Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 22:40:39 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Reflecting on Sarah (Read 24804 times)
LiquidBlue

Re: Reflecting on Sarah
Reply #50 - 11/19/23 at 21:21:58

Bravo! Most eloquently expressed! But dammit!! You could cost me a good chuck of change! Must. Resist. Impulse. 🤣🤣

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 11/20/23 at 03:33:35

Thx Gilf, BlackBess, and LiquidBlue.

BlackBess, I am sorry we didn’t get to connect at Decfest.  Next time, let’s do more than say hello!  Let’s’ have a good chat!

LiquidBlue: Resistance might be futile  ;D

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #52 - 11/20/23 at 04:01:10

Kamran, your review, like Decware amps themselves, is well worth the wait.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 11/20/23 at 05:20:47

James, thanks so much for that wonderful compliment! Now, I’m awaiting your review!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #54 - 11/20/23 at 14:15:23

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 11/21/23 at 03:11:15

Oh my! Ok, in my defense:

1) I’ve been ummm, a bit distracted with Sarah
2) I did check the Reviews forum to see if you had posted, but didn’t check the UFO 25th forum

Will respond there.

Back on topic, I almost wished I had included last night’s listening session in my review after completing 130 hrs of break-in. I listened to probably 10 instrumental (mostly percussion) tracks from my playlist.  It was another mind-bending level of refinement from what I described in my review.  

Speaking of break-in, I took Steve’s suggestion (from the UFO 25th development thread) to heart and have been utilizing a 5 hr playlist of Tibetan Bowl music to help the caps learn/settle.  I figured why not?

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 11/21/23 at 05:47:00

Some more pics including the baffle view for nipsy.

Didn’t get to listen to my hearts content tonight but two tracks just floored me:

Jeff Beck’s ‘Goodbye Pork Pie Hat’—ah well, let’s just say I was there at the live performance…what a trip!
Moon Light on Spring River—Sound of China — can bass be subtle, yet deep into your soul authoritative?

Might have a new PC tomorrow…

upload pictures to internet free

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #57 - 11/21/23 at 06:47:30

Great looking room Kam! I love how your Sarah is front and center commanding all the attention with her grace and beauty. Question, what is the bass trap you have in the corner? Do you find it to be very effective? Do you have them on the corners behind you as well?

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
nipsy
Verified Member

Reply #58 - 11/21/23 at 07:05:47

Wow !  Your review is quite heartfelt and insightful. The joy you're experiencing with your new amp is really a delight to experience alongside you.  The listening space you've created is gorgeous and simple. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures, especially the Caintucks. Excellent choice of wood. Happy listening !

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 11/22/23 at 16:40:59

Thx nipsy!

Thx LiquidBlue—all my treatment is from GIK.  The one on the left is the only corner trap (with diffusion) I have.  After consulting with my GIK guru, we decided that this was a good approach since the stairwell on the right was also acting as a diffusor and absorber of sorts….so we balanced things out with putting a corner trap on the left and that made an impact on both the soundstage and taming of bass.  

On the back of the room, I couldn’t get a corner trap because of two reasons:

1) I have a couch that is an exact fit for the width of the room
2) I have my surround speakers (for my HT) mounted halfway up the corners.

But I have the next best thing.  I have dedicated bass traps all across the back half of the room. So, with the combination of the couch and the monster bass traps, I am addressing bass build-up and reflections in the back.  Here’s a pic:

In addition to that I have GIKS bass trap/diffusion combo on the side walls and on the front walls behind the subs.  Oh and yea, the ceiling cloud, which also does double duty as both absorber and diffusor.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 11/22/23 at 17:53:49

Kamran Im hoping that you at least gave it quick listen with the "mere peasant " LOL 8000f's ?? if only for curiosity sake ? I still find joy every time I put my 8000f's back into rotation.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 11/22/23 at 23:32:02

Kahuna Jack: Haha…the thought had crossed my mind.  I also love my 8000f’s, which is why I didn’t get rid of them after securing the OBs.  And they are in regular use as part of 5.2.4 HT setup.  They are kick ass even without the two SVS subs doing rumble duty.

