Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 09:01:30 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A new impossible speaker design by Steve D. (Read 7800 times)
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Re: A new impossible speaker design by Steve D.
Reply #50 - 02/08/24 at 22:40:10

Welcome aboard Loic! Big fan! Hope to see your experiments show up in a future YouTube video!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Loic
Verified Member

Reply #51 - 02/09/24 at 21:20:20

I am scared to now try the Zen Sarah with these speakers...  because if the jump in soundstage dimensionality and warmth of mids even with such a soundstage applies in the same scale as it did with my conventional baffles but applies to the ability of these new concept speaker the mariage of the two will be difficult to convince people of how crazy this is in writing or in a 15 minute video.  but I will try to do it justice anyway. Wink

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 02/10/24 at 00:25:35

Loic—if anyone can do it, you can!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #53 - 02/10/24 at 01:50:29

Welcome Loic! Glad to have you here. Love your videos! We need another nut (I mean, guy😁) like you on the forum.

I watched your latest video this morning, and noticed the leaned back baffle, and almost asked if you were experimenting with Steve’s concept. The wavy looking things on top, where a tweeter would go, had me scratching my head, though.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #54 - 02/10/24 at 02:45:18

Welcome Loic, great to have your feedback on this : ).

When I look at the picture you posted (as well as my own room) there is something right about the way the speakers cradle the space.  The math for why it works so well is there, sidewalls nearly out of the picture, floor bounce and subsequent comb filter effect gone.  It's a true radial wavefront that is tilted toward the listener.

BTW, I proved my point with the tweeter placebo experiment so I am back to using them again.  I like the dipole AMT and the openness from it.  You don't hear them unless you sit down in the chair, which I also like because it is making the frequency balance of standing and sitting exactly the same - a first -

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Loic
Verified Member

Reply #55 - 02/14/24 at 23:32:24

I really want to share a youtube video of sound clips to get your feedback of my diy baffles based on this concept using the Zen Sarah with cryotone 300Bs.  But I need to make 12 regular post first. So now, 11 posts to go.

IP Logged
Loic
Verified Member

Reply #56 - 02/14/24 at 23:46:30

Geno, 100% a diy trial based on Steve’s concept.  You saw the pointy owl ears in my last video, those helped me try different places on where to eventually out the tweeter baffle in the bigger baffle.

Even having those “pointy ears” on the baffles seemed to create reflections very slightly boosting the trebble.  This concept of an open baffle speaker gives a spectacular sonic result.  I told Steve in an email, after spending a few days listening to these its very hard to go back to front firing speakers. VERY.

I am using the w15 behind them in the corners, that I have to run by inverting the polarity to get a proper deep bass response that integrates seemlessly to my ears (meaning, bass instruments sound like instruments, not like fake bass, you can tell whats a standup bass and whats bass guitar note in the soundstage.)They are not subwoofers, but bass drivers up to 95hz. There is probably something to do with their position newr the corners in their own open baffle using the corners as bass horns…? Maybe

Side track thought, Im curious, since bass waves under 100hz are omni directional, it makes sense to have bass drivers operating in that frequency range be located in the room where bass response is best allowing for the most head room and minimizing the load on the amplifier rather than paired with the rest of the frequencies like most speakers try and do.  In this case it works really well.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #57 - 02/15/24 at 00:03:42

Hi Loic.

Seems like I remember that you are using a Crown sub amp? Likewise here, as well as W-15’s, and have a question about your connections. When you say “reverse polarity” are you speaking strictly from the amp to two connectors for each channel? Reason I ask, is in regard to the dual voice coils - do you have yours run in parallel?

Thanks, and again, welcome!

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Loic
Verified Member

Reply #58 - 02/15/24 at 00:06:26

I run both coils in parallel (I find it’s a cleaner sound) and I just reverse the positives negatives at the amp.

IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #59 - 02/15/24 at 23:22:17

This thread is getting good!

I will leave a +1 here for dynamics, soundstage and presentation with these speakers.

I feel like they help my listening posture quite alot. It takes away the feeling of watching a movie from the first row of the theater ( particularly in electronic music where sounds can be thrown so far over your head already), and presents the soundstage as if you are say on a mezzanine level but still at a front row distance... I think.... that is the only way I can describe it at the moment.

These speakers are my new second favorite.  8-)

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #60 - 02/17/24 at 20:05:03

I made a demo of how these speakers sound.

https://youtu.be/6ihe-HY2Bsk?si=dzPJwaT4XcZTpEOE

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 02/17/24 at 23:09:34

Amazing

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 02/19/24 at 03:45:27

It sounds the same no matter where you walk in the room!
Just as it said on the tin.

Brian

IP Logged
Loic
Verified Member

Reply #63 - 03/07/24 at 21:48:13

Steve let me know if I am crazy…

the idea is, remove the direct sound waves coming at you, by shooting the sound upward to the ceiling, in the process reducing significantly the reflections from the side wall and almost all reflections from the floor no longer apply.  This means, you are hearing reflections from ceiling as a primary source of sound, which seems to be making the sound stage MUCH better.  Compared to front firing which generate more sources of sound waves projected at you through more reflections plus direct projection.

so a front firing speaker would have 5 (more for OB) sources of sound waves hitting your ears at the listening position: 
1- the speaker itself firing at you.
2- the floor reflections created by the front firing speaker
3- the right wall reflections created by the front firing speaker
4- the left wall reflections created by the front firing speaker
5- the ceiling reflections created by the front firing speaker. 
Then apply those 6 sources for various frequency ranges that all move at different speed and impacting time arrivals...  it gets complicated to properly visualize how man sound waves hit your ears in a front firing speaker setup. 
The ladybugs have, really... 1 source of sound waves hitting the listening position. 
1- the ceiling reflections from the top firing driver. 
the driver itself does not fire at your listening position so no direct projection (it fires upwards) 
the driver creates minimal reflections off the right wall 
the driver creates minimal reflections off the left wall
the driver almost creates no reflections on the floor...  (some, but it's WAY less)
So, is this saying that the reflections off the ceiling, create a better sonic experience than direct sound waves?
the answer... I DONT KNOW. Smiley

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #64 - 03/09/24 at 17:50:09

Hi Loic,

In my room there is no ceiling... well it's 12 to 17 feet with no drywall, just paper faced fiberglass.  So I think most of what I am hearing over here is direct energy from the driver.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Loic
Verified Member

Reply #65 - 03/09/24 at 18:05:34

That makes sense.

My room is 7.5 foot ceilings, with wood diffusion.. and the rest is typicalwith some absorption..

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #66 - 03/12/24 at 03:29:39

That is why I loved your design with the adjustable ratchet able angle finder : ). No doubt with a lower ceiling at play things will be different.  I know that our ERRx radial speakers are actually more enjoyable, bigger, higher in such a room.  I think you're on to something with your baffle design and the fast 8.  

The Audio Gods are watching you.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print