04/29/24 at 12:34:12 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Decfest 2023 (Read 26052 times)
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Decfest 2023
07/06/23 at 00:46:04

Figured I’d start the 2023 Decfest thread in the General Discussion section to build critical mass before it gets moved to the Decfest section where it actually belongs.  I feel like we were discussing Decfest 2022 way before July and then registrations opened up during the first half in August.

To the extent Steve is going to organize the 2023 event—-I am planning to re-attend and would love to reunite with folks from last year as well as any of the forum members who couldn’t make it last year.  It is such a great opportunity to connect with fellow enthusiasts, enjoy Steve’s rig and hospitality, and leave with some friends, and learnings (or two).

So a show of hands, if you will, to get a sense of who’s planning to attend —to build up the excitement for this years fest!

Listening, learning, and connecting happens organically as you venture from place to place—-Steve’s rig to the shed, where Randy is doing his thing, to the porch area, to the backyard around the bonfire and even within the confines of Steve’s woodworking shop.  I had meaningful interactions in all of these places over the course of my two days last year.

That said, I was noodling on the possibility of a structured bonfire gathering where we can grill Steve and other learned members about all things audio.  I know it’s taking a leaf out of what typical Audio conventions do when they have talks or panels in parallel to the exhibitors—but done in a more informal fireside chat setting vs. being mic’d up in a hotel meeting room.

Maybe this is silly idea but I figured, what the heck, a silly idea might lead to something interesting and shake things up (not that things need shaking), and the opportunity for all or most of us to be in the same place at the same time, seems like too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Think of the “Exploring Bass Discussion” by GroovySauce, De-Coupling or Coupling or dedicated circuits thread that I started, or Same Old DD’s exploration in to DIY speakers, but in real-time—and in a more intimate setting.  There are so many topics to explore and inquiring minds want to learn!  We could vote on 3-4 discussion topics and concentrate on peppering the esteemed panel with our questions? Perhaps Steve can use his video rig to livestream this fireside chat for members who can’t attend?

Again, this could be the silliest idea in the world and feel free to tell me so. Regardless of whether we end up doing this or not, I look forward to another great Decfest.

Cheers,

Kamran

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Re: Decfest 2023
Reply #1 - 07/06/23 at 08:10:09

Hey Kamran,

I won't be able to make it in person, but the idea of a livestreamed Q&A with Steve, Randy, and some of the other audio wizards in attendance would definitely get my attention. Good idea.

Randy

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/07/23 at 03:45:00

Thanks for the vote of confidence Randy.  Based on your feedback, I already have a great name for the shindig:

“A Fireside Chat with Audio Wizards”

If that is not going to attract members, I don’t know what will  :)

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/08/23 at 16:04:48

My brother and I are planning on attending this year.

I'm neutral on the informal-formal fireside chat. Either way I'm confident it's going to be another great weekend!

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/08/23 at 17:15:25

Agreed—either way, we’re going to get our heads wrecked!

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #5 - 07/17/23 at 15:02:37

Anybody else get an email invite from Decware for the 2023 Zenfest?
It has an RSVP button in it - which just takes you to the "contact us" page, for questions about orders, etc.  I don't see a place to actually RSVP - anybody else?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #6 - 07/17/23 at 15:13:07

Good Morning MD,

No, I did not receive one.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/17/23 at 15:26:19

MD, I was wondering likewise, thinking just filling out the form to Sarah may be the way to RSVP?

Tony,

It may be that you have to have signed up for the Decware appreciation list to get these emails... not sure, but a guess. This link is where the email link took me. https://www.decwareproducts.com/ an expanded Decware site area with different things and people... pages and forms about support of different kinds, papers, ordering, troubleshooting, build list, ... and at the bottom, a signup for the customer appreciation.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #8 - 07/17/23 at 15:27:28

I had a similar issue with the RSVP email.  Thought it might have been my lack of computer smarts.

This year will mark over twenty years of continued attendance of Deafest.  The first week of October is often the last week of pleasant weather in these parts.  It is a great chance to put a face on the folks that post on these forums.

I am in agreement with Kamran' suggestion to have a structured Q&A session with the Zen Master himself.  This would give those who can't attend something more than just seeing a bunch of people moving around.

Just my thoughts

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #9 - 07/17/23 at 18:41:25

The RSVP button has been fixed.

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/17/23 at 19:11:22

I haven’t received the invite yet (oh, the irony) and have reached out to Sarah to investigate.

Thanks for the support Paul!  Would love to hear from more prospective attendees as well as folks who will be following the live stream.  Looking forward to reconnecting.

So far—-attendees that I know will be returning:

Paul2
Yours Truly
GroovySauce
Palamino

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/17/23 at 22:43:36

For those of you who didn’t get the email, I happened to come across the RSVP post on Decware’s Facebook page and successfully registered.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #12 - 07/18/23 at 03:45:00

I just returned the RSVP .....

