Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Capacitor Question (Read 1205 times)
Morph
Verified Member

Capacitor Question
11/14/22 at 10:32:27

Good evening

Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for your help.  Also, apologies for the very noob questions, this is the first time I have ventured into anything like building an amplifier.

I am most of the way through assembling the Zenkit 1 and am unclear on a couple of things regarding two of the capacitors.  I understand they can create quite a ruckus if wired incorrectly.  The capacitors are the ones specified in the updated parts list.  I believe I have the correct ones but they do seem awfully, awfully large!

1. Dayton Audio 20mfd 250v capacitors.  I believe these are polypropylene capacitors and therefor do not have a polarity?  But the silkscreen on the board below has a + at one end?  I’m hoping to clarify this.  

2.  The Mondorf capacitors seem to have 2 positive leads.  Should I solder both leads together?

Apologies again for the very basic questions.  I’ve been online searching for answers but to no avail.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: Capacitor Question
Reply #1 - 11/14/22 at 16:30:26

Hi Morph,

As wired the amp will work. Connecting the positive leads together will double the 47uf capacitance to 94uf well out if spec range. This is also the reason for the larger size of the 2 in 1 electrolytic. Poly film caps are large because of the nature of design. Film caps are much larger to get the same value as electrolytics. It don't really matter of how the film caps are oriented in the power supply.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/14/22 at 16:55:04

I might add, it be best to get the right electrolytic capacitors. It will fit better and there would not be a loose hot leads in your build.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Morph
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 11/14/22 at 21:29:01

Hi John

Thank you so much for lending your expertise, I really appreciate it.  I'm in a totally different field and this little journey has been fun but a little daunting and I'd like to get everything just right.  So it is very kind of you to help.

And yes, the parts do seem over large but they're what are linked in the suggested parts pdf.

https://www.decware.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/SUGGESTED_PARTS_FOR_CIRCUIT_BOARD....

I'm down to page 8 on the wait list and dying to hear the Decware sound.

Thank you again

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/15/22 at 11:20:41

Hey Morph where did you get that new list of parts for the Zkit1? Is it Decware sanctioned? Never seen that updated parts lists.

When first looking at your post the thought ran across my mind to suggest bridging the positives together and see how well it starts up. Probably be OK being fed with SS rectification. Not sure though 🤔.  But was hesitant because it looks like you were trying to do with what was on hand by the condition of the 20uf caps.

A double pole switch could be utilized to bridge the caps together after the amp starts as an experiment to find the difference in sound and make use of the dual cap in an interesting way.

Never claimed to be an expert but do try to understand the hidden mysteries of electron boundaries.

Cheers!

John

IP Logged
Morph
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 11/15/22 at 12:33:14

Hi John

You know infinitely more than I good Sir, and I appreciate your help!  The list is posted in the forums, in the ZKit 1 help area.  I just assumed it was correct.  I had to double check that I got the right ones when I saw how big they were and that they didn't at all fit in the confines of the board.  And yes, I was wondering whether I should bridge the Mundorf positive leads or use only one....

All the components are new.  I think I'm just treating them badly.  Currently on Youtube trying to figure out how to wire the Power Transformer so I don't kill anyone Wink

Cheers

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print