Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 15:29:12 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What live music have you seen lately? (Read 7478 times)
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

What live music have you seen lately?
08/04/22 at 18:13:09

I did a thread title search and found nothing related to this. Correct me if I missed everything before.

I hope this thread can grow, because I know we have not given up on live music yet, despite COVID and all else going on.

I went to the Jazz Kitchen  (https://www.thejazzkitchen.com/)  about four months ago; I still had the massive, almost to the shoulder cast on and had not yet graduated to the partial arm, mainly wrist cast.
It was the first time in about two years to be out like that. I enjoyed it immensely!
No name local group of college kids (they were amazing) performed that night.

Last night, on a whim, my daughter and I attended a Carlos Santana  concert at the local outdoor music venue.
I heard on the news blips while looking for weather info that Santana would be here tonight.
My daughter said, "I'll bet there are no tickets available."

I took that as a GO, find out! I went online and found lawn tickets still available for less than $40 and many more still available. I asked if she wanted to go. She said, "YEAH!!"  We made it happen. I asked her to get a picnic ready and I'll do the rest.

I prefer the lawn, farther away, not as crowded usually, but rain was expected after midnight so we took some ponchos. Didn't need them. Rain held off until about ten minutes after we returned home. It was meant to be!!
The venue allows your own chairs and coolers with water, snacks which they inspect to make sure you don't bring in your own booze. Easy to fool really, many do. Empty out a 2 Litre, fill it full of vodka or silver tequila and you're good for the night.
Grin
I don't do that. We took water, crackers, cheese, cold cuts, veggies, two lawn lounges and a blanket.

It was the first concert we had been to since Heart and Jason Bonham played mostly Heart all night, but finished with an hour long Led Zeppelin set.
Nancy Wilson has range that Plant could only dream of! She can really kick out some Zep!
The whole night was awesome.

Last night it was a Supernatural concert, mostly his mellow jazzy creations with a lot of the old thrown in for "me" and damn good measure. It was a great night of live music!

He's old and is not as active on stage as I have seen in the past, but his touch is still there and the band was ON IT!!  Had about a 30 piece ensemble if you include the singers and horns that popped in from time to time.

I want to do this again, soon!

Who else is brave enough to attend a LIVE concert these days?

Cool

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: What live music have you seen lately?
Reply #1 - 08/06/22 at 10:09:33

Had some great tasty food at the Nobel Smoke Barbecue yesterday evening. Walked into this as we were leaving.

https://youtu.be/FyyCJN3aQ5M

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
RonP
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 08/06/22 at 14:23:48

I saw both Alan Parsons and The Who here in Austin this year.

We have tickets to see Roger Waters this fall.

Nottingham Ace Spacedeck TT w/Heavy Kit + AudioMods S6 + SoundSmith Paua mk II • Modwright PH9.0XT • Cambridge CXNv2 (ModWright) & CXC • Modwright LS99 • Decware TORII MK5 • PI Audio UberBUSS • TriodeWireLabs Power Cables • Clayton Shaw Caladans (Ordered)
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 08/06/22 at 17:24:56

Nice thread!

Last concert I went to was the Philadelphia Orchestra in March, and it was fantastic. Just bought tickets to see the Berlin Philharmonic in Ann Arbor in November.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #4 - 08/06/22 at 17:47:42

Last March, Chris Botti in SF.  He introduced Veronica Swift, a young female singer that knocked my socks off.

Next month, Melody Gardot in Oakland, CA.  

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #5 - 08/06/22 at 18:28:49

This is one of my Bicycle Joe LoFi Sound and Vision Homie Videos

https://youtu.be/UC6TsZdYpZQ HD1080
I capture a lot of shows all over the city of independent artists, poets and musicians

This was the last LIVE show that I attended at the Cutting Room on July 1
Murderers Row is a group of top session people  that go by the name of Murderers Row. Every year they put on a different show. Normally they are guns for hire.
This year it was The 1967 Show
Let me know what you think of their version of "Manic Depression"

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/06/22 at 19:42:08

Great responses, folks!

Honestly, I think we all need more. Keep it coming.

I started this thread partly to  "brag"  about just up and doing one with no week of prep, just go have fun one night, off the cuff.
The totally impromptu thing just has not been possible in a long time for us and for many more, I'm sure.
Sometimes that's how it goes, though. You hear about a concert nearby and you just get there, any way you can.
Nothing kept us from our fun that night!

