Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 23:07:10 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
Swiss Digital FUSE BOX (Read 46076 times)
verafi

Re: Swiss Digital FUSE BOX
Reply #350 - 04/13/24 at 17:26:55

@Lon

Oh my...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #351 - 04/13/24 at 21:29:45

Mark, that rarely happens around here, a mis-delivery, but I bet it wasn't our normal UPS fellow, who is as nice as can be and certainly knows this address as lots of packages come in--he says I'm his job security. Wink

I got a chance to go up and listen unexpectedly and couldn't resist setting the second SDFB up with the power cords and used the Super Sluggo. I mean the Super Sluggo is great--I just preferred the High Purity Copper by a bit. Another advantage, the Super Sluggo has more a week or so of use on it, it's broken in and I know how it sounds. That said: it's a nice blend, the High Purity Copper in the P15 regenerator, and the Super Sluggo in the SEWE300B. Having two SDFB gives the sound (so far) just a bit more meat to the instrumental texture and tone and a touch of mellowness that is welcome, the presentation pushed back just a bit, the way I like it in this room.

Of course after about 30 minutes of listening the mail arrived with the High Purity Copper Sluggo you sent! That's how it works. I'll give the Super Sluggo a few days before swapping out.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #352 - 04/13/24 at 22:39:48

I do have ONE more AC-12 I could purpose behind another SDFB and the seed has been planted here that the DSD MK II might benefit. . . it draws a bit of current. . .and my PST and NPC both feed it. . . hmm.

It never ends! Kamran has three. I have to consider keeping up with him.;)

I’m looking forward to seeing the pricing on the Graphene Sluggo.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #353 - 04/13/24 at 22:52:52

I also have three SDFBs, which allow me to put Sluggos in every fused component in my system (five total). Between those and the Furutech outlet, it really has made a dramatic difference. Plus Mark is always coming up with something new (that man needs to take a nap once in a while!) This is the sort of thing that makes this hobby so much fun.

I have a feeling the STL Super Rectifier I'm ordering will be the last major addition I make to the system for a while. I'll be putting a Sluggo into that as well... Not sure if I'll need an additional SDFB to make that work...

If my girlfriend knew how much money I've sunk into the unseen space between the wall and the amplifiers... Well, normal people don't do that!  ;D

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #354 - 04/13/24 at 23:24:46

LOL Lon!  Go for it!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
verafi

Reply #355 - 04/13/24 at 23:36:45

@Lon

Sigh of relief

@bloodlemons --- normal  :)

Graphene looks like it will be

5 x 20mm  $250

6 x 32mm  $350

Only wish I had a way to do better

Trying...

Thanks

Mark

PS

@Kamran - Thanks for your note

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #356 - 04/14/24 at 00:49:47

Thanks for that info Mark. I know that it's expensive stuff and manufacturing tech.

I'm listening a bit again and the sound is very nice. The two Sluggos are getting along well and the device is settling in. This is such a cool time to be an audiophile!

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #357 - 04/14/24 at 02:27:30

I don’t recall who it was but I recall a member here years ago saying that they kept a close eye on their amp and weren’t worried about terminal damage, so they put a solid bar where the fuse would go and just rolled with it. It would be interesting to hear how the SDFB compares to no fuse at all.
I currently have a UFO25 and a p2p zkit with diode rectification. I went through a phase where I replaced the fuse with a silver bar, and eventually just replaced the whole fuse/iec socket with a Furutech socket and no fuse. It sounds great, I watch my gear closely, and accept the risk. But I still wonder if I’m missing something that the SDFB adds? Anyone?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #358 - 04/14/24 at 09:40:19

I think the only thing you are missing is the digital protection the SDFB adds to the equation.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #359 - 04/14/24 at 10:02:03

I am with you Gilf. Also running my clone SE 84 full out with a 4 gauge 20mm copper jumper in the IEC fuse holder. Your probably not missing anymore than anyone else is missing after the initial change when adding new stuff to a revealing system.

