16:03

Hello, I’m getting ready to build yet another zkit 1, this time with my friend’s son (posted our zkit 4 build in that section).
I have two questions regarding the capacitors:

1. Is there a reason to use electrolytics in the power supply section vs. film caps? I have both on hand but wondered if there is an advantage of using electrolytic caps when I have higher grade poly caps on hand?

2. I have both Miflex KFPM and KPCU caps on hand, but not enough to use all of one type or the other. Any recommendations where I would experience better results from which? KPCU for the coupling cap? KPCUs in the power supply and KFPM for coupling?

IP Logged
bobc

Re: Zkit capacitor questions
Reply #1 - 02/26/24 at 14:22:50

Electrolytic or film in the power supply is up to you. So long as rating value is same. The power supply has a “sound”. I sometimes use poly as first cap after rectifier. Such as motor run cap or solen. You can also bypass electrolytic with poly/film as well. The poly caps in the power supply don’t always sound better than electrolytic. Try the polys!!!

The most sonic impact will be using the best caps in the signal path eg coupling. You can experiment. I would just use the “highest” grade here.

Lucky to have so many great capacitors to play with. I’ve never heard one of these caps.

Good luck!

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/26/24 at 15:43:22

Thanks BobC.  I've read that the synergy of running the same caps across the power supply is beneficial so I was wondering what makes the bigger difference, having all the same bypass caps across the power supply or using a mixture of caps there and making sure I have the KPCU as a coupling cap.

The KFPM's are fairly inexpensive and really nice.  I'd highly recommend trying them (at least the 0.1's as bypass caps).  Considering the cost of shipping, overall adding a little cost to get KFPMs is a relatively small additional cost.

Thanks for the input.  I'll try a few differnt options and listen, swap, listen, repeat.  It's kind of nice working on this project because I don't NEED this zkit, so I have plenty of opportunity to experiment (and use up my extra parts inventory.). Smiley

IP Logged
bobc

Reply #3 - 02/26/24 at 21:09:07

I might still consider the “anniversary” mods eg if you use 47uf film bypass with another film. I’ve used cheaper poly bypass in power supply with super high end coupling caps (oil etc) with good success. Ps bypass effect is very subtle. To my it sounds a bit like the first listen after you cleaned all your interconnects. Capacitor impact on sound isn’t always science… Smiley

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/27/24 at 02:15:41

I’ve found bypassing with miflex caps to have a profound impact. The are pretty thin initially but after a few hundred hours the just explode with vivid detail.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print