05/02/24 at 16:04:14 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Reflecting on Sarah (Read 24772 times)
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Re: Reflecting on Sarah
Reply #150 - 01/03/24 at 02:22:32

GS, I’m sitting 1-2 inches behind the Apex of an equilateral triangle.

No experience with the SE 5U4G, but as you can tell, Lon and I are big fans of the Aqua II! I like Lon’s description of big, more realistic sound from the Aqua in comparison to the 5U4G and 5AR4 that I tried. Bigger and more vivid.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #151 - 01/03/24 at 18:02:14

I put the SE 274b Aqua (older version) back into the UFO yesterday. I think I prefer it to the RCA 5u4g (50s?)

The Aqua has a lightness that is attached to density which I really like. The RCA wasn't as nuanced and didn't have the lightness and speed the Aqua has. Aqua has a more holographic presentation too.

I'm 1-2 inches past the apex too. In a bunch of different rooms with different equipment I usually end up in that listening position.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #152 - 02/01/24 at 06:58:50

Drowning in Krall’s Saliva and Other Stories

Ok, I got way ahead of myself with the title.  Let’s rewind and reflect for a moment, to the parting paragraph of my reflections post from 12/27.

In hindsight, a raging storm was at my doorstep, and I was completely oblivious.

Soon after commenting about Loreena Mckennitt’s floating vocals, the Voice of God (or as I have coined it, the VOG effect) became a monster.  

It’s one thing for certain tracks to have the vocals floating above your head, but when it happens 7 times out of 10, the universe is trying to tell you something.  

My speakers and or gear had never done that before.  Yes, Steve’s gear is extremely holographic, but this? No, this was something else.

Separately (and in parallel), I also wanted to address the drifting of vocals to the right, without resorting to channel balancing which my passive pre allows me to do.  The thought of overdriving one speaker via channel balancing just wasn’t sitting right with me for some reason.  I was pining for a more organic approach.

So I decided to mess with speaker placement to figure out what room node was igniting the VOG and how to lock Jennifer Warnes dead nut center in the Ballad of the Runaway Horse.

This trial and error took about two weeks. I moved them closer together, adjusted toe in, moved them forward and backwards, and adjusted height.  I listened and then I listened.

God, even if I listened to the ‘Ballad of the Runaway Horse’ in a 100 years, it will be too soon….

Anyways, I digress.

The end result was that I was able to lock in vocals dead center by placing the right speaker a couple of inches behind the left, and the VOG while diminished, was not completely gone.  I adjusted my listening position, slumping down a bit more, to negate it. Probably spent a couple of days researching alternative listening chairs, which in hindsight, seems ridiculous.  

Anyways, as soon as I was satisfied with my tinkering, I received the Wathen ECC88 driver pair tubes and the third OC2 VR for the input tube.  As soon as I put them in, I stated hearing this sputtering, squealing, buzzing sound intermittently from both speakers.  Completely random, sometimes lasting seconds, and sometimes a couple of minutes.  Suffice to say, it ruined the listening experience, which was a damn shame, because in-between the sputtering, the ECC88’s sounded sublime with the WE 300Bs.  There was no contest with the stock Russian 6H6N’s—the ECC88’s were just on another level.

That said, I also thought the ECC88’s were to blame for the sputtering because of the timing, but after a convo with Don, I decided to test out other tubes starting with the input tube.  

Rolled the input tube—no change
Was then convinced it was the rectifier so I rolled that too—no change (I was this close to e-mailing Sue from Sophia Electric)
Rolled the OC2 tube I got from Don regulating the input tube—no change
Rolled the OC2 tubes from another member regulating the driver tubes—no change
Finally changed the ECC88 pair, (thinking that must be it and that I should have trusted my instinct) back to the stock Russian 6H6N tubes—no friggin change

At this point, I was convinced that it was some sort of RF/EMI interference, it certainly sounded like it.  Started looking for anamolies and noticed that the the tip of one of my two ground rounds was submerged in melting snow.  Maybe that was it? Had my contractor throw some soil over the area to soak up the excess water, but no cigar.

Then I started thinking maybe it was Bluetooth related so I disconnected my Phillips Hue Wireless Bridge (mind you the Bridge has been in the rig for the past 3 years with no adverse effect)—but desperate times call for desperate measures and obviously, no change.

Then, on a whim, I took out the Western Electrics and put back in the stock Chinese tubes.