If I am still on this side of the sod, I will be there .....

Looking forward to seeing everyone,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 07/19/23 at 00:45:07

Looking forward Randy! You’re an integral part of the Decfest experience!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/07/23 at 23:03:07

Hi Kamran,

I just got to this.  I haven't been on the forum much due to spending lots of time in Michigan doing outdoor stuff.

I am planning on going.  I did get an invite.  I assumed it was because I'm on the mailing list.

I think Lonely Raven and Bad Wolf of CDApS fame will be attending again this year as well.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 08/08/23 at 21:51:10

It looks like I am going to miss the Decfest for the first time in at least 12 years.

I have zero things to do on any weekend for months on either side of the 'fest but it just won't work out this year.

Hopefully everyone will have a great time.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 08/08/23 at 21:56:46

Won't be the same.  Sorry I missed you last year Donnie.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #17 - 08/09/23 at 16:08:24

From Donnie .....
Quote:
It looks like I am going to miss the Decfest for the first time in at least 12 years.

I have zero things to do on any weekend for months on either side of the 'fest but it just won't work out this year.

Hopefully everyone will have a great time.

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/11/23 at 04:07:06

Thanks for confirming Tom.  I was just looking at flights to Chicago the other day—still seem a bit expensive— I am going to wait a little while longer.  I am deliberating whether to do what I did last year (fly into Chicago and driving West to Peoria) vs. flying in to Peoria (which will involve flying in to Charlotte first so there’s a connection involved).

Donnie—that’s disappointing . I was looking forward to connecting with you this year around. I think you left early last year, right?

Updating my list of known attendees who have confirmed their attendance so far:

Paul2
Yours Truly
GroovySauce
Palamino
LonelyRaven
Bad Wolf
Randy in Caintuck

Still haven’t given up on the fireside chat idea.  Going to reach out to the Deckerts soon.

IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #19 - 08/11/23 at 16:56:39

I'll be there also. Add me to the list.

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 08/11/23 at 17:08:31

There goes the neighborhood.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 08/11/23 at 23:14:37

Thx jpv—list updated below—let’s keep it coming!

Paul2
Kamran
GroovySauce
Palomino
LonelyRaven
Bad Wolf
Randy in Caintuck
Jpv

IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #22 - 08/19/23 at 05:39:54

Add me to the list. I am bringing my homemade Bluetooth speakers and coffee.

SOTA sapphire turntable with Soundsmith the Voice cartridge
Schiit Jotunheim with phono card
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
1959 Motorola EL84 tube amp
Decware imperials with Altec 811b horns and Alnico drivers
Raspberry pi / Volumio as a streamer
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 08/19/23 at 07:01:47

Good to hear from you Steve. Looking forward. Your name goes on top for bringing coffee and speakers!

SteveB
Paul2
Kamran
GroovySauce
Palomino
LonelyRaven
Bad Wolf
Randy in Caintuck
Jpv

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 08/25/23 at 03:11:27

Flights and hotel booked today.  Landing in Chicago the day before and driving to Peoria the next morning. This just reminded me that I need to book the rental as well.

Update on the fireside chat:  Steve is up for it!  That said, not sure yet if it’s going to be an esteemed panel of audio experts sharing their wisdom or a panel made of the Deckert family giving us a sneak peak behind the curtain of how the business is run and taking your questions.  That is Steve’s call.  I’m happy to coordinate/moderate either option.

Additional thoughts/comments welcome!

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 08/25/23 at 14:02:31

I plan on coming but have not booked airfare and hotel.  Where is everybody staying?
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 08/25/23 at 14:56:05

Bob, welcome aboard (adding your name to the list).

I ended up booking the same hotel as last year—The Hampton Inn East Peoria, which is a 13 min drive to Decware.  I recall at least one other Decfest participant from last year who stayed at the same hotel.  Of course, there are many others (most on the other side of the river, which adds to the commute).  Good luck with your search!

SteveB
Paul2
Kamran
GroovySauce
Palomino
LonelyRaven
Bad Wolf
Randy in Caintuck
Jpv
Kulafu

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 08/25/23 at 15:59:50

Kamran,
Thankls.  I have been wanting to go for the last 2 years but something always came up.  Hopefully not this time.  If I fly, it would be around 9hours  (drive to airport, wait at airport, disembark, get rental and the drive to peoria).  If I drive from Richmond, Va it would be a 12 hour drive plus stops.  I got time to decide though.
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 08/27/23 at 13:19:45

OK, I had to rearrange my fall schedule because of unforeseen issues. So, it looks like there will be time to attend Decfest this year.
I will most likely depart from Pittsburgh area early on Friday morning to be in Peoria around noon. If anyone is interested, I am up to share a room and/or carpool.
Hmmmm, I never got a notice from Decware this year? What are the dates?
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 08/27/23 at 20:02:08

John,

You made my day!

