Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 20:24:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rectifier swap SE84UFO and ZP3 (Read 668 times)
Sean
Seasoned Member

Rectifier swap SE84UFO and ZP3
06/20/23 at 00:19:21

Sometimes I wish I knew what I was thinking. This is one of those times. I've had my SE84UFO w/25th mods for about 11 months now and I swapped rectifiers and tube here n there, but it's been awhile. I landed on a good combo and just let it ride. I've had my ZP3 about 8 months and haven't touched the tubes in it for about a month, again liking the combo. I had a Sentinel 5U4G (looks like a rebranded RCA 5U4G) in the UFO and a RCA 5U4G in the ZP3. Few days ago I swapped the rectifiers just to see what change it would make. Wow. It's like someone snuck in and hid a subwoofer in the room. Besides more bass, it sounds quicker and more authoritative. Everything just sounds bigger. Never ceases to amaze me the small changes that can have a huge effect with this gear. Led me to think maybe that Sentinel wasn't up to snuff, so I replaced it with a Westinghouse 5U4G, again looks like a rebranded RCA. That change wasn't as significant. Perhaps one day I'll look back at today and wonder WTF were you thinking?!

Now I'm curious if rolling a rectifier in a power amp has a greater effect as compared to rolling them in a pre like the ZP3?

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Rectifier swap SE84UFO and ZP3
Reply #1 - 06/20/23 at 00:31:54

Every tube matters in these components--they are so clear sounding. I've been making discoveries like this for over two decades now. It's a journey that may never end. .. .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print