Well, I’ll be damned—t was the WE 300Bs.  Talk about winning the lottery.  The chances of both tubes being bad are astronomically low. And mind you, all this started well over 400 hours on those tubes and I took them out just after 500 hours.

Back to silence—no sputtering/buzzing/squealing and VOG all but eliminated except for a select few tracks where it was intentional (aka what the artist intended). Figuring out the noise issue took another two weeks. In other words, almost (emphasis on almost) the entire month of January has been a complete shit show.

I started the RMA process with WE and shipped out the pair today—they will hopefully receive it by Friday.  The support team at WE seemed equally perplexed.  They also stand by their tubes, so let’s see what their testing shows.  Regardless, I have a 5 year warranty on em. This is going to be interesting.  

Btw, I’m not necessarily saying that the VOG was a precursor to the tubes becoming audibly noisy, but the timing sure is weird.

This doesn’t mean I didn’t make any progress—the title obviously alludes to a paradigm shift, but this post is already obnoxiously long, so I’ll save Krall for later.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #153 - 02/01/24 at 11:18:14

Karmen, I think the title of the last post portrays the difficulty of January Embarrassed Good to find out that you hopefully got to the bottom of it!

VOC(voice over center) can be easily obtained by a slight turn of my head towards the favorable directional move. Turning right brings the voice to left and visa versa. In essence moving the left speaker back, with the preceeding example. In my room anyhow, I think.

Edit:
I realized that your acronym was changed in my response.  So I had to think why. Sorry.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #154 - 02/01/24 at 15:36:21

It still surprises me how often a simple change leads to a long drawn out ordeal in audio. Especially tubes, they can be squirrely bastards or a seductive muse.  I want to re-arrange some of my components and re-route the cables to tidy things up. I'm also scared something is going to change!

I wonder if WE will give any more insight once they examine the tubes.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #155 - 02/01/24 at 20:53:50

Yeah, trying to push Jan out of my mind and plough ahead.  And yes, can’t wait for WE to test and get back to me.  Hoping I’ll have some answers by next week.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #156 - 02/03/24 at 01:00:24

Part 2 (For those waiting to have closure on Diana)

In my time of turmoil, I received new speaker cables and interconnects from SRA, that I had ordered late December.  While waiting for said cables, I was second guessing whether the extra expense was worth it given I was repeatedly failing at pinpointing the noise.  Thankfully, I had figured out source just before the cables arrived.  The 2m length is comparatively less messy than my 3 meter Decware cables that I sold to another member.  The Mamushi interconnects are a beast to manage though.  I may have ordered just a tad bigger than I needed, but I’d rather have more length to play with vs. less. Things almost immediately started to get blacker, which is a trend I like to see.  Wiser heads than I suggest that I still need 200 hrs for the cables to completely settle, and I unequivocally take their word for it.

Funny thing—I was just going to put the speaker cables in and leave the interconnects until after I had burned the speakers cables, in an effort to evaluate each individually.

LOL—-That didn’t happen.  Within an hour of plugging the speaker cables in, I ended up connecting the interconnects as well.  So much for will power…

All this testing of where the noise was coming from also led me to isolating circuits, and I plugged in Sarah to the MajikBuss (with my source gear) vs. its dedicated circuit directly to the wall.  

Well damn, it sounded better that way.  

That said, I also didn’t want to run everything from one circuit either, so in a moment of weakness, I ordered the Puritan PSM 156 to transfer my source gear to my second dedicated circuit.  That came last Saturday and while I only have six days on it, the one-two punch of SRA cabling and the Puritan have taken the proverbial axe to the noisefloor.  Listening a couple of DB’s lower (or is that higher) on the passive pre, I’ve probably never heard the rig quite so black.  The imperfections in recordings are so clear and at least initially jarring, that I need to do a level set of expectations going forward.

More blacks means more detail, and when I heard with crystal clarity, Diana Krall’s saliva in a recent track I played (cannot for the life of me recall which one) that I did a double take—I mean you could literally drown in it—there was so much.  Well, that’s a new sensation.

I’ll take that as a win.  I mean what better way to drown?

Am I right, or am I right?

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #157 - 02/03/24 at 05:02:23

With you on the Puritan 156, Kamran. One of my more worthwhile (worth the money) recent audio purchases.

Randy

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #158 - 02/03/24 at 12:20:28

Now that the VOG effect is gone. How is the sound stage holography and immersion doing?