Event Details:

Oct 6-8– If you go to Decware’s facebook page and scroll down just a couple of posts, you will see the registration post.

We will have to reenact our badass entry from last year.  But lunch and coffee in downtown first!  Adding you to the list:

SteveB
Paul2
Kamran
GroovySauce
Palomino
LonelyRaven
Bad Wolf
Randy in Caintuck
Jpv
Kulafu
JBzen

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 08/28/23 at 09:59:56

Registered yesterday for Decfest. Was surprised to see that there was only 7 spots left out of 100. For those on the fence, best decide before there is no more availabilty.

Badass? Hmmm...might have to clad with skull cap, black leather shirt, pants, and boots Grin

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 09/10/23 at 05:37:47

Good news, not only is Don (from Cryotone fame and recently on the mend from health issues) driving down to Decfest, he’s bringing some tubes, speakers and get this—a cryo’d Sarah and a Torii Jr! Now we’re talkin! Updating list:

Don - Cryotone
SteveB
Paul2
Kamran
GroovySauce
Palomino
LonelyRaven
BadWolf
Randy in Caintuck
Jpv
Kulafu

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #32 - 09/10/23 at 19:24:46

That news makes attending Decfest sound even more enticing. A chance to enjoy some awesome music is always something to treasure. Besides Mr. Deckert, Don is someone I want to meet.

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 09/10/23 at 19:33:34

Will Don be around both days?  I missed him last year.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 09/10/23 at 20:08:52

Hey Tom,

He said he was driving down this time so he’s not restricted by flight times, plus this will give him the ability to bring more gear to the fest.  So I think it’s a safe assumption that he’s going to stick around for both days.

I’m actually very intrigued to hear a cryo’d amp vs stock.  Funny, I accidentally discovered an old thread (from 2019) where GroovySauce Had posted about Cryo’d amps.  At the time, Wathen and Cryotone were not on anyone’s radar and so nobody really seemed to know whether cryo really made a difference or was snake oil.  Fast forward to 2023, I think Cryotone has safely passed the test in terms of cryo’d tube performance, but I’ve been separately wondering whether anyone has taken advantage of their amp cryo service.  Maybe post fest, once Don can show us a demo.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #35 - 09/10/23 at 20:20:09

Quote:
Posted by: Kamran      Posted on: Today at 12:08:52
...but I’ve been separately wondering whether anyone has taken advantage of their amp cryo service...

JOMAN has had both his CSP3 and UFO25 cryo'd:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1676206838

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 09/10/23 at 21:07:15

Thanks CA James—missed that thread as I haven’t explored the UFO25 sub forum apart from the 25th anniversary thread.  This is certainly promising.

I’m actually contemplating whether it makes sense to have my Sarah go straight to Don (perhaps he can drive it back to Texas!) and just get it cryo’d from the get go vs. having to disrupt my listening sessions for a few weeks later down the road. Of course, the downside to that is that I won’t be able to tell the difference between stock and cryo’d, which does bother me.

Typically I wouldn’t even entertain this thought, but I’m not in a position to do any listening for the next month anyways as we are remodeling our house and I am trying to keep my basement listening room sealed from excess dust as renovations take place.  Today actually marks the first full week of non-listening. I expect my parts to be pulled next week, so the amp (hopefully) should be ready just before Decfest.  In sheer frustration of the timing of the renovation, I was talking to my son the other day and was asking him whether to do the unthinkable and ask Sarah to delay my Sarah and he was like no, just get it so we can stare at the box at least!

#firstworldproblems

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 09/12/23 at 02:51:18

So I was looking at rental car rates from Midway and was surprised at the jacked up rates across multiple sites.  I was about give up and pull the trigger before I thought of checking the Hopper app and the rate I got from them was 50% off the typical rates I was seeing!  So I sprang for it. They don’t disclose the the rental agency until you pay and it turned out to be Avis, which is great.  Figured I’d share this with any other member who is planning to rent a car.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 09/12/23 at 21:55:45

I’ve exciting news to share.  Plans are coming to fruition regarding the fireside chat.

When: Saturday, Oct 7th
Time: 7 Pm
Where: Steve’s backyard, right next to the shop.
Panelists: Steve Deckert and Don Thomas
Moderator: Yours Truly
Duration: 1 hr

Recording the fireside chat is a logistical issue—it will take up too much space on one device.  That said, if there are any volunteers who are willing to record the Q&A session on their phones (basically breaking it out in to 4 ppl—so no one person has more than 15 min of video), we could then send the clips to Steve for consideration of posting it on the Decware Youtube channel for the benefit of members who aren’t able to attend. Otherwise, it remains a good tease or motivation for members to participate as the only way to experience it!