Sadly, I’m so distracted with Sarah, that my HT setup is feeling neglected for the past week or two. That might change tonight if I don’t end up falling asleep in the listening chair.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 11/24/23 at 15:55:55

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

I have a couple of juicy updates:

A couple of days ago, my new Amp Series PC arrived from Snake River Audio.  Thx again to GroovySauce for the recommendation.  My initial impressions is that take everything I said, and multiply that by two.  One of the standouts so far is the damn holographic nature of the presentation.  Notes were already enveloping me with reckless abandon and now they are further back from my head. Loving it.  Vocals are even clearer.  Two nights ago, during an evening listening session, in pitch darkness (which is my preferred way of listening), I put on a Melody Gardot track (don’t recall which one), she whispers first from the right channel, and that was so damn realistic that every hair on my body was standing upright for a couple of seconds. I almost bolted out of the room.  I look forward to this cable settling in.  The only odd thing I’ve noticed so far is that on one track—Alanis Morissette’s ‘Princess Familiar (Live), there was more sibilance, than I’ve heard before.  I am not necessarily sensitive to sibilance, but this was way more than usual.  Will need to keep my eye on it.

Thanksgiving Morning: The wife and kids had already moved in to the in-laws for dinner prep and I was at home overseeing the contractors.  This allowed me to go in to the basement and say (louder than usual)…Good Morning Beautiful! Ah, that felt good!

Just before leaving for the evening festivities, I sneaked in a half hour session and while it was good, in between songs or quiet passages, I heard this very faint whining sound.  As I concluded my session and put up my ear near the amp, I noticed that the replacement 5U4 was now chattering, similar to the first one, but it was more of a higher pitched rattling. Again, doesn’t impact sound, but still don’t like to hear it.  I am going to test this over the next couple of days to see if it goes away.  However, in this moment of weakness, I may have pulled the trigger on two replacement rectifiers of my own choosing.

1) A Cryotone 5AR4 v2 on Decware’s classifieds
2) Contacted Sue at Sophia Electric and asked about a BF special and she gave me a $30 discount on the new Aqua II.  I got the one with the 1 year warranty.

I’ve also decided on which 300B tubes I am going to buy, but that will be a separate post when the times comes.  One of the most agonizing decisions, ever.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #63 - 11/24/23 at 16:16:40

Kam, I tried about a dozen rectifiers in my SEWE300B--including a Cryotone 5AR4 and the best two were the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B and the Aqua 274B II. I think you have some interesting comparisons coming ahead.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 11/24/23 at 18:51:04

Thx Lon—that mean’s a lot coming from you. Didn’t realize you had acquired the Aqua II as well.  How would you compare it against the original?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #65 - 11/24/23 at 18:55:32

They are very very similar in all ways, the advantage with the II is that it is supposedly more robust and will work in the SEWE300B without any downside (one of my originals arced once, and was not tried again; another I used worked without any arcing for a month or more, and then I got a II) and with potentially more longevity than the original.

In my system the Aquas have the best tonal balance and the lowest noise floor.

And. . . the glass is deeper blue and looks really cool!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 11/24/23 at 19:17:00

Thx for the quick feedback Lon.  Even if it sounds the same, I’d be happy. And yes, from the pics, I’m really digging the deeper blue.

That said, Jeff Day, who reviewed the original Aqua (and loved it) preferred the II for adding both more resolution, and vivid imaging.  Didn’t realize he recently posted another detailed update after putting on more hours:

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/sophia-electric-aqua-ii-274b-recti...
fier/

The money quote for me was:

The 'superpower' ability of the Aqua II is that its additional resolution and more vivid imaging meant that I could still hear everything in the music even at lower volumes, a trait that comes in handy with low-powered SET amplifiers. I didn't get a sense I was missing anything in the music even at lower SPL levels, the music was just projected with more authority to me as a listener.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #67 - 11/25/23 at 01:26:30

Well, I don't want to argue with Jeff, I'll just say that I differ in that I don't hear as distinct a difference between the two in use at low volumes, and as in everything audio, especially of the resolution and transparency of these amps and preamps, everything matters in a tube complement. The II is deemed safer for the SEWE300B so that one is in use there. Adjusting gain etc. I've gotten as good a sound with the OG Aqua.

