04/29/24 at 09:03:35 

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Decfest 2023 (Read 26036 times)
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Decfest 2023
07/06/23 at 00:46:04

Figured I’d start the 2023 Decfest thread in the General Discussion section to build critical mass before it gets moved to the Decfest section where it actually belongs.  I feel like we were discussing Decfest 2022 way before July and then registrations opened up during the first half in August.

To the extent Steve is going to organize the 2023 event—-I am planning to re-attend and would love to reunite with folks from last year as well as any of the forum members who couldn’t make it last year.  It is such a great opportunity to connect with fellow enthusiasts, enjoy Steve’s rig and hospitality, and leave with some friends, and learnings (or two).

So a show of hands, if you will, to get a sense of who’s planning to attend —to build up the excitement for this years fest!

Listening, learning, and connecting happens organically as you venture from place to place—-Steve’s rig to the shed, where Randy is doing his thing, to the porch area, to the backyard around the bonfire and even within the confines of Steve’s woodworking shop.  I had meaningful interactions in all of these places over the course of my two days last year.

That said, I was noodling on the possibility of a structured bonfire gathering where we can grill Steve and other learned members about all things audio.  I know it’s taking a leaf out of what typical Audio conventions do when they have talks or panels in parallel to the exhibitors—but done in a more informal fireside chat setting vs. being mic’d up in a hotel meeting room.

Maybe this is silly idea but I figured, what the heck, a silly idea might lead to something interesting and shake things up (not that things need shaking), and the opportunity for all or most of us to be in the same place at the same time, seems like too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Think of the “Exploring Bass Discussion” by GroovySauce, De-Coupling or Coupling or dedicated circuits thread that I started, or Same Old DD’s exploration in to DIY speakers, but in real-time—and in a more intimate setting.  There are so many topics to explore and inquiring minds want to learn!  We could vote on 3-4 discussion topics and concentrate on peppering the esteemed panel with our questions? Perhaps Steve can use his video rig to livestream this fireside chat for members who can’t attend?

Again, this could be the silliest idea in the world and feel free to tell me so. Regardless of whether we end up doing this or not, I look forward to another great Decfest.

Cheers,

Kamran

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Re: Decfest 2023
Reply #1 - 07/06/23 at 08:10:09

Hey Kamran,

I won't be able to make it in person, but the idea of a livestreamed Q&A with Steve, Randy, and some of the other audio wizards in attendance would definitely get my attention. Good idea.

Randy

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/07/23 at 03:45:00

Thanks for the vote of confidence Randy.  Based on your feedback, I already have a great name for the shindig:

“A Fireside Chat with Audio Wizards”

If that is not going to attract members, I don’t know what will  :)

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/08/23 at 16:04:48

My brother and I are planning on attending this year.

I'm neutral on the informal-formal fireside chat. Either way I'm confident it's going to be another great weekend!

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/08/23 at 17:15:25

Agreed—either way, we’re going to get our heads wrecked!

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #5 - 07/17/23 at 15:02:37

Anybody else get an email invite from Decware for the 2023 Zenfest?
It has an RSVP button in it - which just takes you to the "contact us" page, for questions about orders, etc.  I don't see a place to actually RSVP - anybody else?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #6 - 07/17/23 at 15:13:07

Good Morning MD,

No, I did not receive one.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/17/23 at 15:26:19

MD, I was wondering likewise, thinking just filling out the form to Sarah may be the way to RSVP?

Tony,

It may be that you have to have signed up for the Decware appreciation list to get these emails... not sure, but a guess. This link is where the email link took me. https://www.decwareproducts.com/ an expanded Decware site area with different things and people... pages and forms about support of different kinds, papers, ordering, troubleshooting, build list, ... and at the bottom, a signup for the customer appreciation.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #8 - 07/17/23 at 15:27:28

I had a similar issue with the RSVP email.  Thought it might have been my lack of computer smarts.

This year will mark over twenty years of continued attendance of Deafest.  The first week of October is often the last week of pleasant weather in these parts.  It is a great chance to put a face on the folks that post on these forums.

I am in agreement with Kamran' suggestion to have a structured Q&A session with the Zen Master himself.  This would give those who can't attend something more than just seeing a bunch of people moving around.

Just my thoughts

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #9 - 07/17/23 at 18:41:25

The RSVP button has been fixed.

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/17/23 at 19:11:22

I haven’t received the invite yet (oh, the irony) and have reached out to Sarah to investigate.

Thanks for the support Paul!  Would love to hear from more prospective attendees as well as folks who will be following the live stream.  Looking forward to reconnecting.

So far—-attendees that I know will be returning:

Paul2
Yours Truly
GroovySauce
Palamino

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/17/23 at 22:43:36

For those of you who didn’t get the email, I happened to come across the RSVP post on Decware’s Facebook page and successfully registered.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #12 - 07/18/23 at 03:45:00

I just returned the RSVP .....

If I am still on this side of the sod, I will be there .....

Looking forward to seeing everyone,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 07/19/23 at 00:45:07

Looking forward Randy! You’re an integral part of the Decfest experience!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/07/23 at 23:03:07

Hi Kamran,

I just got to this.  I haven't been on the forum much due to spending lots of time in Michigan doing outdoor stuff.

I am planning on going.  I did get an invite.  I assumed it was because I'm on the mailing list.

I think Lonely Raven and Bad Wolf of CDApS fame will be attending again this year as well.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 08/08/23 at 21:51:10

It looks like I am going to miss the Decfest for the first time in at least 12 years.

I have zero things to do on any weekend for months on either side of the 'fest but it just won't work out this year.

Hopefully everyone will have a great time.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 08/08/23 at 21:56:46

Won't be the same.  Sorry I missed you last year Donnie.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #17 - 08/09/23 at 16:08:24

From Donnie .....
Quote:
It looks like I am going to miss the Decfest for the first time in at least 12 years.

I have zero things to do on any weekend for months on either side of the 'fest but it just won't work out this year.

Hopefully everyone will have a great time.

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/11/23 at 04:07:06

Thanks for confirming Tom.  I was just looking at flights to Chicago the other day—still seem a bit expensive— I am going to wait a little while longer.  I am deliberating whether to do what I did last year (fly into Chicago and driving West to Peoria) vs. flying in to Peoria (which will involve flying in to Charlotte first so there’s a connection involved).

Donnie—that’s disappointing . I was looking forward to connecting with you this year around. I think you left early last year, right?

Updating my list of known attendees who have confirmed their attendance so far:

Paul2
Yours Truly
GroovySauce
Palamino
LonelyRaven
Bad Wolf
Randy in Caintuck

Still haven’t given up on the fireside chat idea.  Going to reach out to the Deckerts soon.

IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #19 - 08/11/23 at 16:56:39

I'll be there also. Add me to the list.

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 08/11/23 at 17:08:31

There goes the neighborhood.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 08/11/23 at 23:14:37

Thx jpv—list updated below—let’s keep it coming!

Paul2
Kamran
GroovySauce
Palomino
LonelyRaven
Bad Wolf
Randy in Caintuck
Jpv

IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #22 - 08/19/23 at 05:39:54

Add me to the list. I am bringing my homemade Bluetooth speakers and coffee.

SOTA sapphire turntable with Soundsmith the Voice cartridge
Schiit Jotunheim with phono card
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
1959 Motorola EL84 tube amp
Decware imperials with Altec 811b horns and Alnico drivers
Raspberry pi / Volumio as a streamer
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 08/19/23 at 07:01:47

Good to hear from you Steve. Looking forward. Your name goes on top for bringing coffee and speakers!