I think you made the right call with adding both the speaker and interconnect cables at the same time. Only difference I've found is the speaker cable will be a stronger influence of the same change, at least for the SRA cables.

Funny what our moments of weakness look like in this hobby. Yours turned out really well  :D

So this is something that happens to me sometimes. I'll put together a playlist or even play a record or digital album. A track is playing and want to make sure I remember it. Might be a something like you mention with Diana Krall's saliva, a really moving part, a truck going by outside the studio or something along those lines. I'll then quietly vacillate if I open my eyes and make a note of it or keep on rolling with the flow. Does anyone else do this? I find just like Kamran, I have a specific thing I remember vividly... except what the track was!

Does Diana Krall know how often her saliva is talked about?

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #159 - 02/03/24 at 12:47:33

Kamaran & GS, really?? I don't even recall Elvis Costello talking about Diana's saliva. I'm thinking that as her partner he should know. Hahaha.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #160 - 02/04/24 at 18:33:52

LOL HK—-after your reading your comment, I spent yesterday nervously looking over my shoulders for a not so amused Elvis Costello holding a guitar in a decidedly threatening stance!  Let me make this publicly clear—I referred to Krall’s Saliva in the most academic and respectful manner.

GS: I hear you on the struggle of recalling moving parts.  7 times out 10, I make a mental note and then forget it 20 min later.  I try to combat that by sharing my thoughts as quickly as possible on the forum and or this thread.  I also try to take a screenshot of the track, so I can refer back to it and recall.  

So for the past couple of days, I haven’t had the chance to do a critical listening session.  Instead of setting up my chair, I just plopped down on my couch, maybe 5 ft behind the sweet spot, and didn’t even bother to turn my dehumidifier off for a further reduction in noise in the room.  I was not really expecting to pick out major changes.

But I was wrong.

The following attributes are worth talking about:

1) Low-end Response
2) Imaging & Soundstage
3) Mid-Range Realism

The low end response has benefited the most with the cables and the Puritan. I was honestly a bit staggered when I heard it.  On the following track, which I heard Thursday night, I was marveling at how much larger the soundstage width seemed when I closed my eyes.  On the second day, I wasn’t even planning to play this track, but it came on, and I was picking up my phone to skip it, when the bass notes came on and had me totally dumbstruck.  It’s like overnight, this track had transformed.

One thing I’ve noticed for the past few days is that more than the soundstage size, it’s the imaging within the soundstage and air that has captured my attention.  The placement of instruments seems more etched and resolute, while having more air aka more room to breathe within their respective defined spaces.

Vocals—let me just say that even though I am currently listening to the stock Chinese tubes, the vocals seem even more spooky realistic, which I wasn’t expecting.

So, pretty happy with the changes as the cables and Puritan break-in.  I’m also expecting WE to get back to me early this week with their results.

Oh, and I might have another surprise this week in terms of tube options.

Stay tuned….

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #161 - 02/04/24 at 18:45:50

Oh annother observation I totally forgot to mention (as crazy as it sounds) is that I am also experiencing more disappearance of the speakers.  This is a bit mind boggling—they were already doing the disappearing act quite well, but it seems that there are layers to even that.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #162 - 02/06/24 at 10:48:20

I find there is value in passive listening—when working—how often does it grab my attention lure me into the music?

Speakers disappearing more is a new one for me, I get it it at the same time. I'm not sure how I would language it any better.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #163 - 02/06/24 at 16:34:15

Quote:
God, even if I listened to the ‘Ballad of the Runaway Horse’ in a 100 years, it will be too soon….

Quote:
In other words, almost (emphasis on almost) the entire month of January has been a complete shit show.

Both priceless.  

Makes you wonder who's stereo would sound better, the guy who works his ass off making it sound great or the guy who places a pair of 6 figure speakers up against the wall in his living room.

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #164 - 02/08/24 at 16:42:25

Thx Steve—I also plan to install a solid core door at the entry to the basement rig to make the room boundaries more symmetrical, so I am sure I will have to play around with adjustment a bit more in the near future.  But I am glad I took the time to get it to work right.  Although a bit of a bother, overall it was a lot of fun and got the room even better sounding.

Speaking of Steve, while he continues to get justifiable credit for Sarah and all the other amps, I also want to extend my admiration for the stock tube set for Sarah and especially the stock Chinese 300B tubes.  After having tried other tubes, including the WE, the Chinese tubes are really really good and dead silent! I am glad I chose them as a backup option.  In fact, if these were the only tubes available, I’d still be a happy camper.  

