05/02/24 at 22:16:48 

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Reflecting on Sarah (Read 24802 times)
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reflecting on Sarah
11/13/23 at 06:04:17

I intend to document my journey with Sarah in this thread. Hopefully, it’s going to be warm, lively, and epic vs. being dry, flat, and criminally succinct.

For now (it’s 1 am), please make do with a prologue. This is going to be a slow burn…

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Re: Reflecting on Sarah
Reply #1 - 11/13/23 at 06:07:50

Prologue

The one overarching thought during the past four nights of listening is that I must be an imposter.

That somehow, I’ve nefariously cheated my way in to the world of high-fidelity audio.

What have I (barely three years in to the hobby) have done to deserve this level of orgasmic fidelity? I have no business being here. I must be living someone else’s life, must be stepping in someone else’s shoes, must be experiencing someone else’s dream.

Yet (in a sick twist of fate), here I am.

What skullduggery is this?

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
sgszen
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 11/13/23 at 11:54:58

Great start! I have a Schitt Bitfrost MB from 2016 and I'm thinking about the KTE Spring 3. Sounds like you're pretty happy with the 300B / Spring 3 combo. Did you have the DAC in a different setup prior to the Sarah? Thanks

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/13/23 at 12:16:57

Quote:
What have I (barely three years in to the hobby) have done to deserve this level of orgasmic fidelity?

You paid attention, cut through the noise and found the pure signal. YAY! or Karma?

I'm looking forward to your exploration of what Sarah brings to your musical bliss.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 11/13/23 at 15:11:03

Glad you're done waiting and have started listening Kamran. I'm looking forward to following your journey.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/14/23 at 04:43:30

Thanks CA James and GS.  Your feedback and kind words are much appreciated.

Sgszen: Thx-I will try and PM you this week to address your question.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/14/23 at 04:45:08

The Wait

For a person used to instant gratification, waiting almost 2 years is a paradigm shift of maniacal proportions. So how exactly did the wait pan out? How did impact my decisions regarding the rig? How did new developments along the way impact my trajectory?

I figured that this was worth exploring as it speaks to how I got here.

When I ordered the Rachel integrated amp on Black Friday of 2021, I had zero experience in tubes. All I had to go by was the uber enthusiastic reviews from Steve G. and Andrew R. and from whatever I could gather from the forum.  I called Decware one fine morning probably a week before Black Friday, spoke to Sarah who was very kind and once she told me about the upcoming 10% discount on Black Friday, I was half sold already.  Then, trying to address my technical question regarding whether 2.3 watts was enough power, asked me:

Steve’s right here and he can answer your question—do you want to talk to him?

Wait what! Me (a mere mortal) talk to Steve—the Steve! I remember being so star struck then, and to be honest, I’m just as star struck today.

I thought to myself—Kamran, you better not mess this up!  But, I shouldn’t have been concerned.

Steve, in his calm professorial way, eased my rookie concerns about the low wattage given my high efficiency speakers.

At this point, my instinct was screaming at me to take that leap of faith. So, I listened.

A month later, when I got my Schiit Freya Tube preamp and fell in love with tubes, I knew I had made the right call with Decware, but I still hadn’t realized the full extent of the wait (twice the length of my original expectations). When the haze lifted, I tried my hand at the used market but failed multiple times. This eventually led me to research alternative options that mirrored both the experience and design ethos of Decware.

My research led me to Dennis Had’s Inspire KT88 amp. It finally allowed me to experience what Class A sounded like and the opportunity to experiment with various tube types before settling on the GL KT77 and Sophia 274 combo. This made the wait so much easier as I was finally getting (and understanding) the beautiful tonality and expansive soundstage often associated with Decware amps.  And quite frankly, I thought I had stumbled on to a keeper (and it is a keeper for many), so perhaps I was just wasting time still pining for a Decware amp.  I mean, how could it better the sonic bliss I was already experiencing?

During this time, Steve had already started to woo us with the Sarah development thread and I knew I needed to attend Decfest to really understand what the fuss was all about and if Rachel really sounded that much better compared to the Inspire.  Fast forward to Decfest and a couple of songs in, I knew I was in trouble.

Rachel was sweet, but not necessarily compelling enough to replace what I had.  Sarah on the other hand—well she had taken my breath away, but based on the estimated whisperings during the fest, was going to cost more than double what I had set out to pay.  While I was verbally agonizing over my options, another participant of Decfest 2022 laid out the cold hard truth:

“Would you rather wait two years just to make a lateral move with Rachel or do you really want to shake things up and make it worth your while?”