SteveB
Paul2
Kamran
GroovySauce
Palomino
LonelyRaven
Bad Wolf
Randy in Caintuck
Jpv

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 08/25/23 at 03:11:27

Flights and hotel booked today.  Landing in Chicago the day before and driving to Peoria the next morning. This just reminded me that I need to book the rental as well.

Update on the fireside chat:  Steve is up for it!  That said, not sure yet if it’s going to be an esteemed panel of audio experts sharing their wisdom or a panel made of the Deckert family giving us a sneak peak behind the curtain of how the business is run and taking your questions.  That is Steve’s call.  I’m happy to coordinate/moderate either option.

Additional thoughts/comments welcome!

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 08/25/23 at 14:02:31

I plan on coming but have not booked airfare and hotel.  Where is everybody staying?
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 08/25/23 at 14:56:05

Bob, welcome aboard (adding your name to the list).

I ended up booking the same hotel as last year—The Hampton Inn East Peoria, which is a 13 min drive to Decware.  I recall at least one other Decfest participant from last year who stayed at the same hotel.  Of course, there are many others (most on the other side of the river, which adds to the commute).  Good luck with your search!

SteveB
Paul2
Kamran
GroovySauce
Palomino
LonelyRaven
Bad Wolf
Randy in Caintuck
Jpv
Kulafu

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 08/25/23 at 15:59:50

Kamran,
Thankls.  I have been wanting to go for the last 2 years but something always came up.  Hopefully not this time.  If I fly, it would be around 9hours  (drive to airport, wait at airport, disembark, get rental and the drive to peoria).  If I drive from Richmond, Va it would be a 12 hour drive plus stops.  I got time to decide though.
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 08/27/23 at 13:19:45

OK, I had to rearrange my fall schedule because of unforeseen issues. So, it looks like there will be time to attend Decfest this year.
I will most likely depart from Pittsburgh area early on Friday morning to be in Peoria around noon. If anyone is interested, I am up to share a room and/or carpool.
Hmmmm, I never got a notice from Decware this year? What are the dates?
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 08/27/23 at 20:02:08

John,

You made my day!

Event Details:

Oct 6-8– If you go to Decware’s facebook page and scroll down just a couple of posts, you will see the registration post.

We will have to reenact our badass entry from last year.  But lunch and coffee in downtown first!  Adding you to the list:

SteveB
Paul2
Kamran
GroovySauce
Palomino
LonelyRaven
Bad Wolf
Randy in Caintuck
Jpv
Kulafu
JBzen

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 08/28/23 at 09:59:56

Registered yesterday for Decfest. Was surprised to see that there was only 7 spots left out of 100. For those on the fence, best decide before there is no more availabilty.

Badass? Hmmm...might have to clad with skull cap, black leather shirt, pants, and boots Grin

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 09/10/23 at 05:37:47

Good news, not only is Don (from Cryotone fame and recently on the mend from health issues) driving down to Decfest, he’s bringing some tubes, speakers and get this—a cryo’d Sarah and a Torii Jr! Now we’re talkin! Updating list:

Don - Cryotone
SteveB
Paul2
Kamran
GroovySauce
Palomino
LonelyRaven
BadWolf
Randy in Caintuck
Jpv
Kulafu

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #32 - 09/10/23 at 19:24:46

That news makes attending Decfest sound even more enticing. A chance to enjoy some awesome music is always something to treasure. Besides Mr. Deckert, Don is someone I want to meet.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 09/10/23 at 19:33:34

Will Don be around both days?  I missed him last year.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 09/10/23 at 20:08:52

Hey Tom,

He said he was driving down this time so he’s not restricted by flight times, plus this will give him the ability to bring more gear to the fest.  So I think it’s a safe assumption that he’s going to stick around for both days.

I’m actually very intrigued to hear a cryo’d amp vs stock.  Funny, I accidentally discovered an old thread (from 2019) where GroovySauce Had posted about Cryo’d amps.  At the time, Wathen and Cryotone were not on anyone’s radar and so nobody really seemed to know whether cryo really made a difference or was snake oil.  Fast forward to 2023, I think Cryotone has safely passed the test in terms of cryo’d tube performance, but I’ve been separately wondering whether anyone has taken advantage of their amp cryo service.  Maybe post fest, once Don can show us a demo.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #35 - 09/10/23 at 20:20:09

Quote:
Posted by: Kamran      Posted on: Today at 12:08:52
...but I’ve been separately wondering whether anyone has taken advantage of their amp cryo service...

JOMAN has had both his CSP3 and UFO25 cryo'd:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1676206838

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 09/10/23 at 21:07:15

Thanks CA James—missed that thread as I haven’t explored the UFO25 sub forum apart from the 25th anniversary thread.  This is certainly promising.

I’m actually contemplating whether it makes sense to have my Sarah go straight to Don (perhaps he can drive it back to Texas!) and just get it cryo’d from the get go vs. having to disrupt my listening sessions for a few weeks later down the road. Of course, the downside to that is that I won’t be able to tell the difference between stock and cryo’d, which does bother me.

Typically I wouldn’t even entertain this thought, but I’m not in a position to do any listening for the next month anyways as we are remodeling our house and I am trying to keep my basement listening room sealed from excess dust as renovations take place.  Today actually marks the first full week of non-listening. I expect my parts to be pulled next week, so the amp (hopefully) should be ready just before Decfest.  In sheer frustration of the timing of the renovation, I was talking to my son the other day and was asking him whether to do the unthinkable and ask Sarah to delay my Sarah and he was like no, just get it so we can stare at the box at least!

#firstworldproblems

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 09/12/23 at 02:51:18

So I was looking at rental car rates from Midway and was surprised at the jacked up rates across multiple sites.  I was about give up and pull the trigger before I thought of checking the Hopper app and the rate I got from them was 50% off the typical rates I was seeing!  So I sprang for it. They don’t disclose the the rental agency until you pay and it turned out to be Avis, which is great.  Figured I’d share this with any other member who is planning to rent a car.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 09/12/23 at 21:55:45

I’ve exciting news to share.  Plans are coming to fruition regarding the fireside chat.

When: Saturday, Oct 7th
Time: 7 Pm
Where: Steve’s backyard, right next to the shop.
Panelists: Steve Deckert and Don Thomas
Moderator: Yours Truly
Duration: 1 hr

Recording the fireside chat is a logistical issue—it will take up too much space on one device.  That said, if there are any volunteers who are willing to record the Q&A session on their phones (basically breaking it out in to 4 ppl—so no one person has more than 15 min of video), we could then send the clips to Steve for consideration of posting it on the Decware Youtube channel for the benefit of members who aren’t able to attend. Otherwise, it remains a good tease or motivation for members to participate as the only way to experience it!

Steve prefers it unscripted but we also want to manage the time well, so no one is away from the listening room for long (after all, that’s the main attraction).  Therefore, please start sending me questions. You can PM me and I will collate.  I’m pretty sure I’d should be able to get in all the questions, in the unlikely event that I have to cut it, I am sure you can catch a hold of Steve or Don separately.

Looking forward!

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #39 - 09/12/23 at 23:29:52

There should be other fairly simple ways to record other than cell phones. I’ve seen on prior livestreams that people have brought their cameras to Decfest to photograph gear. Many cameras can record several hours, limited by storage media, heat and battery power. The newer Canon, Nikon mirrorless and most Panasonic and Sony cameras can record several hours.