Now speaking of WE, I have an update here as well.  WE got back to me and said that they were able to reproduce noise in just one of the tubes, so they are replacing just the one and have shipped them back.  A bit of a bummer, as I would like both tubes to have the same mileage, but in the grand scheme of things (as long as the noise issue is addressed), with these tubes lasting 10K hours, both will be in similar functional capacity as I continue to use them over the long term.

Another interesting point—WE was quick to recognize Steve and Decware and were assured I wasn’t operating the tubes in a sub-standard amp.  They also said this is not a take it or leave it scenario necessarily and that if I continue to have issues, I still have recourse, so that provides me with some comfort.

Have had some great listening sessions over the past couple of days. Experimenting with gain riding with the ZBIT at 18 clicks (vs. 20) and a higher volume on the passive pre.  

The combination of the stock 300B tubes and the SRA cabling and Puritan is spooky quiet.  Yesterday, I was listening to the Decware Tim playlist that I think Tom shared last year and it suddenly ended and I was a bit surprised since I had the impression I was only half way done, but it was the silence in the beginning of the track “Atlas Mountains’ from Artist “Bliss’.  I was in the process of opening up my IPad to check and move on to another playlist, when the audible portion of the track started.  I was just floored.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #165 - 02/08/24 at 18:25:37

Quote:
Posted by: Kamran      Posted on: Today at 08:42:25

...After having tried other tubes, including the WE, the Chinese tubes are really really good and dead silent! I am glad I chose them as a backup option.  In fact, if these were the only tubes available, I’d still be a happy camper.  

That was exactly my experience as well, with my non-Decware 300B amp. If the only option was the Chinese tubes I would be fine with it, unfortunately knowing what else is possible I couldn't resist, and in the long run I'm glad I did. But  it is still hard for my Scottish Heritage to justify paying almost 10x more for TOTL 300Bs.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #166 - 02/10/24 at 05:37:57

We are at 3 months and 1000+ hours

I had thought of a great title for this post, but it’s buried somewhere in the deepest recesses of my mind, refusing to come out.  Oh well, we will have to do without it.

Update—based on John’s suggestion:

Fleshing Out

So I’ve been noticing how realistic the presentation feels lately.  This came to a head last night when the following track came on:

I’ve heard this before. Many times in fact.  But yesterday, my senses were in overdrive (in a good way).  Instead of hearing the sound of ping pong balls hitting a table or hard surface as reproduced by a stereo, I could swear there was a giant table with bouncing ping pong balls in the room.  I have never heard this track so uber realistic before.  That was a jaw dropping moment. I still can’t get over it.

I took another screenshot of the following track but for the life of me, can’t recall the specifics of why it wowed me.  I just know it sounded 10x better than on previous occasions.

Listened to Stormfront for a third time in a week and it sounded better still.

There is something about the change in low frequencies post the SRA cabling and Puritan, that I’m founding very profound.  Sarah seems to dig deeper and has a subtle chest rumbling growl that I haven’t noticed before.  I really dig it.  

Got Deoxit for the first time and used it on the input, VR, and the Sophia.  Will slowly make my way to other tubes and cables termination points over time.  The ease of inserting the VR tubes coupled with the brilliant session last night has made me a big fan.

Will leave you with the following pic.  I just love the way the sun was hitting the amp, and in particular the Aqua.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #167 - 02/10/24 at 12:05:04

How about, “Fleshing Out”?

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #168 - 02/11/24 at 05:03:57

John, I love it! Updating now…

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #169 - 02/11/24 at 14:02:18

Before lunch, you can also get coffee the next time we meet up Wink

Kidding aside, the pharse seem to fit your wording. She's developing very nicely.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #170 - 02/11/24 at 22:44:59

LOL John—-how about next time we meet, both coffee and lunch are on me?

Speaking of meeting up, I had a wonderful meeting with Dominick (Dom) two weeks ago.  We met up for lunch at a Diner, which considering our combined love and fascination with tube amplification, was an apt meeting place.