That question hit me like a ton of bricks and allowed me the clarity I needed to finally switch a couple of weeks later.

Next challenge: How to pay for the damn thing?

Let me say this, the desire for Sarah has instilled in me how to strategically save up and pay off a piece of gear, which is exactly what I did during the next 10 months—using the wait to my advantage.  Monitoring my expenses like a hawk, I slowly chipped away at the total and one month before she was ready, she was paid off.

Another advantage of the wait? Like a mother to be nesting, I wanted to make the rig worthy of receiving her.  So I got dedicated circuits using cryo’d romex going in to cryo’d outlets, I decoupled all my components and got a killer rack (which is also decoupled with Herbie’s Gliders), and got even more room treatments.  I bettered my existing cabling and got a wonderful power conditioner. Ever single upgrade made the rig sound better.  Finally, it allowed the look of the copper transformer to grow on me as I wasn’t convinced initially. Thank God I made the decision to upgrade last minute!

I was ready.  The room was ready.  But the Audio Gods had one final test in store.

Sarah was out of QA right before Decfest.  She would be on her way home while I was in Peoria.  Well, that couldn’t stand.  I had to be home to receive her, but I also didn’t want to miss Decfest.  We had also started remodeling our house.  The dust from the ongoing construction was the straw that finally broke the camel’s back.

So I asked Sarah to hold on to Sarah—for a little while longer.  

That ‘little while’ ended up being an extra month…

IP Logged
nipsy
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 11/15/23 at 01:51:06

I'm loving the story so far !  Excited to read more.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/15/23 at 04:44:52

Thx nipsy!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/15/23 at 04:47:39

The Day She Arrived

Sarah was loaded on to the delivery truck around 9:14 am last Wednesday and it arrived at my place at 2:07 pm.

Even though I wasn’t wearing my Apple Watch, I can guarantee you that I had completed 10,000 steps walking back and forth to my street view window during those five hours.

I came out the door to greet her (in an alternate universe, I’d have hung a sign saying “Welcome Home Sarah” from the front door) and started making a video of the UPS dude bringing the boxes over, hoping he wouldn’t get mad that I was filming him.  He was actually relieved to see me.  Here’s how the conversation went down:

UPS: So glad you’re home, since once of these needs a signature!

Me: I know. I’ve been waiting for this delivery for two years.  

UPS: Two years? UPS guy is now rocking back on his heels, which is not necessarily a good thing with him carrying Sarah and my stock tube set.

Me: Yes—two years,  so this is a historic moment (my voice almost breaking now—so overcome with emotion).  

Somehow, I kept it together and didn’t start bawling in front of the UPS guy.

UPS: Was it backordered?

Me: Yeah, it was.  No sense in trying to burden him the intricacies of the Decware build list and production cycle.

UPS: You could have asked for a speedier delivery today—I could have come to your house sooner!

Now he tells me (I thought) and noted it for future reference.

I thanked him and brought the box inside and asked my son to make a video while I opened the box.  It took me longer than expected.  It was double boxed with thick bubble wrap and brown packing paper inside both layers of boxes.  I got to my prized bubble wrapped bundle of joy and picked it up to carry downstairs to my basement rig.  

Damn, she was heavier than I expected!

Ok, that was quite the workout! Once in the basement, I carefully peeled off the bubble wrap (which also took me longer than expected), but then she was out in all her glory.  I took in her view from all angles and just gaped!

My God—She was immaculate! The African Paduk base, the steel chassis with high quality tube sockets, those sexy as hell binding posts, and the artsy black chicken head volume knobs (kudos to Sarah for recommending that as I was initially thinking of the gold knob to match my ZR2) and the (Holy Shit, how friggin amazing this looks compared to plain black) gorgeous copper transformer.  

Perfection.

So now I lifted it again (damn, did I mention it was heavy?) and set it on top of my center channel and start opening up the tube boxes to start the adorning process.  First the 300bs (btw, what Chinese brand is this—anyone recall?), then the pair of Russian 6H6N drivers, then the Decware branded 5U4G rectifier by Linlai, and then the NOS Sylvania 12AU7 preamp tube.  Absolutely no issues inserting these tubes.  