I am happy with my system’s sound and really got sidetracked with updates by listening and cleaning new to me vinyl and tape. I have a few things on the back burner that got delayed because of this. Like, eliminating all fused IECs with a thermal central control system with an overkill 50 amp DC relay shutdown, finish with DIY Decware inspired interconnects, build an articulating stand for the Otari, and build or finish the right speakers for my space.

Wondering what you notice when eliminating the fused IEC as compared to jumping it out?

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #360 - 04/14/24 at 10:11:50

Quote:
I think the only thing you are missing is the digital protection the SDFB adds to the equation.

I think more like what signature the SDFB adds to the equation.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #361 - 04/14/24 at 11:34:56

Well I beg to differ. I think the box itself is very transparent. I tried it with the fuse in place before changing out to a Sluggo and really discerned no difference. The biggest signature is likely the additional power cord, and in my case I'm using identical ones before and after, which sortof negates differences. In this particular case I think he is most missing the protection the box provides.  

This second SDFB implementation in the system even in these early hours is very intriguing. Adding it the Decware SEWE300B amp in place of the Audio Magic M-1 has had a more than subtle effect on the overall sound. There is even more “blackness” behind all the sound, and this gives instrumental imaging a bit more solidity and “reality.” I’m especially noticing micro-dynamics with a bit more clarity, enhancing overall dynamics with a dash of vividness. And as a lover of piano I am noticing both the “touch” of the pianist on the keys and pedals seem more natural and the resonance of the soundboard and the interplay of this with the room and microphone gel together alluringly.

I didn’t really expect these differences to be so defined. It does make me wonder what an SDFB on the DSD Mk II might bring out. Sigh. My wallet hurts. Maybe when my return money from the Loki Max arrives . .

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #362 - 04/14/24 at 12:13:54

Did you try it with just the Sluggo in place bypassing the box? I dare you Smiley

On another note, I am very curious about the graphene sluggos. I may just order one.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #363 - 04/14/24 at 13:12:34

Bloodlemons, I haven’t looked at the fuse in the STR yet, I’m guessing it’s 1.6-3 amps. The 10v 3 amp heaters pull around 0.28 amps at 120v so almost 0.6 amp draw.

I haven’t tried putting a Sluggo in the STR yet.

Lon, I would NEVER talk someone into buying ANYTHING for their stereo… I have found that with many things cables, footers and Sluggos once the last link in the chain is complete there is another bump.

My experience with adding Sluggos is the first one was a significant step up from the SR Purple. Each sluggo after was a nice step up, finally the last component had a Sluggo installed and it was another large jump.

Simply the first and final component had the biggest impact. The in betweens were more linear.

JB, the first month I was experimenting with the SDFB Sluggo combo I did try eliminating the SDFB with the Sluggo in. It was a very slight change. I wrote about it in this thread. Was it the SDFB or because I was doubling the length of the PC and making more connections? I don’t know. It was the same PC on both sides of the SDFB.

A fuse is a safety device and the SDFB is a safety device. The Sluggo is the “improvement” I  leave my stereo on and unattended while I’m in other areas of the house or outside. I don’t feel comfortable bypassing the safety.

Friday afternoon I placed the 2 graphene Sluggos into my fuse burnin rig using the Frycorder 2. Tuesday I’m going to take them out. Tuesday or Wednesday I should have another report after more time on them.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #364 - 04/14/24 at 13:31:52

JBzen wrote on 04/14/24 at 12:13:54:
Did you try it with just the Sluggo in place bypassing the box? I dare you Smiley

I have yes, briefly. Not something I'll do for a length of time. The device itself has very little signature once settled in if at all.

Thanks for the further info GS.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #365 - 04/14/24 at 13:55:57

For those who are doing the calculations. Yes, the math doesn't work as it is .25 amps per tube. I'm going off of what the Torus reports the draw at, which is in .1 increments.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #366 - 04/14/24 at 17:04:44

So following up to Groovy’s explanation about the multiple SDFBs, I have been meaning to follow-up for a couple of days.