But as you've ordered a II it doesn't matter. I'm using two IIs and two OG Aquas. . . in three systems. And have an OG Aqua to spare for a future ZP3. These are my preferred rectifiers in all the components. I've switched them around and don't hear as distinct a difference as Jeff seems to. But exaggerating sounds and differences is all part of audio talk. I've tried to pare it down in my own impressions when I can.

IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #68 - 11/26/23 at 04:39:24

Kamran, you have an amazing way with words. I have truly loved reading each post and look forward to more. Like a cliffhanger in a book, each post begs for another.

I recently acquired a used SE84 CKC Select while I await my Torii. Everything you have described I feel like I am currently living. The 360 holographic effect is just crazy. I literally had to have my wife come sit in my chair at one point to confirm the music was coming from behind me.

Congratulations on your arrival. Looking forward to your next installment.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 11/26/23 at 05:04:32

The other Lon—-first of all, thx for the vote of confidence! You don’t know how timely your response is.  Literally, an hour ago, I was reading one my favorite Hifi reviewers post on CAF,  and I had one of those “I’m never going to be good enough’ moments.  So, this was a great pick me upper!

During the past few days, I’ve hadn’t had a chance to listen much due to family get togethers since Thanksgiving.  That said, I’ve been lucky enough to keep putting hours on Sarah.  I shut off the rig at hour #199 tonight.  The last song I selected was Phill Collins’ “In the Air Tonight’ and Mamma Mia..that drum break at the end.  The scale of it.  I’m at a loss for words. Thunderous, maybe?

Sidebar: I’ve been meaning to share this for the past week, but keep forgetting.  In the Had amp, once you turned the power off, the caps seemed to have enough juice to last a good 8-10 seconds before the music completely died. It start distorting around the 5 second mark, fizzling out in the next few seconds.  With Sarah, it dies out almost immediately.  I’m not saying it’s a bad thing…just an interesting observation.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 11/27/23 at 04:59:07

Blacked Out

I concluded my listening session a full hour early tonight.  Sarah is on low volume, running through a Jazz playlist while I come up for air and to attempt jotting down a word or two.

I don’t want to listen to anything else, and just reflect on what I just heard before I hit the sack. I assure you, I will be dreaming about this too, which is just the way I like it.

So, let’s rewind to about 40 min ago, when I start the listening session.

We are at 202 hours.

As I am raising up the volume, I stop at 30 db, a step lower from my current level of 28 (which is already a couple of steps higher from 23 db, that I was using on the Had amp).  It sounded just right, so I figured I’d experiment.

I was listening to the tail end of an instrumentals playlist and it was sounding beautiful. I was just lost in the music.  And then we got to the final track on the playlist.

The first note of Rodrigo’s guitar hit me like a freight train (actually more like a bullet train).  I almost fell out of my chair and multiple expletives followed (hoping my wife didn’t hear that).

God, I’m going to be thinking about that note and that moment for a long time.  

It’s actually multiple things about that note.  It was tonally amazing and its intensity was electrifying. Sure, you can argue that intensity is part of the couple’s tradecraft, but this note (and the rest of the track was on another level).  Ok, so the tonality and intensity should have been enough for me to say that this was the best version of Echoes’ I’ve heard to date, but no, there was something else that got my adrenaline pumping.  It’s the fact that the note, came out of nowhere, above and behind my head.

This bears repeating.

Above and way behind my head—without losing, nah actually gaining attack.

Sarah was already friggin holographic to begin with, but this level of holography has been happening since I injected a new PC (but more on that later).  It shows, what she is capable of doing if you gift her the right things….

So try to imagine a tonally pure, attacking note with tremendous decay, emerging out of nowhere, diagonally behind your head.

Thank God, I was not sipping a cup of tea as I sometimes do when listening to music.

The rest of the track didn’t disappoint either.  The intensity that the artists intended came alive for the first time. It was big and my God, it was beautiful!

And I kept staring at my decibel app in utter disbelief.  

I was still within my preferred range of 75-85 db, but didn’t I just set the volume a step lower?  How in the nine hells did it sound this bold??

