03/28/24 at 18:20:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FRX3? (Read 2619 times)
Doug
Seasoned Member

FRX3?
10/25/22 at 02:24:50

Just noticed that there is a new Decware FRX3 driver that sells for $1495 a pair.  It looks identical to the FRX2 drivers.  Anyone know what the differences are, if any, between the FRX3 and FRX2 drivers?

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: FRX3?
Reply #1 - 01/24/23 at 01:37:49

Didn't see this post until I just wandered around the site. So, I am as curious as you. FRX3? Kinda hard to tell how the specs might differ when I read about the two drivers. It will say one thing in one place only to say something close but not the same in another place. For instance, some photos of the driver FRX2 show a switch on the back of the speaker like mine had, but other photos do not have the switch, including the FRX3. Then when I look at the ZOB demo, the FRX driver shown there had no whizzer cone that I could see or even the obvious copper phase plug. In one photo the center of the speaker is not visible because of the mike in front of it. But the left speaker, though a bit out of focus is clear enough to see this.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/31/23 at 17:32:31

Steve answered this inquiry himself in another thread where I posed the same question.  The difference between FRX2 and FRX3……..FRX3 has Steve’s newest and best transformer.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 02/10/23 at 01:59:46

Oh Oh, he's not using silver windings is he?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/10/23 at 19:53:16

Per Steve himself, they are his own UFO transformers.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 02/10/23 at 22:57:40

That would definitely be a step up from what was used in the FRX2. The beginning of the is transformer thing all started when Steve was adjusting for the shout in a Fostex driver IIRC. I loved this solution that he came up with and bought not only set of Gizmos of my own, but a pair of FRX drivers. W/o getting into the rest of the story, I ended up with FRX2 drivers that had a switch on the back for two different sounds from the FRX2.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print