We plan to visit each others rigs soon.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #171 - 02/12/24 at 03:19:41

John,

Kamran and I had a great meeting.    We got to talk about our tube gear.  Once things level off…we plan to visit each others house for an extended listening session.  Your more than welcome to join us when that time comes.  I know your in PA…so if the drive is not too long, we would love for you to come.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #172 - 02/12/24 at 04:26:53

The Prodigal Son Returns

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #173 - 02/12/24 at 11:57:22

I plan on being out that way late September this year for the Segall Century in Salisbury Maryland. A bit south of you two but maybe a meet up could fit. Sean and I met at the Vinly Man's warehouse this past summer. It is always a good time meeting people with the same passion...conversation flows easy with one's story triggering another's experience. A true time warp.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #174 - 02/13/24 at 02:03:04

The Vinyl Man’s Warehouse sounds like great place…where is that?   When you make your way through NJ in September, shoot us a PM so we can try to coordinate a meeting.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #175 - 02/13/24 at 06:12:08

Definitely hit us up when you’re making your way to Maryland come September. And if it doesn’t work out, hopefully we’ll get to see you at Decfest 2024 a couple of weeks later.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #176 - 02/13/24 at 18:41:17

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.ve...

Jerry past just recently but his son Willy still opens the place a couple days a week.
When in the Jersey area surely will look you guys up.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #177 - 02/14/24 at 03:44:13

John….thanks for the info on the Vinyl Man’s Warehouse.  If I’m up in the Pittsburg area….I’m definitely going to check that place out; obviously see if you are around to meet up.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #178 - 02/17/24 at 06:01:48

Too tired and too overwhelmed to write much now. But, I’ll leave this for eagle-eyed observers.  What has changed in the rig?

GS is not allowed to answer…

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #179 - 02/17/24 at 12:11:30

Kam has a door!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #180 - 02/17/24 at 14:14:13

Kamran…..love the space!  The cables lifters look great!!  Once I get my weekends off in late March/April….let’s plan on having some listening sessions.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #181 - 02/17/24 at 16:17:49

Gilf, you nailed it! It’s 99% installed at this point. Only missing the door knob—had to order a flush mount type so the door can extend fully to the inside wall when open. It’s supposed to arrive today. Last night, I had to prop it closed with a bunch of records leaning against it and a rag stuffed in the hole where the knob would go.

I’m going to expand on the impact later as I want to have another couple listening sessions but one thing is for certain—it’s better and there is a major reduction of noise leaking upstairs, allowing me to rip it to a desired volume and not have the kids humming the same songs when I go up, lol. That is a big win.

Dom, I’m in the process of changing the cable lifters thanks to a tip from Roger. While these AQ lifters work, I’m not a big fan of the spider looking legs and they are a bit wobbly. Stay tuned. Yes, looking forward to spring and our planned sessions!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #182 - 02/17/24 at 20:04:26

Kamran…the cable lifters that HK posted look nice.  If you are handy, try some small blocks of walnut or mahogany, and chamfer out a channel for the cables to lie on top of.  Or…you could take a small block of the wood of your choice, and drill a hole dead center and feed the speaker wire through it.  I’m thinking 3 or 4 small blocks per side would be enough to keep the cable suspended.  This way you could stain them to match your Sarah or your speakers.  Personally I think that would be a great finishing touch.

Something like this comes to mind….

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1621622522/paddock-wood-cable-risers-set-of-4?gpla=...;

They can be built for way less than what that guy is charging.  Sky is the limit on the design, but just to give you some options.

Dom

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #183 - 02/18/24 at 11:18:59

Quote:
I’m definitely going to check that place out; obviously see if you are around to meet up.

Yes, definitely get a hold of me. Willy is an accomidating guy - if he is not tied up with other things he will open up the warehouse with a phone call.

Quote:
hopefully we’ll get to see you at Decfest 2024 a couple of weeks later.

I know your into the trains, planes, rental car scene but wouldn't it be cool to meet up in a coordinated effort attending Decfest this year. You and Dom drive here meet Sean and I where we could take over finishing the drive to Steves.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #184 - 02/18/24 at 12:31:12

I’m game—that does sound cool!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #185 - 02/18/24 at 16:40:44

Yes that does sound enticing.  We’ll definitely have to talk more about that.  I love a good road trip!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #186 - 02/19/24 at 11:11:15

I can not speak for Sean, but I would definitely be up for it also.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #187 - 02/22/24 at 04:49:05

The Door has Closed on this Review

After some convincing, my significant agreed to adding a door to the entry of the basement.  The selling point was twofold:

1. it would add symmetry to the room painting a better sonic picture — all for the sake of her beloved and his crazy hobby