Oh get this—I never really knew who was playing on the right or to the left.  Never bothered to check before.  But today, I heard a manly breathing on the right side, so it immediately struck me—omg—that was Rodrigo on the right.  What the hell…I’ve never heard anyone breathing before on this track and I’ve heard it countless times.  So you can guess, if I could pick out Rodrigo breathing on the right, how utterly delish it was to hear the subtleties as they slowed down, gained speed, and for good measure, their signature percussion from the guitar itself. A quick online check seemed to indicate that this is one of Gabriela’s specialties—percussion not only the body of the guitar, but also the strings.

I almost FaceTimed my son in his college dorm, but thought better of it.  It was one of those ‘you had to be in the rig’ moments.

The only conclusion I can draw from the new volume setting and what I heard from this track, is that the noise floor has dropped—considerably.  I was already suspecting that for the past couple of days, and now I’m convinced of it.  I think this is the magic of my new PC, thanks to GroovySauce’s recommendation—the Signature Amp Series by SRA. It has a new thing, that even caught him by surprise.  He reached out to the owner Jonny, who explained that he started experimenting with very low-frequency rated ferrite cores last year, that don’t touch the music, but the result is completely dropping out the noise floor. Blacks are seriously, black and bottomless now.

I’m a believer.

IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #71 - 11/27/23 at 13:56:05

Yes, that opening note is incredible. Just listened Saturday as well. I've been privileged to have seen them live about a dozen times. I always look forward to hearing this track; along with an obligatory Rage Against the Machine cover.

When you go over the details on your new PC, would you be able to discuss which one(s) you tried and moved on from as well and if you have tried any of the Decware PC's?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #72 - 11/27/23 at 18:19:30

Quote:
Posted by: Kamran      Posted on: Yesterday at 20:59:07

... I think this is the magic of my new PC, thanks to GroovySauce’s recommendation—the Signature Amp Series by SRA. It has a new thing, that even caught him by surprise...

I think this is one of things that drives the people who "know" what is important to good sound but don't actually listen more crazy than anything. I don't stream but I use a dedicated laptop for playing files, and I admit I was skeptical of how much I could improve the sound but turning off unnecessary services, replacing the spinning disc with a SSD, and replacing the wall wart with a LPS certainly caught me by surprise as well.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 11/27/23 at 23:52:01

I had to go back and listen to the original Pink Floyd version of Echoes. Classic. Thank you.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 11/28/23 at 01:25:04

Wow, it must have been amazing seeing then perform live.  As far as power cords are concerned, I have experimented with Cullen Cable and Puritan Classic + cables (the latter being better) for my source gear,  For my amps I went from stock to a Triode Wire Labs 10 plus cable, which was a definitely a step up from stock.  But this SRA is just in a different league.

CAJames: Agreed on LPS.  Both my streamer and DAC have well built LPSs. I had my Netgear switch connected to an LPS from Uptone (1.2) and that made a difference too, but it failed after two months (bought it used).  That said, even without it, the Netgear is a high-value switch and I plan to either get another LPS or replace it completely with an audiophile switch that has it built-in.

Glif: Thx—I need to listen to the Pink Floyd version too.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 11/28/23 at 19:18:59

Kamran, So glad you are experiencing the holographicness that is possible. Sounds like, you have entered the area where things start to get abstract and difficult to explain. For me it is, It becomes hyperreal which is a wild head space to be in. It’s very real for you, yet conveying the sound and experience becomes difficult due to the way we language and describe sound. It’s lacking in description, doesn’t do justice to what is happening.

A wild rabbit hole to go down is to look into the concept of hyperreality. As our audio systems become more resolving our senses become fluid-plastic. This goes way beyond psychoacoustics. This is where we start to hallucinate. Flying into a piano and exploring what the notes are doing inside the piano. It sounds like a drug trip, maybe it is closer to taking a hallucinogen that we realize?

I’ve been meditating for 2 decades. In deep medication there are some phenomenon that mirror listening to music. A sense of lightness. A feeling of spinning or flying through space. An energy inside the head, a warm tingling energy. Vivid visual shapes, can be things like fractals or solid shapes changing—a sphere into a square—getting more complex. Eventually becoming a semi-interactive experience where things can be observed in a way not compliant with what the “rules” of reality are.