Pro Tip: Be gentle when inserting the Decware rectifier, because it went in like butter.  You don’t need the typical amount of force to secure it in its respective socket.

Wait, there are still 3 more tiny boxes?  Did Steve send some extra? I looked back at the chassis and then it hit me—the voltage regulator tubes silly! These were marked 75C1 and some quick research indicated that these were identical to OC2’s.  These VR tubes were comparatively harder to slot in to their sockets for two reasons:

1. The preamp tube and rectifier tube make for a very tight space for the middle rectifier tube, so I had to take out the input tube to have more space to insert the middle VR tube.  So the pro-tip here is to hold off on inserting the input tube until all three VR tubes are situated.
2. The connection of the OC2 tubes to their respective sockets seemed (for lack of a better descriptor) loosy goosy to me compared to the rock solid connections of all other tubes.  They just felt loose for some reason.

I swapped in the right and middle OC2’s and even getting them out of their sockets was tricky, and ultimately, the connection wasn’t much better.  However, I didn’t want to force the issue too much because the pins seemed fragile.  They seemed good enough for now, so I let it go and chalked it up to not having enough experience with VR tubes and if they didn’t light up, I would know that I had screwed up.

So all the tubes are in, the speakers cables are in, the single-ended inputs from the autoformer are in, and the PC is in.  The moment of truth.  I press power to on.

Sidebar: The location of the power switch is slightly inconvenient and a bit of hand gymnastics is required to go over and behind the copper transformer and in-between the power cord and SE input cord to find the nook where the power button can be pressed.  I only mention this because I was used to the power switch on the front of the Had amp.  That said, this nitpick is minor in the grand scheme of things.  I guess folks that are used to Decware amps won’t find this navigation to on/off problematic, but I wanted to be transparent about my observations.  

So where were we? Oh yes, power is on. Let’s fire up the streamer app and turn on the radio.

No music….

What the hell?

A minute after perusing the manual, I flip the single ended RCA’s to the alternative jacks and voila!  Important lesson learned about switching jacks and or flipping the toggle switch for the jacks.

Now that we have music flowing, it’s time to play the first track that I had chosen months ago.

Hopeless romantic much?

Guilty as charged.  But really, can there be anything more poetic than to grace the virgin track to Sara singing through Sarah?

Ok, break-in time for a few hours, before coming back to listen proper…

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 11/15/23 at 09:52:55

Congrats Kam! Except for the knobs, my SEWE300B is identical in setup and it's so beautiful, you're right, so impressive! (I chose ebony knobs--I love the way they feel to the fingers).

The 75C1 tubes are special, I am so glad Steve is sending them/sent them. They have a richer, more textured sound produced than the OC2 imo.

I know you'll keep us posted on your sonic impressions. I'm still amazed daily by mine, received in July.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 11/15/23 at 13:02:50

This is great! You have really whet my excitement to hear you go into how it sounds! Keep it coming!

Decware amps change and become more glorious the first few hundred hours of play time. Sometimes you get a brief taste of what is coming then it reverts back to the "new" sound. Eventually it's glorious from the get go.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 11/15/23 at 15:09:16

Congrats Kamran, I am excited for you!

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #13 - 11/15/23 at 16:47:33

Quote:
Posted by: Kamran      Posted on: Yesterday at 20:47:39
The Day She Arrived

Sarah was loaded on to the delivery truck around 9:14 am last Wednesday and it arrived at my place at 2:07 pm.

Even though I wasn’t wearing my Apple Watch, I can guarantee you that I had completed 10,000 steps walking back and forth to my street view window during those five hours...

So as soon as I got the tracking number I was obsessively checking the UPS site to watch the progress of my UFO25s. And on the scheduled delivery date they arrive at the local hub, get loaded on the truck but the status never updates to out for delivery. And I'm all WTF WTF. Since I'm getting the amps with no tubes I have all my tubes and socket savers laid out and treated with contact enhancer (like my clothes for the first day of school) but I'm thinking "something went terribly wrong...." Generally our UPS guy comes pretty late in the day so naturally as soon as I start making dinner the doorbell rings and I get my amps.

Agree the Padauk bases are pretty special.

Looking forward to the next installment... with, you know, listening .

IP Logged
nipsy
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 11/15/23 at 21:17:57

For some reason, it's that last mile that really gets the juices of desire flowing !  I've been waiting a little over two years and it hardly seems like any time at all. Once it's in the shipping process is when I start to go absolutely nuts.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 11/16/23 at 00:16:35

Nipsy...I cannot lie, I did the exact same thing!!