2. Prevent noise leakage upstairs

She has been a fantastic partner and agreed to yet even this request.  It was not necessarily an easy decision because of concerns that the entry to the actual usable area would become even narrower (and it was narrow to begin with) and then whether the door should swing in to the basement steps or the actual useable area. I proceeded to buy a solid core door couple of weeks ago, which was installed last Friday.  We decided to swing it in to the basement as it was going to be too tight to open in to the staircase.  Even though I had covered my 2 channel and HT rig with plastic drop in sheets the night before the install, I was sweating bullets the day of the install when my contractor informed me that he would need to cut the walls to install the door frame.  He knows how anal I’m about my rig and brought his commercial vacuum, promising to gobble up dust and debris immediately.  

I’ve had a couple of listening sessions to evaluate since and I’m thankful I waited because it has taken me some time to grasp the full impact.

Let’s start with noise leakage.  

Big, easy, win here!

There has been more than a significant reduction of music leaking upstairs. The fact that my wife hasn’t continued to complain (post install) about yet another structural and or sonic addition to the rig, or text me to turn the volume down, means she is digging the results.

The review could end right here, but that would cheat you audiophiles of the impact within the room.

So here’s what I was expecting with Symmetry:

The right channel would sound better:

Check—notes/instruments are decidedly more resolute, but there’s more—the way they hang in the air (higher) and the way they decay (a tad longer) is damn sexy.  While all instruments sound better, I think Guitars are a standout.

There is a delicious sizzle and bite in addition to being more full bodied in tone and having more air to breathe in, that has me captivated.

No scratch that—drums are sounding fabulous as well.

A great example is the ‘Drum Solo’ track by Manu Katché. I’ve always loved this track, but the way the percussion was pressurizing the room, the impact of the drum set—it was phenomenal.

Maybe tomorrow, I’ll fall in love with how the piano or violin sounds. Such is the state of affairs…

Better Pressurization of the Room:

Check—with the door closed, there is definitely an appreciable improvement in the low end response—the way I could feel the bass in the past couple of days indicates it’s going down a tad more cleanly.  A standout track in the past couple of days was the Ray Charles ‘Fever’.  The way this track exploded on to the scene took my breath away.  I’m still thinking about it.  On tracks where bass notes were subtle and might have been previously undetectable, now seem fully formed, leading to many moments where I thought to myself, ‘so that’s what I was missing..’.

I am going to lump better Dynamics in to the Better Pressurization section.  There is an appreciable increase here too.  I put on good ol Stevie Ray Vaughan’s ‘Tin Pan Alley’ and it was the most dynamic presentation I’ve heard to date.  I kept checking my Decibel meter app during this track to ensure I hadn’t set the volume too high, but nope, I was firmly within my desired range and yet, it was undoubtedly more alive.

Adjusting the volume down on my pre to listen to my preferred 75-85 db range:

Check—That was literally the first thing I had to do—turn the volume down. Wiith better pressurization, it’s coming up to my desired listening level at a lower db setting on my autoformer.

Here’s what I didn’t expect (and maybe should have):

Vocals:

Vocals were already to die for, but now they have this added clarity and gravitas, that I didn’t know I needed. I won’t even bother with a specific example because every track with vocals sounds gorgeous. That was a pleasant bonus and along with the noise reduction upstairs, one of the first things I noticed.

Balance:

The left channel sounding better—This was a very very pleasant surprise.  Looks like an imbalance in symmetry impacts a room in unexpected ways, and having the door closed, has helped the left side of the room as well.  There is more space for instruments to breathe on both sides of the room.  It’s as if the open doorway on the right was sucking the life out of the opposing side of the room, and now balance has been restored.

Soundstage and Imaging

I didn’t expect the soundstage to get wider, taller, and deeper but all three things have happened.  Well, I’ve been noticing all three but it was intermittent, as if held back by an invisible force, except for imaging-it has been more precise as of late, laser-etched even. I think the credit here is partly Sarah maturing over 1100 hrs but mostly my SRA speaker cables settling in at 200 hrs, the same time the door was installed. Talk about timing.

Changing Speaker Placement:

Surprisingly, I haven’t felt an overwhelming need to move and or tilt them around—so they stay put for now. Maybe part of it is that I don’t want to go through the ‘Ballad of Runaway Horse’ exercise so soon….good enough for now.