After a good evening listening session I won’t get into a car and drive right away. I’m too blown out to safely drive a car. This reminds me of when I was living in Cebu, a classmate and his wife who were working in China visited. His wife was in the sweet spot, after the song she requested was over she remained silent. He touched her shoulder and asked if she had fallen asleep. Her response “No, I’m slowly returning to reality.”

Another time I had a buddy over after a track I know really activates this phenomenon, he went on to describe how he was in a lucid dream like state. He was running through a bamboo forrest and had adventure.

So is a good system a hallucinogen? I suspect it is.

PS. Rod Gab put on a great show live! Their energy is fantastic on stage. I’ve seen them twice and they rocked.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 11/29/23 at 00:12:27

I'm a big Rodrigo y Gabriela fan here, have most of their albums on vinyl. I cue'd up Echoes last. We've got a one eyed cat and she's the only cat allowed in the basement. She loves listening with me and like Steve has mentioned it's a kick to watch their ears try to track things. Zoey has had some type of severe trauma and so she is hyper tuned hearing wise. She enjoyed(?) that 17 minutes of sound bouncing from everywhere. A friend had dogs and when he played Echoes you couldn't hear the music because the dogs would go nuts.

Kamran, you have a great way with words. I've been following along and you remind me of a wide eyed boy jaw dropped on Christmas morning. Keep the updates coming! And keep enjoying the power of the music!

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 11/29/23 at 04:59:56

GroovySauce—-you hit the proverbial nail on the head.  Akin to an out of body experience, it’s getting increasingly challenging to describe what I’m hearing. I guess that’s a good problem to have.  

Thx for your kind words Sean.  Absolutely loved learning about Zoey!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 11/29/23 at 05:17:17

Has anyone noticed that I haven’t changed the stock tubes yet?

Well, that is changing soon. Not surprisingly, I am opting to start with power/current.  Sure, the still slightly chattering 5U4 rectifier helped solidify that choice.

I need another day or two with the SFDB breaking in the rig before I roll.

I was agonizing over which rectifier to roll first and looking at the picture again, I take it as a sign to start with the Cryotone.  This is the v2 version of the 5AR4.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #79 - 11/29/23 at 09:10:34

I hope you enjoy the 5AR4. I had the OG version of this from Cryotone and it did not suit my system. The Aqua 274B II sure does.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 11/29/23 at 12:26:01

Such power of will! After one day I would have tried a new rectifier.  ;D

I was looking forward to reading your impressions of a different rectifier this morning.

Quote:
it’s getting increasingly challenging to describe what I’m hearing. I guess that’s a good problem to have.

These are the problems I like to have. It is an issue that as the resolution of our systems goes up the way we describe things becomes clunky and feels lacking. As others have said, Kamran, I enjoy reading your adventures in modern stereo playback.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 11/30/23 at 05:51:00

I can’t make GroovySauce wait any longer. Tonight was the 5U4G’s last hurrah.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 11/30/23 at 17:29:10

Yahoo! Looking forward to your listening notes on the new rectifier!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 12/01/23 at 05:50:22

A Tale of Three Tales

This is a tale of heartbreak.

This is a tale of luck.

This is a tale of jubilation.

All in the same day.

So let’s rewind shall we?

So first thing this am, I finally learned what other tube rollers mean when they talk about how sometimes, rectifiers arc.

The second I plugged in the Cryotone 5AR4 v2 and turned Sarah on— It blew up in the most spectacular ‘fireworks within a tube’ manner that was simultaneously mesmerizing and terrifying.

Maybe cryo’d tubes also die dynamically?

Nothing against Cryotone—I bought it used and I knew the risks.

Anyways, thx to GroovySauce’s quick counsel — I turned Sarah off, removed the rectifier and unplugged the piggy cable from the Swiss Digital fuse box (SDFB). Re-inserted the Decware 5U4G, reconnected the piggy, confirmed the green light was lit on the SDFB, turned Sarah on again and she was making sweet music in no time!

After testing operations for 15 min and calming down, I turned the amp off, waited another 15 min and inserted the Sophia Electric Aqua II rectifier in, said a silent prayer, and hit the power button.