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 11/16/23 at 02:24:27

Thx Lon: I love the contrast of the black chicken head knobs on the chassis. I was taken aback and pleasantly surprised at how good the knobs feel.  From the pictures, the chicken heads always felt a bit dated and gimmicky to me, but I am glad Sarah talked me in to it!  Also digging the 75C1’s.  Initially, I thought Steve was sending a combo of OA2 and OC2 and I had a bit of a panic attack half hour in to the listening session, thinking that I should have paid more attention to the placement of the VR tubes, but Steve confirmed that it was all the same tubes and order didn’t matter.

Ghostship: Thx! I’ve probably read your review multiple times now (I went through it again, just last night) and I always glean something new.  It’s the review that keeps on giving!

CA James: LOL—haven’t you figured out that I am trying to buy some time with the long preamble?

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 11/16/23 at 03:01:03

Tonight’s post is actually some items that I forgot to cover previously.

1) For some reason, I thought I was also getting the pelican case along with the amp.  I kept looking in the box to gauge if I had missed unpacking it.  Oh well, if I really need it, I can always purchase that later.

2) Originally, I was planning on hanging the Decware one year club t-shirt on a wall in the rig, but my eldest (who is also my audio buddy and knows my Decware journey) said that it was “FIRE” and that he wanted it.  So, I gave it to him with a talk about how he should wear that shirt with pride (he get’s it).  The things you do for kids…

3) For now I’m listening with the voicing switch set to the deeper soundstage and the speaker impedance set to high.  It was brought to my attention by GrroovySauce and from Ghostship’s review, to try the low setting as it may sound better, even with hi impedance speakers.  I definitely intend to explore both settings (for both voicing and impedance)

4) Speaking of speakers, one thing I forgot to add in my second post on the wait time, is the addition of Open Baffle speakers post Decfest 2022.  Basically, I fell in love twice at Decfest 2022. Once with Sarah and secondly with the sound of OB.  So I commissioned Randy to do his magic and ended up getting the Fast 15 drivers to pair with his baffles.  That should also be considered as part of getting the rig ready for Sarah.

5) The other addition to the rig, which is recent and happened during my 2 month hiatus from music (while the renovation was in full swing), was the insertion of two new ground rods made of galvanized steel bonded with a copper wire to the main panel (NJ allows for multiple rods). Our contractor hadn’t found any evidence of existing rods and I was getting a sub panel in the garage for all the new wiring and figured that this was the best time and opportunity to work on bettering the grounding to the house.  

The only exception to the 2 month break was listening to the rig the day after the rods was inserted and I knew I had struck gold.  There was a marked change in resolution, soundstage, blacker background, and decay.

I am about 70 hrs in and targeting 100 by this weekend.  My first sound impressions will follow.  Stay tuned…

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #18 - 11/16/23 at 03:22:23

So, I gave it to him with a talk about how he should wear that shirt with pride (he get’s it).  The things you do for kids…

You sir, are a very good dad! Smiley

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 11/16/23 at 04:14:01

Kamran,

Thanks for sharing your journey,

Randy

P.S. Did you get Steve’s gizmo to go with the Fast 15s? If so, how did it affect the sound?

IP Logged
nipsy
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 11/16/23 at 07:44:53

Kamran, I am so enjoying this thread and the tales of your journey so far !  There are many resonances with my own journey. I've never heard the open baffle speaker but have been considering either building one from Steve's plans or having them made at Caintuck. Everything I've read here has really whetted my appetite.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 11/16/23 at 09:57:11

Kam, I do have a black chicken head knob on one of my ZROCK2. . . but the feel of the ebony wood knobs is just something I can't help but prefer.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 11/16/23 at 14:00:52

Thx Tony!

Lon: Ah, I was confusing the cream chicken-head with Ebony.  As I was confirming this on Sarah’s webpage, I noticed that Ebony knobs are no longer available.  Wonder if that is a temporary thing or end of life?

Randy: Thx! I have the network but it wouldn’t work on my previous amp due to the spacing of the binding posts and for now, it’s still sitting on the sidelines as I wanted to minimize variables during my evaluation process.

nipsy: To the extent you have space (I would reckon at least 3ft from the front wall, if not more), I’d highly recommend you give it a try.  Randy from Caintuck is a master craftsman.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 11/16/23 at 14:33:07

In today’s episode, let’s share some pics.  But before I do, know that while the pics may look great, they don’t do justice.

