Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 06:43:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aric Audio preamp for Rachael (Read 2058 times)
Coqui
Verified Member

Aric Audio preamp for Rachael
10/01/23 at 12:55:55

I am on the waiting list (6-7 months wait) for a Rachael and I have a second spot that I am planning to use for a preamp, most likely the CSP3. However, I would also like to get a ZP3 but don't want to wait 3-4 years or whatever the wait time is now for Decware. My questions is: Has anyone heard of a small company in Massachusetts call Aric Audio? They make products that are similar to Decware and I think the wait list is a lot shorter. I am tempted to order the Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Linestage Preamp. By doing this, I could use my second spot on the wait list to get a ZP3 phono preamp.

Does anybody has experience with this company and, more specifically, with  this preamp? Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ramón

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Aric Audio preamp for Rachael
Reply #1 - 10/01/23 at 17:19:49

I'd never heard of Aric Audio, but their gear looks really good to me. In general, and with all due respect to Decware, given a choice I like octal tubes like the 6SN7 better than miniature 9 pins tubes. If you are looking for a Decwareish company that I do have experience with I can recommend Mapletree Audio in Canada:

https://www.mapletreeaudio.com/

I have their phono stage and it is excellent. I think their linestage would be an excellent option.

Also in Canada is Space-tech Labs, from whom I purchased a 300B amp. They have a wide range of preamps (and phono stages) and I think they do excellent work as well.

http://www.thebestamp.com/

FWIW I'm in California but shipping from Canada was not a problem in either case.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #2 - 10/01/23 at 18:56:30

Ramon,

I have an Aric Audio Unlimited II preamp.  This was Aric's entry-level pre that I think he's discountinued (assume not enough margine to make it worthwhile for a small shop).  I've had the pre for ~18 months and its been great.  Working with Aric was great; similar to the Decware family feel.  He's knowledgeable and approachable.  He let me upgrade the caps and delete a few things I didn't need.  Out the door the amp was $1600 delivered and the remote's been great for my lazy ass Smiley.  Its been flawless and well worth the price.  Would expect the linestage would be another level completely.  

Hope this helps

ChrisC

Smiley

CXC, CXN (MWI), ZROCK2, Aric Audio Unlimited, Rachael, Omega CAMs
  IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/01/23 at 19:03:43

Hello CAJames,

Thanks so much for the tip! I will check these options and see what happens.

It is so great to be able to benefit from the advice of so many experienced fellow Decware owners.

Thanks again!

Ramón

IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 10/01/23 at 19:05:17

Hello ChrisC,

Your feedback is super helpful and I think I am going to give Aric's owner a call.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks so much again!!

Ramón

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 10/01/23 at 19:23:10

In your shoes I'd look into this Decware designed and built amp for ZMF headphones that is basically a CSP3 preamp customized for this manufacturer. Looks amazing.

Not sure how long the wait will be. . . an email to them may gather some info.

https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/amps-dacs/products/decware-zmf-otl

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/01/23 at 20:42:57

Thanks for the tip Lon. I'll look into it.

Ramón

IP Logged
RonP
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 10/02/23 at 02:05:41

I will give some positive feedback for Aric as well. I was going to have him build me a custom pre amp at one point. I demo'd one of his lower end models with a similar tube arrangement as to what we were planning. It sounded great! He's great to work with.

I had every intention to go ahead with that custom built pre-amp later in the year when I fell into a major deal on my BAT-33VK.

Now that I have the Tori in the main room, I've already started thinking about having Aric build me an integrated system for the office early '24.

tl;dr I would not hesitate to recommend Aric

Nottingham Ace Spacedeck TT w/Heavy Kit + AudioMods S6 + SoundSmith Paua mk II • Modwright PH9.0XT • Cambridge CXNv2 (ModWright) & CXC • Modwright LS99 • Decware TORII MK5 • PI Audio UberBUSS • TriodeWireLabs Power Cables • Clayton Shaw Caladans (Ordered)
  IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 10/02/23 at 02:20:14

Hello RonP,

Thanks for your feedback! It gives me confidence to hear that several people, including you, speak so highly about Aric and his products.

I already contacted him and he replied. It seems that he is researching the specs of the Rachael before he gets in touch with me again.

Thanks again!

Ramón

IP Logged
DRHamp
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 12/02/23 at 13:37:37

I will add my endorsement for Aric Audio as well.  I currently own 2 of Aric's linestage preamps - the first, one of his earlier Transcend 6SN7 linestage which I'm running in front of my Rachel.  I also have one of Aric's Super 6SN7 linestage preamps running in front of an Aric Audio Super 2A3/45 amp and both linestages are excellent and perform flawlessly.  As mentioned before, Aric is very approachable and will work closely with you both pre and post sale.  He is a very talented builder and an all around great guy.  I'm now considering one of his 300B SET amps.

IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 12/02/23 at 18:58:12

Thanks DrHamp,

I have the Aric Super Line 6SN7 Linestage preamp on a box waiting for the Decware Rachel amplifier. I'm curious to know more about your impressions of the Aric preamp and Rachael combo. I'm 5-6 months away on the Decware 's waiting list for the Rachael.

Thanks for sharing!

Ramón

IP Logged
DRHamp
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 12/07/23 at 15:44:57

Hey Ramon - I think the Aric linestage just adds another layer of fullness and depth to the already outstanding Rachel.  I initially ran the Rachel with an Axiom passive preamp and liked that a lot just wanted a bit more gain.  The Aric added the gain as well as that other layer of fullness - I really like the combo.  That's all with the Transcend Aric --- The Super 6SN7 improves on that significantly.  
Failed to mention, there was noticable improvement in soundstage both width and depth

IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 12/07/23 at 21:56:54

Hi DrHamp,

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the Aric pre-amps and the Rachael. It is difficult to have about 5-6 months left before it is my turn for the Rachael. I will post my impressions when I have my Aric pre and Decware Rachael running.

Take care,

Ramón

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print