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I were doing some banking and were there hours after the bank closed. On the way home we drove by a close park with a manmade amphitheater where they have summer concerts.

I had to stop!  My wife can not handle "LOUD"  and objects to crowds rather dramatically, so I couldn't stay.
But there was a band called Britbeat doing a night of Beatles music. Left after about twenty minutes, but getting home, where the park is walking distance for the healthy, we could still hear the band enough to enjoy the music on our back patio.

Not quite attending, but a nice evening still and my wife was happy.

My point is that there is live music going on all around us.
Choose to go if you can!

Thanks to all who share experiences.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/06/22 at 20:53:44

Tony, I love Melody Gardot! I'm sure I have everything she has released.

I wish she would release more music.

Enjoy the show.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #8 - 08/06/22 at 22:03:12

SODD - Good thread going here. As things started to get a little more norm, the first concert I went to see was a friend named Rober Berry and his project 3.2. Robert has played with a multitude of people Keith Emerson/Carl Palmer in 3, Ambroisa, Steve Howe, Geoff Downes and this show was kind of a shot of all things. Next up was Steve Hackett in May doing some solo material and then all of the last Genesis album he was on called Seconds Out. Utterly magical evening. Next up in September in SF will be Porcupine Tree, it been 12 years since Steve Wilson put them on hiatus so it think it's going to be pretty special. Who knows after that? Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #9 - 08/06/22 at 23:59:16

Thanks, DD.  

You are probably aware of her history, overcoming a severe accident and a year in the hospital.  Music therapy became her path to recovery.  Pretty remarkable history even before you hear that fantastic voice.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/07/22 at 03:19:40

Tony wrote on 08/06/22 at 23:59:16:
Thanks, DD.  

You are probably aware of her history, overcoming a severe accident and a year in the hospital.  Music therapy became her path to recovery.  Pretty remarkable history even before you hear that fantastic voice.  

Yes, I am aware.
One thing I always do is to find all I can on an artist I am interested in pursuing.
Her story is uplifting. She is truly a treasure for us all.

I would also like to see Botti at some point. Not sure I have all of his releases, but fairly close.
He plays the kind of jazz my wife likes, so inroads.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/07/22 at 03:32:17

Chris, it has been a while since Porcupine Tree did anything I heard about.
No wonder.
I'll bet the reunion will be better than ever.

Happy listening, indeed.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 08/07/22 at 03:39:31

Hey, Joe, I always love to hear a band blasting some Hendrix.

How did you know?
Grin

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/07/22 at 04:33:18

Pokey LaFarge at Knuckleheads in Kansas City Oct. 2021.  

The Mavericks at Knuckleheads May 2022.

Unfortunately, all of Kansas City’s classical music venues have excluded the unvaxed and the unmasked from attending concerts the past couple of years.  My wife and I have missed many concerts due to our refusal to bow to the communist leaning politicians in Kansas City.

There are many concerts we would like to attend this upcoming concert season, including the incomparable Bach Collegium Japan, but I have a bad feeling about the political storms that are again building around Covid. Fortunately, several of our casual music venues have discovered ways to sidestep our local politicians’ health mandates, so we will definitely continue to attend blues/folk/swing/jazz/eclectic pop music events and keep our fingers crossed for classical music.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #14 - 08/07/22 at 13:04:25

Well it truly was the last show I went to live and I did get symptoms after it even though it was a very large room. The best dive bar with a back room for music is The Parkside on Houston and Attorney Street, there is no park anywhere near it. It's kind of elbow to elbow some good friends are playing soon, the have good sound. I might go to that. Their name is Jinx & Dino.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 09/25/22 at 05:15:59

Whole family attended the final concert of the year at a nearby park with a manmade amphitheater.

Band was the Trippin Billies and they are considered to be a local Dave Matthews Tribute style band.
Might not be something I would jump up for, but they let me off the hook and played a lot of '60s and '70s rock during the night.
It wasn't bad at all until they pushed the sound system beyond what it could handle comfortably.

Kind of a mistake because that set cleared the place out. Went from sounding OK to a bit offensive. We left about that time. Broken sound is not my thing.

We had a good time, though. And my wife was there. I gave her my shooting range hearing protectors in case she needed them. She did. My son kept the other pair. My daughter and I got by with foam ear plugs

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 10/02/22 at 13:24:58

Drove down to the Rouff Music Center last night to enjoy a concert with an old friend.
It was a metal concert and I got to see The Hu! Megadeth and Five Finger Death Punch were the headliners, but I was more interested in The Hu opening act. If you have not heard of them, Google. They're a different take! Mongolian throat singers using traditional Mongolian intrumentation and a nod to the West.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xZUr0BEfE
(skip past the attempt at comedy)

I thought at first that he and I were the oldest old "effers" there while we were walking in the security line. I remembered to clear my pockets and keychains of the various blades I carry this time!! I did not have to give any up to security.
Smiley
We were not the oldest farts there, though. Some of those diehard Megadeth fans are as old as Megadeth themselves!

A little amusing, a group of young girls would scan us head to toe and then do a huddle giggle after looking us over.
I was basically dressed like everyone else, hoody and jeans, except that we don't wear odd colored Mohawks and I don't do tats.

I made it in with my bass jaw harp, because it is a musical instrument. I wanted to give it to one of them from The Hu. They use a western jaw harp in their music.
I finally managed to talk my way near the sound guy and told him if I could give this to the band, we would both be pleased. I demonstrated it to the sound guy.
His eyes bugged out and he eventually found someone with the band and we had a translator go-between, but as far as I can tell, I managed to get that thing into the hands of someone who can use it, finally.

If you do not know what a bass jaw hart is, imagine one of those little hillbilly twangers you hold next to your teeth and go boing boing.
Now try to imagine one over a foot long that "BOINGS" at about 200 Hz to near 1kHz and gives you a massive headache if you play it much.
You don't hold it next to your teeth, you can't, but there are platforms built in where you are supposed to bite down on it to make the sound. Hence a headache if you play it for long. Try to envision biting down on a mechanism vibrating at 200Hz designed to use your own fluid filled cranium as a resonant chamber.
I can't do it much before I have troubles. But the sound it makes is completely unique. Mine was a Hohner, so decent brand. But, NO.

I have been wanting to find it a home since I rediscovered it during our rehoming move this year.

It seems as if I got it into the hands of the Mongolian band's stage manager.
Someone, who ever ends up with it, will Love it. And I am finally free of a weird musical noise maker I never should have had.
Grin

Anyway, a great metal concert, last night! We had a blast and stayed to the bitter end. They all came back out for a finale with about twenty five people on stage.
Sound was OK at first, all Klipsch Pro stuff in that venue. A little over compressed toward the end with Five Finger trying to be the loudest.
I wore my ear plugs and my shooting ear protectors.
I had a great time.
My buddy is already headed back to Ohio.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 10/02/22 at 13:58:40

Nice story DD. My Saturday plans were delayed until the 23rd because of Ian. We were headed to Charlotte NC to see Annie with the girls. My daughter said the yard needed cleaned of small branches fallen by the wind. There was a couple tornados east of her. I feel for those folks in Florida and along the east coast. And, we rented a condo this December for a couple of weeks in North Myrtle Beach. Hopefully the cleanup in that area will be done by then! Climate change?!? Or, cyclical!?!  

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 11/12/22 at 11:06:11

Went to see the Guess Who this past Thursday evening at the Palace Theater in Greensburg PA. D Sharp is a good showman and lead singer but did not come across clear. Could have been the sound reinforcement. The show started out in a powerful manner but the background vocals came out a bit trimmed.

Our seats were center main floor just under the beginning of the balcony. This may have contributed to weak intelligibility along with old ears. My wife thought that the volume was a bit loud and did not catch a lot of the lyrics.

That nitpicking aside it was an awesome show! The band had the whole place including me on our feet clapping and singing along with their many popular songs back in the 60s and 70s. Well worth the price of admission. Fantastic clear bass from Sarzo! Muti talented Shaw was so energetic with showmanship playing all his instruments in stellar style. Lead guitar player Staertow came across well and played some awe inspiring solos as well as dualing with "D" in classic RocknRoll fashion. And finally the original member of The Guess Who, Peterson, with drumming that was exquisite beyound the finer detail.

A good night. Go see them if you get a chance. Highly recommended for the seniors out there. It'll put some kick in your butt Smiley

John

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 11/12/22 at 23:00:10

Lost Hollow Band last month at a private party for a friend's 50th wedding anniversary. https://losthollowband.com/
Kinda folky with an Americana flavor and superb additional musicians and singers from the Shoals and Nashville. Johnny Garcia's understated guitar work was very tasty and had really wonderful tone.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 11/13/22 at 01:10:52

JB, Guess Who would be an awesome concert to attend. Congrats!

What a great old time band. I think it is amazing that they are still touring.
I'd be standing on my hind legs and "not singing" but making noise as well.