You can also hold a special Fireside Zoom session, so those at home can log in and interact in real time. Would just need a strong WiFi connection and gear to set it up (computer, camera, mic and perhaps speaker to hear those at home if you wanted to do that). A moderator can also manage questions through the chat function if you’d prefer to mute those at home. Zoom sessions can be recorded for future use as well.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 09/12/23 at 23:43:37

I won’t be able to attend. I love the idea of being able to watch the chat either live or recorded.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 09/13/23 at 01:12:50

I had a planning call earlier today with Devon (family matriarch) and she indicated that given the lack of good wifi outside, live-streaming will be challenging and did not recommend going that route.  Given all the logistics that the Deckert fam have to think about hosting 100 ppl at their home, I certainly don’t want impose on them any further.  I’m limited on space as I am flying in to Chicago, but anyone driving to Peoria is welcome to bring their camera to record the whole thing and provide the footage to Steve.  The cell phone recording idea remains our ideal backup option considering everyone carry’s one in their pocket and the quality nowadays is excellent.  So quick and convenient without imposing on anyone to lug something heavier. But if you do…we will really appreciate it!

I am starting to think about questions tonight…so send me yours. I will give credit to the source when asking the question so everyone will have their 15 second of fame!

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #42 - 09/13/23 at 08:00:55

Thanks Kamran. If I were able to attend the festivities, I’d be glad to offer any assistance, but unfortunately I’ll have to be content with catching some of the livestream from home. I certainly understand not wanting to inconvenience anyone. The Decware crew are already so gracious in all they do to host such an event. Hopefully there can be a way to make the chat available for those of us who are unable to attend. I’m sure there will be a lot of great discussion and insight.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 09/13/23 at 10:42:30

Last year there were many fire side chats of varying subjects. Many other areas of the venue also contained impromptu chats with attendees. Those chats created some of the most memorable moments of the Decfest along with the main attractions of Steve's listening room, shop, and Randy's shed.

Hope the weather is mild and dry. This year I am thinking of reserving a site in a campground less then a mile away with showers which would give me more incentive to attend Sunday mornings breakfast. Last year my room was too far east of Steve's leaving more desire to head home upon waking Sunday morning Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 09/13/23 at 13:27:13

I’ll be sleeping in a van down by the river.  

Actually a shower sounds nice. What’s the name of the campground?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 09/13/23 at 13:28:27

I’ll be sleeping in a van down by the river.  

Actually a shower sounds nice. What’s the name of the campground?  I thought I saw one on a map near there once.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #46 - 09/14/23 at 01:08:08

The way to deal with connectivity by the fire pit is to set up a WIFI hot spot using a phone.  We do this whenever the internet goes down and it's actually I think even faster.

If anyone decides to take it on, I would practice outside in a dimly lit area to see what kind of picture quality you can get.

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 09/14/23 at 04:41:52

Yeah, the low lighting was another challenging factor in addition to the Wi-Fi.

The hotspot idea is doable—as long as the cell service is good and the lighting isn’t too bad. Do you know what cell service (between AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile) has the strongest signal in your neck of the woods?

I have T-Mobile and I could bring my iPad to start a zoom session though I only have the free version which only lasts 40 minutes per session. To the extent someone has a paid version with no session time limits would be the ideal scenario.

My biggest concern is to overpromise and under deliver. Will definitely need a volunteer to handle this while I concentrate on putting you and Don on the spot!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 09/14/23 at 10:00:33

Palomino the campground is called Millpoint. It is a 2 mile drive from Decware.  Millpoint offers tenting areas and a handful of tent camp sites with electric and water. Two adults and two vehicles are permitted on the latter. I will call today to see if there is a tent site available.

Kamran I have a couple of 600 watt stage lighting cans(with tripods) left over from the DJ rig. There is also white diffusers. Could throw one of those in the trunk if you wish.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 09/14/23 at 14:14:04

Thanks JB.  I looked on a map and thought that might be the place.

I like the live I approach. An alternative would be to use a digital video camera.  You could edit and post after.   Just copy the file from the disk.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 09/14/23 at 14:21:19

Hello.  I am cautious to comment as I don't want to impart negative vibes to the discussion and event, but just to throw the thought out there:  Cameras, wifi, are all things I'm trying to get away from when sitting around a campfire.  Why not have a televised debate in a properly lit space with all the modern data and electrical connections and keep the campfire a private and intimate setting?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 09/14/23 at 14:47:02

I think it should be done wherever Steve and Don are most comfortable. It can be tough to be on the spot answering questions in front of a camera to begin with.

Production value should be a secondary concern.

IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #52 - 09/14/23 at 18:18:07

We have had the live feed for a few years.  I for one have really enjoyed that feature.

Kamron has an excellent plan to enhance the concept.  Granted, he might not be John Houston, but I say give him a chance.  The idea of using a bright stage light and a white screen should help.

Some of the best advice I have heard has come from around that fire pit.  Besides, it's warm on a cool night.

"Thoughts"

Small treated room
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 09/17/23 at 12:04:37

Quote:
I’m actually contemplating whether it makes sense to have my Sarah go straight to Don (perhaps he can drive it back to Texas!) and just get it cryo’d from the get go vs. having to disrupt my listening sessions for a few weeks later down the road.

I've been catching up on this thread and so late to add based on my experience... JUST DO IT!

I've been focused on getting this old house renovated and in November I get my sound room.  The plan is to get the Wathen Dipole speakers and with that I have this nagging debate in the back of my "unique" mind... should I get a second UFO25 or get the SARAH????????????????????????????????? (right now I'm leaning to the second UFO25 option)

Based on my discussions with Don a single UFO25 will run the Dipoles no problem.  Lately I've been spending a lot of time and money on my digital front end with results that are nothing short of stunning.  The thought started to percolate that adding another UFO25 or the SARAH might be the "cherry on the whipped cream".

If I decide to opt for either of those options what I can state for certainty is that either will be going straight to Wathen from Decware for processing.  (Love to be at Decfest this year with Don and the goodies he's bringing😢)

IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #54 - 09/17/23 at 14:23:19

Que sera sera...
Whatever will be will be...

However the technical end of things works out, we will all be better on the other side of it. I have the sneaking suspicion that many of the folks involved with the fest are all experienced at getting things done and making things happen in real life, on top of now at least a few folks have over a decade of decfesting experience.

I should be in the area and at the event this year for the first time. I ended up with C19 last year and could not attend and am VERY exited to meet up with everyone!

I have only a very limited amount of people in my everyday life that can relate to audio sound and systems and those conversations stay quite shallow.

Its only a few weeks now and I am FREAKING OUT!!!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #55 - 09/17/23 at 15:48:55

Quote:
Posted by: JOMAN      Posted on: Today at 04:04:37

...should I get a second UFO25 or get the SARAH????????????????????????????????? (right now I'm leaning to the second UFO25 option)...

?!?!?!?!?

Don't want to hijack this thread, but this is an interesting development indeed.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 09/17/23 at 20:54:11

Also, not to derail the thread any further but to close out my thought process:

Thx Joman (I PM’d you as well). The secondary consideration is the 30 day money back guarantee (less a 10% restock fees) post shipping from Decware. If I send the amp directly, I’ll be out of that 30 day period (God forbid I need to change directions). So I’m thinking that I’ll get the amp and figure out the cryo thing next year. This means I’m going to look into getting another amp (perhaps SS for the summer period) so the wait time is not too disruptive.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 09/21/23 at 02:20:06

Guys, I haven’t received a single question for Steve and Don yet.  I know you have questions, so let’s help a brother out.  Otherwise, I’ll just have to come up with all the questions myself.  I’ve already started a list but haven’t made much progress as I am distracted with my home renovation project.

I am going to investigate getting the full version of Zoom so we can attempt at a livestream using my iPad—no guarantees, but will give it my best shot.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #58 - 09/21/23 at 03:47:48

Thanks for inviting questions, if you had before,  I missed it. I will send you some more this week.  In the mean time,  I would like ask both to comment on their hearing. Do they think it is better than average or did they recognize early in life that they were gifted?  Has the work made them better listeners and in what ways. Can they suggest how to improve one's listening skills? When do they listen for pleasure, not necessarily connected to work?