I’m not going to go into what happened next as I only have time to reflect (after all, this is a reflections thread isn’t it) on the tale of heartbreak and luck (or good fortune).

I was really looking forward to trying out the Cryotone rectifier. That will now have to wait. That said, I did write to Don about it to let him know what happened—not really expecting anything in return (considering it was used), but merely as a statistical data point as well as an effort to investigate what went wrong. The tube had a date of Oct 23, so it was not even two months old prior to its unfortunate demise.

It most likely got damaged in shipping, but we may never know for sure. Not every setback needs closure.  It is, what it is.

However, this is also a tale of pure dumb luck!

Had it not been for the Swiss Digital Fuse Box (SDFB) and copper Sluggo, I would have 100% blown the stock fuse. And had I gone the route of Synergistic fuses vs. the SDFB, I would have been out a couple hundred dollars.  All it took, was simple plugging and unplugging of the SDFB and Sarah was back in action—under a minute.

Think about that for a second…

So, on just its fourth day of operation, the SDFB has proven that not only it has the chops to make your amp sing to its fullest potential, free from the shackles of a stock fuse, but also, be the overprotective bodyguard (ampguard?) you never knew you needed and now you can’t live without.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #84 - 12/01/23 at 10:40:02

When I first turned on my SEWE300B fresh out of the packaging with an Aqua 274B in the rectifier arced and the fuse blew. Put in a new fuse and another rectifier (I think one of my Amperex 5R4WGY) and no issue. Later the same Aqua 274B did NOT arc and worked wonderfully until an Aqua 274B II arrived and now rules the roost.

I think that initial onrush of current when the amp hadn't been played a few days and has traveled may be a big one and causing the issues. I've not had a single issue with fuse or rectifier since thank goodness.

Interested to hear your impressions with the Sophia Electric rectifier. They are the cat's meow in my system(s).

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 12/01/23 at 11:47:40

I'm glad I haven't had a SDFB "pop" in normal use. I have tripped them went trying setups. a 3 amp slow blow will "pop" trying to power up a ZMA. My brother also did some testing with loading up a 3amp SDFB and "popped" it a few times.

When I was in Cebu, PH I had a chi-fi amp. The rectifier would arc every few power ons. I ordered a new set of tubes.In PH it could take a 4-8 weeks to get packages sometimes. I don't recommend continuing using a tube that arcs regularly.

I've heard similar stories to Lon's.

I'm also looking forward to your impressions of the new Aqua 274b II.

Now that you have more time on the amp have you tried changing back to 8 ohm taps? Have you been playing with the voicing switch?

IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #86 - 12/01/23 at 12:22:46

While looking forward to the changes you experience with the new rectifier, I am most intrigued by the SDFB test conducted, even if unplanned. Since reading an earlier post I have been going through that thread. Hopefully I’ll be able to finish this weekend.

One question I have, and if it is mentioned in the thread please disregard here as I will add it there. Does the use of the SDFB void the Decware warranty? Seems like by-passing a manufacturer design would.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 12/01/23 at 13:03:43

Quote:
Does the use of the SDFB void the Decware warranty? Seems like by-passing a manufacturer design would.

Funny you mention this, I just had someone PM me asking the same question.

I haven't asked Steve about it. What is the difference between using the SDFB and a fuse by Synergistic Research or Audio Magic? I haven't heard about issues with those.

Years ago when the high dollar fuses came out I recall similar discussions.

The SDFB is a fuse. It works by a different mechanism. I don't see it bypassing the the safety mechanism, the fuse. I see it the same as going from the cheapie five cent fuse to a fancy glass-ceramic-voodoo-pixiedust fuse. As long as the fuse works as intended I don't see an issue.

Of course if you must know, Steve is the person to answer.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #88 - 12/01/23 at 15:52:01

I'm personally not aware of this ever happening, but presumably a "nickel fuse" or a "hundred buck audiophile fuse" could fail to blow when needed. Fuses are highly reliable but nothing is perfect (AFAIK).

