Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 00:17:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NYC OJAS Audiophile Event@The Lisson Gallery (Read 4018 times)
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

NYC OJAS Audiophile Event@The Lisson Gallery
06/29/22 at 17:14:15

NYC OJAS Audiophile Event @ the Lisson Gallery Museum designed by Devon Turnbull
opens tonight and runs for 5 weeks with incredibly diverse special events through out the exhibition
This is a Museum Installation as Sculpture with other exhibits throughout the Museum
open to the public and free of charge
New York, 29 June – 5 August 2022
504 West 24th Street
New York

Opening Times:
Tuesday – Saturday: 10:00am – 6:00pm
Closed this Saturday Sunday Monday 4th of July weekend

full info and interview with Devon by Steve Gutenberg Audiophiliac
https://youtu.be/o-aNgnBrPRE

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Re: NYC OJAS Audiophile Event@The Lisson Gallery
Reply #1 - 06/29/22 at 21:02:50

Thanks for the info and video. As a Long Islander, I will try to get in there for the jazz days.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/29/22 at 21:19:55

I would love to hear that system, but I live nowhere near NY.
I consider that point a blessing most of the time (country boy, here), but a visit would be fun.
I think he said the main dual mono setup was 8W/C?
Class D something on the Fostex with a few more watts. I don't remember seeing much mention of the crossover for the Fostex. Curious.

Looks like fun.

Have a great time, EB!!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/29/22 at 21:31:23

Have you guys seen Gutenberg's interview a few months ago with Turnbull, when he was still bringing together the Fostex driver?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=167Ep50fHRk

Not enough talk about the implementation (maybe because that's the part he sells?), but a lot of wind about why low frequencies are valid in reproduction.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #4 - 06/30/22 at 01:20:23

Same Old DD Yes I did see that first interview. I looked further at his webpage for his company. Everything was sold out, the T-shirts, the electronics. the speakers. All his design work was limited edition, custom, collectible even. For music design he started with some sort of high end speaker kit and it was almost like a freebie cause it was so cheap for what he was giving you. He talks about the community and building a culture. I didn't go tonight it's going to be a madhouse just open three hours they can only let 10 people at a time inside the listening room. I want to go in when nobody else is there. Fat Chance but hey.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/30/22 at 01:38:32

My dad always said that if you keep selling out too fast, then your prices are too low. He was right, but don't tell anyone else.
Grin

Hope you guys get a chance to enjoy the "Live Performance Sculpture."
Sounds like a good chance for a meet up if inclined.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #6 - 06/30/22 at 13:09:08

One of my friends was there last night. I got a report it was only open for two hours so they pushed you through pretty fast, it was a steady line.
It doesn't sound like my thing unless I can go there in the morning and come back a second or third time if the line is moving quick but I don't wanna stand there all day just to go inside for five minutes. I won't be able to go until next Tuesday.

I just looked at a DIY channel where a guy built the same size giant Fostex woofer but a different crossover and amplification. Lots of geek talk details.

https://youtu.be/zd-CKNeiDrk

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #7 - 06/30/22 at 21:36:35

Another interview from January before they conceived this museum exhibition
https://youtu.be/mZqOcd_WRBw

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #8 - 07/11/22 at 16:16:31

This weeks schedule these are first generation master tapes

In the “HiFi Listening Room Dream No.1”
at @lisson_gallery, July 9-15
🍃〰️〰️〰️〰️🔊
Book a time now. See link in bio. ( https://linktr.ee/devonojas )
One of the things that I love about collecting 1/4” “master tapes” is that it’s a person to person transaction. Provenance is everything. Sure, you can go on eBay and roll the dice, but look at the sellers feedback and you will surely see some bad reviews speculating that what you’re actually getting is just a CD recorded to expensive tape, or worse. The real acquisitions are made person to person, when you know you can trust that this tape is a second or third generation copy of an actual “master tape” directly from a studio, label, etc.
So when @donwas, the head of @bluenoterecords, offers to send you some master tape directly from the Blue Note archives, you tell all your friends to reserve a seat to have a listen.
If there nothing available please keep checking back on, as we will add more times as they book up.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #9 - 08/04/22 at 22:58:42

Tomorrow is the last day of the exhibition, I went today for the 4th Time and I spent the morning with Brian Eno doing one of his installations on the equipment designed by Devon Turnbull at the Lisson Gallery. It was a rewarding exhibition something I really don't think has been done in this manner since the 1950s. It was big, it was huge, it was 8 Watts. I was able to sneak around and take some of these pictures just look at the magnet on that horn.
First photo close up of WE300B 2022

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/04/22 at 23:39:07

To me, Joe, that horn driver looks like a fairly standard Altec design from the AlNiCo era. Probably dialed in some from Turnbull's efforts, just a guess.
Altec was still working on a "correctional" phase plug for those old drivers.
I bought twelve of them once from the same place and three of them had different phase plugs.
I suspect that GPA has solved all that.