I will give thought to some more technical questions,  but as a psychologist I'm curious about the people too.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 09/22/23 at 01:09:12

Excellent question Tony – for additional questions feel free to PM me and I can give you my email address. Steve prefers this unscripted, so I rather not publish the questions publicly on the thread. I’ll be sure to give you credit when I ask.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 09/28/23 at 04:09:24

About a week left before I hop on a flight—simultaneously excited to reconnect and a bit nervous waiting for questions that I can add for the fireside chat.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 09/29/23 at 00:42:03

Ok good news and bad news.  Good news is that I received a bunch of great questions in one fell swoop by a member (who shall by his request, will go unnamed).  Combined with my several questions and the one sent over by Tony, I now have about 17 really good questions.  That doesn’t mean there is no room for additional questions, so if your’s still sitting on the sidelines, get Jiggy with it!

Bad news: I tested the iPad and iPhone in low light questions and it left a lot to be desired in terms of both audio and video.  I’m abandoning the idea of a live stream, which would involve both expense (subscribing to Zoom’s paid tier) and gear (mic and tripod) in less than ideal conditions.  That said, members are encouraged to record choice clips from their phones.  In fact, I’d like someone to record me asking a question or two for my own viewing pleasure later down the road.  We can send these clips to Steve and let him gauge whether they are good enough for sharing on his YT channel.   This will allow me to just focus on moderating the chat.

I do plan to take a lot more pics this time around to have a pictorial summary of the event.  Let’s put that iPhone 15 Pro to good use…

Looking forward!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 09/29/23 at 12:58:26

Kamran, Thanks for doing the leg work on this. Without the technology piece it will be a "true" fire side chat which will be a great for the people attending. For the people who cannot make it, it's a bummer but it would also be frustrating if the audio and video didn't capture well. Anyone have the equipment and willing to record next year?

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #63 - 09/29/23 at 13:49:07

Kamran,

While the newer cell phones out there do a good job of recording audio, you can do a lot better with a minimal investment.  Look into a battery powered Lavalier mic that you can plug into your cell phone.  The quality of your audio will sound considerably better.  You just have to decide if you want a mic that is directional or omni directional.  

Don’t you live in NJ?  Shoot me a PM. If you want I could send you mine to try out…and if you like it, you could buy one for yourself.  If there is not enough time before you leave…you could use mine at Decfest.  

Mine is a Aputure A. Lav Omni directional mic.  Not sure if mine is available anymore, but you can do a search for lavalier mics…word of advice just get one that is hard wired to you phone vs a Bluetooth version.  I think that you will get better results.  The company Shure, Sennheiser, Rode, and Diety are very popular companies…so maybe take a look there.  The Sweetwater website is a good place to start.    Mine is tailored for cell phones…so just make sure that it’s specified for that purpose.  The battery powered ones are nice since it doesn’t consume any power from your cell phones battery.  

When I attended Decfest like 4 years ago…I took a bunch of video clips that I had posted on YouTube.  I wish I would have had that lavalier mic for those recordings.  So when you are sitting in the Decware main room and listening to music…make some video recordings with the Lavalier mic attached….they will come out great.  

here is a link to my microphone…

I found my mic online at this website if you are so inclined to buy it…

https://avlgear.com/product/aputure-a-lav-trrs-connector-compatible-omnidirectio...
nal-lavalier-microphone/

Do your due diligence and read up these mics…they can get quite technical.  You may need an adapter cable to go from the mic into your cell phone depending on what brand cell phone you have,  and what accessory cables the mic comes with in its package.  My apologies in advance if I am taking down a rabbit hole.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 09/29/23 at 14:53:46

Dominick, I’ve been actually been meaning to reach out to you considering we both live in NJ.  We should try and do a local Decware meetup later this year.

Thx for the suggestion for using a mic.  Unfortunately, between the house restoration and work, I’m going to be slammed until I fly out for Peoria and won’t have the time to properly get acquainted with the gear.  Problem #2 is that I can’t be in two places at once—in an ideal world—while I’m concentrating on moderating the chat, there needs to be a volunteer (with the right gear) who is managing the stream.  On top of it, we are battling low light conditions.  Even if we could get the audio right, it would be semi unwatchable based on my test last night.  I say let us get our bearings this year, run a few test clips from our respective phones and come prepared next year.  Who knows—if this is a success, Steve might even build an outdoor shooting rig for us!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #65 - 09/29/23 at 21:22:45

Kamran,

I would be totally up for an audio listening session. After December 13th I will be free from taking all of my tests for my upcoming promotional exam, so we can table that for a later date for sure.  

As far as the interviews… I think that’s a great idea on using this year as a test run to work out the kinks.  I came really close on getting an audio channel mixer for trying explore podcast and social media work, so maybe by next year I’ll have that covered.  I love the interview idea… so hopefully by next year all of the prep work and testing will pay off.  

I was supposed to this year, but this promotional exam has sidelined me from going. But I will take some time to enjoy the livestream.   I can still remember my first Decfest…it was truly a phenomenal experience that I’ll never forget.

Enjoy,
Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 09/30/23 at 16:39:01

Sounds like a plan Dom—Good luck with your exams!  Hopefully, by that time, my national nightmare, which is the house remodel, will also be complete.

And yes, this year’s fest will be a great opportunity to figure out the kinks and come prepared next year.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 10/04/23 at 21:35:31

I will not be able to make it this year because of a car accident today. It is basically a super fender bender that makes the car unusable at night and during rain. No injuries.
Have a zen time.
John

IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #68 - 10/04/23 at 21:40:18

Sorry to hear at. Hope all else is OK with you.

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 10/04/23 at 21:43:58

John, I’m sorry to hear that but glad you are OK. Thx for the heads up. I’m going to post pics in this thread from the fest, so you can still feel connected.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #70 - 10/04/23 at 22:20:37

John: so glad to hear no one it seems was hurt. Hope all goes well with repairs etc.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 10/05/23 at 15:56:38

If I may....This will be my first time at a DECFEST.  With regards to logistics, will there be parking be available for us coming with a car? Any other logistical information would be appreciated!
John, sorry that you wont be able to come but glad everything is ok.  But looking forward to meeting everyone and I hope to learn more from you all.  
Bob

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 10/05/23 at 16:14:44

There is parking available.  Last year, I think there was yellow tape indicating where you can park on Steve's property.  There is also parking on the road for overflow.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 10/05/23 at 16:22:50

Hi Bob, there is plenty of parking around Steve’s property so shouldn’t be a problem. I parked there last year without any issues. Looking forward to connecting soon!

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 10/05/23 at 16:33:19

Kam and Pal,
Thanks for the info!  See ya all tomorrow!
Bob

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 10/05/23 at 17:17:34

When you get there, first stop should be to go into the main building and grab a name badge in the little alcove.  People either put their first name and/or the screen name.  From there you will just go through the next door and you’ll see the listening room to the right.  To get in to that room, you keep going and take a right through shop and you’ll see the entrance.  Generally people stand in the rear of the listening room and often people will give up seats in the sweet spot.  Often Steve or one of the fest Veterens will be “running the room.”  You can make requests to hear different gear configurations.   Almost always they will eventually get to your request.

Outside of the main building you’ll see smaller shed.  That is typically where Randy of Caintuck Audio is set up demoing his open baffle speakers.  There is another building behind the main building that is Steve’s wood shop.  Sometimes he converts this into a listening space.

Restroom is in the back of the main building.  They have had porta potty’s on the side of the main building.  