Steve prefers it unscripted but we also want to manage the time well, so no one is away from the listening room for long (after all, that’s the main attraction).  Therefore, please start sending me questions. You can PM me and I will collate.  I’m pretty sure I’d should be able to get in all the questions, in the unlikely event that I have to cut it, I am sure you can catch a hold of Steve or Don separately.

Looking forward!

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #39 - 09/12/23 at 23:29:52

There should be other fairly simple ways to record other than cell phones. I’ve seen on prior livestreams that people have brought their cameras to Decfest to photograph gear. Many cameras can record several hours, limited by storage media, heat and battery power. The newer Canon, Nikon mirrorless and most Panasonic and Sony cameras can record several hours.

You can also hold a special Fireside Zoom session, so those at home can log in and interact in real time. Would just need a strong WiFi connection and gear to set it up (computer, camera, mic and perhaps speaker to hear those at home if you wanted to do that). A moderator can also manage questions through the chat function if you’d prefer to mute those at home. Zoom sessions can be recorded for future use as well.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 09/12/23 at 23:43:37

I won’t be able to attend. I love the idea of being able to watch the chat either live or recorded.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 09/13/23 at 01:12:50

I had a planning call earlier today with Devon (family matriarch) and she indicated that given the lack of good wifi outside, live-streaming will be challenging and did not recommend going that route.  Given all the logistics that the Deckert fam have to think about hosting 100 ppl at their home, I certainly don’t want impose on them any further.  I’m limited on space as I am flying in to Chicago, but anyone driving to Peoria is welcome to bring their camera to record the whole thing and provide the footage to Steve.  The cell phone recording idea remains our ideal backup option considering everyone carry’s one in their pocket and the quality nowadays is excellent.  So quick and convenient without imposing on anyone to lug something heavier. But if you do…we will really appreciate it!

I am starting to think about questions tonight…so send me yours. I will give credit to the source when asking the question so everyone will have their 15 second of fame!

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #42 - 09/13/23 at 08:00:55

Thanks Kamran. If I were able to attend the festivities, I’d be glad to offer any assistance, but unfortunately I’ll have to be content with catching some of the livestream from home. I certainly understand not wanting to inconvenience anyone. The Decware crew are already so gracious in all they do to host such an event. Hopefully there can be a way to make the chat available for those of us who are unable to attend. I’m sure there will be a lot of great discussion and insight.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 09/13/23 at 10:42:30

Last year there were many fire side chats of varying subjects. Many other areas of the venue also contained impromptu chats with attendees. Those chats created some of the most memorable moments of the Decfest along with the main attractions of Steve's listening room, shop, and Randy's shed.

Hope the weather is mild and dry. This year I am thinking of reserving a site in a campground less then a mile away with showers which would give me more incentive to attend Sunday mornings breakfast. Last year my room was too far east of Steve's leaving more desire to head home upon waking Sunday morning Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 09/13/23 at 13:27:13

I’ll be sleeping in a van down by the river.  

Actually a shower sounds nice. What’s the name of the campground?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 09/13/23 at 13:28:27

I’ll be sleeping in a van down by the river.  

Actually a shower sounds nice. What’s the name of the campground?  I thought I saw one on a map near there once.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #46 - 09/14/23 at 01:08:08

The way to deal with connectivity by the fire pit is to set up a WIFI hot spot using a phone.  We do this whenever the internet goes down and it's actually I think even faster.

If anyone decides to take it on, I would practice outside in a dimly lit area to see what kind of picture quality you can get.

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 09/14/23 at 04:41:52

Yeah, the low lighting was another challenging factor in addition to the Wi-Fi.

The hotspot idea is doable—as long as the cell service is good and the lighting isn’t too bad. Do you know what cell service (between AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile) has the strongest signal in your neck of the woods?

I have T-Mobile and I could bring my iPad to start a zoom session though I only have the free version which only lasts 40 minutes per session. To the extent someone has a paid version with no session time limits would be the ideal scenario.

My biggest concern is to overpromise and under deliver. Will definitely need a volunteer to handle this while I concentrate on putting you and Don on the spot!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 09/14/23 at 10:00:33

Palomino the campground is called Millpoint. It is a 2 mile drive from Decware.  Millpoint offers tenting areas and a handful of tent camp sites with electric and water. Two adults and two vehicles are permitted on the latter. I will call today to see if there is a tent site available.

Kamran I have a couple of 600 watt stage lighting cans(with tripods) left over from the DJ rig. There is also white diffusers. Could throw one of those in the trunk if you wish.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 09/14/23 at 14:14:04

Thanks JB.  I looked on a map and thought that might be the place.

I like the live I approach. An alternative would be to use a digital video camera.  You could edit and post after.   Just copy the file from the disk.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print