Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 06:02:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware House Sound Compared to CJ Sound (Read 1240 times)
DLM
Verified Member

Decware House Sound Compared to CJ Sound
08/05/22 at 19:37:03

Like anyone else on the Decware waitlist I'm getting anxious, excited and bored as I dream about what my new Decware amp will sound like while I wait for my order number to come up. I still love my fully restored 1976 Marantz 2325, but since I've been properly introduced to tube gear, I now know that's the sound I'm looking for.
Originally I had ordered a Torii Mk5 and have since changed my order to the new Sarah 300B.
Now I'm fairly new to tubes and have never actually listened to a Decware product, but have listened to various vintage and new ST-70's and some Conrad Johnson gear with the same type of speakers I'm using (Bob Crites CornScala) similar to new Klipsch Cornwall IV's.
Sorry if this question has already been asked, but I couldn't find anything in the forum....  
Has anyone owned both Decware and Conrad Johnson tube gear and can make a comparison of the two ?  How are they similar, how are they different and your listening preferences that suit one over the other ?

Thank you for helping me fill my time while I wait for my 300B.
Steve's latest update in the 300B thread kept me rivetted to my laptop.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Decware House Sound Compared to CJ Sound
Reply #1 - 08/05/22 at 21:58:31

I've a lot of early experience with ST-70 and a bit of experience about 30 years ago with an integrated Conrad Johnson amp.

The Decware sound is different from these. It is "faster" and lighter sounding, more clarity and dynamics. Less of that thicker, rich vintage tube sound and more liveliness and vivid presence. That's the best way to describe the presentation that I can think of. I believe you will very much enjoy the sound.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 08/05/22 at 22:55:10

I'll basically second what Lon said. The CJ sound I remember is warm and lush, the Decware house sound is fast and transparent with a drop of magic tube liquidity. If anything I'd say contemporary Audio Research tube gear is pointed in the direction of Decware, but not as magic.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 08/06/22 at 17:51:54

DLM- I would like to chime in agreement with Lon and CAJames. In the past I sold CJ, VTL, Motif, Aragon and owned quite a few tube pre-amps & amps. Decware is in a different class by it's self now days. CJ then was nice and pleasing to listen to, but never made me want to just stay up and listen until daybreak like our Decware gear does. After I did my research about reading everything I could from Steve and on the forum, I bought a Decware Kit (that model is no longer available) but it was the basic 2.3 watter. It proved the concept. I sold off all the gear I was using (ARC, NYAL, Krell) and bought our Rachael, CSP3, ZP3, ZMC-1, Switchbox, Omega speakers & sub and never looked back. Get your gear, get some good hours on it and I bet you can forget about comparisons. I don't even know why I still get the two mags anymore or read the on line mags, cause I can't see moving ANY of our Decware out of the rack. I was originally searching out 300B amps when I came across Decware, and now he's come full circle. Love it. I may order one at some point, never know what the future may bring. Keep us posted on your travels down this lovely rabbit hole and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print