04/19/24 at 21:41:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zkit capacitors (Read 1189 times)
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Zkit capacitors
07/19/22 at 06:07:28

I feel like I saw this somewhere but can’t find the answer now- I’m thinking of going through and upgrading all the caps in my zkit. Are there any that would have no affect if they were upgraded?

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: Zkit capacitors
Reply #1 - 07/20/22 at 11:44:02

1) It looks like you have 25th your Zkit. Did you use the Milflex copper in oil? Including the signal caps? If so, I think you are at the cleanest Zkit sound that capacitors can provide.

2) Is there a problem? Are the caps resonating(fuzzy ring) on busy passages? If so, is it coming from the Zkit?

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/20/22 at 14:06:29

Thanks for the help John.  I did the 25th mods but only upgrading those caps that were added for the mod.

There is no major issue, as-is. I have either a bad solder joint or faulty cap on one of the 0.1uf coupling caps, which weren’t upgraded in the 25th mod. I thought I might upgrade the these coupling caps to miflex too. Then I got thinking, “while I’m in there, why not upgrade it all to miflex?”  But considering the investment I only want to replace the ones that will have any perceivable improvement.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/09/22 at 02:53:39

I upgraded the coupling caps and the 0.1 uf 600v across the 20 uf 250v caps to Miflex. Detail seems really nice but it seems like the bass disappeared. I don’t remember this significant of a bass drop out when I did the other 25th mods but I do have several hundred hours on them now… am I just needing to wait for the new miflex caps to burn in or….  
Anyone have any ideas?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print