Honestly, I'm more curious about that slotted super tweet between the main drivers and the multicellular horn.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #11 - 08/05/22 at 00:25:30

same old DD I put my ear right up against it because I really couldn't hear any sound field effects coming from it, it was all homogenous. Total wall of sound With all the room treatment on the sides and on the ceiling I still didn't get the field of sound I expected still very awesome sound. How low can you go lows without vibration or distortion. It is very very big and it's only 8 watts.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 08/05/22 at 01:04:24

Homogeny is a goal we all try for.

I would love to have been there to hear the system.
I just don't recognize that slot tweet from any others I've seen. Of course, we can't see it in a photo anyway.

I have the old JBL slots, but they are quite different looking from what he is using. It's not just the color.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #13 - 08/05/22 at 01:11:29

Forget the speakers, what about the other tubes? Looks like maybe a RCA 5R4GY rectifier (pretty nice) and a "coin base" 6SN7 (not my favorite). But would still have loved to hear it, esp. with a Brian Eno installation.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #14 - 08/05/22 at 07:58:11

The Phono Stage preamp had two cylinders sticking out that I thought were tubes but when I got close I saw they were transformers with the word Microphonic transformer and a schematic diagram printed on each with a green label. They seem to be from the 1950s. This isn't my picture.

I texted with Devon this morning this is what he wrote about the Phono Section  " I built that phono about 15 years ago but haven’t used it in almost as long this one is a collab with my friend Steve Berger who is kind of a guru of phono pre amps. The first stage a "CASCODE" using a 6N6 as the upper part, loading a 2sk170. Cap coupled to a passive EQ network using all very closely matched polystyrene caps and 1% resistors, DC coupled to a CCS loaded 6DJ8. The coupling caps are a proprietary "dual film" capacitor developed by "Jupiter Capacitors". Its input capacitance is EXTREMELY low. Its output impedance is only around 200 ohms. Its gain is 45 DBs."

Here is a good interview with Devon Talking about his influences from Japan and the audio scene overseas.

https://www.resistormag.com/features/devon-turnbull-old-school-hi-fi-influencer/...

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #15 - 08/05/22 at 17:37:47

Yesterday's Phonograph Recording Turntable By Brian Eno
Used to Playback Music for Installations
🟥🟣🟧🔵🟨🟢🟩🟡🟦🟠🟪🔴
The remaining last day of the HiFi Listening Room Dream No.1 at @lisson_gallery will prominently feature a special limited edition turntable by @brianeno, exclusively accompanied by Eno’s Music For Installations.
🔊🟥
Brian Eno’s ‘Turntable’ seamlessly phases through combinations of seductive self- generated ‘colourscapes’ using a series of interwoven LED lights. By extending temporal boundaries with a work that seemingly has no beginning or end, no finality, Eno “encourages people to stay in one place for a while”. “If a painting is hanging on a wall we don’t feel that we’re missing something by not paying attention to it. Yet with music and video, we still have the expectation of some kind of drama. My music and videos do change, but they change slowly. And they change in such a way that it doesn’t matter if you miss a bit”.
🔊🔴
Music For Installations
"If you think of music as a moving, changing form, and painting as a still form, what I’m trying to do is make very still music and paintings that move. I’m trying to find in both of those forms, the space in between the traditional concept of music and the traditional concept of painting."
Brian Eno

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 08/08/22 at 14:17:47

https://youtu.be/Ko0iXScg2B4

Funny when Devon said   “Grumpy old audio guy”.   

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #17 - 08/08/22 at 14:26:23

Quote:
https://youtu.be/Ko0iXSc

Funny when Devon said   “Grumpy old audio guy”.[/edit]

TRY this one  https://youtu.be/Ko0iXScg2B4

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print