You’ll note there are coolers with various beverages outside the main building.   Devon usually has a tent set up outside where food is served.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 10/05/23 at 17:40:27

Pal!  Great info.  Thanks again!
Bob

IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #77 - 10/05/23 at 20:37:14

For those going. If you happen to listen to the HR-2’s, if available, and through a Torii MKV (even better) and would like to spend time posting your thoughts it would be greatly appreciated. Really thinking the HR-2’s are where I want to go.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 10/05/23 at 21:50:58

That was a great explanatory post Tom—I wish we could pin this on the top of the thread. I plan to steal it for next year!

Following tradition, I am posting a pre-boarding selfie. My journey actually started at 12 PM Eastern involving two trains and an Uber ride to Philly airport. Would love to see selfies of more folks attending as part of an ice breaker of sorts prior to the fest! See you guys tomorrow!

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 10/05/23 at 21:52:26

My word I’m going to miss seeing all of you this year. It’ll be the first fest I’ve missed in a decade. So sad I’ll miss the Deckert family and all the great smiles of all you guys.

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 10/05/23 at 22:08:36

It shall not be the same without LFD.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 10/05/23 at 22:12:38

Darn it-going to miss you Dan!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #82 - 10/05/23 at 22:17:54

Nice photo Kam. Have a great time all!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #83 - 10/05/23 at 22:37:47

Major FOMO going on right now. Have a great time everyone! Perhaps next year I will attend my first DecFest.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #84 - 10/06/23 at 01:49:19

I hope that everyone has a great time at the 'Fest this year!

This will be the first one I've missed in well over a decade.

Lot's of great memories come flooding back though.

The bass output of the Imperials, my garbage can "Boom Box", but mostly the people.

Well hopefully we will be able to get back on the horse next year!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 10/06/23 at 01:59:29

Will miss you Donnie.  I’ll be the guy hogging the sweet spot on the live feed.

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 10/06/23 at 03:05:28

Steve....It's a tough one, not going this year. This was to be my first, and I have so many reasons to go. Hopefully I'll be there in the next few months if all goes well to audition the Headwreckers and other magical items whatever they may be. I'd love to see where so much of my happiness is designed, and brought to life.

To everyone else I'll be tuning in. Have fun!!

Charlie

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #87 - 10/07/23 at 00:22:19

For those at home looking to enjoy Decfest…here is the link to the livestream.

https://www.decwareproducts.com/livestream

I am currently watching this on my big screen TV with the sound going from the optical out of my TV into my Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC, and then into my reference system.  The sound is pretty good, just a little bass heavy on my end (probably from the overhead mic’s sensitivity),  and I have to crank up the sound on my preamp a bit higher than normal due to the TV optical connection.    

It’s great to see that the house cat is out and about, and guys are enjoying the main room. Brings back memories!

For all those in attendance, have a great time!

Dom

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 10/07/23 at 00:34:56

IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #89 - 10/07/23 at 00:43:49

In case there is anyone attending the Decfest that might wish to purchase a SE84UFO amp and take it home with you, I just listed one of mine here on the forum.

I live within driving distance and could deliver it to the fest Saturday or Sunday.

I think we could work out the PayPal business.

Fantastic amplifier and NO waiting or shipping cost.

Small treated room
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #90 - 10/07/23 at 01:15:49

Thanks for the pictures Kamran. Really helps those of us that can’t attend, identify better. Especially pics of the separate listening buildings.

I’m watching the live feed, off and on.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 10/07/23 at 04:08:07

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 10/07/23 at 06:30:23

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 10/07/23 at 08:49:57

Ditto what Geno said. Seeing a lot of familiar faces. Temped to jump in the rental and join you all. The better half did not like the idea of it. Almost 70 and still seem to find a way to the dog house.

Next year.

Enjoy!

John

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 10/07/23 at 21:23:38

I am curious about the hanging tube looking things near the back of the room. I've seen others in places around the room.

I would like to know the purpose. I can see they are damped somewhat, but even then they must make an enormous resonant sound.

My wife will sometimes recognize me deep in a listening mode and bring a drink to set on my side table.
She is the sweetest person I know! I could not live without her!

But, I can hear the glass, then. The glass becomes another resonant source within the room. Not always unpleasant, but always a distraction from my speaker system. And the resonance changes as I drink down the glass.

I know my ears are very old, abused in my youth and quite tired, but they can still hear, identify and place things like that.

I can not imagine how metal tubes can do anything helpful to room acoustics.
Please explain it to me.
Enlighten this old "set in his ways"  "get off my lawn" salty crust about such things, please.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
DanG
Verified Member

Reply #95 - 10/08/23 at 01:42:03

Just like Same Old DD, I too have a question about the room.

Please give us details about the amount of room treatment in the main room, and the shed (I know the shed is treated with just the bare insulation, apparently to great effect).

In the main room, is just about every inch of wall treated?

Thanks.

Dan

Well Tempered Lab Amadeus MK2 Turntable, Stereo & Mono carts, ZP3, SE84UFO, Lii Song Origin S-10, Audio Note CD1.1x
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 10/08/23 at 21:58:42

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 10/08/23 at 22:01:34

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 10/08/23 at 22:21:47

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #99 - 10/09/23 at 00:37:21

Great shots Kamran!!  Love the fireside pictures!!  Sounds like you had a great time…. as anticipated.  I watched some of the video footage and I really wish Imcluld have attended this year.  I remember back 10 years ago when Steve used to leave the life feed on continuously for the entire weekend.  That’s what I miss as opposed to watching the video clips.  

When you get some time….please compose a write up of your experience.

Dom

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #100 - 10/09/23 at 18:16:51

I just wanted to thank Steve, DeVon and Bob for another excellent Decware Fest .....

It was a treat to get together with some old friends and make some new ones this year.

Bob's newest revision of his speaker was very, very good.

I also enjoyed meeting Don Wathen of CryoTone Tubes.
A group of us spent quite a bit of time swapping tubes in a 25th Anniversary amplifier and each time a CryoTone tube was substituted for the stock tube the sound improved by quite a bit ..... in every parameter that is important to music lovers.

I replaced all of the tubes in my SE84UFO amp with CryoTone tubes (in the small listening room) and every person who heard the system last year and again this year agreed that the improvement was substantial.
The driver tubes and rectifier that I was previously using were very nice NOS tubes.  The CryoTone tubes are the "real deal" .....  

The campfire chat was great ..... and Kamran did a wonderful job of moderating.

Looking forward to Decware Fest 2024 .....

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #101 - 10/09/23 at 19:40:38

Quote:
I am curious about the hanging tube looking things near the back of the room. I've seen others in places around the room.

I would like to know the purpose. I can see they are damped somewhat, but even then they must make an enormous resonant sound.

Those are giant precision tuned chimes based on Solfeggio frequencies featuring adjustable tuning pegs to keep the frequencies locked at any temperature... my own design. They are damped out with the leather bands and plugs so that when not in use they don't ring during music playback.

To everyone who was able to attend we thank you.  Without you it would be just another work day : ).

We were especially happy to have Don and his wife Angie from Cyrotone attend this year making our amps sound even better with their wonderful tubes and speakers!  And Kamran's fire side chat - he now has to come every year and do it.

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 10/09/23 at 21:57:35

Planes, Trains, & Automobiles

Steve, Devon, Sarah and fam,

Thank you for hosting another successful Decfest.  Your kindness, hospitality, and enthusiasm never ceases to amaze.  There is a reason why I flew out to Decfest back to back and the second journey involved multiple cars, trains, a plane, and a shuttle bus.  I did this with a smile on my face because I knew I was going home to my hi-fi family and I’d go to any lengths to get there.

I’ve been already asked about my write-up (I guess I am getting predictable?) so here goes:

My experience at Decfest 2023 was starkly different from last years fest.  Equally as profound though, but just different.

