Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 07:12:28 

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Classical Music Thread (Read 32483 times)
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Classical Music Thread
Reply #400 - 04/20/24 at 03:54:42

There are lots of recordings of Haydn's London Symphonies. But none (that I know) are as lush and lovely as Colin Davis's recording with the Concertgebouw, in glorious analog sound.

On CD.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #401 - 04/20/24 at 20:37:29

What did Igor Stravinsky do for an encore after writing Rite of Spring, one of the most revolutionary pieces in the history of Western art music? He wrote Les Noces (The Wedding), a piece that is also unique and revolutionary, if not very well known. It is scored for solo voices, chorus, a bunch of percussion and 4 (?!) pianos. And I'll admit the first time I heard it (or a part of it) I wasn't sure it was even music as the word is generally understood. It is the finale of Stravinsky's "Russian Primitivism" phase, including Firebird and Rite of Spring and it is certainly primitive. It is based on Russian folk wedding songs but the emphasis is much more on rhythm and tone than melody and harmony. Not my favorite thing on the menu, but certainly worth ordering once and a while.

16/44 FLAC download.

Both Leonard Bernstein and Karl Ancerl have made outstanding recordings of Les Noces, but I like the one by the RIAS Kammerchor.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #402 - 04/20/24 at 22:58:33

After Stravinsky's Russian Primitivism I needed to warm down with some French Expressionism.

On CD

The Quartetto Italiano is on everyone's short list of the great string quartets of all time, and the reasons are obvious: luscious string tone, impeccable musicianship and a perfect dose of Italianate lyricism. And they hit the Ravel and Debussy String Quartets out of park, across the street and into the next block.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #403 - 04/21/24 at 05:29:36

Listening to "Chant of the Templiers" by Marcel Perez, Ensemble Organum:

The liner notes indicate that the manuscript for this music is from the late twelfth century.  I think of music from that time as "classical" and hopefully belongs in this thread.  It is purely vocal music, with seven voices.  The recording is very reverberant.

For me it falls into the category of music that I like but do not feel a strong urge to "study."  I listened to this a lot while working at home during COVID - while I like the music, for me it does not seem to distract me and demand my attention, so I liked to have it on while I did my work.  Which in some ways strikes me as being odd, as I also think that hearing this music "back in the day" must have been an incredible experience.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #404 - 04/21/24 at 14:56:21

Nothing wrong with chant IMO, but it isn't really my thing. Fast forward a couple hundred years however and you get to some of my all time favorite music: the polyphonic choral music of the high renaissance. And one of the greatest hits is Thomas Tallis' Spem in alium for 8 choruses of 5 voices.  I have a few recordings, none better than the King's College Choir.

On CD

From the King's College Choir box in beautiful (mostly) analog sound.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #405 - 04/22/24 at 16:00:23

Another great box of Renaissance polyphony.

On CD.

I was enjoying disc 32, a selection of late 16th century choral music by Giaches de Wert.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #406 - 04/22/24 at 23:03:42

So the Germans invented the field of music criticism. And, perhaps predictably, declared themselves the winners. Which means for a century or more the conventional wisdom is that the Austro-German tradition of classical music is "better" than the Russian or Eastern European or (esp.) the French. Which, IMO, is ridiculous as an academic conclusion, but at the same time my personal preference, if I were banished to the proverbial desert island would be to listen to Bach, Beethoven, Brahms and Brucker and a few others mostly in the Austro-German tradition. And if one wanted a big chunk of said Austro-German tradition in one convenient box, in performances that are widely considered the reference (or should be) one would want the Eugen Jochum EMI Icon box.

On CD.

Unfortunately long out of print, and AFAIK not even available for streaming. Which just shows how dumb the record labels can be. I was enjoying the Brahms symphonies.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #407 - 04/23/24 at 03:28:55

More Brahms. Late in life Brahms' work was infused with what the commentators call "autumnal melancholy." If you aren't sure what that sounds like I suggest the Clarinet Quintet, Op.115.