In this picture, I’ve just lifted Sarah for a second time after peeling back the bubble wrap and put it in place of the Had amp.  The tubes are still wrapped (on the ground to the right) and the one year club tee is on full display.  

In this pic, you can see the massive difference in size between Sarah and the Had amp (perched on the left sub).

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 11/16/23 at 14:39:06

In this picture, Sarah from the top, sans tubes.

driver

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 11/16/23 at 14:42:22

The beautiful copper transformer

All tubed up!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 11/16/23 at 14:47:22

First glow

And some more:

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 11/16/23 at 17:51:01

Absolutely beautiful Kamran! You take great images too! Thank you for posting and please keep at it too! All the best~ Mike   in the 'sticks'

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 11/16/23 at 20:16:32

This is fun Kamran. Beautiful amp!

I guess you might be playing with your other settings and tubes on your ZBIT and Zrock2? But if not, might be worth experimenting some. This amp may prefer different input settings compared to your other amp. But also, burnin can sound better to me with different setups before the amp, and for me, these change as burnin progresses. I was reminded of this as I am burning in a new amp and tubes too. And for me, at different stages of the amp and tubes finding their sound, these pre/foundational settings and tubes are fun tools as the amp opens up, mine now near 100 hours I guess.

I agree with Groovysauce the 1st 100 hours are important with the Decware amps I have had also, especially for more obvious ups and downs. But with my amps anyway, as I recall, I have still had some ups and downs up until 200-300 hours, then it smoothed into overall refinement for quite a while, mostly there by 600 or so. Don't know how your new 300B will be in this, but luckily, it probably sounded pretty great out of the box!

Looking forward to more of your story.

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 11/17/23 at 01:16:42

Oh. I forgot you asked about what your 300B tubes were, and I can't see from the photo exactly, but they look like Guiguangs... As far as I know they are not making tubes anymore, but I have a pair of these, and they seem to me to be quite nice, clean sounding, while being pleasantly good value 300Bs.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #30 - 11/17/23 at 03:45:34

Those copper transformers are dead sexy.

That is all.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #31 - 11/17/23 at 09:37:48

CAJames wrote on 11/17/23 at 03:45:34:
Those copper transformers are dead sexy.

That is all.

I have to agree. So glad I sprung for them on my SEWE300B.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 11/17/23 at 14:45:24

Thx Will. Your advice is always welcome.  I also plan to touch on the ZR2 in the signal chain when I post my impressions post.  Also many thanks for identifying the stock 300B tube!

MikeinMontana: Thx.  I’ve added another picture to this post, showing the glow of the stock tubes in total darkness.

Lon and CAJames—-Agreed 120% Can’t stop staring at it.

IP Logged
briand77
Verified Member

Reply #33 - 11/17/23 at 17:39:48

I was amazed at how orange the paduak appeared initially. It had an almost unnatural, flourescent quality. The color changes fairly rapidly. I had the exact same Sarah configuration: paduak, copper, and black chicken heads. I have 15 other boxes in my racks, and this is the only one that is not black or dark gray, so the copper makes a nice accent.

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #34 - 11/17/23 at 21:29:32

Gorgeous amp Kamran! Certainly love at “first glow”! Looking forward to your impressions as your amp seasons. ~VJ

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 11/18/23 at 05:40:15

Brian, I was instantly sold on Paduk the moment Steve shared the first wood base images a while back. It is so eye catching—a true statement piece.  Love the contrast against my maple rack!

LiquidBlue: Thx—stay tuned!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 11/18/23 at 05:43:26

The Tale of the Chattering Rectifier

So the first two days of break-in, I kept hearing (in quiet passages or when the music was paused) a noise from the amp. At first I thought it might be the transformer humming, but upon closer inspection, it was the rectifier.  Like something was vibrating inside. It was intermittent, coming and going as it damn well pleased.  Again, I couldn’t really hear it until the system was dead quiet, but I knew it was there.  Shot a quick video and sent it Steve, who was quick to respond and explained that this is a “Chattering Rectifier”.  That it doesn’t impact the sound (and it didn’t) but we still don’t like to hear it.  These are typically tested and graded out of circulation, but sometimes, tubes develop annoying shit for no rhyme or reason.  He had Veronica ship out a replacement tube the same day with a return label to send the offending tube back. Talk about customer service.