... and yes, I will always nitpick everything. Comes with the way we are.

Sounds like it was a great night!
Smiley

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 11/13/22 at 01:19:57

EdT, I had not heard of the Lost Hollow Band, but found some blurbs from the link you dropped here.

That is a kind of music that I tend to seek these days, a kind of free type.
I will be on the watch for more!

When you mentioned Johnny Garcia, are you talking about the guy in the pic below, played with Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood and so many others?

I have a great admiration for Johnny and not just his playing either. He is an awesome individual. We grew up a few towns apart and I worked with him a few times in the old days.

Is this him?
(photo published from an interview he did)

Juanio_Garcia.jpg

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 11/13/22 at 01:48:35

Yes, that Johnny Garcia and a lovely Matchless amp that sounded amazing.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 11/13/22 at 02:01:18

He has always had an amazing sound! And a touch that most could only barely figure out after some toil. I've heard him do violin parts on his Strat, for instance, and you wondered who was playing the fiddle up there.
Cool
He was one of the first to switch from Marshall to Boogie, back when we were all doing hard rock.

He grew up in Weslaco and I grew up in Alamo, both in south Texas, Hidalgo county, near the border of Mexico.

He is one of my treasured friends from the way back old days.
It thrills me to see the success that has finally come his way!

Guessing your Lost Hollow concert/party was some kind of wonderful.
Kind of jealous. I would love to see him.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 11/13/22 at 10:48:03

We did go see Annie last month. To my surprise there was a six piece orchestra in the pits. Our seat was stage right about half way back on the floor. The instruments took a backstage to the performance of these actors. It was a heartwarming show that surfaced many feelings for all! From laughter to sorrow all struck uncontrollably.

If your ever in Charlotte NC and have the time,  go see a show at the Children's Theater of Charlotte. I seen two and left in a upbeat mood after both. We have plans of seeing another  in two weeks. 👏

John

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #25 - 11/21/22 at 17:14:19

I just got home from two Berlin Philharmonic concerts in Ann Arbor. Its funny that I've posted several times about how my home system sounds better than a lot of live music and it takes a lot for me to turn it off and take a chance on the real world. Well, this weekend reminded me just what and overwhelming experience live music done well in a great hall can be. I'm still in awe of what I heard: Korngold Symphony, Mozart Violin Concerto and Mahler 7.

IP Logged
Andrew77
Verified Member

Music heals the soul

Reply #26 - 12/18/22 at 23:53:50

Stacey Kent - August 28th in Saratoga Springs, NY.  Wonderful little venue, Cafe Lena.  
WONDERFUL!!!!!  I was just in awe the entire time.  :) Smiley

The Zen TORII MK4 // WiiM Pro Plus /w Tidal // Klipsch RP-600M
WWW   IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 12/19/22 at 00:00:13

Albert Cummings and his band @ the Arden Guild Hall. Always a great show. The man can play that guitar. Trombone Shorty on March 3rd, 2nd row center seats - not that we'll be doing much sitting.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #28 - 02/27/23 at 03:06:16

This afternoon we heard Gil Shaham & the PSO preform the Beethoven fiddle concerto. Wow.

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Klipsch Forte IV
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>JBL N26
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601 series I
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #29 - 03/14/23 at 00:52:37

Yesterday afternoon it was Emanuel Ax, that guy works magic. I’m lucky enough to have good seats through perseverance over the years because shows like these will be history soon enough. Again that’s with the PSO.

Shanling STP10>JBL N26
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #30 - 03/14/23 at 03:37:46

PSO = Pittsburgh, yes?

They certainly sound spectacular on records these days. I imagine live it is a great experience. I remember (way) back in the day when Andre Previn was music director watching their concerts on PBS.

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #31 - 03/14/23 at 04:52:36

What a hoot, I would call him the “Penguin”, it’s a Pgh.- Batman thing. I’m from Venice Ca. But ended up near the ‘burg since adolescence. Remember Lorin Maazel, back in ‘75 I was involved in a pre-bicentennial warm up tour down the Ohio to St. Louis by barge. Played viola with the PYSO & while she had her eye on me at all times, Lorin’s mum charged me with keeping some younglings safe. This tour took over a month, mostly college students in the PYSO but I was between 11th & 12th grade & there were younger kids involved.(my fiddle teacher’s daughters) His dad, Lincoln did a shtick as Ben Franklin on this gig. This was during the Steinberg era. Back when Lorin was the conductor I would run into his mom & dad, Lincoln remembered me but I think Marion was either all memoried out or was still holding a grudge. Those were the days!! Anyway I sit 2nd row center & yes it can get pretty good. I ended up a rocker but I think more mimic than musician.

