Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hey, I'm baaack.. LOL (Read 1653 times)
HellionDarklord
Seasoned Member

Crazy box designer.

Hey, I'm baaack.. LOL
12/07/22 at 02:43:13

SO, I finally made enough scratches on a piece of graph paper so that Car Toys can build a prototype speaker. WIsh me luck, I'm trying to trade with them and I just want a Cadillac CTS -V and they can have the box design. I will also let them use the car for a display of the Hellion Thunder Sub.

LOL I named it the Hellion Thunder Sub. I said that they can change the name of it. I hope that they are able to build it and that it will have less distortion than other drivers.

SOrry, but I can't show you any pictures. Steve Deckert said that if I can make a better Subwoofer Enclosure based on the dual bandpass horn then to 'go right ahead' and so I am proceeding.

Thanks Steve Deckert!!! I hope you are doing well selling amplifiers.

Hellion Dark Lord (Timothy McCall)

Dunno what amp to buy
  IP Logged
HellionDarklord
Seasoned Member

Crazy box designer.

Re: Hey, I'm baaack.. LOL
Reply #1 - 12/26/22 at 22:53:34

I have a idea, but the guys over at talkbass shut down my thread saying I was ignoring the posts that said I need more knowledge. I was just wanting to fart around with this speaker box and turn it into a bass guitar cabinet with a Decware bass amplifier if such a thing could be made. I want to play, yes it's expensive, but I have the money and I can't buy a car while I'm living here so why not spend some money on something that might actually sound good?

I got ONE good piece of advice though from aged horse
    "Yeah, it's more than a little complicated. The more you know, the more complicated it becomes, especially with the constant use of the word "cheap".

Respect the minimum safe load of the amp, probably 4 or maybe 2 ohms.

Good luck, you will need it."     Thanks AgedHorse!

How much will it cost to make a three channel amplifire? I want a tube tuned for each of the four strings. Then I want a lead guitar cabinet and a 'head' with a tube for each of the six strings in a lead guitar. the red guitar is the six string lead and the 'sunset' (far right bass) is what I bought. They are cheap, but sound good enough. I'm just learning. If for some reason I can't learn to play them I will just sell the equipment. No harm no foul. CHeck them out...

photo website hosting

Dunno what amp to buy
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/27/22 at 14:17:39

“ I want a tube tuned for each of the four strings.”

First you'll have to find a bass that has its pickup split into four outputs. I have never seen one or even read about a four output bass so you have a challenge in front of you.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/27/22 at 17:13:51

Honestly, I recommend just getting a cheap conventional bass amp until you are sure you want to "be a bass-player."

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 12/27/22 at 17:20:27

EdwardT wrote on 12/27/22 at 14:17:39:
“ I want a tube tuned for each of the four strings.”

First you'll have to find a bass that has its pickup split into four outputs. I have never seen one or even read about a four output bass so you have a challenge in front of you.

Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead had a setup like that at one time. But even he didn't keep at it for long.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/27/22 at 18:18:02

"Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead had a setup like that at one time. But even he didn't keep at it for long."

Bartolini / Hi-A made pickups in the 70's that had individual pots for each pole piece . Not sure if they were regular production or custom built for Alembic and/or independent  custom guitar builders.      

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/27/22 at 21:40:24

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/27/22 at 22:55:33

Timothy,

Having each string separately amplified can definitely be done with a custom-wound pickup (talk to a pickup manufacturer like Arcane, Lollar, Lindy Fralin, etc. for that; I know they do some custom windings).  

However, please note that each poll piece on the pickup will still pick signal from the other strings as well (yet at a lesser degree).  This might cause some phase cancellations and fine-tuning the overall balance of the instrument would be quite challenging.  This is not only an issue from the electronics side of the story, but also strings can sound uneven at times even if they are fresh and from the same batch.

Some bass players end up using compressors for treating uneven signal levels from different strings on their basses. I have a feeling that you might make the issue even more complex by treating each string separately on the amp side.

Again, it can be done, but I personally do not see much marginal benefit in doing this.  Even Anthony Jackson, who is known to be very picky about his signal chain, has not gone through this route.

I agree with Lon; you might like to buy an already available amp/cabinet setup or a combo amp and start digging into the instrument first.  At a later stage, you will inevitably start thinking about improving your sound.  Currently, I have a few custom-made basses by Fodera and it took me more than 10 years to figure out what topology of instruments I prefer to play.  Same goes for amps and cabinets as well...

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged