Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 01:11:03 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What live music have you seen lately? (Read 8497 times)
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Re: What live music have you seen lately?
Reply #50 - 07/02/23 at 00:05:53

Andrew77, that sounds like a wonderful day well spent!

We have a Jazz day coming up here soon, but it is at the Indiana State Fair. The venue puts me off.

The BIG draw for me is it is one of Buddy Guy's stops on his farewell tour. He is retiring from live performance and his tour included a place sort of near me.

The deterrent is that the "fair" is expecting over 218,000 (or was it 283,000 - either way, too much) people over eighteen days and this concert is set to happen toward the climax of activities.
I've been there a few times many years ago, both working sound equipment and just putting around, but the attendance has doubled from those old days.

I would love to see Buddy Guy, again!!  But, as I mentioned the venue puts me off quite sharply. My flipped coin is still in the air at this point in time.

Tonight, in about an hour, I am heading over to the Commons Area close by where there is a concert, more approachable for me.

I am going to see Mumbles, which is a local old style band who play classic '40s, '50s and '60s jazz with about twelve to twenty or more members.
Showing tonight with the two best male and female crooners in the area heading up the vocals and front show.

I probably won't have to fight for a seat. I've only heard them once btu today I'll get to sit and listen.

There is nothing like live music!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 07/02/23 at 16:31:28

Mumbles was a really good show last night. I enjoyed it immensely!
The name seems odd at first, but taking into account that half their audience can not hear above 8K, it makes a little more sense for a band name of this old dance jazz genre.

We sat for the very end, early end with elders in mind, worried about the approaching rain the whole time, but I had my pancho and hat, Texas boy style. Daughter was similarly geared. Like my mama showed me. Ah ain't no dummy!

The front folks, one guy, one gal had a few highlights, but there was a lot of just plain old intrumental jazz moments and the front liners walked around flirting with the crowd and hitting a maracca or a tamborine with a drumstick.
It was wonderful show.

Just as the show ended the state baseball finals finished as well and a fireworks show began about three miles away. We sat for some of that, too, but it just seemed to go on forever and I made it back to the car with fireworks blasting and an occassional lightning burst hitting close enough to the fireworks to light up the smoke.
It was beautiful!

It was just my daughter and I (now realize, she prefers Skillet or hard rock, but time with Dad seems to be more important to her now than when she was in high school and we attended so many hard rock concerts. Me being her best date) and we had a great time!!
Got home and the fireworks were still going. We sat and watched until the rainstorm hit.

Turned out to be a night I will always fondly remember.

(sorry for so many split infinitives)
Grin

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #52 - 07/22/23 at 13:56:18

Drove out to Burgettstown yesterday with Cindy & saw Phish. First time since the pandemic. Holy Toledo, I barely survived. Going again tonight.

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 07/22/23 at 16:14:42

I haven’t been to Star Lake or whatever they call it now for probably 10 yrs. I am planning on going to Govt Mule at Stage AE on Tuesday.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 08/14/23 at 05:26:22

Saw Yonder Mountain/Railroad Earth/Leftover Salmon tonight. Not my scene but a good reminder about what live music is for…  the soul.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 08/14/23 at 12:57:36

Lots of great music popping up here!

Keep it up guys. As Manny told us, Live Music is for the soul.

We saw a no-name band (called Slouch) playing a mix of '90s alternative to current pop sounds last week. Even did some country.

It was OK, decent tight band full of old guys.

But stopping to think about it, The Offspring are in their fifties these days, so... it fits.
Grin

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #56 - 10/01/23 at 23:37:58

Opening series for the PSO, you can tell because they play the anthem. Started out with “Kauyumari”(Blue Deer) composed by Gabriela Ortiz in 2021. Pretty cool. Next up Bob Schumann’s Piano ditty in A minor with Hélène Grimaud rocking out the Steinway. Finally Rachmaninoff’s Symphony #2 in E minor was a great closer. Next week sounds good, John Adams, this time a fiddle concerto by Bob Schumann, then Beethoven #7

IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #57 - 10/20/23 at 01:06:41

Rod y Gab!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #58 - 11/05/23 at 20:15:33

I can hear him saying, “do you like cowboy songs? Well, do ya, punk??? Grin

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #59 - 11/19/23 at 10:02:16

My wife & I made the trip down to Heinz Hall the other day to see the Pgh. debut of Deutsche Grammophone recording artist Bomsori. One name like Cher & Madonna, I don’t know, things are probably different in South Korea. She was sawing on the “Guarnerius del Gesú violin (ex-Moller, Cremona, 1725) on extended loan through the generous efforts of the Samsung Foundation of Culture of Korea & the Stradivari Society of Chicago.” My friend Dr. Marcia Lang commented that her performance of the Tchaikovsky fiddle concerto made her cry, one of best interpretations she ever heard. Anyway something happened that I’ve never seen handled before in this manner. I’ve seen a featured artists break a string before, generally they finish the movement, exiting the stage to change the string (sometimes with audible cussing) return & pick up with the next movement. No broken string but during the first movement she stops to retune! Then guest conductor James Gaffigan starts the show back up at measure 106. Holy Toledo, it was like a rehearsal. Overall it was a excellent show though, you just don’t see that everyday.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 11/30/23 at 18:50:45

IMG_4245.jpeg
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 12/14/23 at 22:35:40

I went to Andrew Bird’s annual Gezelligheid show in Chicago this week, joined by Julian Lage and Margaret Glaspy.  The acoustics in the fourth Presbyterian Church on Michigan Ave. were superb, a fantastic backdrop for talented musicians. The sound system wasn’t overly loud as they sometimes can be, only augmenting the mostly acoustic performance. Highly recommended if you ever get the chance.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #62 - 12/15/23 at 01:31:12

Gilf…I love Andrew Bird.  I was supposed to see him in Brooklyn last year but my I had a conflict.  Did he use his spinning horn?  I watched his work at the Guggenheim and I was impressed.  He’s so talented and a great performer.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 12/15/23 at 02:22:10

Indeed, Dom! Not one, but two spinning horns, and two large horns one on each side of the stage.
I was most blown away by Julian Lage. I hadn’t heard of him before. His ability to play jazz, gypsy, finger style, classical music, and general chord strumming on an acoustic guitar really caught me off guard. One of the highlights of the evening was a suite of Vince Guaraldi songs played by Bird, Lage, and Alan Hampton on standup.

IMG_8235.jpeg
  IP Logged
travel250
Verified Member

Reply #64 - 01/12/24 at 15:50:48

Kaleo
Evolution (Eric Clapton Tribute)
Trans Siberian Orchestra (TSO)
Andrea Bocelli (upcoming)

Decware: SE34I.5 (2) mono | CSP325 w/ZAFP | DNA2
Thorens TD124 > SME 3009 Improved > Shure V15 Type III
TEAC A2300S r2r
Cambridge DUO
Yamaha WXC-50
Timbernation 3 shelf Audio Table
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 02/11/24 at 15:40:51

A high resolution greatest hits sacd. Absolutely gorgeous sounding

s-l400-3275144261.jpg
  IP Logged
Rap

Reply #66 - 02/14/24 at 19:59:30

Vikingur plays Goldberg variations, it's about to start....

"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit..."
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 03/10/24 at 20:30:31

Just returned from a week in the Caribbean on the 16th Annual Cayamo Music Cruise. The venue on the Norwegian Pearl ship provided an opportunity to meet and hear over 25 bands - Americana, R&B, folk and lots of great singer songwriters.

The cruise was headlines by Buddy Miller (in port performance), Lyle Lovett, The Mavericks, Shawn Colvin, and many more. The modern blue grass band Mipso, from Chapel Hill was my personal favorite. A wonderful way to experience a lot of great live music and everyone was so friendly.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Estes
Verified Member

Reply #68 - 03/17/24 at 14:19:17

Saw Glen Hansard last night at a small theatre just north of Manhattan. Maybe 800 seats in the place. Amazing performance. There is such soul and passion in his music. Highly recommend seeing him if he is in your area.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print