On CD.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #408 - 04/24/24 at 03:24:31

Chopin wrote some of the most popular, and instantly recognizable, piano music of all time. But his scherzos (scherzi) are a little different. The have more contrast, and dynamics, than one usually associates with Chopin and sound kinda like they could have been written by Franz Liszt, YMMV. Pretty much every important pianist has recorded them, and for a lot of people Arthur Rubinstein is the last word. But for me, I pick Ivan Moravec.

On CD, from the Portrait box.

The collection is on the Czech Supraphon label but the recording of the scherzos was actually a Dorian, done in the Troy Savings Bank Hall. Which is one of the best places on Earth to record a piano.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #409 - 04/24/24 at 23:02:26

More Chopin.

24/96 FLAC Download.

Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli didn't make a lot of recordings, but the ones he did make are (mostly) amazing. This is some of the most beautiful piano playing I know. In fact my favorite pianist, Ivan Moravec (see above) was also a big fan.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #410 - 04/25/24 at 02:54:46

It seems like I can't go for more than a couple days without listening to (at least) one string quartet from the Tokyo Beethoven cycle. Today is was Op. 130 in B-flat.

16/44 FLAC Download

They play with such mechanical perfection: flawless intonation, perfectly blended sonority, precise attacks and rhythm, that you might think they were a machine. But the also play with an abundance genuine human feeling so there is no question they are in fact 4 supremely accomplished musicians.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #411 - 04/27/24 at 16:21:34

I was listening to Jeno Jando's admirable (and almost free ) Beethoven piano sonata cycle.

16/44 FLAC download

And reflecting on one of the most recognizable piano licks of all time: the opening of the Moonlight Sonata. The story goes that "Moonlight" was coined by the publisher because the first movement reminded him of the moonlight on Lake Geneva, which I just don't hear. But, and this is something I've always wondered about, the first movement is actually written in cut time, which (for non-music readers) means it should be played twice as fast as it is performed. The music is pretty easy, and even a very modestly equipped pianist such as myself could play it at the actually indicated tempo (sometimes on the Bösendorfer Imperial Concert Grand that would hang around the youth orchestra practice rooms) and when played like that, it does indeed feel kinda like moonlight on a lake. FWIW/YMMV.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #412 - 04/27/24 at 16:40:53

Currently enjoying this Concerto in my work vehicle streamed from Qobuz.  Track #2 Adagio is one of my favorites.  I’m plugged into the Aux input with my Audioquest Dragonfly Red to squeeze out as much as I can from a vehicle’s sound system.   I had this playing last night through my Zen sisters, and the sound was just captivating.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #413 - 04/28/24 at 00:33:11

I don't know if JB has given up on his Beethoven Symphony Cycle, but I haven't. I'm up to number 6, The Pastoral.

16/44 FLAC Download.

The Pastoral is all about the wind section and I went with Eugen Jochum and the Concertgebouw. Neither the playing nor the recording disappoints.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #414 - 04/28/24 at 01:41:34

Happy listening, James!

The sixth is my favorite Beethoven symphony - and especially the first movement that feels expansive and powerful.  I have read that the even-numbered symphonies are considered by some as "lesser" symphonies - while I am not one who can judge the merits of different symphonies on an absolute basis, this is the symphony that really gets me.  Perhaps it is because this is the first piece of classical music I can remember hearing!

I also remember feeling annoyed when I later saw the movie "Soylent Green" that used a "butchered" version of the first movement - why couldn't they use the real music rather than their "editing" of it?

I have the Beethoven 9 Symphonien performed by the Philidelphia Orchestra, conducted by Riccardo Muti:

The first recording of it that I heard was of Josef Krips conducting the London Symphony Orchestra on Everest Records (1962):

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #415 - 04/28/24 at 03:37:33

Quote:
Posted by: Tone-Deaf      Posted on: Today at 17:41:34
Happy listening, James!

The sixth is my favorite Beethoven symphony - and especially the first movement that feels expansive and powerful...

Thank you, and happy listening to you as well!

I guess my favorite movement is the second. It is just so... pastoral.