Two days later, when I received the replacement, the original rectifier seemed to have stopped chattering.  Oh well, I wasn’t going to take any chances.  New rectifier in-no chatter.

End of story.

IP Logged
briand77
Verified Member

Reply #37 - 11/18/23 at 13:29:44

My stock rectifier started chattering at about the 3 month mark, but I was getting ready to replace that tube anyway so it was not much of an annoyance. My WE 300B tubes both make intermittent pinging sounds for about 20 minutes after start up and shut down. I guess this is a known issue with these tubes, but I don't know how common it is. Supposedly it's not something to be concerned about, but it is annoying.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #38 - 11/18/23 at 15:00:11

Quote:
….but sometimes, tubes develop annoying shit for no rhyme or reason…

This is exactly why I think it is so important to have spare tubes on hand.

Even if you aren’t an obsessive tube roller.  Pass the candle.

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #39 - 11/18/23 at 15:01:23

My big Had always makes a tick sound (it seems only once) that comes from a WE300B during the first few minutes of warm up. It sounds like it originates from one of the tubes. The sound doesn’t play through the speakers. Even if the volume is already up with no source playing. Tubes almost appear to be alive. Sometimes I burp or even stutter. I hope my wife doesn’t try to replace me for a quieter model. My Shanling has transformer hum that doesn’t play through the speakers as well but is audible if things are quiet enough. I love mechanical clocks (watches also for that matter) and one is in my living (main listening) room. What’s with this tick-tock B.S. And Mr. CAJames, I think that goes without saying with tube amps.

I dream of a buckle I’ll never put on. Ralph

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 11/18/23 at 15:15:18

Quote:
My WE 300B tubes both make intermittent pinging sounds for about 20 minutes after start up and shut down.

I have some tubes that do this. I think it's normal thermal expansion noise. I've ridden quads and dirt bikes most my life and they make a bunch of "tinging" noises after being shut off as they cool.

I had a 60's RCA 5u4g that started to chatter really bad after a bunch of hours. That was a sad one.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 11/18/23 at 18:19:23

Yup, my KT77s also made the tinging noise upon startup and shutdown for about 5 min. I too, figured it was part of that particular tubes thermal expansion sonic signature. It was predictable and short lived. Didn’t bother me. This chattering was not predictable and occurring during critical listening, made it annoying.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 11/18/23 at 23:23:37

The one about the Title

Full transparency—As I was agonizing about an apt title (I’m big on titles) for the sound impressions post (coming tomorrow, I promise), my Facebook feed showed me my review of the iPhone X, written six years ago. After re-reading it, my sub conscious knew I was on to something, but I just couldn’t connect the dots.

Two days later, it hit me! Oh my God, that’s it—the title!  It’s actually, more poignant here, than it ever was for a friggin phone.

For now, here’s the pic of the setup as of this morning.  I’ve purchased a 3” thick maple platform (matching my Rigid Rack) from BBA.  For the footers, I’m using the regular size Herbies Gliders and finishing up with three EVP’s from AV Room Service.  Yea, I’m all in for decoupling.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 11/18/23 at 23:42:55

Looks good too!

IP Logged
nipsy
Verified Member

Reply #44 - 11/19/23 at 01:09:06

Gorgeous pictures of your set up !  I have a few questions for you.

What's the function of the 3" maple slab and the risers that bring up the height of the amp ?

Does this improve the sound ? Reduce interference ?

How about the claw like things holding up the wires ? I've never seen that before.

Your signature line indicates the Caintuck Audio Lii Audio Fast 15 speakers but I don't seen them in your photographs. I'm really curious how the 300B sounds with those speakers and how they look in the room. I've been debating about replacing my Klipsch Heresey's (original model) with the Caintuck/Lii Fast 15 combo as the Zen Master Series is a bit out of my price range and are likely a tad too large to please the significant other. I ordered the plans for the Zen Master but fear that I don't have the skill or patience to construct a good looking pair.

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to read your review on the sonic qualities of your setup. Happy listening !

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 11/19/23 at 02:30:06

nipsy: It’s an isolation platform. This review does a good job of explaining it:

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/butcher-block-acoustics/

I also love the look of Butcher Block-so it’s both form and function.

I’m OCD about reducing vibrations and the maple rack is just the starting point—will just leave it there for the moment.