I was self-reflecting during the fest as to why this event is so compelling?

Is it the gear?
Is it the music discovery?
Is it the human connection?

The answer is obviously “All of the Above”, but for each attendee, I think the weight/importance of these categories varies.  Take me for example—I was the one who asked Steve (in my post show write-up from 2022) to provide an iPad this year to make music selection easier and he listened (no pun intended).

Yet—I only managed to grab the iPad for a less than five minutes prior to leaving Sunday morning. Didn’t even complete one song.  This is a long winded way of saying that I didn’t participate much in critical listening this year.  My heart wasn’t in it, which even took me by surprise.

Why, you may ask, and it’s a fair question.

Because this year, I prioritized social interaction above all else. It wasn’t necessarily premeditated – it’s just the way things worked out and I enjoyed the heck out of it.  Reconnecting with folks from last year, as well as making new connections, getting to know their stories, learning from them, and exchanging notes.  I couldn’t get enough of it.  One of the highlights was getting to know Bob Ziegler, his speakers, and his collaboration with Steve over the past 20 years and change.  Also of note, is the opportunity to hang out with Nick and Nigel, reconnecting with all the other Steves and answering questions for Derek as he gets his rig ready while in line for his amp.

This doesn’t mean I didn’t listen at all – I did, (passively) here and there, popping my head in to each listening room. While I’m not going to give detailed impressions on speakers and amps, from a high-level, the Headwreckers were larger than life.  I actually experienced déjà vu because last year I thought the house speakers were actually larger than what the pictures suggested and this time it was the big boys.  They would be the proverbial straw that broke the camels back with the whole ‘our wives putting up with our hobbies’ comment.  In other words, if you brought these puppies home, she would be the one putting you out.  That said, the bass from the wreckers was the most visceral I’ve ever experienced and just the general resolution of those platinum drivers is something you really have to hear it to get it. Don’s baffles were meaty and dynamic, but….similar to the T6 last year, a speaker I wasn’t intending to listen to stole the show for me.  This time it was the Bob Ziegler designed HDT MK2’s—they were just amazing from top to bottom and I was just floored by the depth of the soundstage.  They were equally playful with the Torii MKV as well as the 25th Anniversary amp.  I think even Bob was surprised about how well the latter pairing worked out.

Not surprisingly I found myself in Randy’s sound shed multiple times to groove to his great playlist.  The sound from his baffles paired with Lii Audio drivers felt like home.  But also different.  A better different.  He was using a Cryotone compliment from Don, and they sounded markedly better to me compared to the NOS tubes that Randy had on last year.  Kudos to Randy for working tirelessly, emotionally moving the audience with his tracks, changing the baffles around as per request and doing it all with a big smile on his face. Although I didn’t get to confirm, I’m sure he managed to sell some pairs at the fest and perhaps will get inquiries post fest for a more custom build (does that remind you of someone Randy?)

Don and I actually stayed at the same hotel.  Had multiple good convos with him throughout the fest and excited that he is carrying back with him two amps from the fest, for a full cryo treatment.  Can’t wait for that dipping to be finished and hear from Nick and Nigel, who gave up their babies for a couple of weeks.  I’m already sold on doing that for Sarah, but that is most likely, a 2024 thing.

Speaking of Sarah, I guess it’s not everyday (or every fest) that a participating member’s amp is ready and on display at Decfest.  My Sarah (passed quality control—but not shipped) was there on full display and my God, she is a stunner! I came in to the back room multiple times to take a sneak peak or to lead someone there to show her off.  We had several conversations around the area, marveling at her beauty and gravitas.  And (ahem) I may have given some folks the evil eye for drinking and or perching their beverages on or near the rack.

The fireside chat —— A member asked me Sunday morning whether this is the kind of stuff I do for a living and I was like heck no—-this was completely out of character for me and that I was just caught up in the excitement and opportunity to ask Steve and Don questions and soak in their collective wisdom.  So I’ll take it as a huge compliment.  Pallet after pallet was burned 3 hrs before the chat, so we had a nice (large) bed of coals by 7 pm, the wind didn’t misbehave and there was not a hint of moisture in the air.  I couldn’t have asked for a better setting.

7 pm struck and even though there were only a handful of folks in the beginning, I was astounded by the large crowd that had gathered within minutes—some of them standing for the full hour and braving the cold. Even Randy came out of his shed and I was thinking to myself that I better not screw this up!  That said, the fire burned high and bright, the questions kept flowing and the answers from Steve and Don kept us enthralled, amused, and at the edge of our seats.  Even the timing of a particular question was on point when I asked Steve and Don, how did they two meet and who fell in love first? Devon had just joined the crowd and was like hey ‘hey hey—-what’s going on here?’  Being the so called troublemaker behind the chat, I’m not going to comment whether it was a success or not.  All I can say is that the Audio Gods were in a benevolent mood and smiling…

The fireside chat after party: Only a couple of us were left with Steve after the conclusion of the chat and we had the most amusing conversation (Steve was also properly drunk by that time) including the resilience of trees, a reel to reel deck called woody (I won’t go in to details), taking revenge on oversized pieces of lumber, Steve’s annoyance at the green hue of the light bulb over his wood shop and our plan to rid the world of mediocrity.  On the last item, let me just say that if in the future, you notice a kickstarter or Indiegogo campaign to raise money to buy all the shitty speakers and or solid state amps in the world and burn them to ash in Steve’s firepit and or blow them up, the after party participants take full credit for it.

Sunday morning Devon served some delicious breakfast to the remaining folks and one after another, we started taking our leave.  I hate goodbyes and this one hurt so I decided to play a track before I left as there was no one in the listening room.  I didn’t care what speakers were hooked up, nor what amp and cued up Sara Bareilles’ “Come Round Soon’ from her live album ‘Brave Enough’ on the iPad.  Barely a minute in to the song, Steve must have noticed my melancholy mood and walked in to the room to chat.  I happily paused the song to eke out one last conversation.  Little did I know that another highlight was yet to come.  He complimented me on the fireside chat and my room treatments!  The fact that he remembers my room from the pictures I shared months ago was just staggering.  Here is a guy who has 2000 ppl on his waiting list and talks to hundreds of customers/vendors any given month, and he remembered what I’ve done to my rig.  

For the drivers passing by a slow moving Chevy Malibu by on Route 55 North towards Chicago—driven by a guy who couldn’t seem to wipe a stupid grin from his face, I apologize for the inconvenience.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #103 - 10/09/23 at 22:38:52

Thanks for the breakdown Kam. I can imagine you being smitten by your SEWE300B--mine is beautiful too and I just look at it and sigh. I was questioning my shelling out for the padauk case and the copper clad end-caps. . . but I'm so glad I did!

You should be proud for introducing a new feature to the gathering. Now. . . get some rest.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #104 - 10/09/23 at 23:27:02

Kamran,

Thank you for your excellent Decfest write up. I enjoyed your description of the audio scene, but especially your description of connections with the real-life people that we usually only get a chance to know from within the context of the forum - the human connection as you put it.

I look forward to hearing more about your Sarah once it arrives.  For now, get some rest.

Tony

IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #105 - 10/09/23 at 23:32:41

Well written summary Kam. Huge FOMO for me as I so wanted to go, however unable with work requirements. I am going to have to change that for next year. I watched as much live stream as possible, trying to listen to the conversations to take in what everyone was experiencing in addition to trying to identify difference in equipment pairing.

So glad you were able to see your soon to be new arrival. I had seen your status on the amp list and was hoping you would be able to.

