Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 07:53:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84C with 8-ohm speakers? (Read 874 times)
eagle
Verified Member

SE84C with 8-ohm speakers?
06/07/23 at 21:01:11

Hi, all.

I have an SE84C that I love, and I bought it from the original owner.  At purchase, he also gave me some speakers, which I have been using since day 1.  However, life changes, and I'm trying to convince my wife to let me keep the tube amplifier... but the speakers probably need to go.

Can I drive 8-ohm speakers with the SE84C?  I don't care about volume -- my use case is to have quiet background music during dinner.  I just want to be able to keep my setup as much as possible, and I don't want to destroy the amp with these speakers.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Re: SE84C with 8-ohm speakers?
Reply #1 - 06/08/23 at 00:44:07

You might want to email support on this one, unless somebody chimes in with the right answer. I bought a SE84C-EX and wasn’t 100% sure if it was 4 or 8 ohm, I found conflicting info on it. Emailed and Steve replied:

The EX designation simply set the amplifier up to drive 8 ohms speakers.  The standard version was for 4 ohm speakers so you're probably lucky it worked out that way.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
eagle
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 06/08/23 at 02:34:35

Thanks, Sean. I have contacted support.

I do know that when I purchased my unit, I sent it to Decware for them to check it and do the warranty transfer.  I know they did some mod on it, but don't know what that was.  Hopefully I'm good here.

IP Logged
Shenanigan3
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/21/23 at 11:06:05

That's great. I get all

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print