Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 18:30:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Addressing Floor Vibration (Read 648 times)
Dogma
Verified Member

Addressing Floor Vibration
02/23/23 at 22:20:36

Hi all!I don't have my UFO yet,but in the meantime I've been trying to improve my 16' x 17' room as best I can. I've added GIK panels floor to ceiling in each corner,one on the (wooden!) ceiling, three on the front wall that cover a large window. The corners where ceiling and walls meet plus the front wall panels affected the largest positive change. The boom when the 70ish hz wave smacked the walls is gone:-)
Recently I've been experimenting with how to reduce the wooden floor vibrations.My speakers are Zu Omen Defs which are bottom ported and I have three subs.
 First I tried Primacoustics recoil platforms under the ZUs and what a difference! I was hoping to tighten the bass some,which definitely happened along with excellent clarity and instrument separation. I was so happy with the outcome I started trying different things under the subs with very different results depending on the various products tried.
1.Vibeboss (1 1/2"foam,mdf,neoprene) two under a sub so all four feet could rest on top resulted in a horrible glare, even under just one sub.Nope. Just one flat against the bottom in between the feet was better.... less glare but the vocals were all "gritty" and overly textured,but I liked that the bass had more bite.
2. IsoAcoustics Apertas 200 speaker stands that I had stashed away in the closet. Under one sub,pretty good. Under two subs a definite yes!Smooooth but now not enough texture. I played some Joe Cocker and the touch of rawness in his voice was  missing. Beautiful but incorrect.
3.After fooling with several footers from the junk box and a Vibeboss under sub #3 I was 99% happy to leave #3 on it's regular feet on the floor. Then I stole the walnut butcher block from under the CDP and along with IsoAcoustics mini pucks under the block I'm finally DONE. There's no glare from brass instruments, flute,harmonica,Shawn Colvin.Joe Cocker and Leonard Cohen are spot on.Plucked and bowed bass are too.
So I ended up using things I already had. Tongue Getting the ratio of equipment weight to the correct amount of density and bounce underneath was interesting though.If I bought the Apertas, mini pucks,and butcher block today it would have been around $600.The Primacoustics were $299 apiece and were the biggest bang for the buck.The platforms were $29 apiece but they're all returned now.
Last night I was listening to Rain Crow - Tony Joe White, the last song Tell me a Swamp Story.It has a very cool atmospheric vibe and I was startled by a burst of low maniacal laughter that used to be just a rumble (before the sub treatments).I jumped, my dog jumped and began looking for the stranger.To me that was worth every penny.But depending on an individual's room and floor I'll bet much improvement could be achieved with things around the house.Different wood, patio stones, tennis balls, etc.
            Current amp is AricAudio Transcend, Rogue pre,AudioMirror dac,Cambridge transport, ZenWave cables.  Decware on the way this year

IP Logged
1stwattlife

Re: Addressing Floor Vibration
Reply #1 - 09/04/23 at 16:13:28

Dogma!

I may be late to the game... but this is particularly the type type of post I was hoping to find. For some reason or another, I like relating my posts to topics already in discussion rather than posting new threads. Don't know why. Maybe it is just to reduce clutter and redundancies on the boards... maybe I am just weird.

I would love to add to the part about addressing issues with things on hand.

I have moved into an apartment recently and have not been able to find the sweet spot in the main living area till last night. The room is "L" shaped with the internal corner of the "L" being the kitchen, so it is actually squareish with an obstruction in the that corner.... that is sort of beside the point other than setting the stage...

I finally figured out how to  arrange the furniture into a usable configuration while maximizing the space acoustically to not just be fighting reflections. This put me utilizing the corner to to force the reflections down the lengths of the "L"  on each side of me. It's brilliant and a night and day difference from every other configuration I tried. At this point I ffeel like I can start investing in room treatment and that it does not equal just grasping at straws...

Everything  was going quite nicely, minus one small thiing.

I am in a second floor apartment. my floor is concrete, but as many folks know, this does not necessarily mead that it is a solid mass. the refrigerator vibrates the floor, the washing machine vibrates the floor... everything vibrates the floor.

Sidenote- I use to play the drums a fair bit. Drum tuning is a thing that I was pretty good at because I figured out that I can visually tune a drum using the light reflecting off of the drum head essentially turning the look of the skin into into the something like the surface of a pond. In the right light you can see the waves not meeting at the appropriate point and adjust tension to zero in the reflected wave to the center of the drum.

At the time that I finally got the speakers to image in the room the bass was just slightly muddied from overbloom from the corner I thought. But, I have not bass traps ATM... how does one address this without turning the bass down, that is IF you have that option available?

While I sat there listening to this discordant reflected frequency, I notice it was like I was sitting on a drum head. The issue I was hearing was much more presenting itself through the floor vibration than in the air. The point of contention seemed to center itself about six feet from each wall, basically right between the speakers.

I am fortunate enough to have a couple REALLY awesome hifi benefactor/guides who occasionally will kick down some thing no longer in use. I had just picked up a (HEAVY) TT stand that was no longer in use and it was sitting in the corner with a plant on it... I removed the plant and transported the stand to the place in the floor where the freq's all jumbled together, mass loading that section of floor. BOOM! Distortion mostly nullified! This also had some diffraction qualities between the two channels.

I now feel like I can add room treatments and that I will be improving a good thing and not just swinging around room treatments hoping to polish a turd!

Just my 2 cents! Thanks for reading!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print