Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 22:39:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The future of USA made tubes (Read 1927 times)
Analogue1
Verified Member

The future of USA made tubes
12/29/22 at 18:07:31

With Western Electric producing the 300B tube that the new Sarah amp is voiced for, what else may we see with new made in the USA tubes? How good will they be? It's most possible WE will have the only USA factory for making tubes. If anyone knows of another company please share any info.

Steve writes in his Sarah amp description..."When we heard Western Electric was considering producing several common guitar amp tubes, many of which Decware amplifiers actually use, we knew the best way to fast track that effort was money."...

In her Stereophile Re-Tales #22 column (June 16, 2022), Julie Mullins writes..."Among those "others" is Western Electric and Charlie Whitener, the company's president and owner."... "The company was planning to expand and diversify tube production even before the Russian invasion, Whitener told me in a recent phone conversation. "We've had a lot of requests for other tubes, so we've put a project together to do that some time ago," he said. "We've been tooling up for producing other types of tubes for over a year." ...
"In 2020, they moved the company from Lee's Summit, Missouri, near Kansas City, to a brand-new factory in Rossville, Georgia. The new factory has infrastructure and capacity, Whitener told me, but they're still working on the tooling for specific parts. Soon, they plan to add 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, 6550, and 6L6 tubes to the WE lineup..."

I for one would be super interested in some WE6550 tubes for my Decware SE34. New stock USA made tubes for a USA handmade amp sounds enticing.

Julie's column at:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/re-tales-22-it-time-tube-surge

John

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: The future of USA made tubes
Reply #1 - 12/29/22 at 18:48:01

This is JMO, but I wouldn't hold your breath for more WE tubes. The 300B tube is big and simple and so (for a vacuum tube) easy to make. Going to an octal dual triode like 6SN7 is basically jumping ahead one generation of tube technology. And going to a miniature 9 pin tube like a 12A[T|U|X]7 is another generation after that. I've been following the WE reboot since the 90's and lets just say the path to reliable production for the 300B was not a smooth one. Perhaps they have already climbed the learning curve and can (relatively) quickly add some new models, but I don't think it is the most likely scenario. Again, JMO/FWIW and all that.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 12/29/22 at 18:50:25

I agree that it is likely to take some time. There has been no real update since the company's design to manufacture more tube types was announced. Even in the speediest of circumstances with unlimited spending and resources this is an undertaking that will take considerable time.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/29/22 at 19:07:18

Similar thoughts/comments posted in the 300b development thread, reply #701
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1649817393/700#700

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/29/22 at 21:34:59

there's also plenty of nos tubes in the world still in collections , alot of those collections belong to the 'elderly' folks ...... meaning they will sooner or later be re released into the wild and available and with the entire world 'internet educated' ? i doubt those collections will be tossed away in the garbage.

that doesn't help us old timers but the youth shouldn't feel the need to panic

IP Logged
Analogue1
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 12/29/22 at 23:18:43

there's also plenty of nos tubes in the world still in collections

Yes we are fortunate to have nos and good used vintage tubes available.
Many feel they're better than new current production tubes.
I would enjoy the hobby less without the availabity of old Mullard, Telefunken, RCA, and so on and I like to think my amps sound better with some of those 50-80 yr old tubes.

WE audio gear and their 300B tubes have a mystique associated with them. Some feel WE gear is the best ever produced and prices reflect that. I would like some WE gear/tubes so I could hear (or not) what I may be missing.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/31/22 at 13:45:58

I’ve recently received an Aric Audio Custom 300b amp and am really enjoying the new sound. I also have an el24 push pull amp. I didn’t think I would be a tube roller but have quickly discovered why people do. The 300b came with Gold Lions, Sylvania chrome top 6v6’s and Hytron 6sn7’s. Having read so much about Takatsuki’s and WE’s I knew it was just a matter of time before I purchased the higher end. I opted for the WE’s due to the 5 years warranty. I wish I had more experience to properly explain why the WE’s are “better”. Clarity and a very easy, natural tone stand out the most for me. The GL’s have more bass but the WE’s shine in all other areas.  
Since my initial purchase, I’ve purchased Linlai 6sn7, smooth but not as revealing as the Hytron. But, new production and a nice option. I just ordered some RCA’s From the 40’s, Tung Sol 40’s, Sylvania’s 50’s and Amperex 40’s. The Amperex in the ModWright dac has changed my impression of what tubes are capable of.
Sorry, long winded. I’m sure sure you will be pleased with the WE’s. They’re my go to for listening and the GL’s go in for rocking during weekend chores!
I’m sure plenty of Sarah owners will be purchasing the WE’s and people with better ears will explain why they are wonderful.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #7 - 12/31/22 at 16:26:15

Hi Earthbound,

Thanks for your review.  I am currently in a long Decware line for a 300b, and in the mean time reading/learning what I can.  The WE and Takatsukis 300b tubes have both received excellent reviews.  Some of the other tubes you referred to are new to me, so good to hear about your experience with them.  It sounds like you have a remarkable system.  Nice.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 12/31/22 at 16:42:13

Quote:
Posted by: Earthbound      Posted on: Today at 13:45:58

...I opted for the WE’s due to the 5 years warranty.

I'm curious if you (or anyone) has read the WE warranty. My understanding is that it is prorated, like a tire warranty. So if your tube blows up after 4 years and 11 months you get 1/60 of the cost of a tube, not a new tube. Which is of course better than nothing. But that is only based on other message board posts. Obviously, ideally this should never be an issue because a high end 300B ought to last more than 5 years regardless.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/31/22 at 16:44:59

I heard the same CAJames. I just emailed WE regarding receipt of my warranty cards. Once I hear back, I will ask and clarify that for sure and report back.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/31/22 at 16:49:01

Thanks Tony. It is a really sweet amp and I’m fortunate to stumble upon it during my long Decware wait. I saved 1 position and will still purchase a Decware product. Perhaps the csp3 headphone amp/pre amp is in my future bedroom system! I guess things happen and we can only make the best of any situation. Enjoy the New Year!  :)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print