The Son Test:

As always, I took the opportunity to drag my son down to the basement and sat across from him so I could gauge his facial reactions.  He didn’t disappoint.  On one track, his eyes just bugged out and he looked at me just dumbfounded.  Disregarding my own experience over the past couple of days, I became almost giddy with excitement—-the kind of feeling during that instant when you realize, you just struck gold.

But that’s not even the crazy part…

So he sits in my sweet spot and I sit on the sectional very close to the right speaker.  Whenever I do that, I get mentally prepared for the soundstage to collapse from my vantage point, a monochromatic presentation from the sound source closest to me.  

I wasn’t prepared for what I experienced.

The Soundstage didn’t collapse.  

Everything about it—-the phantom center, the stereo separation, was intact.  Only my perspective changed—I was just experiencing it from another angle. Hell, I even noticed an instrument placed on the left channel not only clearly come from the left side of the room, but also hitting way left of the speaker—-that just floored me.  For the first time, I actually enjoyed listening from that position.

The very last track I heard before shutting off the system earlier tonight was Sara Bareilles’ ‘Come Around Soon’.  

I was there.  

The auditorium full of fans was wider.

And I swear I heard a female fan sob (for a fleeting second) three rows in front, to the right of center.

It’s either that or one of those ‘I’m not crying, you’re crying’ situations….

IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #188 - 02/22/24 at 14:48:31

Nice update Kamran...I always wonder when reading this thread or others discussing how their room/system sounds how much different it may be from mine; better or worse. A moment of FOMO passes over me even knowing I am beyond happy with what I currently have, and then knowing it will be my secondary system when the primary comes home in a couple months.

Currently set my room up on a diagonal in order to use standard length cables. That changed everything for the better. After two weeks I have yet to hear any music causing an irritable base bump. I'm sure I will as that issue needs treatment more than setup changes, however it is much improved.

Looking forward to the next update you provide.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #189 - 02/26/24 at 03:41:55

Thanks Lon.  I’m partly kicking myself for not seriously thinking of adding a door sooner.  It has been a game changer.  And it’s not like the sans door music scene sucked—-it was still fantastic—-but things just went up several notches.

Having a swell time with the Cryotone 12AU7-WCL Long Plate—-the increase in resolution (to use an audio cliché) seems like going from 4K to 8K (and I’m still burning it in), a further increase in blackness (and here I thought my Siemens was dead silent) and a wider, open soundstage.  

And of course, I was impatient, so I decided to put in the 5U4G and took out my Sophia.  For now, I am happy with the combo and plan to break it alongside my new Western Electric 300Bs—-which are due back from the mothership tomorrow.  Well technically one of them—I already have one replacement tube and the other one is due tomorrow.

Fingers crossed…

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #190 - 03/01/24 at 02:55:38

The Return of the Jedi

4th day of break-in from scratch.  So far they are proving to be even quieter  (under normal operating conditions) compared to the original pair.  Let’s hope that continues and they don’t turn to the dark side.

IP Logged
RonP
Verified Member

Reply #191 - 03/01/24 at 03:34:23

Butcher Block Acoustics are some more of the good guys in the audio business!

Nottingham Ace Spacedeck TT w/Heavy Kit + AudioMods S6 + SoundSmith Paua mk II • Modwright PH9.0XT • Cambridge CXNv2 (ModWright) & CXC • Modwright LS99 • Decware TORII MK5 • PI Audio UberBUSS • TriodeWireLabs Power Cables • Clayton Shaw Caladans (Ordered)
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #192 - 03/01/24 at 06:58:03

+1 Regarding Butcher Block products and people.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #193 - 03/01/24 at 18:13:24

Wow! Look at that blue glow!

So over all the tubes are quieter than previously? that's a nice bonus for going through the replacement process with WE.

I'm also a fan of Butcher Block Acoustics.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #194 - 03/02/24 at 20:12:31

Yup, love me some Butcher Block! I probably will get another platform this year, but not sure which one yet.

Yup, the lovely blue glow is back and yes, in comparison to the original pair, they are quieter- so that’s some consolation for my troubles at least.