And great choice on the one song you were able to play. Definitely my favorite on that CD.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 10/10/23 at 08:49:30

Kamran,
Reading your impressions of the HDTs and interactions with Bob placed a big smile on my face.
When visiting Steve in July, I had the same experience with the HDTs with silvers(MK2) fed with the UFO25. A wide deep high awesome pinpoint sound stage just about sums it up. Not the deep bass of the Headwreckers but very respectful nonetheless.
Even though I was not able to attend, your experience with the HDTs will check one of the boxes on my list for the 2023 Decfest.
Thank you Wink
John

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #107 - 10/10/23 at 14:44:36

After listening to the DFH10 speakers, along with the Wathen OB pair following Don’s small cubes & the ZF15L’s, I cornered Mr. Deckert. I had some questions concerning the ability of the HDTv-2’s to dig down low as the specifications listed for their frequency response seemed similar to the T-6 below 55 to 30 hz. While finishing up a bowl of delicious chili I was informed my concerns would be addressed. My experience listening to the HDTv-2’s playing deep bass, while not as impactful as the Headwreakers was very satisfying. Sealing the deal was some cat named Kevin. While sharing the sweet spot, Kevin suggested that I was enjoying the HDTv-2’s enough too justify making them an option to explore when my SEWE300B is built. Wished I didn’t have to miss the fireside chat, but had a show to attend Sunday afternoon. Beethoven’s #7 was awesome. The pin-straightener I picked up works great but the Z kit 1 board project looks intimidating. Time to start rounding up parts to see which I get to hear first. It’s a long drive to Mr. Deckert’s from Penciltucky. A long ride in a fast machine.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 10/10/23 at 15:05:02

HDT v2 or/and HDT MK2 are the same or not! I am confused. Please explain.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #109 - 10/10/23 at 15:45:49

Big thank you to the Deckert family!

DECFEST is a special event.

The whole weekend went by in a blink. I’m grateful I got to have so many meaningful conversations with friends from years past and first timers. I also missed catching up with a few people I was looking forward to seeing. A few first timers we had too short of a conversation.

The Head Wreckers are HUGE! Pictures don’t capture how big they really are.

One fun topic of conversation I had with a few people was how did you learn about Decware and what was the experience like. I mentioned that on the Torii MKIV sales page it said something about opening a Stargate and floating in the music… sounds like hyperbole, thing is it’s not! Before listening to Decware gear I had experienced that a handful of times. Once I received the Torii it delivered and it’s a regular experience now.

Steve overheard this and said. “You’re saying it does what it says on the tin”. Yes it does! That was on my mind through out the weekend. Decware does what it says on the tin. There are not many audio products that actually deliver what they promise. Decware does.

Same Old DD and DanG, There is a significant amount of treatment in the room. Last year I was starting my journey putting together a dedicated treated room. I’m going to paraphrase what Steve said. His previous room was a better sounding room. The problem was, if someone came to listen to his amps and speakers, it wasn’t a fair. They would never get the sound they were hearing in their living room with little or no treatment. He wanted to create a room that sounded good and offered a realistic expectation of the sound they could get and still remain married.

With a dozen or so speakers in the room, They change the way things sound. I came in early Sunday morning and listened to a few tracks on the Head Wreckers, 3 people were in the room and not much talking anywhere else. I was getting a lot of reflections from the house speakers and the Wathen OB speakers. This made the soundstage a bit wonky The center image was pulled apart, not as sharply focused as it could be.

I enjoyed the fireside chat. Kamran, thank you for suggesting and doing the heavy lifting on that.

Kamran was showing off his Sarah300b like a proud father! Cheesy

I really enjoyed chatting with Don from Cryotone. I have some Cryotone tubes, My brother and I brought our amps to hand off to Don for this cryo process. After talking to him, I’m extra excited to get my amp back and listen to music. He is passionate and is pushing the results to the max. Over the years I’ve read about cryo and how it changes the structure of the materials. Don explained without giving away his proprietary methods how his process works and the theory behind it. Once he explained it, it all made sense his explanations of what happens during HIS process rang true.

Don’s little bookshelf speakers were really impressive. I listened to one song on them and was impressed with the full range sound field they produced.

I missed his demos of tubes (and a cryo’d Sarah300b?) He already had my Torii in his possession so I’m not too bummed about missing the demo. My brother who prefers the push pull sound as do I, is going to try a pair of Cryotone EL84 in his UFO25TH. He also wants to get a set Cryotone tubes for his ZMA.

I’m looking forward to next year!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 10/10/23 at 21:26:49

Steve Deckert wrote on 10/09/23 at 19:40:38:
Those are giant precision tuned chimes based on Solfeggio frequencies featuring adjustable tuning pegs to keep the frequencies locked at any temperature... my own design. They are damped out with the leather bands and plugs so that when not in use they don't ring during music playback.
https://i.ibb.co/VN6LJdw/DSC07633-copy.jpg

Thanks for the explanation.
But, now I am more curious. So, they are plugged and damped when music plays, and they become diffusors with a bit of tilt toward reflectivity in the upper mid and treble part of the spectrum, but highly diffused.  

... but if you want to endulge in some Solfeggio tone therapy, how do they activate?

Sorry for taking us so far off topic here.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 10/11/23 at 12:10:18

A few fest comments.

My primary equipment listening goal for the fest was to hear the headwreckers to see if they could produce low bass like I get from my system.  I have the P10's in an open baffle with two 15" woofers powered by a separate Crown amp.  The bass is full, has impact and depth.

I found the headwreckers to nearly equal to what I have when playing one of the most demanding bass test songs I know.   I kinda expected the bass to be somewhat wooly but it was not.  It was tight and had impact. Granted the cabinets are large, but I think it's a significant design achievement to produce this much detailed base from a 10" driver.  

I did find that the first day, the listening chair was too close to the speakers and that the overall soundstage and disappearing speakers act was better on Sunday morning when the listening chair was moved further back.

As others have commented, the HR-2s won the soundstage award. These were clearly the most 3-D.

I had several good conversations and picked up some tips.  It's always good to reconnect with everyone.  I didn't pick up as many new songs as I was not in the listening room that much.  It was chilly this year so there was more gathering and conversation in the listening room which was not conducive to just listening.

I have to say, I was skeptical about the fireside chat, but was proven wrong.  Kamran did a great job and it turned out to be a highlight of the fest.

IP Logged
BadWolf
Seasoned Member

Reply #112 - 10/11/23 at 16:47:32

My photos of this year's fest -

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAXQ38

Also some of the previous years -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145777581@N04/albums

Zen OTL, SE84UFO25, Mini Torii II and III, “El Camino” MTM speakers, Schiit Gungnir Multibit, DIY "Zbit", dedicated circuits.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #113 - 10/11/23 at 16:53:29

Great shots!  Love the various effects.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #114 - 10/11/23 at 17:08:20

Nicely done.

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #115 - 10/11/23 at 17:15:25

Thanks for the photos.  :)

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #116 - 10/11/23 at 17:35:46

Quote:
HDT v2 or/and HDT MK2 are the same or not! I am confused. Please explain.

HDT started out life in the 1990's as a two way speaker using a woofer and tweeter.  Then when Decware came to be it was modified for a single full-range driver.  Around the same time a variation of the original two way design was released called the HDT MK2.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/MKII.htm

While a very sexy looking speaker, it really had no advantages over the single driver model.

Updating the single driver model with the Silver 8 drivers and new tuning, is where the HDTv2 came from.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #117 - 10/11/23 at 17:40:35

Quote:
... but if you want to endulge in some Solfeggio tone therapy, how do they activate?

The dampers are removed and the chimes are struck with a felt lined hammer.