The claw things are cable lifters from AudioQuest.

I’ve been so focused on Sarah (literally) that I’ve forgotten to take pics of the Caintuck Baffles. I’ll try to remedy that soon. Love Love Love them.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 11/19/23 at 13:10:25

Congratulations, Kamran! I’m happy for you new acquisition and excited to hear your listening impressions.

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #47 - 11/19/23 at 17:53:19

Sir; all about titles? How about Dr. Racekam, a variation of Mr. Camshaft. I personally witnessed your overpowering presence at Decfest. I did a lot of listening at Decfest but I think I only talked to a few. Steve, his wife, Bob Z., Sarah & of course the lovely Veronica. Also several people while listening to music. I was so humbled in your presence to dare to make a peep. Racked by feelings of inadequacy. I now wish I would have at least said hello. You are a whirlwind!
     Rock on my friend, rock on. Ralph

P.S. I was very impressed with the sound in Randy’s SRO shed with a 2.3 & open baffles.

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 11/19/23 at 17:53:42

Awesome looking system there! Klipsch and SVS too.  [smiley=beer.gif] ...and these pics are fantastic with detail etc..  Will keep checking in on ya Kamron Smiley

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 11/19/23 at 18:00:59

How do You Measure Delight?

In glowing reviews of other products, I’ve sometimes used the help from the movie “The Prestige”, which explains the three acts of magic.

“Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called “The Pledge”. The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course… it probably isn’t. The second act is called “The Turn”. The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you’re looking for the secret… but you won’t find it, because of course you’re not really looking. You don’t really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn’t clap yet. Because making something disappear isn’t enough; you have to bring it back. That’s why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call “The Prestige”.”

Let’s apply these acts to Sarah:

The magician (Steve) shows us a bunch of components, including wires, chassis, a wood base, a transformer, capacitors, sockets, binding posts, tubes etc.  

The magician then meticulously assembles all of these in a beautiful amp.  You oooh and aaah, but you’re not clapping yet…

Finally, the magician starts to amplify music through said amp, and instantly transports you to another dimension, which in our case, is a live performance.  Not a facsimile of a performance, mind you—-an actual honest to God, appropriately scaled, live performance.

Now you CLAP like there’s no tomorrow, because that ladies and gents—was the magician’s third and final act—the ‘Prestige’.

To say that Sarah has exceeded my wildest expectations, is to put it mildly. She has been (and is) a revelation.  Forget about music for a second.  I find myself just staring and marveling at her beauty and gravitas. She has instantly become the center point, the queen of my rig, and every other component just bows down in reverence.

Everything, and I MEAN EVERYTHING has improved and I’m still early in the break-in period.  Where do I even start?  Perhaps with listing the setup:

DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
ZBIT: Full Throttle.  That’s the setting I use, when the ZR2 is bypassed.
ZR2: Bypassed
Pre: icOn 4 Passive Pre
Cabling to Sarah: TWL 10 Plus PC, Decware ZWIRE Speaker cables, and TWL Spirit II Single Ended Interconnects
Speakers: Li Audio Fast 15 drivers housed in Caintuck Audio’s beautiful two-tone Walnut and African Sapele baffles
Tubes: Stock complement from Decware
Impedance Switch: Hi
Voicing Switch: Back—for deeper soundstage

Mid-Range:

I used to comment with the Had amp on how the singer/band was in the room.  

I was wrong.  I have been humbled.

That was merely the projection of the singer in the room.  The actual singer has finally decided to drop by—come up close, and be a lot more personal.  I can’t get over this. I can’t. Listening to Tracy Chapman’s “Stand by Me” (Live), I was in tears. The intensity of emotions that the artist intended is coming through in such a truthful manner, that I’ve been just taken aback and have wondered on many a track, “so that’s what they were trying to share”.  It has been a profound realization.

Soundstage:

I’m a sucker for deep soundstages and one of the reasons I switched to OB last year was the additional depth it provides.  But it was just that—an additional, may 2-3 ft back at best, perhaps pushing 5 ft on it’s best day.  But this? Holy shit!  Sarah does 5 ft back while walking and chewing gum, and goes back double that distance with an equal amount of grace.  One of the tracks that really blew me away with the depth of the soundstage was Jazz Variants by o-zone percussion group.  I’ve heard this track multiple times, but not like this—-this was epic, with the percussion hits coming from like 10 ft back but without losing an iota of intensity!

Similarly, the width of the soundstage has gotten wider and the height taller, to delightful levels. But all of this still doesn’t really describe what makes this setting so devilishly compelling.  It’s as if Steve has figured out how to faithfully recreate the scale of a live band/concert. I’m in awe and tired of picking up my jaw from the floor.  Seriously Steve, would it be too much to ask Decware to pack a jaw holder in the shipping box as a must needed accessory?

Imaging, Blacker Blacks, Resolution, and Detail:

Instruments are more prominently etched within their respective spaces, where each instrument is awarded equal opportunity to shine under the spotlight vs. sacrificing one over the other.  With the Had amp, instruments at the outer edges of the soundstage always felt a bit weak or frayed.  Not so with Sarah.  She doesn’t care. She is faithful. She is benevolent. She listens to all her subjects with the same amount of respect.

The background is so god damn black that while listening to Jacintha’s “Moon River”, I thought the track had ended and was waiting for the next track to start, when she stated singing again for a couple of seconds to finish the track and I was just left stunned. I’ve listened to this track multiple times and should not have been fooled.  “What the hell just happened?”

I recall the feeling of excitement and awe when I switched from VHS to DVD, or from SD to HD to 4K on TV.  Well, that feeling is back and I haven’t been able to shake it off for the past week.  Yes, there is more meat on the bones.  But, there is more-a harmonic richness I was getting with the ZR2 engaged, without impacting the speed.

And because all of the above, I am hearing more details—something I thought I had already achieved or addressed. Nope. It’s a deeper listening with details emerging that I didn’t pay attention to before.  On “Dreams (Piano Version)” by Lissie, ironically, I never really heard the Piano until last night—always and only focusing on her vocals.  There was nothing else to pay attention to.  Last night, when I heard the Piano clearly for the first time high up within the soundstage—well, that was another holy shit moment.

But detail is a double-edged sword.  The downside (to some) is that you’re going to hear every imperfection too.  I’m now hearing all these imperfections in recordings that I didn’t know existed. But, that’s what makes it more human to me and I would accept that trade-off every day of the week.

As a result of all of the above, the presentation is without a doubt, more resolutely holographic compared to my Had amp.

My son had the best analogy that sums up this section so aptly.  He was like:

“Dad, it feels like we’re watching a movie in an IMAX theatre!”

Bass and Higher Frequencies:

I think my ZR2’s days are numbered.  

Yup, you heard that right.  While in the signal chain, I’ve continued to bypass it.  The way Sarah is pressurizing the room is insane given my KT77’s on the Had amp are rated for 10 watts per channel.  Sarah (with the three OC2 equivalents) is 7 watts, at best.  Bass hits are deeper, more pronounced, more textured.  The level of slam I’m experiencing with drum hits is mind-boggling.  While this trait was impressive from the get go, it’s got even better after 100 hours.  I can’t get enough of it.

And yes, there is more sparkle and satisfying zing at the top end.  It can occasionally come off as a bit bright, but that will season over time with more hours on the amp and tubes, not to mention, eventually a different compliment of tubes, and Steve’s network for the Fast 15s.  Not concerned.

Decay:

All I have to say here is that the notes have come out to play (no pun intended).

And they are in no hurry to leave…

Dynamics:  

I didn’t have to test this much.  I just had to play ‘Tin Pan Alley’ and was blown away.  Later I played “Private Investigations” and almost jumped out of my listening char.  Other tracks have further cemented this discovery—Sarah (by far) produces the best dynamic range I’ve heard in my audio journey so far.

Volume:

This is where my experience differs from Ghostship—I haven’t experienced any decrease in volume (yet). In fact, it’s the opposite—I had to lower the volume by 4 steps on my Autoformer based passive pre.

Control:

I’ve not previously thought about or talked about this aspect before, but I think it’s worth noting here.  I cannot fathom how a 6 watt SET has such an iron grip compared to a 10 watt Single-Ended Pentode amp.  I’ve played a few bass heavy tracks where the Had amp struggled to keep up.  Sarah, is blowing through the same tracks without breaking a sweat.  She always seems to be teasing me with:

“Is that all you’ve got?”

Conclusion:

I prefer not to overstay my welcome and will just end with this:

Every single second of the almost two year wait has been worth its weight in gold.  I’m truly, madly, deeply, in love.

Steve, what a “Prestige”!

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print