Shanling STP10>JBL N26
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #32 - 03/14/23 at 17:07:29

Small world. I grew up LA-ish myself, then moved up the 101 a piece beyond Santa Barbara. FWIW I played in youth orchestra (probably with more enthusiasm than actual ability) with Paul Neubauer, who has been a pretty big deal in the viola biz since the 80's.

IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 03/14/23 at 20:25:14

Wycliff Gordon and Gregory Porter in Charleston, SC last month. Both excellent!

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 03/19/23 at 18:43:30

Wish we'd have seen this one. Fans since just kids . Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush~  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htbJoSXfT68

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #35 - 04/03/23 at 00:01:10

Just saw some cat named Francesco Piemontesi play Brahms #1 in Dm with the PSO. Then Rachmaninov’s Symphonic Dances Opus 45. Post concert if you wanted to hang a string quartet from the O played some Mendelssohn.
Cool beans.

Shanling STP10>JBL N26
  IP Logged
jameslayton
Verified Member

Reply #36 - 05/05/23 at 08:55:07

I found this post and comments to be interesting. I want to read more of your shares like this in the future.

IP Logged
pamelawert
Verified Member

Reply #37 - 05/15/23 at 11:06:28

Smileynice thread

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 05/15/23 at 14:02:10

Welcome to both of you newcomers!

This thread seems to burn hot and then fizzled down, but it was meant as a sharing place for Live music related items that don't really fit anywhere else.

I would posit that a thread like this only works if more of us share our adventures.
I've neglected it as well.

Back in February I attended some Black History Month street walk through concerts that were nice to see and hear. Some of the Soul and Blues was awesome, but I get bogged down with Hip Hop styles quickly.
I can appreciate for a while but not my taste.

One group of Aboriginal Australians had a very amazing didgeridoo band that sounded like nothing I had ever heard before. Some shallow, loose strung, deep sounding drums and some vocal chant blessings supporting the didgeridoo chorus made for an interesting show!
And their native dress costuming was astounding.

I would buy their CDs if they had offered any!

Post your experiences when you have time.
Smiley

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 06/06/23 at 14:38:28

Walked into this last Saturday after a good southern barbecue in Mooresville NC. The band "Dial Up Radio" was very tight and played a variety of popular 70 nd 80s rock very well.

https://youtu.be/VRGcPsVDgp4

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 06/06/23 at 15:45:08

Nice one JBz!
Nothing better than old rock re-done with a modern gear and a touch of current flair.

I should also report that I dropped by a fish fry last week end. It was a Memorial Day celebration, the day after the Big Race nearby.
I was not planning to attend the local get together, but I heard a live band. I had to stop for a moment.

Indiana is mostly land locked, unless you consider a toenail width of Lake Michigan to count for anything. In addition, I grew up on the Gulf Of Mexico, so a fish fry is an iffy prospect to me living here in Indiana.    

BUT, we have catfish and lots of them, enough to put up a sign inviting all to come for the fish fry!

They had a band similar to what you described called Mirrors. Oddly, I worked with a band in the '80s called Mirrors, but these downtown here were young guys.
They did all the hits from the late '70s and early '80s with an occasional nod toward Led Zeppelin, Cream and Aerosmith.

The Mirrors band I worked with so long ago were basically a Beatles, Jefferson Airplane and Rolling stones "mirror" band and pretty good at it.

Sounds like you had a great time. I know I did.
I ended up calling home to see where the rest were and I sat there enjoying the band for a while, then came home with four very generous catfish, beans and fries plates.

I just have to stop if a band is playing.
Grin

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #41 - 06/06/23 at 19:53:58

So ironic that this post came up.  I’m heading into NYC to go and see John Mellencamp at the Beacon Theater.  We’ve got great seats ….orchestra row 7, stage right.   He’s one of my all time favorite musicians since I was a kid and I’ve seen him plenty of times.  I still have the original American Fool album on vinyl from when I was 18.    I’ll post my experience tomorrow.  

ROCK ON!!

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 06/06/23 at 21:54:33

I wish you a safe trip and a lot of fun at the venue.

Mellencamp is a Hoosier born favorite around here.
Everyone loves him.

Do post some impressions of the show.