The first jump (amp) was eye opening, the second jump (DAC), was nice, noticeable change, but the third one (streamer) has left me shaking my head in amazement.  The soundstage meaningfully increased in all directions, but if I had to pick one supremely-in your face-cant deny type of change w.r.t. to soundstage, it would be height followed closely by depth.  

That alone was remarkable, but it didn’t stop there.

The vocals became more natural, more intimate, and more intoxicating.

The resolution of notes increased by 2x.  Clear, vivid, and even more precisely layered.  More details were discovered—a phenomenon that never ceases to amaze me.

Here’s how I would describe it…with the first 2 SDFBs, it felt like a great mod—more headroom, more blackness etc.  With the third SDFB, it doesn’t hit like a mod.  It hits like a freight truck—as in I went from a $3K streamer to a $13K streamer.

I do have possession of the Graphene sluggo but I’m in the middle of evaluating some additional items.  I need to understand their sound signature first before add the new sluggo.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #367 - 04/14/24 at 18:47:29

Kam, do you think that the impact of the third SDFB was so intense. . . possibly because of the component itself? Perhaps that component needed the jolt and drive of the SDFB more to be all it can be? Just wondering why the third one was such a charm.

Thanks for explaining those levels of improvement. Helps me to imagine and ponder.

Looking forward to your graphene Sluggo impressions. It's pricey. . . and I really like the two Sluggos I've auditioned. . . but there's always a "what if" and FOMO factor.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #368 - 04/14/24 at 19:07:37

Kamran, Nice follow up. Good to have a few people weigh in to give others a more full picture.

Lon and everyone else. I will be reporting by the seat of my pants on the graphene Sluggo. I'm also going to give it due time as it is a spendy proposition. I'm glad Kamran is in the game for a demo of the graphene Sluggo too  so there is a broader experience base to share.

I did ~3 days of burn in on the other Sluggos in the custom rig so should be in the same ball park.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #369 - 04/14/24 at 19:36:05

Thanks!

94751cd697142604d9f83475e85671269dbb4a20.jpg

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #370 - 04/14/24 at 20:56:14

I put the Sluggos into all of my components before I got the fuse boxes entirely sorted because I didn't order the correct fuse box ratings at first. So I was using the first two fuse boxes with the CSP3 and ZP3, but was listening to the whole system with Sluggos -- I would turn off the circuit breaker when I left the house, in an abundance of caution.

So, now that I have all three fuse boxes hooked up appropriately, I don't know that I'm noticing a huge difference from how things sounded with the Sluggos but without the fuse boxes. But the peace of mind that comes with having the fuses boxes in place is priceless.

The cumulative effect is very substantial, however. I'm listening to AIR - Moon Safari right now and the music is just floating in the air. Obviously, there are a lot of other factors in my system contributing to that output, but the Sluggos/SDFBoxes are an important part of the recipe at this point.

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #371 - 04/14/24 at 21:40:55

bloodlemons wrote on 04/14/24 at 20:56:14:
I would turn off the circuit breaker when I left the house, in an abundance of caution.

So, now that I have all three fuse boxes hooked up appropriately, I don't know that I'm noticing a huge difference from how things sounded with the Sluggos but without the fuse boxes. But the peace of mind that comes with having the fuses boxes in place is priceless.

The cumulative effect is very substantial, however. I'm listening to AIR - Moon Safari right now and the music is just floating in the air. Obviously, there are a lot of other factors in my system contributing to that output, but the Sluggos/SDFBoxes are an important part of the recipe at this point.

I would not rest easy with the Sluggos without the devices either.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #372 - 04/14/24 at 22:30:11

Thanks for the input Lon and JB.

Lon, that was really the input I was looking for. Your experienced ear combined with your thoughts that the SDFB is overall neutral and not adding color or embellishment is what I was trying to understand.

JB, I agree. For me it is about simplicity. It is hard to compare my UFO and zkit because they are in two different rooms with two different systems. Overall, there is low to negligent risk in de-fusing a solid state power section. What I got from both amps by converting to high quality unfused IEC outlets was greater attack and speed of transients, with a perceived extension of bottom end that has an insane control.

Perhaps the SDFB offers the same thing. It doesn’t make sense for me on my ‘84 circuits but due to the rave reviews here it is definitely something I am considering as my Sarah breaks in.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #373 - 04/14/24 at 22:47:46

One thing I neglected to mention in my review is that the there was a significant impact to the lower octaves as well – I haven’t heard bass this good in the system.

Lon, there is something to the jolt idea. I went from a 2A fuse to a 3.15A rated SDFB as recommended by the manufacturer.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #374 - 04/14/24 at 23:35:59

I bet going up in value on the "fuse" did account for some of the impact of the third device.

Improvement to the lower octaves is something I can always welcome. Thanks for the mention.

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #375 - 04/15/24 at 00:08:33

Low end improvement is the first thing I notice with the Sluggos/SDFB as well. Deeper and wider, without bloat. Really nice.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #376 - 04/15/24 at 00:11:32

I’ll be ordering a SDFB this week. Already grabbed the last DHC2 and an outlet box. Plan to go wall outlet, piggy, SDFB, DHC3, outlet box, three DHC2 to ZP3, CSP2+, and UFO. Mark said this should work well. I think I’m leaning towards the copper sluggos to start. Normally I’d be super stoked an addition like this, but the last week or so of listening has left me with complete satisfaction of where I am. Just this one last additional and I swear if it sounds great I’m done. Ha. Done, that’s funny.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #377 - 04/15/24 at 00:14:03

Let us know what you think once you get the SDFB in place. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's the kind of improvement where you don't know what you're missing until you hear it.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #378 - 04/15/24 at 01:05:59

I try and temper my expectations. If I hear an improvement like I did going from stock fuse to SR orange or purple, I’ll be satisfied. If that’s too much to expect, I’ll have the protection of not nuking an $80 fuse rolling rectifiers. While that hasn’t happened, luckily so far, I won’t have to worry about it anymore.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #379 - 04/15/24 at 01:08:13

bloodlemons wrote on 04/15/24 at 00:08:33:
Low end improvement is the first thing I notice with the Sluggos/SDFB as well. Deeper and wider, without bloat. Really nice.

Thanks. I've noticed a little bit more bass with each SDFB but I'm always thirsty for more--my room sucks in that regard.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #380 - 04/15/24 at 01:09:49

I'm pretty sure that you will enjoy the SDFB. I noticed a difference over expensive fuses both times I introduced an SDFB. Significant "that settles that" sort of improvement.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #381 - 04/15/24 at 03:42:29

So it seems the next logical progression is for Decware to (1) incorporate the SDFB into their products or (2) offer a compatibility option of a un-fused power inlet to use with the SDFB. There is no reason for a fuse holder to accept a sluggo in the “zen” mentality.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #382 - 04/15/24 at 11:41:34

I think there would be liability issues with those two offerings. Number 1 would add work load to an already burdened Decware. Number 2 could tie Decware up in legal issues. The SDFB is a viable option that plays well right here. Maybe a limit partnership like Lii audio would work but refer back to 2.
I feel tied-up with the Chariot from fear of leaving the system on unattended without circuit protection. I placed the fuse jumpers over two years ago and hardly remembered what exactly it did to the sound. It was good and worth the risk. Blackness, girth, smooth edginess comes to mind.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #383 - 04/15/24 at 19:22:56

I agree. . . this sort of device is not something Decware would most likely offer with their components. This is for the individuals who pursue further into the audio jungle!

Today with the system being warmed up and run in since 4:00 a.m. I can really hear improvements brought by the second SDFB. And I can hear the characteristics that I really did like about the Supper Sluggo in the SEWE300B blending so well with the characteristics that I really liked about the High Purity Copper Sluggo that I preferred by a bit and have in the P15.

(And thank all that be for the ZROCK2--that device continues to be an amazing tool for tailoring the system; looking forward to see if the ZROCK3 will win over the ZROCK2 in this system--I'm 31 on the list right now.)

