03/28/24 at 16:55:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sharing a Fun Day (Read 1053 times)
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Sharing a Fun Day
08/05/22 at 17:34:35

Just thought I’d share with you the adventure I had yesterday. Some of you are probably aware that I’ve been dealing with some ear fatigue with a new pair of speakers. After 2+ months of trying different things, I decided to start looking for alternatives. My room is very active, tile floors, 7.5 foot ceiling, one wall with a large bay window and limited placement options due to a door. As a result, I need to have the speakers closer to a wall or I’m walking around them to enter the room. Apartment living!
After a bit of research and advice from members here, I looked at Omega, Decware and Audio Note. I spoke to Louis and had a nice conversion. He really is a great help and awesome guy. I read as much as I could regarding the HR Decware speakers and got some nice feedback from Brad and Lon. Finally, called the Audio Note dealer, located in Virginia and decided to make a trip. I bought my previous speakers without being able to listen to them and couldn’t listen to the Omega or HR’s. The 4.5 hour trip was my chance to at least listen to one of my options in person.
So off I go, with my 80 old mother who felt like taking the trip as well. Vu, the owner was kind enough to get there a bit early to accommodate our early arrival(want to leave the store by a certain time to avoid horrible bridge traffic).
First room consisted of a monitor speaker and a small bookshelf, both Audio Note. Was very surprised how nice the bookshelf/small monitor sounded. My mother actually asked, “why do I hear music behind me when there’s no speakers back there?”. Explained staging and the beauty of the perfect room set up. I asked if he realized if he knew I wasn’t interested in the smaller speakers. He knew and was just warming me up I guess.
Second room was just the speaker level I was looking at, the e/lx. We listened to everything from heavy metal to Barbara Streisand(that one was for mom). Vu added his own choices and left me to stream whatever I wanted. Made sure I hit a lot of those high notes that tend to bother my ears with my last speakers. The speakers are so clear, full, smooth(liquid) and especially even tone wise compared to my previous speakers. I liked the sound of my previous speakers, but these were much more my style. Balanced and a bit more old school mellow I suppose. And full sounding even at low volumes, which is considerably different from my last speaker. Check please!
Final room and the best part of the day. What I failed to remember during my self absorbed research process, is that Vu also refurbishes antique audio gear. This room was quite the treat. Vu just finished building a horn speaker, my first I ever listened to. Tweeter was from the late 1920’s, mid range/horn looking thing from 1932 and the 15” large woofer was from the 1950’s. Even with an 8 watt vintage amp at under 50 decibels these speakers filled the room beautifully. Lady Gaga and Barbara were really standing right in front of you. Just so captivating. Was really sort of overwhelming to hear something that room filling yet so effortless. I’m sure it doesn’t take vintage equipment to do this but was my first time experiencing this. Now I understand why people would spend hundreds of thousands on a treated room and system. Just great!
The day ended with my mom asking how much she should spend on new speakers for the living room. Another audiophile born!

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Re: Sharing a Fun Day
Reply #1 - 08/05/22 at 18:20:09

I figured I’d add a few pictures from the day. A horn speaker from an old church in Chicago and the build from vintage parts.  

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #2 - 08/05/22 at 19:57:00

Wonderful story, Direct Marketing is nice but it is so much better with a personal relationship. It's nice to support small businesses or else we won't have any choice but to buy sight unseen.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/05/22 at 23:07:55

Fun story! This shop is 15 minutes away from me and I had no idea they existed. Now I know what I'll be doing if I can offload the kids for an hour or two Smiley

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/05/22 at 23:53:28

Great idea morp! It was a ton of fun to listen and see the vintage equipment in various stages of aging and refurbishment. Deja Vu is in Vienna, Va and LA. Let us know if you pay a visit. 👍

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print