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #118 - 10/11/23 at 21:25:20

I’m enjoying reading this thread after the Fest. Kamran, looking at reply #102, I got a little confused with you’re saying: “This time it was the Bob Ziegler designed HDT MK2’s—they were just amazing from top to bottom and I was just floored by the depth of the soundstage.  They were equally playful with the Torii MKV as well as the 25th Anniversary amp. “ I always thought of the HDT’s being Steve’s project. For clarity, please set me straight if I’m off here, but I wonder if you were talking about the HR2s?

Fun thread,

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #119 - 10/11/23 at 22:37:03

First—thanks a lot for sharing pics from your SLR Bad Wolf—just what I was waiting for!

Secondly, Will—thanks for picking this up.  I mistyped the speaker name in my post and will correct it shortly.  Yes, I meant the HR-2.  I went to the Decware speaker page and it’s not listed yet. I searched and saw a post from Steve from back in May from this year that the page was under construction.  Attaching a pic from another older thread to clarify the speaker.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #120 - 10/11/23 at 22:42:12

For some reason, the modify button isn’t appearing so I am unable to edit it  currently.

Btw Will—you and Lon were missed.  We discussed your contributions on and off the forums during the fest.  It would be our collective dream come true to actually meet you guys in person at a future fest!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #121 - 10/11/23 at 23:48:41

Thanks Kamran, I’m sure I would really enjoy the fest, hanging out with fellow Decware lovers, including Lon. I’m not much of a traveler though, having damaged all the connective tissue in my back pretty seriously, and all the organs sloshed in the mid 90s. We were barely moving in an old 4runner, low headrest, when a tractor and trailer hit us at full highway speed from behind. Never think of cars as lethal weapons, but they are. That was my first near death experience and that part was pretty cool. Coming back into my body and later the shock wearing off I felt like I’ld been dragged through a knothole. Couldn’t read for over six months, too much trouble putting the letters into words. Weird! Getting better though, especially in the last few years! So maybe one day.

I think those HR-2s are really beautiful speakers, and would love to hear them. I remember when Bob first made them he seemed a little worried about the same angle up the sides top to bottom, as opposed to the double chamber HR-1s like Lon and I and others have. But I bet he got used to the change pretty fast. I always loved the new shape, to me they are quite elegant. I seem to remember that you might be able to order them through Bob, but I’m not positive about that. If interested, why not give him a call? Just what you need, another thing to burn in! Huh

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #122 - 10/12/23 at 04:07:31

I understand Will. One’s health comes first. To the extent you feel up to it next year, know that a lot of folks would pay to attend Decfest if they knew you were making an appearance, if only for a day.  That is how much you’re loved and respected.  The same goes for Lon.

As far as the HR-2’s are concerned, they are damn compelling—especially the Deluxe version (looks like Steve just updated the website so there are more details available as well as a YouTube demo).  However, for now, I’m too infatuated with the OB sound and want to continue exploring in that direction.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #123 - 10/12/23 at 10:19:47

Thanks for clearing that up guys. I was ready to give Sarah a call Tuesday after your comments Kamran to order the passive drivers but hesitant after a reread of the review sparked by Blackbess's comments.
I do like the HDTv2s sound and still may just build it. The HRv2 leaves me with some skepticism with the use of crossovers and recommendations of spiking to the floor regardless of the floor's composition. The HRv2 do make a great visual presence with that bookmatched cheery veneer.
John

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #124 - 10/12/23 at 15:26:57

Thanks Kamran Smiley

How about it, we talk about the HR-2s, and how to get them, and Steve gets the site page up just after. Lucky day. I too am intrigued with Lii audio F-15s or Fast-15s and baffles. I guess I’ve been playing with lots of variations of computer drawings for a baffle for quite a few years now… a modified barrel shape that is taller, and proportionately narrower than Randy‘s shape, though a little wider than Randy’s actual dimension, angle built-in, and a different base arrangement that has quite a bit of mass. Been trying to integrate the golden ratio in various ways. I almost got some F-15’s, and then the Fast-15s came out, and I’ve been confused ever since about whether I want the F-15’s with a tweeter, or the Fast-15s with a variation on Steve’s filter. And the HR-1s the way I have them tuned are so good I haven’t been in any real hurry, allowing me to stay in a quandary about that choice. Guessing I couldn’t go wrong either way and look forward to trying baffles one day.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #125 - 10/14/23 at 12:14:11

Kamran,

Great job on the write up. I really enjoyed the details about the fire side chat, and all of the attached pictures from you and other various other members.  The new HR’s i’m sure sound amazing!! I have been so wanting to upgrade my ERR speakers to the new HR2’s… But for now I’ve redirected my audio spending on gear and equipment.  I think next year’s summer project may make me try to build a pair of F15 open baffles… I would really like to give them a try.  

You definitely nailed the fire side chat so next year we can take it to the next level.  It would definitely be great to record the event and if we can get that to Live stream would even be better.  All in all it’s like everybody had a great time as expected.  

Dom

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #126 - 10/15/23 at 22:55:11

Thanks Dom—it really was a blast and I’m already starting to think about questions and logistics for 2024.  In the meantime, here are two clips that I had GroovySauce record for Tony’s questions.  They should be active until Nov 10 on iCloud.  The quality (both audio and video) is serviceable given no external mic and being recorded from about 15 ft away.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/00apauRgOsoZ7h7LrxlxOw4SQ

https://share.icloud.com/photos/09f1i9GiDcma7fbWU-gt10wxQ

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #127 - 10/16/23 at 03:48:26

Thanks for the video clips Kamran!!  Minus the volume level being a bit low…they came out good.  Next year we can make it better with some effort.  I would love to see this as a livestream for next year.  Something to work on….so let’s talk more about it.

Dom

IP Logged
RonP
Verified Member

Reply #128 - 10/20/23 at 14:00:28

Hello what are these speakers? I've circled them in red here.

Sorry I missed DecFest.. I really need to get up there and have a listen.

soon(tm)!!  

Nottingham Ace Spacedeck TT w/Heavy Kit + AudioMods S6 + SoundSmith Paua mk II • Modwright PH9.0XT • Cambridge CXNv2 (ModWright) & CXC • Modwright LS99 • Decware TORII MK5 • PI Audio UberBUSS • TriodeWireLabs Power Cables • Clayton Shaw Caladans (Ordered)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #129 - 10/20/23 at 14:31:26

RonP wrote on 10/20/23 at 14:00:28:
Hello what are these speakers? I've circled them in red here.

https://i.imgur.com/ryQELYF.jpg

Sorry I missed DecFest.. I really need to get up there and have a listen.

soon(tm)!!  

https://wathenspeakers.com/store/p136/CryoTone_Dipole_Speaker_Pair.html

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #130 - 10/20/23 at 16:23:33

YUP... in for a pair!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #131 - 10/23/23 at 20:36:51

Thank you for posting clips of the fireside chat, Kamran!

I was hoping that you would share them.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Nishant
Verified Member

Reply #132 - 12/27/23 at 17:53:21

A bit late to the post-fest thread but just wanted to chime in with a note of appreciation.

Thanks all for a wonderful time, to Steve and his family for the hospitality, and all the other attendees for being so welcoming to me and my friend Brady.  Enjoyed the chats as well as all the music.   Between work and kids, it's hard to get away and do something for myself but decided, on a whim, to attend for my birthday and you all made it special.  Thank you!!

Standout for me was that HR-2, I see it's on the website now - Bob really killed it here with this speaker and I just kept coming back to it all weekend.  It's at the top of my list for when I buy a bigger house.  Of course another standout was the Headwrecker - maybe just maybe I will one day hear it combined with those gigantic subs Steve has hidden in those corners (Decfest 2024 perhaps?)

Looks like I'm going to have to request a change to my order and go for a Torii instead of the UFO2.1 Smiley

- Nishant

IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print