There definitely is an advantage to having two SDFBs in the system, and in my case if only two I think they are in the right components. The different Sluggos also add an element of tube-rolling, something I must like to do as I have been doing it since the early 'nineties with my old EICO integrated. . . Smiley

Soon I bet. . . the Snubway!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #384 - 04/16/24 at 09:55:17

Ahhhh! The Zrock2! Mine has been idle for awhile now. No, no, no, not thinking of selling it. Back to finishing some of the things on the back burner like DIY Decware interconnects to get the Zrock connected between CSP2 and SE84 clone to facilitate inclusion with vinyl and tape. Somehow I think it was placed in that position before which created a strain on the music? Playing vinyl almost exclusively for about 2 years now and age can tax memory!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #385 - 04/16/24 at 10:19:37

I have 3 ZROCK2, one in each system, and they have become essential elements of my playback experiences. One has all the mods and Miflex caps, one has all the mods and Jupiter caps, and one has Jupiter caps and the Bypass mod.

I'll be selling one when my ZROCK3 arrives (that's my guess--not likely that the ZROCK3 will be the least involving of them!)

Last night and this morning I am hearing  wisps of tone and texture that I haven't before. The second SDFB with the Super Sluggo has really added depth and an ease to the sound. More of an improvement than I ahd anticipated. Dang. These devices are serious audio "wins."

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #386 - 04/16/24 at 10:50:25

I opened the lid on mine. Being a inquisitive DIYer, I think a little wiring mod and possibly cap change/bypass might do me. Although, the VR option is interesting as well as gain control on the 3.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #387 - 04/16/24 at 14:46:28

I let the graphene Sluggos cook in my custom rig with a Frycorder for around 60 hours. I put them in—DAC and amp replacing copper Sluggos—yesterday a little after noon. I didn’t get to properly listen until after dinner.

Wow! the resolution from top to bottom is insane!

Playing some Brent Lewis tracks the drums attack was the best I’ve ever heard. Placing instruments and singers in space is also very well defined.

The music has a very natural sound and texture. Most of the ultra detailed systems I’ve heard come across as a show piece, not something I would want to live with on a daily basis. The graphene Sluggos are don’t have that quality.

I did listen to a song or two right after I put them in. The few hours between turning the system on with the graphene Sluggos and after dinner I did notice that the bass was starting to fill out a bit more. This was a concern, as much as I enjoy “hearing it all” I do like it to have a bit of sexy swagger. The copper Sluggos have this, just not as much resolution as the graphene.

Me being impatient decided to swap the Sluggos to components that are on 24/7 to speed up burn in and see what the final.

Upon taking the Sluggos out, one of them had some of the graphene flaking off. I contacted Mark. He is committed to offering a top tier product, I’m going to be sending them back so they can figure out what is going on.

I’m looking forward to what is to come. I’m still blown away with how 20mm of metal can have such a profound change in a system that has 10s of feet of signal travel along cables.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #388 - 04/16/24 at 15:02:51

Thanks for those impressions!

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #389 - 04/16/24 at 15:43:45

GroovySauce: Thank you for posting that experience. Is it correct that your takeaway was essentially:

1) Graphene produced best spatial imaging and overall resolution you've ever heard in your system;
2) Graphene is very detailed, but not in an unnatural or clinical sense;
3) Graphene bass is leaner than Copper, but may fill in more with use.
4) Copper is still more ideal in bass department for the time being.

Is that about right? Also, as far as the graphene flaking off, how many times did you swap each one from one fuse-holder to another? To me, it's not surprising that a thin coating of graphene would scrape off if swapped in and out of a sharp metal fuse-holder several times. It will be interesting to see if Mark's team can find a way to make the graphene more durable without affecting the desired sound signature.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #390 - 04/16/24 at 16:18:39

Thanks for the summary, Bloodlemons! Along that line, I have been trying to keep up with all the players, but I have been sluggish Smiley Here is my list, which may contain duplications. Are there any others?

