Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 18:16:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bass performance Betsy with Lii Audio Fast 12 (Read 1967 times)
Steffen
Verified Member

Bass performance Betsy with Lii Audio Fast 12
10/25/22 at 15:45:03

Hi there,
Due to this great forum and of course Decware I stumbled over the Betsy Open Baffle design. Intrigued by the performance / price ratio I ordered a pair of Lii Audio Fast 12 drivers (the Fast 15 where not available at the time I ordered mine in Europe/Germany).

I hooked only the drivers up to my amp and the bass was quite low. But the 3dness was so great!!

As I will do the baffles in the second week of November here my question: Will the bass performance improve when adding them into the baffle?

As Steve wrote on the product page on the Betsy's that the bass will come from the coupling to the floor my second question: Will the adding of ISO Acoustic Gaia be counterproductive with respect to the bass performance?

PS: I will add them into a 1,2 inch thick hard wood baffle.

Best, Steffen Smiley

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Re: Bass performance Betsy with Lii Audio Fast 12
Reply #1 - 10/26/22 at 16:51:49

Hi Steffen,

Mounting the drivers in baffles will definitely increase the bass output.
The combination of the baffle surface and coupling to the floor will make a BIG difference.

As to the addition of the ISO Acoustic Gaias, I can't address that.
Some of my customers use cones, spikes, etc. under their baffles and are happy with the results.

Your mileage may vary ..... so please share your findings .....

Best wishes,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Steffen
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/26/22 at 19:31:13

Hi Randy,
great news! Thanks a lot. So now I just need some faith in my project :-D Anyhow - if you would deliver your Betsy's to Germany I would instantly bought one.

I will definitely keep you informed about the project and even more important what I think about the sound they will create.

And I love the fact that the community here is very open! Such a great thing! It's about music and even more important: About people sharing one hobby!

Best and enjoy your day!
Steffen

IP Logged
Steffen
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 02/18/23 at 09:45:56

Time to write about my experience with the Lii Audio 12 inch drivers in an open baffle shape similar to the Open Betsy design but a litte bit bigger + angled.

My setup on beforehand has been book shelf speakers on stands near the wall so that my kids cannot accidentally knock them down. But the problem is that the speakers have been very far away and so close to the wall that the sound wasn’t great.

So I thought about adding some Klipsch Heresys in the room as they cannot be kicked around so easily around (+ they are not so high and slightly tilted towards the listener) but the price just hold me back. Although I was quite intrigued to have high efficiency speaker in my home.

After stumbling over open baffle designs and full-range drivers the combination between easy-to-build, no-crossover to build and low to the floor + inexpensive I was all in!
By the way: Thanks to Darren and Duncan from thehifipodcast.net to pointing me to this great forum!

After building the baffle design back in December and letting the driver brought in I was really floored by the great soundstage and holographic experience. For the first time I get the idea about imaging and how a voice can be center-imaging in the room! So great. Something which would not been the case if I pulled the speakers not into the room. But the low profile design simply allow this + I do not have problems with my wife by doing so :-D

The only thing which was missing was low base. After adding a REL T/7x the design was complete! And I am so happy by the results.

I also decoupled the baffles by using 3 ISO Acoustic ISO-Pucks per speaker. With this it seems that sound is a little bit clearer.

So to sum up: I can’t recommend the Betsy Baffle design from caintuckaudio.com enough! There are this great! I would easily recommend those baffles to my buddies here in Germany but I guess shipping them to Europe would be a problem for Randy.

BTW: Randy: Do you offer a donation service for the things you doing here for the community?

Best,
Steffen

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #4 - 02/19/23 at 19:27:07

Nice job!

With kids around, you might consider driver bar guards. I used them on mine at one time. I kinda liked the look too.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #5 - 02/21/23 at 00:26:39

Hi Steffen,

Absolutely beautiful ..... nice work .....

No contributions needed ..... I am more than happy to share my experience and design with the DIY music loving community.

I have shipped speakers and baffles to Germany and a dozen other international locations, but the shipping cost and VAT make it very expensive ..... so I usually recommend the DIY option or having a local craftsman build the baffles.

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Steffen
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 02/25/23 at 08:22:50

Hi Randy,

thanks a lot!! I can imagine how shipping and VAT will affect the overall price oversea.

PS: One song which is so awesome in terms of image capabilities of the the Betsys is the following: "Short Of One Dimension" from the band Exit North from their album "Book of Romance and Dust". Incredible.

PSS: And for taking an awesome Jazz Journey with the Betsys: Shabaka & the Ancestors with their album "Wisdom of Elders".

Have a great weekend!
Best, Steffen

IP Logged
Steffen
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 02/25/23 at 08:25:52

Hi Gino,
I also thought about to protect the drivers but I will keep them as they are. My youngest son is now very carefully with them (he says watched me from inside as I am building these beauties in our garden) and may he is now so impressed that he is afraid to damage them :-D.
Best, Steffen

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #8 - 02/26/23 at 16:42:34

Hi Steffen,

Thanks for the heads up on the music .....
I'm always looking for new gems to add to my library .....

If you haven't already seen it, check out the Recommended Music Section of my website.

Best wishes and happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print