Quote:
...I have read that the even-numbered symphonies are considered by some as "lesser" symphonies...

Don't believe everything you read . There are no "lesser" Beethoven symphonies. Nos. 3, 5 and 7 are more dramatic, or heroic, where 4, 6 and to some extent 8 are more relaxed and introverted. But they are all very great. I've said before I'm glad I don't have to choose one Beethoven symphony, but if did it would be the 4th. So there's that.

Quote:
...I also remember feeling annoyed when I later saw the movie "Soylent Green"...

You are not alone.

Quote:
...The first recording of it that I heard was of Josef Krips conducting the London Symphony Orchestra on Everest Records...

Interesting. I own several Beethoven Symphony cycles, and have heard many others but not Josef Krips, although I'm well aware of it. I remember in the early days of CD I was in the Tower Records on Sunset Blvd when the manager came in with a brand new box of the Krips Beethoven Symphonies and started asking each of the customers how much they thought it cost. This when when virtually every CD was like 17 dollars. The whole box was $19.99, but for some reason I didn't buy it then and I haven't bought it since. FWIW I just checked on Amazon and it is available used for $168.99, so I guess I'll wait a little longer.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #416 - 04/28/24 at 14:59:43

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #417 - 04/28/24 at 16:11:40

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #418 - 04/28/24 at 17:46:48

Nice choices Geno. I had that same Kondrashin/Mahler 9 recording back in the day (when I would buy pretty much any Mahler 9 I saw) but the records were so trashed I listened for about 5 minutes and it went in the dumpster. I don't know the Boult but am interested in the Everest 35mm recording.

I just got my own Everest recording this morning:

16/44 FLAC download.

I found it for $12.50 for a download at Presto. I've only listened to a little but the sound is good and the interpretations are pretty much what I'd expect from Krips: leisurely but not slow and with a bit of emphasis on the lower voices, which is never a bad thing in Beethoven.  

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #419 - 04/28/24 at 19:37:53

Hello, James.  Glad you found the downloads for $12.50 instead of $169 on Amazon!

Also, in my other post, I should have said: "I have read on the internet that the even-numbered symphonies are considered by some as "lesser" symphonies."  Isn't OK to believe everything we read if it is on the internet?   Wink

Hello, Geno.  I think that Mahler first symphony LP on the Everest label may be the same one that my parents had.  That is another of my favorite symphonies, probably in part because it was one of the first I heard at an early age!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #420 - 04/29/24 at 04:29:48

Hi Tone and James.

I tried to respond earlier in the day, but my iPhone causes a time out. I don’t have a computer at home at present. I’m trying this on Google Chrome.

I’ve been collecting Mercury Living Presence recordings for several years, but only found out about Everest in the past year.

I just got the Mahler last week. I like it but not nearly as much as my copy of Bruno Walter’s 1960 recording on Columbia - performance and recording are better IMHO.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #421 - 04/29/24 at 05:52:13

Hi, Geno.  Sorry you are having issues with your phone - I am sufficiently "tech challenged" that I only post by computer!

Your comment about Everest, and my memory of them (probably from 1965 or 1966) made me want to look into the label a little bit, and I thought I would share a couple of links I found in case you are interested, which indicate the Everest recording technology may have also been used for some Mercury recordings (of course, feel free to ignore if it is more than you are interested in).

= = = = =

This first link is to the Wikipedia article, which is a pretty quick read, but (per the second link below) may not be fully accurate in some of the details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everest_Records

In summary, it looks like Everest used a 35mm magnetic film technology for their recordings, and their "recording philosophy was to make minimally-miked three channel recordings using 35 mm film recorders in the specially designed Belock Recording Studio and Bayside, New York . . .".  They were founded in 1958, and by the early 1960s the original owner was forced out of control.  The studio and the recording equipment were sold to a recording engineer and used for other recordings, including Mercury records.  

= = = = =

The second link is for the "Discophage" website and seems like a very thorough and well-researched discography.

https://discophage.com/discographies/everest-records-cd-discography/

This write-up is long, and the main things I saw in skimming it is that (1) some of the details in the Wikipedia article are not completely accurate, and (2) on good versions, these recordings can have "stupendous hi-fi sound (and not just good 'for the vintage')."  I will be curious what James thinks of the quality of his downloads.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #422 - 04/29/24 at 16:25:34

Quote:
Posted by: Dominick      Posted on: 04/27/24 at 08:40:53

Currently enjoying this Concerto in my work vehicle streamed from Qobuz.  Track #2 Adagio is one of my favorites...

Yes, I know the Adagio from Concerto de Aranjuez very very well. My buddy is an oboe/English horn player and pretty much from the first day he got is English horn, in 9th grade, he has been playing that solo. Over and over. Up to and including the last time I visited him a couple of months ago. Fortunately it is so beautiful I can't get tired of hearing it.

I was listening to Julian Bream playing Rodrigo's Fantasia para un gentilhombre from the Julian Bream box.

On CD.

Also very beautiful, and for me, a little bit more interesting than the concerto.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #423 - 04/29/24 at 17:33:06

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #424 - 04/29/24 at 17:57:02

Tone,

Very interesting to find out how Everest and Mercury are tied together. And that Everest only existed in its original form, for just a few years.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #425 - 04/29/24 at 22:22:24

Quote:
Posted by: Geno      Posted on: Yesterday at 20:29:48

....I like it but not nearly as much as my copy of Bruno Walter’s 1960 recording on Columbia - performance and recording are better IMHO.

So I'm a big fan of both Mahler and Bruno Walter, but not necessarily both at the same time. And, for whatever reason I never got around to listening to his recording of Mahler's 1st, until today. I was pretty much blown away. Very leisurely, and lyrical with a lot of what I'd call "old world charm." But Walter can also put the hammer down when needed. And the recording is great.

On CD, from the Bruno Walter Edition box.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #426 - 04/30/24 at 02:06:00

We don’t have a like button, so Smiley

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #427 - 05/01/24 at 00:13:34

Felix Mendelssohn pretty much single handedly brought J.S. Bach's music back from the dead. He also wrote choral music that Bach might have appreciated. And if Mendelssohn doesn't exactly measure up to the original it is still well worth one's time.

On CD.

When there is choral music to be sung you can't beat the RIAS Kammerchor.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #428 - 05/01/24 at 15:08:59

How about Bach and Mendelssohn go head to head?

16/44 FLAC download

Both of them set the Magnificant in D major. For Bach, who can be oppressively serious at times, this is almost lighthearted.  Mendelssohn sounds serious, bordering on reverential. Which is not what you usually associate with him.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #429 - 05/02/24 at 02:37:24

From uncharacteristically serious Mendelssohn to uncharacteristically dark Mendelssohn. His final sting quartet in F minor was (likely) written in memory of his sister who died a few months earlier. Felix would join her two months after its completion.

On CD

It is one of the most unique string quartets of the Romantic era, and it is no surprise the Emerson Quartet plays in flawlessly.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #430 - Yesterday at 00:49:37

Found this as a recommendation on Qobuz while I was listening to the 2 Cellos.   Some scattered  pieces that are really powerful.  It’s a keeper.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #431 - Yesterday at 02:55:20

I love me some Sibelius Violin Concerto. I don't know the one above, but I have a few favorites starting with David Oistrakh/Ormandy.

On CD.

Overall I would call the performance brooding. But also plenty of virtuoso fireworks as well. And the late 50s sound is really good, which is a rarity for a Columbia/Philadelphia recording.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #432 - Yesterday at 03:05:20

Another SVC I really like is Hilary Hahn. In general I'm not a big fan of HH, she has lots of ideas but (for me) they rarely work. But they do here, brilliantly.

16/44 FLAC download.

This is almost exactly the interpretive opposite of Oistrakh/Ormandy. It is like an ice sculpture glittering in the moonlight. I would call it "icy hot." The Schoenberg Violin Concerto is brilliant as well, but it is not a piece for the faint of heart.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print