Graphene
Super Sluggo
High Purity Copper: this may be HPC Sluggo as well.
High Purity Brass
Gold Plated Copper
Silver Sluggo
Tellurium Copper

It may be that some of these are experimental and have now been eliminated. It seems like there are two basic sizes and price differences for each. It would be great to have a product comparison and pricing, and I assume that will happen at some point. Any others?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #391 - 04/16/24 at 16:23:49

I'm pretty sure the "Gold-plated copper" is the Super Sluggo. The Super Sluggo is described as "High Purity Copper with Gold Immersion". . . .

The two sizes are the two standard fuse sizes, 5 mm x 20 mm (small) or 6 mm by 32 mm (large). Most Decware components use the small fuse, a few like the ZTPRE and the ZLC the large fuses.

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #392 - 04/16/24 at 16:29:22

The Rhodium-plated Tellurium Copper is the Super Duper Sluggo.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #393 - 04/16/24 at 20:14:58

Quote:
1) Graphene produced best spatial imaging and overall resolution you've ever heard in your system;
2) Graphene is very detailed, but not in an unnatural or clinical sense;
3) Graphene bass is leaner than Copper, but may fill in more with use.
4) Copper is still more ideal in bass department for the time being.

For #1 I’m going to break it into two questions.
1a. Graphene produced best spatial imaging? Sort of, It was very detailed and vivid. Nice level of aliveness. The bass wasn’t quite to the same level yet, It was getting better and better. I have a hunch that with more time the bass would have fully filled out and then it would be a true statement.
1b. Graphene produced best overall resolution you've ever heard in your system? Yes.
2. Correct.
3. See above, This was me reporting live type of comments so nothing is final. I did hear the bass coming in more after more time.
4. This is a tough one. The bass had more detail and precision with the graphene. Copper was a little silkier, had the sexy sashay that the graphene was still trying to learn. Again, I think the graphene was heading that direction.

I want to stress that burnin is a wild animal. The first 150-200 hours of burning in the Lampizator TRP I thought I made a terrible purchase. It sounded really bad, I felt sick to my stomach spending so much money and having it sound lousy. Now I'm over the moon with the TRP.

Twice out of the components and once into the burn in rig. The rig is a bunch of fuse holders daisy-chained together. The ones that have a spring and you screw the cap on. So not much stress.

The Furutech fused IEC holds the fuse TIGHT. Removing the fuse is a struggle both from the component and from the little plastic piece that holds the fuse.

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #394 - 04/16/24 at 20:17:57

Mark sent me a brand-new Super Piggy for my third SDFB. It arrived yesterday afternoon and I haven't had time to install it quite yet. Mark gave me permission to post a picture. As you can see, the cable is quite a bit longer (41 inches, with lighter, significantly more flexible wire (I am not sure of the specific gauge).

IP Logged
verafi

Reply #395 - 04/16/24 at 20:18:03

Hi Guys

I've been caught up with some details these last few days - I really need to get back here and make sure we are clear about each Sluggo name

Not being lazy - just being crazy Smiley

Thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #396 - 04/16/24 at 22:50:31

Most of you may have gotten an email from Verafi about the Snubway--looks as if we are two weeks or so away from the commencement of shipping!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #397 - 04/16/24 at 23:00:13

I thought I had the Super Sluggo in the SEWE300B in the right direction. . . but was noticing what sounded like out of phase bits (just similar) and reversed the direction. . . and darned if it doesn't sound even richer and more laid back!

These components and accessories and tweaks sure keep life interesting!

IP Logged
verafi

Reply #398 - 04/16/24 at 23:07:46

@Lon

So many to answer - Smiley

Re SnubWay

After looking at the Test squeeze we decided to mill the caseworks from solid billet - cost more - but quicker to market.

We are ready to load and rock once these cases arrive

SnubWay is fun - SnubWay is really good.

I included a very nice note from Tom Gibbs at Positive Feedback in the note (from his post on Facebook WITH his permission)...

Many thanks - more to answer... just out of time right now

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #399 - 04/16/24 at 23:35:57

Mark,

Milled from a solid aluminum billet - now that's what I call quality😊. And it's well worth an extra two weeks. Thanks for going the extra mile for your customers👍.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print