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 12/02/23 at 06:16:13

The other Lon: My take is exactly the same as GroovySauce.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #90 - 12/02/23 at 06:31:39

Love at First Listen

If you were paying attention to the last post, then you’ve already gathered that this is the third and final tale.  The tale of jubilation.

Suffice to say, the Sophia Aqua II rectifier successfully performed its duties without abandoning post. There was no light-works.  No fuss.  No histrionics.  Just resolution (no pun intended), steadfastness, and aplomb.

What else do we want from a rectifier?  

The tale could just end here, but lol—I already said at the outset that this thread and my reflections are going to be anything, but criminally succinct.

The Ghost

I think Jeff Day might be on to something when he said that the Aqua II provided comparatively more vivid imagery to the original Aqua.  I had ‘Jazz at the Pawnshop’ running for hours while working on really low volume yesterday.  I’ve done that many times with the original Aqua.

Yesterday was different.

I can’t tell you the number of times I had to look up from my laptop expecting to see my wife holding up and clicking together dirty dishes with a look of incredulity on her face—how dare I forget my chore for the day (not that she has ever done that, but you get the picture).  

But each time I looked up—there was no one in the room.  The clickity clack was from the cutlery in the Jazz bar, which is not unknown to me—I love that background ambience from the recording.  In other words, I’m used to it—I expect it.

But for the love of God, I looked up several times anyways, because that noise was so damn real—my mind refused to believe it was coming from the speakers.  Where the heck is she hiding I thought?  

Did I tell you the volume was extremely low? Like 10 steps above mute low.  I shouldn’t have been able to hear any background noise at this level, much less it being more vivid than I have ever experienced.  Perhaps this could be a combination of the ultra low noise floor drop between the SRA PC and the Swiss Digital Fuse Box?  Perhaps, it’s just Sarah being Sarah—being super resolving by design?

I left the rig uncertain, shook, but extremely excited nonetheless.

That Feeling

Then a couple of hours later, I returned for a one hour session (focusing on female vocalists) at my desired level and instantly had this feeling that CAJames remarked upon (in his 2x25th Anniversary mono’s review).

Wait, you thought I was going to spell it out above? In strict Kamran fashion, I feel the urge to describe it in my own idiosyncratic way.

I felt that prior to the Sophia, I was at a luxury penthouse suite, oohing and aahing at all the modern amenities—-so much sexier than my place! But now, I was back home after the renovation was complete and it too was jazzed up with the wood flooring we always wanted, the new kitchen with center Island that we longed for, the bigger and more modern bathrooms that we pined for. After all that second guessing, anxiety, we can’t help but marvel at the facelift!  But, above all the excitement over the new stuff, there is that unmistakeable contentment, that comfort, that zen—that you get in only one place in the whole wide world.  

The place you call home.  

Yeah, CA James—I’m home too baby!

So yea, we have a winner.  Sophia is already besties with Sarah.  They were inseparable for 13 hours yesterday and have already surpassed their play date hours today.

I tried to recreate Steve’s iconic Sarah rectifier shot (sans Sarah’s reflection)—still not 100% happy, but this will have to hold for now.

IMG_0545 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/20973623@N02/]

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #91 - 12/02/23 at 08:40:48

I'm glad that the Aqua II has worked out so well. The two I have I really like using. The used Cryotone 5AR4 I had didn't arc and blow but didn't sound anywhere near as good.

I did a comparison yesterday between the OG Aqua and the II. I do hear a subtle difference as Jeff and you seem to, or rather I'd say it's subtler than you both describe, but then I just write in a more low key way this decade about audio, that's how I hear and describe now.

What a great discovery the SEWE300B can bring to a system. Many of these details you are describing with the SEWE300B have been part of my listening experience this decade and a bit before, with the blossoming and tuning and tailoring of my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks and ZTPRE--they are already a standard that I have upheld in my system and processed with my listening brain; they are a new level of accuracy and inspire me to describe as clearly and unadorned as I can. These Decware components are such wonderful servants to the music. More and more it's become about the music itself for me, which is often an experience beyond words. The system takes me into the musical worlds each disc can travel to. I just am so grateful for the escape into musical realms, and so grateful to have tens of thousands of discs to travel with. I can never live in the music for long enough!

You have great listening ahead of you as the amp seasons. . . it gets really seasoned around the 500 mark and then slowly incrementally still improves.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 12/02/23 at 12:29:43

Quote:
More and more it's become about the music itself for me, which is often an experience beyond words. The system takes me into the musical worlds each disc can travel to. I just am so grateful for the escape into musical realms

This to me is what the Decware magic is.

Quote:
More and more it's become about the music itself for me, which is often an experience beyond words.

This is so true.

Quote:
If you were paying attention to the last post, then you’ve already gathered that this is the third and final tale.

Sadness! I'm looking forward to the next tale in tube rolling adventures.   Cheesy

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 12/02/23 at 16:26:07

Thx Lon. Agreed, I don’t think it’s night and day better, but there is something there that I’ve continued to notice for the past two days.  Let’s just call it more better.  The darker blue—can’t stop staring at it.

I’m at the 250 hr mark as of last night and expect to reach 500 before the end of the month.

GroovySauce: LOL—not in a rush to share a tale of sadness, but with all things audio (and life), it will eventually come.

Today, I figured I’d roll in a Mullard 12AU7 vs. the stock Sylvania.  Let’ see how that pans out.

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 12/02/23 at 18:53:22

Kamran, what fuse are you using with your May DAC?

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 12/02/23 at 18:56:32

ArtMan—you mean the Spring 3 KTE—using the stock for now and intend to upgrade to a SDFB in the near future.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 12/02/23 at 23:21:03

Kamran, I was commenting "sadness" as it's the end of the tail.  ;D

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 12/03/23 at 02:15:41

Kamran, Yes I meant the Spring. I replaced the stock fuse on my May DAC with an SR Purple and it elevated the sound of the May. I then got all giddy and ordered an SR Master fuse. It took the sound of the May to another level. I assume the SDFB will elevate your Spring to an equal or greater effect. The stock fuses clearly hold back the potential of the DAC.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 12/03/23 at 05:57:10

Thx ArtMan— I was never a skeptic of fuses and had planned to go this route in 2024, but then I got bit by the SDFB bug and damn, I think I am going to accelerate and get one for my DAC before the end of the year.  I am sure the master fuse is kick ass—it better be—considering it’s Synergistic’s highest caliber fuse.  I’m more than a believer now.

GroovySauce—Ah, didn’t read your comment properly. Sadness noted and will be addressed with more reflections such as the one in the next post.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 12/03/23 at 06:45:03

I’ll be honest—I don’t know if it’s:

1) Sarah just seasoning (we are approx. 270 hrs)
2) SRA PC settling (installed at approx. 150 hrs)
3) SDFB breaking in (5th day)
4) Rolling the Mullard 12AU7 (first day)

But tonight’s session, was epic. And I mean that literally.  I’ve never heard such scale and holography as I did in the past 1.5 hrs.

Today, a playlist by ABXAudiophiles came to my attention. It’s on multiple platforms including Qobuz. I decided to give it a spin.  It has almost 60 tracks and I’m familiar with some of them.  I went through the first 13 tracks.  One after another, there was vivid imagery of instruments emerging from a deep dark black hole, the scale, and the holographic nature of the presentation just shocked me.  On the tail-end of one track, there was an effect of a plane or jet moving from left to right.  I kid you not, I thought my Atmos speakers were on—so realistic was the panning above my head.  As good as my Atmos speakers are, Sarah’s holography just gave them a run for their money.

Oh and that’s not even the grand finale.

The very last track (Pillar I by Andy Akiho), after which I was going to turn the rig off, was so damn epic, so damn vivid, with such surgical precision of instruments, and deep thunderous bass (which seemed to put my dual SVS PB 2000 Pros to shame) that…well I’m still looking for my jaw.

And ppl think OBs don’t have good bass.  My Fast 15’s nailed that track.

Instead of turning it off, I ran up the stairs to my son’s room who was home from college and dragged him down to listen to it one more time and he was equally floored.  And then I explained to him what dad has been up to with all the tweaks including SDFB.  He loves the look of the SRA PC and was feeling the outer jacket to make sure it wasn’t a snake, lol.

That’s it for tonight folks.  Goodnight and God Bless!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print