He's kind of a top act, or used to be. I would expect a great show!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #43 - 06/08/23 at 07:26:49

As always Mellencamp’s performance was great.  He started out the show with a 20 minute video clip of history, showing clips of a young Marlin Brando, James Dean, and  Liza Minelli.  He played some songs off the new album, and then started to belt out his classics.  He can still hit all the notes, but his voice is a bit raspier than it used to be.   Must have been from the smokes he was lighting up while onstage.  

He used a new bass player, but his long time friend and guitar player for the past 50 was still cranking out the guitar licks like nobody’s business.  

As always…his label as the Storyteller was true to form.  He told a few heartwarming stories and then gave his usual political rave about our country and how we need to keep fighting for what we believe in.

His followers are dedicated and like myself have seen him numerous times.  I was tempted to buy the Scarecrow album on vinyl at the venue….but the Japanese first pressing I have home is the best of the best, so buying the one at the venue would be pointless.  As always he is great entertainer and likes to engage the crowd.   Here are a few photos from the event….

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 06/08/23 at 13:25:13

Great looking concert Dom. Hope you had a blast. There is really nothing like live music.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #45 - 06/08/23 at 13:26:19

Way back in 1977 my girlfriend attended conservatory at Bloomington Indiana. A guy with an acoustic guitar would be at a local coffee shop almost everyday playing with his tip jar. I don’t know if he was a student having anything to do with music at the college, but I bet he became more well known musically than anybody else around there for a long time. He was a poor boy named John Mellencamp.

Shanling STP10>JBL N26
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #46 - 06/08/23 at 16:24:45

Thanks Roger…yes it was a great concert!  We had a great time!  

Black Bess….very cool.  I’ve got one for you too…I attended a 4 day car club event in Indy years ago.   We were all over…. Bloomington, Gary, and Story Indiana.  [There’s a local luncheon in Story that had the best ham hock and cheddar cheese sandwich with smoked butter I’ve ever had.  We listened to a Johnny Cash impersonator outside and had a blast.]  We took a drive  on Highway 11 …..all significant places in Mellencamp’s life.  
I come to find out that one of my friends who lives there, that his neighbor next door is John Mellencamp.  He promised that the next time I come back he would setup a meet and greet with him.  I still have to take him up on his offer…but I’m going to make sure it happens.  

Dom

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 06/08/23 at 18:51:59

Great to hear about the night out, Dominick!

And thanks for the photos!!
Man that theater looks like something to behold. What an interesting venue.

Glad you got to do this.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 06/25/23 at 02:26:16

Just returned from "Shoot To Thrill" playing live in the Commons Center. Left after about an hour.

It was not for me.
They are an AC/DC copy style band and the sound was awful, but I never cared for AC/DC much anyway. The real band have a couple of songs I liked because they are so raw and rough and full of angst, but that's about it for me. So done with AC/DC!

One thing positive was that the crowd was biggish and that states volumes for a small town event like in our little burg.

I'm just glad to see live events coming back.

IP Logged
Andrew77
Verified Member

Music heals the soul

Reply #49 - 06/26/23 at 17:45:26

Had the pleasure of attending my first Jazz Festival in Upstate NY this weekend.  Rained, and rained and rained and Saturday, the day I attended.  But I had a seat under the roof as I was fearing the prospect of sitting in the sun all day.

I had listened to the headliner, Snarky Puppy previously and really enjoy their sound, but all others were new for me.

Smiley Cindy Blackman Santana - WOW!!!  Wonderful!!
Smiley Chucho Valdes Quartet - Loved them!!
Smiley Tower of Power - Amazing!  The couple beside me were lifelong fans so we had a great time dancing and singing along!!  What is Hip?
Smiley Cory Wong - I was not expecting much but I was wrong.  I was very impressed with the wide variety of music.  And the trumpet player did some magic, I have no idea how he made those amazing sounds!!
Smiley Angelique Kidjo - Wonderful music, but a little disappointing on the show.  Encouraged the crowd to sing along but people didn't know the words, so there was some obvious frustration.  I can see how energetic and powerful a concert with her fans would be, but in a festival environment I think you have to teach the crowd a bit before you bring them along.
Smiley Snarky Puppy - Wonderful.  Powerful!

Can't explain how wonderful an experience this was.  So wildly different than listening at home.  I will return to the Jazz Festival again!!

Screenshot_2023-06-26_122216.jpg

The Zen TORII MK4 // WiiM Pro Plus /w Tidal // Klipsch RP-600M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print