Dom: Sorry completely forgot to close the loop with you on the cable risers.  I would be up for DIY had I not already ordered with Bill.  The good news is that the new risers are solid and I much prefer them over the AQ’s.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #195 - 03/03/24 at 18:32:47

Hey Kamran….no worries.  I’m glad the cable risers are working out for you. I can’t wait to come over for a listening session.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #196 - 03/06/24 at 04:20:25

Good News and Bad News

Ok, out with the bad news first: I may be the first person in history with a Cryotone 12AU7-WCL that failed within the first 100 hrs.  On Sunday, when I fired up the system, heard a loud pop on the right channel and no music came out of that channel, while the left was fine.  With the baggage I have with the WE’s, I swapped them first and no change.  Then I swapped the drivers, no change.  Then I took out the 12AU7 and replaced with an RCA Clear Top and voila!   The 12AU7-WCL has been sent back to Wathen for further evaluation.

The Good news is that I received my ZBIT (I had one on a long term loan) on Monday.  It has the gold knob with the Decware logo.  Anyways, I decided to open it up fully (been using it on 18 clicks for the past month or two) with the amp on 75% volume and I absolutely loved tonight’s listening session. Was listening to Ray Brown Trio’s (Live at the LOA), which I am really familiar with and it sounded more dynanamic, detailed, wide, and punchy. Gene Harris on piano. Man….just wow! Played a bunch of other instrumental tracks that sounded equally as amazing.  I guess the WE’s are also starting to open up…

I also elected to get the Decware amp brush.  Just my way of appreciating the sonic bliss this family has brought in to my home.  It looks good, but I haven’t had a chance to use it yet.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #197 - 03/10/24 at 05:36:21

Stupendous

For a bunch of reasons, I couldn’t go to the local Diana Krall concert last week, so I decided to have one at home and played her ‘Live in Paris’ album for the umpteenth time.  

It sounded way more energetic and bright than I’m accustomed to, which was messing with my mind.  Then I realized that when I took out the malfunctioning Cryotone, I had put in the RCA Clear Top vs. the Siemens.  My initial impressions (from previous usage) were that this tube was bright (or at least tipping my system over to be bright and edgy) and listening to the entire album and some other tracks over the next day just cemented that experience.  I don’t see myself rotating the RCA regularly.  That said, I strangely still enjoyed the change of pace (at least for one night).

On Friday, I replaced the RCA with the Siemens and I was back in business. No hint of brightness, fuller, more impactful lower end, and more meat on the bones.  So far, the Cryotone 12AU7 is the only one (from what I own) that bests the Siemens. I also tuned the voicing switch backwards after 2 months and was not ready for what followed.  Sarah sounded so stupendously good—I was just stunned.  I wasn’t even sitting even in my sweet spot—opting to lounge two ft behind on the couch and the soundstage was just….unbelievable. I decided to stay put for the rest of the session to gauge if this was a one track thing or if it was consistently spectacular.  

It was the latter.

I was so desperate for others to hear what I was hearing that I called my kids downstairs and while my elder son was nodding his head, my baby girl had this frown on her face. I guess she doesn’t get the genius of ‘Take Five’, so I had to play some ‘Imagine Dragons’ tracks and then she was also engaged.  It was a fun night and I just didn’t want to turn the system off.  

Of note…while I was agape with this glorious musical extravaganza, Steve was having his own simpatico mind-bending episode with Sarah and the HeadWreckers in Peoria.  Felt strongly connected to him and the shop across a thousands miles.

Sarah Gets a Deep Clean

Speaking of Steve, I was inspired with his amp cleaning video so I got myself a Decware brush and 90% alcohol, but stayed away from using any mineral spirits—-sorry Steve, need to draw the line there, lol.

It went well (see pics) and I also took the opportunity to Deoxit all the tubes except the WE’s.  When I turned the amp on, it was even quieter than usual on start-up and my heart sank for a fraction of a second, thinking that I screwed up the cleaning somehow.

But no, everything was fine.  Just turned the amp off after 10 hours.  It was dead silent, and sounded as glorious (if not more) compared to last night.  Is it the WE’s opening up, or the ZBIT breaking in, or the cleaning, or the deoxiting? Who knows?  That said, I now adhere to the following mantra:

‘If you take care of Sarah, she will take care of you.’

12 tails online 2

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #198 - 03/10/24 at 14:46:56

How many hours have you put on the RCA Cleartop? That was a fresh tube when I sent it to you. The Siemens was burned in already.

Why did you skip the Deoxit on the WEs?

Amp looks fantastic!

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #199 - 03/10/24 at 19:49:31

I loved that cleaning video as well. Nice job, Steve!

Kamran, where did you get the brush? I don't see it on the website. I know it's just a paint brush but would love to have a Decware branded one.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print